Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Your OTHER favourite Campaign Setting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  17:47:02  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert:

I, too, always thought Greyhawk felt cobbled together. It was like all these separate elements were deemed worthy of inclusion, but then tossed together with no thought of how they'd work together.

I'm kind of curious of what you mean by "separate elements" here, as in did you feel the different parts of the campaign world didn't jive or something or is this more to do with Murlynd and his six-shooters or the spaceship in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and that sort of thing? (BTW I'm not spoiler tagging the spaceship, its been almost 30 years since that came out, deal.)

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 28 Aug 2009 17:47:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  18:21:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert:

I, too, always thought Greyhawk felt cobbled together. It was like all these separate elements were deemed worthy of inclusion, but then tossed together with no thought of how they'd work together.

I'm kind of curious of what you mean by "separate elements" here, as in did you feel the different parts of the campaign world didn't jive or something or is this more to do with Murlynd and his six-shooters or the spaceship in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and that sort of thing? (BTW I'm not spoiler tagging the spaceship, its been almost 30 years since that came out, deal.)

Keep in mind that most of my limited Greyhawk experience comes from reading the novels, and only a couple of the gaming supplements... And it's been many years since I read them, and all that stuff has since been destroyed and not yet replaced.

That said, even when I was reading it for the first time, I felt as if some of the nations and citystates were placed on a map, without any real thought to how they'd interact with and influence their neighbors. I felt as if there was a lack of internal cohesion.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  18:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see. Well, I can see how you'd get that impression, though if you looked at the setting more thoroughly I think you'd change your opinion to some extent (not that I'm saying you should examine Greyhawk if you don't care to). Certainly, the setting and its various regions and cities has never gotten the same level of detail as the Realms, so even a detailed examination will leave a fair bit up to the DM, though that has historically been one of its advertising points. In any case, thank you for your elaboration.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  19:24:02  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

No, no... that's kender.

*shivers* Kender. Granted they were/are an original take on halflings but they're just so bloody annoying and twee.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The 3e War of the Lance sourcebook offers some intriguing possibilities for campaigns which can be set on alternate interpretations of Krynn where history proceeded differently. Like no Cataclysms, for example.

Thanks for the suggestion, I might have to get that book. I've just got the 3rd Edn DragonLance CS. Edit: And, of course, the novels.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 28 Aug 2009 19:28:30
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  19:27:45  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That said, even when I was reading it for the first time, I felt as if some of the nations and citystates were placed on a map, without any real thought to how they'd interact with and influence their neighbors. I felt as if there was a lack of internal cohesion.

That's my opinion too. It's a bit like 'toss some random stuff up in the air together and hope that it falls in a nice pattern.' There are some nice aspects of Greyhawk (e.g. Vecna) but it lacks verisimilitude for me.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  20:21:39  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It must be said though, that I have never heard of a Greyhawk-fan who actually liked the novels. With the exception of Gary's novels that is.

And then there is the question of the "real" Greyhawk and the editions. The early versions are very sketchily detailed, with details being added as the editions went along.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  21:05:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

It must be said though, that I have never heard of a Greyhawk-fan who actually liked the novels. With the exception of Gary's novels that is.

And then there is the question of the "real" Greyhawk and the editions. The early versions are very sketchily detailed, with details being added as the editions went along.

It was from Gary's novels that I first drew that impression.

I only read the early novels. I've read the ones by Gary and the ones by Rose Estes, and I think the other one was by Robin W. Bailey. The later novels, with the Justiciar and the pixie, I didn't touch.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  00:18:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Thanks for the suggestion, I might have to get that book. I've just got the 3rd Edn DragonLance CS. Edit: And, of course, the novels.

I'd recommend Towers of High Sorcery too. It's a particular favourite, and a worthwhile resource on all-things-magical for the world of Krynn.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000