Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Divine refugees
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  23:17:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Seeing as how after 1385 any divine realm that doesnt belong to a greater power can be destroyed what are all the Intermediate, Lesser and Demi powers going to do? Then I realsed they'll probly move in with a Greater power who could protect them

Akadi

Bane
-Mask
-Talona
-Loviatar

Chauntea
-Eldath

Grumbar

Istisha

Kelemvor
-Jergal

Kossuth

Lathander

Oghma
-Deneir
-Gond

Shar

Silvanus
-Mielikki
-Lurue
-Gwaeron Windstrom
-Shiallia

Sune
-Tymora
-Sharess
-Lliira
-Selune
-Milil

Talos
-Umberlee
-Auril
-Malar
-Gargos (Tempus probably wouldnt take him in)

Tempus
-Red Knight
-Uthgar
-Valkur

Tyr
-Ilmater
-Torm

Ubtao

Inactive gods
Mystra (DEAD)
Cyric (Imprisoned)
Helm (dead)
Azuth (trapped on the astral plane)
Velsharoon (trapped on the astral plane)
Savras (dead)

To be placed
Beshaba (maybe Talos or Shar)
Gargauth (Bane might take him)
Nobanion
Shaundakul
Siamorphe
Ulutiu
Waukeen
Hoar

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 16 Sep 2007 23:19:40

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  23:52:10  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilistraee might move in with Daddy.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  00:49:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Seeing as how after 1385 any divine realm that doesnt belong to a greater power can be destroyed what are all the Intermediate, Lesser and Demi powers going to do?

Move into my version of the Realms, where it all never happened...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  00:52:44  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*LOL*

That clearly is one answer.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lawfire
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  04:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Lawfire's Homepage Send Lawfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Eldath served under Silvanus, alongside Mielikki - even considering themselves sisters (even though they aren't).

Faerun Roleplaying
http://www.faerunrp.com/forum/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  04:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lawfire

I thought Eldath served under Silvanus, alongside Mielikki - even considering themselves sisters (even though they aren't).

That's correct.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  05:16:25  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
maybe the gods will withdraw from contact with the mortal world, leaving gaping holes in night sky, where their constellations used to be..........oh wait that was another setting

So far what I have read in my copy of the GHotR, the gods do have some significant movement and alliance changes, during the next 9 realms years prior to 1385. It will be interesting to see how the spellplague effects the rest.
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  09:12:25  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would deities whose home planes are the Material plane, need to leave to seek protection?

They might due to the lack of the Weave to sustain them, just unsure what would happen to these deities.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  09:33:43  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now ... just out of interest ... where does this Mystra is dead notion come from? Some well hidden designer blog again?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  09:56:23  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I remember it is from the Grand History of the Forgotten Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  10:02:30  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe some of the divine powers merge to form completely new entities; somewhat similar to the trio of divine elven ladies that cooperate to form a more powerful entity that even (at least in 2e) had its own priesthood (IIRC).
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  12:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Maybe some of the divine powers merge to form completely new entities; somewhat similar to the trio of divine elven ladies that cooperate to form a more powerful entity that even (at least in 2e) had its own priesthood (IIRC).

Yes, this is Angharrad, who is formed by the combination of Aerdrie Faenya, Hanali Celanil, and Sehanine Moonbow (who nonetheless remain three seperate goddesses). She succeeds Araushnee as Queen of Arvandor (and companion of Correlon), and she has her own priesthood.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  23:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Now ... just out of interest ... where does this Mystra is dead notion come from? Some well hidden designer blog again?

As Jorkens said, it's stated in the Grand History of the Realms--there's a spoiler thread in this very forum.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  00:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. My GHotR was posted today, so I will know about that tomorrow afternoon.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if this is nothing more than a cliffhanger which then will lay dormant till the FRCS 4E comes out, next August or the like.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  00:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for that. My GHotR was posted today, so I will know about that tomorrow afternoon.

You're welcome.

quote:
Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if this is nothing more than a cliffhanger which then will lay dormant till the FRCS 4E comes out, next August or the like.

That's possible. But for my part, it's too late--the changes I do know about have already rubbed me the wrong way.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  09:07:26  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, for the first time in about 15 years the delivery service turned up 2 hours earlier today! Is that a sign?

In what respect have you been "rubbed in the wrong way", Rinonalyrna?

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  21:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She dislikes the current course the Realms is heading. No worries though. There is so much to go back to that no matter what you will always have the same old Realms or even have the option of dabbling in the new Realms. Either way, game on!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  01:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What hasn't rubbed me the wrong way? That'd be an easier question to answer. Let me think...

Okay, seriously--mainly it's the in-your-face god killing. The wholesale destruction of Mystra and the Weave--and subsequent "scouring" of thousands of mages--is the salt that tops off the nice, fresh wound.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  01:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

She dislikes the current course the Realms is heading.

Yes, that's correct.

quote:
No worries though. There is so much to go back to that no matter what you will always have the same old Realms or even have the option of dabbling in the new Realms. Either way, game on!

I agree with that too. Sticking with the old Realms suits me best, but to each their own.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  09:00:40  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

What hasn't rubbed me the wrong way? That'd be an easier question to answer. Let me think...

Okay, seriously--mainly it's the in-your-face god killing. The wholesale destruction of Mystra and the Weave--and subsequent "scouring" of thousands of mages--is the salt that tops off the nice, fresh wound.

Couple that with the slaying of various drow and dwarven gods (reasons of the latter look more forced than anything else, I have to admit) and we think along the same wavelength.

Obviously ... some 11,000 years of "normal" Realms still available for our imagination.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11803 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  20:52:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Inactive gods
Mystra (DEAD)
Cyric (Imprisoned)
Helm (dead)
Azuth (trapped on the astral plane)
Velsharoon (trapped on the astral plane)
Savras (dead)

Interesting, can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the book. I'm guessing the idea of various gods over the schools of magic isn't being looked into then.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  22:05:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, true... I'm sure most of us have a truclkload of lore, so the Realms AS WE KNOW IT will continue on in our hearts forever.

I would place Nobanion with the nature deities, given his 'beastial' connections. That, or perhaps the Mulhorandi Pantheon will take him in (if they too aren't destroyed/assimilated) - he was on very good terms with Bast (Sharess). Hoar might do the same, since he's not welcome back amongst the few surviving Untherian deities.

Ulutiu might hang with Ubtao - no particular reason other then they are both ancient primordial pre-human powers.

I think Waukeen would go over to 'party central' with Sune's crew.

The rest may try to gain some power in a desperate attempt to survive. ie,... cue MORE god wars/deaths.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  23:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Obviously ... some 11,000 years of "normal" Realms still available for our imagination.

Well, I'm not going to use the Spellplague, or any of these deicidal events, myself, so the other parts of the timeline are still available too.

But that also means much of the new stuff WotC puts out won't be of much use to me, either, at least if they focus entirely on post-Spellplague events.

Go to Top of Page

LunarMynx
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  19:27:57  Show Profile  Visit LunarMynx's Homepage Send LunarMynx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With Lolth being silent since 1374, I would hope her daughter, Eilistraee would finally claim the portfolio and bring about a time of change once again where all can be called brother and sister =)

and kill off the non believing drow >.<
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  20:22:44  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LunarMynx

With Lolth being silent since 1374, I would hope her daughter, Eilistraee would finally claim the portfolio and bring about a time of change once again where all can be called brother and sister =)

and kill off the non believing drow >.<

Well met, LunarMynx!

First of all a warm and friendly welcome to the Keep! Enjoy your stay in these massive halls filled with lots of lore adn plenty of (mostly) friendly scribes. While you stroll these halls may My Lady of the Forest smile upon thee and may the great Lord of Knowlegde and Binder of what is known always grant thou His blessings!

Now a response to your post: You should read or finish reading the 'War of the Spider Queen'-series. It's development is essential to your statement.

Spoiler warning:
Lolth is no longer silent. She left the Demonweb pits (which was her old realm) and was reborn in her own plane. Therefore she no long is silent which might crush any hope for her Dauther to take up paerts of her portfolio.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 19 Nov 2007 20:32:00
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  00:02:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, you may want to check out the still-in-progress Lady Penitent trilogy. It's almost entirely about the struggle between Lolth and Eilistraee (although it does feature new lore developments that I dislike).

Go to Top of Page

nb_nmare
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  22:46:55  Show Profile  Visit nb_nmare's Homepage Send nb_nmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does Mask really need to move anywhere? His home is the Plane of Shadow, which we know will still be around in 4E (even if does get a rather silly new name).

Similarly, Gargauth's home is the Prime Material, so he doesn't need to go anywhere either.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  02:03:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nb_nmare

Does Mask really need to move anywhere? His home is the Plane of Shadow, which we know will still be around in 4E (even if does get a rather silly new name).

But it's not the planes that are in danger (well, mostly), it's the divine realms.

Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  09:04:15  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the exact text is:

"Many planes are shifted or destroyed as well. Only greater deities prove strong enough to maintain their realms against the resultant chaos."

So the planes certainly *are* in danger. Plus, since the 3rd Edition FR planes and divine realms are often one and the same (e.g. the Gates of the Moon), I would interpret "realms" to mean "home planes".

Besides, strictly speaking Gargauth doesn't have a "divine realm" anyway :).

EDIT: Incidentally, is the Grand History the first reference to the Weave existing outside of Abeir-Toril? I'm sure I remember reading in a 2E book that it was explicity limited to that (or perhaps the crystal sphere), but did any earlier 3E products contradict this?

Edited by - nbnmare on 21 Nov 2007 09:36:21
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  20:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Number one, I said "mostly".

Number two, you missed my point. You said Mask is probably all right because he's on the Plane of Shadow. Most deities DO have their own specific realms on whatever plane they reside in, so it's highly likely that Mask's realm is in danger, at least if he remains a Lesser God.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 Nov 2007 20:11:13
Go to Top of Page

nb_nmare
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2007 :  22:10:20  Show Profile  Visit nb_nmare's Homepage Send nb_nmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but the first two words of the text, i.e. "many planes", rather precludes the possibility that the planes are "mostly" not in danger. It strongly suggests that, well, many of them are in danger. We know Dweomerheart is gone, and I strongly suspect we will also lose most if not all planes inhabited by monstrous deities (such as Clangor, the Deep Cavern, Dragon Eyrie, the Fated Depths, Hammergrim, Jotunheim, and Nishrek). These planes may be removed entirely, or become part of other planes (relocating the Great Mother, Ilsensine, Laogzed, and even Ghaundaur to the Far Plane seems a strong possibility). If the rumours regarding gnomes in 4E prove to be true... well, bye bye Golden Hills.

Yet other planes may very well end up being merged, e.g. Fury's Heart seems a natural fit for the Elemental Chaos (perhaps it will even form a part of the Abyss), and the Barrens of Doom and Despair could end up next to/a part of the Nine Hells in the Astral Sea... oh, and it seems virtually a given that Arvandor will form a part of Feywild.

You also missed *my* point: where the word "realm" is used in this passage, it may very well not refer to "divine realm", but instead be used as an synonym of "plane" (i.e. those planes which are ruled by greater powers are the ones which are safe). Of course, in keeping their plane/realm safe that doesn't preclude the possibility of it becoming part of another plane.

Edited by - nb_nmare on 22 Nov 2007 07:46:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000