Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Living Forgotten Realms announced
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  01:11:20  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

See that post :

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=908402

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  01:51:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

See that post :

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=908402

Lots of FR bashing in that thread, of course.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

NiTessine
Acolyte

Finland
34 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  06:53:01  Show Profile  Visit NiTessine's Homepage Send NiTessine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering the people were just told the campaign they'd been writing, developing and playing for up to seven years, I am surprised there isn't any more vitriol. Heck, I don't like it, either. I love the Realms, but Greyhawk was a better choice for a region-based Living campaign. Less stuff for the module authors to absorb before getting to work, a certain degree of creative control by the regional triads, and few glaring continuity issues.

We don't yet know squat about Living Forgotten Realms, but the way I see it, there will either be a divergent continuity or the campaign will be at the mercy of RSEs. I don't expect the triads to retain much in the way of control over what goes on in their regions, and continuity problems and contradictions will be rife. The existing campaign infrastructure of volunteer workers is trained in working with a different setting and likely has no desire to read up on a new setting - indeed, some already announced their resignations when it was declared a new edition was on the way.

http://nitessine.wordpress.com/
Worlds in a Handful of Dice
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  07:10:35  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
''Can someone describe what a living campaign is? I never got into Greyhawk.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

NiTessine
Acolyte

Finland
34 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  07:37:33  Show Profile  Visit NiTessine's Homepage Send NiTessine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically, it's a worldwide D&D campaign, organized by the RPGA, mostly by the work of volunteers. You get people playing the same adventures with the same rules all over the world, with the characters' actions affecting large plotlines.

The regional system that's in place has areas divided into Core, Metaregions and Regions. Core regions are the hotspots of the campaign world, and anybody, anywhere has free access to these modules - in the current system, I'd say Waterdeep and Anauroch, among other places, would be Core. The rest of the world, then, is organized into regions. Regions are areas divided among real-world regions to call their own and to be developed by the regional triads. These regions are then bunched up as metaregions, larger areas with certain overarching plotlines.

So, if Europe had the Dalelands as its metaregion, you might have UK and Ireland as Scardale, the Benelux Countries as Battledale and Germany as Archendale.

Regional and metaregional scenarios can only be played within that region or metaregion. You live in Germany/Archendale and want to play a Battledale scenario, you must physically travel to the Netherlands to play. The regional system works very well in that each Living Greyhawk region has developed its own unique flavour and atmosphere under the guidance of the triads.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  15:37:47  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if they would use the 'terra ingocnita' of Toril to use as the Living sandbox limited damage would be done... Might even be usefull to develop those areas...
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  16:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you mean outside Faerun? or ...

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  16:09:15  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, given the reports about Living Greyhawk players joining up the Xen'Drik Expeditions Eberron campaign just so they could cause havok, I don't look forward to the most pleasant playing environment in some conventions.
Go to Top of Page

NiTessine
Acolyte

Finland
34 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  16:20:14  Show Profile  Visit NiTessine's Homepage Send NiTessine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Well, if they would use the 'terra ingocnita' of Toril to use as the Living sandbox limited damage would be done... Might even be usefull to develop those areas...

Yah, but you don't make an inherently unreliable volunteer organisation do stuff like that, and it'd be immensely hard to sell. It's gonna happen in the Realms we know and love, in the heartlands of Faerűn.

I'm waiting for more data on the new campaign, but as long as we're not stuck with Vaasa as a region (there's a city in Finland called Vaasa and nobody would ever take the campaign seriously over here), I'll give it a chance.

Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  17:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, I've been avoiding the 4e forums. Matter of fact, I've been determining what I can purchase of 3.5 before the end of the year. Yeah, I'm going to avoid the "Living" campaign after hearing about Raven's Bluff. Yeah, I have no faith in the RPGA.

The fact that Greyhawk players are being screwed, although I don't play there I actually care what happens to the world, for Planescape reasons.

KnighterrantJR has a very good point: there will be Greyhawk players in the Realms and (ick) Eberron campaigns that will be there solely to ruin other peoples' fun. Yes, it's petty, but I think that killing settings (again) is a bad idea.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  00:23:15  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So are the realms being handed over to this Living Realms system?
Like just how much control will the living realms have?

I remember hearing something about how a module is played by many groups and everyone submits their results. The 'official" outcome of the module is a mixture of everyone's results, with the outcome that occurred the most having the dominatance of the outcome.

If a lot of eberron/greyhawkers get involved, could we see the death of popular characters?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  00:29:20  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin
If a lot of eberron/greyhawkers get involved, could we see the death of popular characters?

Only if 1) the adventures results are canon lore and 2) those last feature the popular characters as killable NPCs.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  00:31:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NiTessine

Considering the people were just told the campaign they'd been writing, developing and playing for up to seven years, I am surprised there isn't any more vitriol. Heck, I don't like it, either. I love the Realms, but Greyhawk was a better choice for a region-based Living campaign.

I don't like the vitriol in either direction, actually. I like both settings.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1409 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  03:25:31  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this will cover Malaysia....if so i wonder what region would it be....
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  19:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be utterly thrilled to work on Living Forgotten Realms -- if WotC supplied me with replacements for the hundreds upon hundreds of dollars of 3rd edition and 3.$ books which I've bought. If not, I fear that I may slowly lean towards, and then topple back into, 2nd edition -- the system Ed Greenwood runs!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2007 :  23:06:08  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not an RPGA member and I'm not familiar with how they work, but I have to say that as a fan of the Realms I'd really, really, really rather they didn't do this. For one thing, though due to coming to the game in 3rd edition I have no experience with or attachment to Greyhawk, I don't see how its fair that people who've been playing and enjoying Living Greyhawk for seven years should have there campaign axed in this way. I also don't think its fair to the cannon Realms to shackle it with the weight of uncontrollable outcomes to situations the likes of which this kind of thing could create, [assuming the game will be fully cannon]; this could effect big, big stuff in the setting in adverse ways. I likewise don't see why the RPGA should be forced to navigate around all the developments in the Realms from other sources, RSEs and such. I don't appreciate Greyhawkers hating on my home setting, [though I do not often visit the Boards We Do Not Name and thus don't encounter that much of it], but I think they've got a fair grievance. The Realms already gets coverage, not the coverage we'd like lorewise, but one heck of a lot more than Greyhawk. It strikes me that RPGA "Living" play might be a good place for settings to "retire" to once WotC elects to stop carrying their cannon forward. This would allow the RPGA to have a freer hand, as they've had with Greyhawk, and also allow the setting's fans to continue to follow developments there.

I think I'm done now...

Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  03:01:25  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by questing gm

I wonder if this will cover Malaysia....if so i wonder what region would it be....

Evermeet

Sorry, couldn't resist.

In all actuality, I'm worried that WotC may try to "Retire" the Realms in the way of Greyhawk... Having "lost" 2 settings I like already (Dark Sun & Planescape), and losing Greyhawk (I'm true neutral to the setting, although I like what I've read), I worry for the Realms. This might mean the only "featured" setting would be Eberron.

I know, speculatory panic does no one any good.

I do however, whole-heartedly agree with Intiate's post. I think it's unfair of Wizards to completely obliterate a seven-year campaign like that. I'm not terribly attached to my characters as a player, but I am attached to campaigns and developing the story. That is where I see the Living Greyhawk as a boon for those players, they got to determine the canon lore since nothing was being published. With Realms, this worries me. I don't know if this puts an "end" to the setting or a "new beginning." I hope for the latter.

/d

PS: Special Necromantic Note: We'll be reanimating Greyhawk as a Wight, Planecape as a planar Vampire, and Dark Sun as a god-king dracolich.

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1409 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  05:53:39  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkmeer

quote:
Originally posted by questing gm

Evermeet

Sorry, couldn't resist.

That would be awesome!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  20:25:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>The regional system that's in place has areas divided into Core, Metaregions and Regions. >>Core regions are the hotspots of the campaign world, and anybody, anywhere has free >>access to these modules - in the current system, I'd say Waterdeep and Anauroch, among >>other places, would be Core. The rest of the world, then, is organized into regions. >>Regions are areas divided among real-world regions to call their own and to be developed >>by the regional triads. These regions are then bunched up as metaregions, larger areas >>with certain overarching plotlines.

Ok, so if I want control over the Unapproachable East, I'll have to live where the people who are given control of it live. Ok, everyone who's interested in the red wizards, lets all pick where we're gonna live. Who votes Mississippi and Louisiana with me?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

NiTessine
Acolyte

Finland
34 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  00:44:19  Show Profile  Visit NiTessine's Homepage Send NiTessine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, I don't think FR is going anywhere. There are two 4E products already announced (the campaign setting book and the player's guide with the crunchy bits) and I see no reason for them to butcher the cash cow.

They seem to be suggesting that the campaign's story arcs be coordinated with the Realms authors and become canon. I think it was Steve Conforti, an RPGA high-up, who mentioned there would be module tie-ins with novels, and perhaps also vice versa.

It seems like a nightmare to coordinate all the canon and prevent contradictions, but if done correctly, there will finally be proper dialogue about future storylines between novel authors and developers as well as the LFR people, and we may be saved from another Mysteries of the Moonsea.

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  21:28:34  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"""I'm waiting for more data on the new campaign, but as long as we're not stuck with Vaasa as a region (there's a city in Finland called Vaasa and nobody would ever take the campaign seriously over here), I'll give it a chance."""

Vaasa would be awesome as a home region

and with the area not really Ed's creation, it may be places like that that get picked

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  02:25:44  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't wait for LFR!

Anyone else here in the Province of Ontario, Canada? (except for Ed, of course! )

PS: I plan to get REALLY involved in the campaign...

PS2: Ed/THO --> any chance we will have the pleasure to see you participate/run some LFR events around the GTA or somewhere else in Ontario?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  23:47:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I'd play LFR given the chance simply because I'm not sure I'd want to play in the current "canon" setting.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  00:16:45  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Rinonalyrna! given the chance you wouldn't even play? remember that it's a game sister! it's all about having fun and making friends! and it's in the Realms!!!! what more do you want out of life!!!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  00:21:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Wow Rinonalyrna! given the chance you wouldn't even play? remember that it's a game sister! it's all about having fun and making friends! and it's in the Realms!!!! what more do you want out of life!!!

Well, it's a "maybe", not a definite no. You do have a point. I'd rather play in an older version of the Realms, but I *might* give the 4E Realms a chance.

Also, that's all assuming I even decide to make the time for such gaming (I only have so much spare time...).

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 30 Aug 2007 00:22:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000