Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 vision and mountains
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  14:00:44  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Because I live in one of the low lands I have a question about mountains . Can someone tell me from how far you can spot mountains? I know it is a large distance but can someone give a more accurate range

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  14:29:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as I cant see far without seeing mountains I am not much help here, but there are many factors that play in, such as the altitude of the surrounding lands, weather, air humidity and such, so one set answer is difficult.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  14:56:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The size of the mountain is a factor, too.

I know from spending time in Colorado that you can see the Rockies from at least a couple of hours' drive away. But, as I recall, you can't see them from the entire state. So, I'd say you could see 15,000 ft mountains from prolly 200 miles away, but I don't know about how much further.

And keep in mind that I'm going entirely from memory. That trip was in 1984.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  16:16:52  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the specific answer will really depend on the conditions. In a dry environment, with tall mountains, you'd be able to see quite a distance.

Another factor is the size of the world, also (assuming spherical, like earth).

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  16:31:33  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really live near any big mountains myself either (polar ice caps moving back and forth acros the landscape during ica ages will do that), but from a holiday in Germany I remember that it's possible to see the Alps from the northern shore of Chiemsee in southern Bavaria (Bayern).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  16:59:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I don't really live near any big mountains myself either (polar ice caps moving back and forth acros the landscape during ica ages will do that), but from a holiday in Germany I remember that it's possible to see the Alps from the northern shore of Chiemsee in southern Bavaria (Bayern).

Neither do I. The third highest mountain in Florida is Space Mountain -- the Disney ride!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  17:17:59  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for your comments guys. i really apreciate your help, I know it is a difficult question to answer :-)

Florida, I visited when I was about thirteen yours old :p
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  17:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From where we live in the middle of the Willamette Valley, on a very clear day, we can see Mt. Hood (11,239 ft. elevation), 92 miles away (approx. distance), and the Three Sisters (North 10,085; Middle 10,047; and South 10,358) at 81 miles away.

But, if you cross the Cascades and are in the High Desert area of Eastern Oregon, from Prineville you can make out the Wallowa Mtns. on the border of Idaho (9,500+ in elevation) that are approx 180 miles away.

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  21:03:17  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in Chicago, so not a mountain in sight. =) All I can offer is the following.

Pythagorean Theorem
h^2 = a^2 + b^2
Or
h^2 - b^2 = a^2

b = Radius of Earth = 3959 miles (20903520 feet) + observers elevation
h = Radius of Earth + mountain's elevation
a = Distance from observation point to the top of the mountain

10,000 ft mountain - visible within: 122 Miles
15,000 ft mountain - visible within: 150 Miles
20,000 ft mountain - visible within: 173 Miles
If the observer was at sea level.

Square Root Calculator (I don't think Window's calculator can do this, at least not in Win2000)
http://www.math.com/students/calculators/source/square-root.htm

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Edited by - Wenin on 28 Aug 2007 21:15:29
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  15:12:17  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The level of pollution obviously play a part as well. I've a feeling there's quite a few places on earth today where it was possible to see "big things" further away 300 years ago than it is now.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000