Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 D&D 4e Discussion Scroll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  16:53:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm not so cynical to believe that that decision is purely a marketing ploy, but I am cynical enough to notate that it certainly looks like one.

I am that cynical, but oddly enough I don't see it that way. To me it just seems to be the right time, they've taken back Dragon and Dungeon, and apparently put alot of effort into the online tools, why not go ahead and change the game edition now? That makes more sense than releasing the online stuff in 3.5 and then changing it all in a couple of years. I don't like it, but I can understand it.

I'm a little confused... I wasn't referring to the new edition, in general, I was referring specifically to the "you can't convert characters from 3.x to 4.0" decision. Are we both speaking of the same thing?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  17:30:34  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

And I don't like this 'Spellplague' or how it is just dropped on just like another RSE. There would be better ways to explain these changes that are demanded by the new game mechanics. Now so many NPCs (wizards and bards) will most likely end up dead that I think most of my 1e/2e accessories become more or less hopelessly 'outdated' and useless.

Given that the spellplague is described as having caused a lands of Faerun to lay in smoking ruins, I fear that the consequences for Halruaa are grave, to say the least, and that this beautiful land, which I like very much, will be gone forever (worst case).

Nothing has been said so far of magical creatures like dragons and how they will be affected. But since elfs, which are no less magical, have survived in 4ed, so will dragons (hopefully).

Hmm where did you get all this information about Spellplague ? Or are you doing pure speculation ?

The only official line I remember is from Rich Baker saying that no area is left untouched. This doesn't mean that any area is destroyed.

Edited by - Skeptic on 30 Aug 2007 17:31:23
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  17:51:35  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not so cynical to believe that that decision is purely a marketing ploy, but I am cynical enough to notate that it certainly looks like one.

I am that cynical, but oddly enough I don't see it that way. To me it just seems to be the right time, they've taken back Dragon and Dungeon, and apparently put alot of effort into the online tools, why not go ahead and change the game edition now? That makes more sense than releasing the online stuff in 3.5 and then changing it all in a couple of years. I don't like it, but I can understand it.

I'm a little confused... I wasn't referring to the new edition, in general, I was referring specifically to the "you can't convert characters from 3.x to 4.0" decision. Are we both speaking of the same thing?

You know Wooly, even though I did actually read your entire post, for some reason your comment about "lifespan" stuck in my craw and I associated marketing ploy with lifespan. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, that does bring up a question, why do you consider the "you can't convert characters from 3ed to 4ed" to be a marketing ploy? It seems to me that the ability to convert would actually be a selling point. For me personally, unless this edition just blows my socks off, I wouldn't think of changing unless I could convert my existing "stuff".

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  18:12:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyway, that does bring up a question, why do you consider the "you can't convert characters from 3ed to 4ed" to be a marketing ploy? It seems to me that the ability to convert would actually be a selling point. For me personally, unless this edition just blows my socks off, I wouldn't think of changing unless I could convert my existing "stuff".

If characters can be easy to convert you will not need to purchase PHB II or PHB III, not counting the slats books to have the class/race you want.

For example a Bard appears to be a long shot to be in PHB, usable convesion guide would allow the 3.X Bard to become a 4th Bard. In absense of such conversion you will need to purchase PHB II or subscribe to online zines (just in case Bard is published between PHB and PHB II.

Oh this might not a a ploy, but when they talk about not transferable it is an indication that only Lore of prior editions can be used, no PCs or NPCs.

Edit: a "t" almost looks like an "r"

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 30 Aug 2007 20:39:20
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  20:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want "worrier" to become a core class, every group should have a high level worrier

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  21:43:51  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Hmm where did you get all this information about Spellplague ? Or are you doing pure speculation ?

The only official line I remember is from Rich Baker saying that no area is left untouched. This doesn't mean that any area is destroyed.

Of course I am speculating right now, but given the information we have received in various threads here and links elsewhere,* I consider the spellplague espacially devastating in an area full of mages like Halruaa. Hopefully, I will be wrong.

--
* For instance, the link to the report the future Drizzt is giving about the events of the last 100 years, especially regarding the history of the new orc realm.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  00:16:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found this over on ENworld.

"Rich Baker has been working on the devils and demons in the new Monster Manual. Here's what he has to say:

- Devils are angels who rebelled. They rose up against the deity they served and murdered him. The crime of deicide is unimaginably perverse for angels, and hence devils were cursed and imprisoned in the Nine Hells.

- The Nine Hells are what became of the murdered deity's divine realm after his death. The Hells are the devils' prison, and it is difficult for them to get out without mortal aid.

- We've re-sorted demons and devils a bit, since we want these two categories of monsters to make a little more sense. Devils tend to be more humanoid in form, usually fight with weapons, and often wear armor. Most have horns, wings, and tails. One consequence of this: the erinyes and the succubus were holding down pretty similar territory, so we've decided that they're the same monster, called the succubus, and it's a devil.

- Ice devils don't look like other devils. We've decided that they are actually a demonic/yugoloth race... one that was entrapped by Mephistopheles long ago in an infernal contract. So ice devils hate other devils, retain their insect-like appearance, and have a special loyalty to Mephistopheles. It's one of the reasons why Asmodeus has never chosen to move against Mephistopheles. Asmodeus would of course win if he did, but that would let the ice devils out of their contract."

I'm so not interested in those changes. Ah well.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  00:22:35  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kinda wonder how much we are seeing in the novels that might tie into the spellplague and what the 4e FRCS might contain. Several deities could still get the axe (see the Hallistra series, and Mask and Shar seem to be staring hard at one another). Thay is getting an overhaul, and it was mentioned that 4e FRCS gets a preview in the next Salvatore series.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  00:30:41  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, it seems that 4E Realms are gonna be quite different Realms.

I'm not sure I understand why such a big change was necesseray, maybe making Realms more "accessible" to all the players/DM by making irrelevant most of the huge pile of old lore.

I'll have to think about it...
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  00:50:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, it seems that 4E Realms are gonna be quite different Realms.

I'm not sure I understand why such a big change was necesseray, maybe making Realms more "accessible" to all the players/DM by making irrelevant most of the huge pile of old lore.

I'll have to think about it...

Hmm if you are thinking about that you might consider toning down your sig. a bit at least.

Not saying you should opose the change, just perhaps not endorse as much.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  00:57:40  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
Hmm if you are thinking about that you might consider toning down your sig. a bit at least.

Not about 4E rules, I have not yet read something I don't like about it.
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  02:15:50  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not about 4E rules, I have not yet read something I don't like about it.

I have to agree. Everything I have seen so far I like. Also, I cannot lend a serious thumbs up or down until they release mmore information.

The only good Drow, is a dead Drow.

Aaomas Balkrim, Drow Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  03:02:34  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JEThetford

I have to agree. Everything I have seen so far I like. Also, I cannot lend a serious thumbs up or down until they release mmore information.

Well more information would realy be good, but to say there is nothing you do not like in the change is surprising.

So pray tell what are all the improvements you see being proposed?

Perhaps classes you did not use appear to disappear, certain feats disappear that you might never have used (or considered broken), there is change coming and even the design team is not sure of the changes in full from what they write.

I am just confused about any that says 4th will be better when even design team does not know what 4th will be.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  03:16:49  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am just confused about any that says 4th will be better when even design team does not know what 4th will be.

Because this time (vs 3.x design) the designers/producers don't fear to put the sacred cows to the axe.

Also, it seem that the design team has a clear design idea that will translate to a more clearly focused game. D&D was always ambiguous about what kind of RPG it is, so it's a good news IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  04:00:43  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't like what Kuje is reporting here today... a reorganization of the Lower Planes? erinyes + succubus = devil succubus? that's crap, if you don't mind me saying.

Why is it that everytime whoever owns the moneybag end of D&D decides to make a new edition of the rules, they also need to change/update/destroy the classic D&D mythology?

I know that west coast people have access to a higher grade of Shire Leaf but for crying out loud, this is not creativity! this is rehash! and it screams of "Bloody Heck! We're Out of Ideas!!! WHAT DO WE DO NOW GUYS?!!?!"

4E this, 4E that... the closer this gets the more it's starting to smell.

For my fellow scribes here: sorry, I have one such rant to lay out about every 8 or 9 months. I'll be cheerful again tomorrow; unless I tally up my 3.5 costs so far... [rage rising within the knight, yet again, as he both begins to love and hate his Excel sword...]
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  04:27:22  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I know that west coast people have access to a higher grade of Shire Leaf...

Well PDK, I now know how badly it hurts to shoot diet Mountain Dew out of my nose while laughing, hope you're happy.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  04:29:09  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Something I would like on this thread : don't mix the issues you have with 4E rules and D&D generic fluff v.s. what happens with FR under 4E (like moving the timeline for 10 or 100 years).
Go to Top of Page

Thauglor
Acolyte

Brazil
36 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  07:30:15  Show Profile  Visit Thauglor's Homepage Send Thauglor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If characters can be easy to convert you will not need to purchase PHB II or PHB III, not counting the slats books to have the class/race you want.

For example a Bard appears to be a long shot to be in PHB, usable convesion guide would allow the 3.X Bard to become a 4th Bard. In absense of such conversion you will need to purchase PHB II or subscribe to online zines (just in case Bard is published between PHB and PHB II.

Oh this might not a a ploy, but when they talk about not transferable it is an indication that only Lore of prior editions can be used, no PCs or NPCs.

I'd say it's also marketing oriented in the sense that it limits game choices into official campaigns, most probably forcing new and old players alike into singning up for whatever official stuff is published or released by them, perhaps even having to spend hard earned pennies on a monthly basis.

And by the way news have been flowing concerning FR, I believe I'll have to disagree on the Lore part of Kentinal's post, since rumours are change is coming for the Lore we're used to. This is really sad. Historical consistency (including not toying with the planes) is what makes FR such a believable setting. And, of course, such a preference of gamers.

We don't have to go far to remember that the core game praises consistency. DMG 129 states clearly what many of us have learned from experience:
"A campaign first requires a world. A 'world' is a consistent environment for the campaign. Geography and people are consistent in the world."

On the next couple pages of the DMG we see consistency, along with timekeeping, events and the environment as integral parts of the "Context". There's even a subtopic on "Building on the past". I know you all guys already know that, but I had to illustrate my point.

I have to grant them that world "stagnation is unrealistic" (as also shown in DMG 131). I just hope they care about maintaining superb consistency when putting the setting in motion.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  13:38:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Found this over on ENworld.

"Rich Baker has been working on the devils and demons in the new Monster Manual. Here's what he has to say:

- Devils are angels who rebelled. They rose up against the deity they served and murdered him. The crime of deicide is unimaginably perverse for angels, and hence devils were cursed and imprisoned in the Nine Hells.

- The Nine Hells are what became of the murdered deity's divine realm after his death. The Hells are the devils' prison, and it is difficult for them to get out without mortal aid.

- We've re-sorted demons and devils a bit, since we want these two categories of monsters to make a little more sense. Devils tend to be more humanoid in form, usually fight with weapons, and often wear armor. Most have horns, wings, and tails. One consequence of this: the erinyes and the succubus were holding down pretty similar territory, so we've decided that they're the same monster, called the succubus, and it's a devil.

- Ice devils don't look like other devils. We've decided that they are actually a demonic/yugoloth race... one that was entrapped by Mephistopheles long ago in an infernal contract. So ice devils hate other devils, retain their insect-like appearance, and have a special loyalty to Mephistopheles. It's one of the reasons why Asmodeus has never chosen to move against Mephistopheles. Asmodeus would of course win if he did, but that would let the ice devils out of their contract."

I'm so not interested in those changes. Ah well.

If a succubus is a devil now, how does Aliiza (sp?), Khanyr Vhok's lover come into the mix, I always thought she was a fiend, read demon...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  13:39:36  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll stop buying FR game products the moment 4e is released, novels will still come and I read them and do my own thing with the campaign world, not that I've done anything else...ever.

Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  15:18:58  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m confused about something here. Although I can at least understand a little the want to tweak the rules a bit trying to improve them (although from what I’ve heard it seems more akin to smashing them with a mace and then using the broken pieces to build a different system). What I don’t get is all this stuff about completely removing these classes, races, and stuff that to me are core to the realms. I mean is there something wrong with bards? They may not be the most perfectly balanced class but why is a perfect balance always necessary? Are gnomes broken somehow so badly they have to be thrown away? I’ve read that barbarians and the half-elf may get the boot as well. No more erinyes? I just don’t understand why we need to take away basic classes, races, and monsters.

Gnomes, barbarians, and the half-elf? I mean we aren’t talking about eliminating little known prestige classes here, these are some of the basic parts of the realms and I just don’t understand the advantage to taking these things away.

You never fail until you stop trying.

Edited by - sparhawk42 on 31 Aug 2007 15:21:14
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  15:56:13  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just took a look at the "Orc king spoiler" thing - aren't people reading too much into what merely amounts to an epilogue in a novel? The timeline will not be advanced 100 years - that would contradict what has apparently been said at Gencon, no? So, 10 years it probably is. No worries.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  16:27:27  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems a good thing that I got most of my aggravation out during this edition. By now there is little any one can change in the Realms that would bother me, I just don't care enough about WotC's Realms any more. I just keep ignoring 90% of the changes do my own thing, and try to insert as much of Ed's lore as possible. The last time I tried to get into the canon of today it sent me on a couple of months vacation to Mystara.

If the changes that I have seen rumoured lately do take place though, I will have to start warnings in the beginning of anything I write for Candlekeep, that this is based on earlier versions.
Go to Top of Page

Thauglor
Acolyte

Brazil
36 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  16:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Thauglor's Homepage Send Thauglor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sparhawk42

I’m confused about something here.
(snip)
What I don’t get is all this stuff about completely removing these classes, races, and stuff that to me are core to the realms. I mean is there something wrong with bards?
(snip)

It will be interesting (and sad) to see The Nameless One become the Non-Existent One.

Thauglor
King of the Forest Country and RPGA Master GM

"And in this land I'll proudly stand
Until my dying day, sir;
For whate'er king o'er all command,
I'll still be a Cormyte brave, sir."

The Cormyte's Boast
Master Bard Chantalas
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  16:48:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

If a succubus is a devil now, how does Aliiza (sp?), Khanyr Vhok's lover come into the mix, I always thought she was a fiend, read demon...

Not sure. I'm not even sure if this carries over to FR but it does for the core material.... And if it does carry over.... well, she'll be a devil instead of a demon but she'll still be a fiend since fiends is a broad term for the evil creatures of the lower planes.

Edit: Thinking about this a bit more, it might explain why the fey'ri were mostly killed off..... since it changes the whole lore, if the succubi are now devils, about the fey'ri since they are no longer descended from demons.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 31 Aug 2007 18:53:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  16:53:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

Just took a look at the "Orc king spoiler" thing - aren't people reading too much into what merely amounts to an epilogue in a novel? The timeline will not be advanced 100 years - that would contradict what has apparently been said at Gencon, no? So, 10 years it probably is. No worries.

That's actually my thinking, too. Especially since, in all the previous (post-IWD trilogy) Drizzt books, he's been doing journal entries from some unspecified point in the future. I understand that this is a prologue/epilogue, and not a journal entry, but I'm still not willing to assume the century jump.

The prospect does scare me, though. Not only will it mean the death of some of my fave characters and shake everything up, but it also has the potential to be an ugly mess like the Word of Blake Jihad was in the BattleTech universe. Love it or loathe it (I very much fall into the latter category, myself), none can deny that it has been a very polarizing event in that universe. The feelings I've seen expressed over that one have blown away any complaints I've seen about any particular RSE, even including the ToT.

The prospect of something like that happening to the Realms worries me greatly. Even the thought of that kind of change has me pondering my continued following of the setting. I won't make any decisions until I actually have the first couple of products in my hand, but it is a possibility I'd have never considered even a month ago.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  18:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I really don't like what Kuje is reporting here today... a reorganization of the Lower Planes? erinyes + succubus = devil succubus? that's crap, if you don't mind me saying.

Why is it that everytime whoever owns the moneybag end of D&D decides to make a new edition of the rules, they also need to change/update/destroy the classic D&D mythology?

I agree. I'm not massively interested in the Planes to be honest, though I know a lot of people are, but that's just weird. A succubus is a demon and always has been. What is this need to shuffle the pack? 3E got it right by bringing the Lower Planes back into focus more (at least to my mind they came back more), but this just seems like change for its own sake, especially as there's so much of the existing mythology it just rips up.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  19:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to today's Design & Development page at Wizards.com (link below), it seems like Bards aren't being done away with. While the article doesn't specifically say that a the Bard class we've come to know will be present in 4e it is hopeful that something like it will be playable.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20070831a
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  20:46:00  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinking about it, I prefer to see the FRCS set in 1475 than 1385. Why ? Because I prefer to jump to this point than having to deal with a fixed future coming from a novel written by an author who is known for not following canon lore.

Edited by - Skeptic on 31 Aug 2007 20:47:15
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  22:42:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Follow up post from Rich's WOTC journal.

"Wow, I'm sort of surprised -- more people were reading than I thought. It looks like I stirred up a real hornet's nest with my comments on the work I'd recently done on devils.

For those of you worried about mashing succubus and erinyes together... I do think there's room in the game for both a fury and a succubus. The problem is, erinyes have rarely been depicted as furies (ironic, given the name of the monster). Even in 3.5--about the most fury-like depiction of the monster in a long time--erinyes have charm monster at will. It's their iconic shtick, really. That's the sort of thing we would like to improve on.

One quick point of clarification I'd like to make... Don't assume that we're going to apply the 'Points of Light' conceit to existing campaign worlds. I think Realms and Eberron would prosper if they got just a little more points-of-lightish, but we're not going to overthrow worlds with that much breadth and history.

Anyway, in other news: Phil Athans, my editor for Swordmage, returned my marked-up first draft to me. I'll be working on my second draft for the next few weeks in the evenings and on weekends. Fortunately, he didn't detect any need for major plot restructuring (drop these 20,000 words and write the correct 20,000 words, which has happened to me before). I'll spend the time trying to get the voice and characterization to my satisfaction. As I've said before, I'm trying to tell a smaller, more character-driven story in Swordmage than I did in Last Mythal, so I'm looking forward to the opportunity to dig into it again."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000