Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 D&D 4e Discussion Scroll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  07:16:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No druids, bards or gnomes? That would take out my whole top three list at once. If they managed to take the Ranger out as well I would have a hard time choosing a character if I for some strange reason where to partake in a 4th ed. game.

I still don't see them doing one of the mass killings of the TOT though, a class removed will probably be found in one form or another as part of another class a "kit" or something else.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  11:36:08  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember someone saying that halflings, half-elves and gnomes might all three be cut.

Chris Sims said that skills are practically divided into two categories. It seems that all the 'heroic' skills (Climb, Jump, Tumble, Perception, etc.) are measured in three ranks: Unskilled (+0), Skilled (+5) and Focused (+10). All the 'role-playing skills' (Craft, Profession, Painting, Weaving, Tailoring, etc.) have no 'mechanical' role in the game - you are free to pick them as you want to (it remains yet unclear if you can pick just one from the list).

I find it a bit unbalanced that the player actually chooses how good he is at these 'role-playing skills', since who wouldn't want to be a Master Armorsmith at 1st level, for example? It also seems a bit unbalanced to allow for multiple picks, although you should be able to do it, because you could have 'multi-talented' artist/craftsmen in 3.X edition, too. Of course, 3.X edition handled it better, because if you wanted to play an armorsmith/weaponsmith/bowyer/engraver you had to sacrifice those all-too-precious skill points to do that.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  13:20:37  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

I remember someone saying that halflings, half-elves and gnomes might all three be cut.

It is rumour at the moment. I haven't seen a link from a wotc employee yet saying 'these races/classes have been fully cut.' We might hear more in October or December.

One question, is warlord a class or a 'play-style'?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  13:39:42  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Oh, I'm not arguing the way libraries are set up or their policies... I'm just saying that they could, if they wanted, leave people unable to save files, at no cost to the library. My point wasn't whether or not they would -- only that they could.

Yes, you're correct! It could be done, but either at the cost of staff keeping constant vigil over potential abuse of their book codes and DI account or setting up a separate computer (with no possibility to save or download files) for all potential DI users. Either way it will cost libraries some money, the latter option being the cheaper one in the long run, but probably too expensive for most libraries anyway.

I just hope that WoTC realizes this, because not only are they going to lose money over copies that many libraries won't be able (or even willing) to buy. They will also lose money because many potential customers won't now have a chance to lend and check out 4E books for free before deciding whether to buy them or not.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  13:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

One question, is warlord a class or a 'play-style'?

Warlord will most likely be one of the Core Classes.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  13:49:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warlord was presented as a class at GenCon.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  15:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
imo Druid is for a good part possable to fit as a kit for cleric (basicly trading weapon/armor knowlegde, parts of the spelllist and the spontanius cure/infict with Wild shape and maybe some 'new' nature themed spells) so ... but nevertheless ... i buy the first book ... if i like what i read i jump the others ... if not its a waste and i keep going in 3.5 which when all's said and done aren't that broken any places that it can't either be repaired by houserules or ignored (in one way or another)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  15:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I'm also not at all keen on the fact that it seems likely some of the core races and classes will be dropped. I'm sorry, but all of the bards and druids (to name two that are rumoured not to be making the initial cut) simply vanishing is utterly ridiculous.

To be quite honest, losing druids doesn't bother me. I came up in 2E, when druids had to be true neutral. And because of that, I tend to still think of them that way, even though 3E widened the alignment options for them. I just don't see much reason for a defender of a particular natural area to have to leave that area long enough for regular adventuring... I think druids are great as NPCs, just not as PCs.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the class myself, I've never played one and I've never really been tempted to. However, I do see them as being an important class that has substantial roots within the game. And at least one of my players would be very disgruntled were they to not make the cut.
I also see adventuring druids as just like adventurers of any other class - they're driven by something else a bit different to others who follow similar paths. In the same way that the majority of clergy spend most of their time at the temple, most wizards spend their time in study of the Art, most fighters are involved with the local militia or army, and so on.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  17:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since Druids are - especially in the Realms, more than in the standard setting - some kind of priests of nature, chances are good that they will be part of 4ed, maybe as a special class of clerics. But loosing them would be a huge loss because that would deprive us of some of the most interesting characters of the Realms like for example Gildenfire! I would really miss this specific druid.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  19:47:10  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[brTo be quite honest, losing druids doesn't bother me. I came up in 2E, when druids had to be true neutral. And because of that, I tend to still think of them that way, even though 3E widened the alignment options for them. I just don't see much reason for a defender of a particular natural area to have to leave that area long enough for regular adventuring... I think druids are great as NPCs, just not as PCs.

Like Wooly, I too came into D&D with 2e and for similar reasons have never really felt comfortable with a druid as a PC; though I could see druid as some sort of PrC equivalent for a nature priest. And I wonder why they haven't made that leap with 3.x. Using a mix of feats, required skills, required domains etc. it would be easy to set the stage and have a properly focussed character switch to the druid PrC at level 6 or so... availble to a host of nature deities (including Malar...)

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 27 Aug 2007 19:48:09
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  19:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a PrC is something you adopt after beginning your career in some other profession: like a sorcerer who discovers his dragon heritage and becomes a dragon disciple. But to be a druid is something you can be from the very beginning; you are not (necessarily) first a priest of Miellicki and then chose to become a druid, but you start venerating Miellicki right from the beginning as a druid. So it’s not a PrC, but a base class, IMHO.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  20:03:47  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I also came into D&D with the 2nd ed., but I had already been accustomed to druids from stories ranging from Asterix comics to Celtic myths so they were as natural as Wizards. Without the druids some of the "mystery" would disappear from the setting for me personally. Priests are one thing, druids something older and unknown.

As for using the druid in a campaign, I never saw it as more difficult than using the other priests and finding reasons for them to adventure outside of their temple.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  22:51:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been gone the last two days (or most of them), so here is what I've gleaned on some of these questions that have been brought up recently.

Races: Lots of buzz on this one has it that tieflings end up as a "core" races in the Player's Handbook. The promotional pictures they handed out on flash drives included pictures of a tiefling, as well a picture of "fighter and rogue" where the "rogue" appeared to be said tiefling.

So far in the designer's blogs at WOTC's site, they have mentioned dwarven, elven, and half-elven racial abilities being designed, and there has been no mention of gnomes by any of the designers, except in one of the play test blogs where the person posting actually said that they had adapted a chaos gnome using the new rules, implying that it was not something that already existed there.

Another strange thing is that there was a picture one of the flash drives handed out that had an "eledrin wizard," which was a picture of a fairly elven looking character studying a spellbook. There hasn't been much information on if some form of eledrin might end up as a PC race, or if this picture might have been something included as a monster teaser (the flash drive had a picture of a beholder on it as well).

Earlier in this very thread Faraer posted a link to a sketch of a halfling cleric as well, which seems to indicate that halflings will be a core races as well.

Classes: Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard, Paladin, Ranger, and Barbarian have all been mentioned by the designers in their blogs or in the interviews that they did on You Tube. It has also been mentioned that "Vancian" magic is not entirely gone, as one designer has said that wizards that cast all of their spells for the day will be at "about 80% of their total power."

Also, the designers mentioned that the Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, and Wizard have clear roles, and that these races define these roles. The other classes do the same thing as the above four, but differently, an perhaps with some hybrid abilities. The point being that the four "base" classes will be fleshed out much more fully than the later ones.

There was a picture of a "dwarven warlock" on the flash drives as well. This may or may not be an indication that the class will be in the 4th edition Player's Handbook. (On the last D&D podcast they mentioned that apparently in 3rd edition assassins were going to be a "core" class right up until the absolute final cut, when they were shifted to a PrC.

The reference to Warlord was from a screen capture of the D&D Insider demo at the 4th edition announcment, where the video of the program running showed a "Warlord" as one of the characters. Since then there have been some theories that a Warlord might be along the lines of the 3.5 Marshal, perhaps with some of the abilities of the Dragon Shaman and Bard thrown in.

Skills: In the Star Wars Saga Edition game, skills are either untrained or trained, there are no points in a given skill. Once you are trained you can spend a feat to gain skill focus. So a character that is untrained has a skill check of 1/2 level + relevant modifier.

A character that is trained has 1/2 level + relevant modifier +5, and having skill focus adds another +5 to the total. Some skills cannot be used untrained, and some skills that can be used untrained have aspects to them that cannot be used untrained (you can use survival to find food and water untrained, but you can't use it to track, for example).

Also, in Saga a lot of skills have been consolidated, such as spot/listen/search into Perception, and move silent/hide into stealth.

Again, while it has been said that Saga is a "good preview" this doesn't mean that the skills will work exactly the same (in the old Star Wars d20 game, for example, "disable device" was used to open a lock or disarm a mechanical trap, and open lock and disable device were separate skills in D&D).

NPCs: There is still an NPC class in Saga, but there is only one class, "non heroic." The class is only charted out to 10 levels, and is significantly weaker than "heroic" classes are.

Great Unknowns: There is no official list of what classes or races are or aren't making it into 4th edition, but the designers have hedged their bets a bit my mentioning that just because it doesn't get into the Player's Handbook doesn't mean its out of 4th edition.

This has caused some to theorize that the bard may end up being a PrC, or that gnomes may have "PC stats" in the Monster Manual or some other source (not every monster is suppose to be playable as a PC race in 4th edition, and so there won't be LA listings for monsters, but rather separate listings for them as PC races if they seem to be likely candidates).

One designer is mentioned as playing a paladin, and the ranger is noted as having "killed the scout and taken some of his stuff." Paladins have also been mentioned as not being tied to LG, with the comment associated with this being, "you could play a paladin of Asmodeus if you wanted to."

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 27 Aug 2007 23:08:43
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  23:06:23  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
One designer is mentioned as playing a paladin, and the ranger is noted as having "killed the scout and taken some of his stuff." Paladins have also been mentioned as not being tied to LG, with the comment associated with this being, "you could play a paladin of Asmodeus if you wanted to."

It's important to add that Asmodeus is a god under 4E.

The paladin is becoming an "holy champion", a very good thing IMHO.

Edited by - Skeptic on 27 Aug 2007 23:07:07
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  23:56:21  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am wondering if the Forgotten Realms logo will be changed again like the D&D logo (like it did when it changed to 3.0)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  00:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I am wondering if the Forgotten Realms logo will be changed again like the D&D logo (like it did when it changed to 3.0)

That is very likely. WoTC will almost certainly redesign the FR brand/look, because it is a common marketing strategy which signifies change and evolution in the product line ("Look guys - it will be a new and even better FR") and helps consumers to identify 4E FR products.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  07:11:33  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is still nothing about making talking wombats (known for their deadly wombat-skills) a core class in the Realms at least? The injustice continues I see.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  12:48:12  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone answering my inquire about the warlord. Now I have to make a comment about DI, libraries and WotC losing money. In the past few years I have gone to quite a few various public libraries in the Metroplex to do some research. Out of nine of the public libraries only two of them carried Dragon. And out of these two only one carried it until last year, the other one stopped in the late 90’s
I would like to mention university libraries which are open to the public too. They (the universities I traveled to or work with) never carried it at all but the mechanisms for carrying Dragon or Dungeon do exist for them…I see so much potential for Dragon when it comes to electronic resources at a research library with an anthropology department or sociology department.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Thauglor
Acolyte

Brazil
36 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  13:09:33  Show Profile  Visit Thauglor's Homepage Send Thauglor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Sage Advice
quote:
"Dear Sage
Will I be able to convert my favorite character to 4th Edition?

A: We learned the hard way with 3rd Edition that accurate conversion really doesn't work. Thus, we're encouraging everyone to start at 1st level and learn the new system from the ground up.
While you'll certainly be able to reinvent many existing characters with the new system, there's no way a conversion guide could adequately cover the vast array of options that have been published over the lifespan of the game.
We'll eventually revisit many favorite parts of the previous edition, and along the way we'll also explore plenty of new territory as well."

Please, people, don't get me wrong. Let me say first that I'm not outright against 4th Ed. Being one among many AD&D fans who've felt the need to create house rules to overcome some stupid limitations of the older versions of the game, I like change. At least when it promotes better gaming experience. The not so "old" 3.5 Ed. barely needed any personal adjustments, having officially cast most 2nd Ed. limitations aside. Now with 4th Ed., the ideas of making combat faster and PC preparation shorter are interesting ones, though not to be taken lightly, especially with groups that crave for more realism.

But our dear publishers are not talking about adjusting what we feel is amiss. They go straight to "game lifespan". With such ease? How come? That's plain and simple marketing! It seems as if we're buying groceries. Games should not come with an expiration date. And books, as we know the hard way, are not exactly cheap.

Moreover, with 3rd Ed. I feel like I bought a car with just one set of tyres that cannot be replaced. Or a software with no rights for updates. I'll grant them that it is difficult to make a good conversion guide to the new rules. And if done it certainly would not cover all the possibilities of 3rd Ed. Still, those are not reasons to simply dismiss the idea.

I won't demand a perfectly accurate conversion guide. I understant the shortcomings. But come on!! They have a responsibility with us! The least they should do was try! ... now I feel that such a work would only extend the "lifespan" of 3rd Ed. published books. And that's not good for marketing, right?

Since it seems the conversion will be left for us to do I propose we gather a taskforce to tackle the job. Who knows what good may come from that...

Thauglor
King of the Forest Country and RPGA Master GM

"And in this land I'll proudly stand
Until my dying day, sir;
For whate'er king o'er all command,
I'll still be a Cormyte brave, sir."

The Cormyte's Boast
Master Bard Chantalas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  13:41:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a problem with that, too... 2E had a longer lifespan, and once you factor in 8,000,001 proficiencies, magical items, spells, kits, Complete X Handbook options and Player's Options books, you had just as many, if not more, things to convert over to 3E. And yet they released a conversion book for that... It did the logical thing: it ignored everything beyond the core, and said how to make an approximate translation of 2E to 3.0. It wasn't perfect, and it wasn't pretty, but it was better than this "Oh, sorry, you've got to start over." approach.

I'm not so cynical to believe that that decision is purely a marketing ploy, but I am cynical enough to notate that it certainly looks like one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  22:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that ultimately they'll backtrack on that one and release some kind of conversion guide. There will be a public clamouring for one, so I think they will release one in reaction to this. To say 'start over' also seems to me a bad marketing ploy, as it might put off some people who were undecided about converting because they don't want to lose the character they've been playing with for years.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  22:13:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There will be a theme/artistic guide to how to make a 3rd look like a 4th character, they think.

Depending on what they come up with final rules, the odds are very low there can be direct math translation of a 3rd to 4th.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Darius Talynth
Acolyte

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  23:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Darius Talynth's Homepage Send Darius Talynth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many interesting comments here.

I think they will release some form of conversion guidelines for 4th Edition. I actually think it would get more players to buy the 4th ed books if they did. Afterall, most people would want to keep their existing campaigns going, and if they were able to sustain those games through a conversion to 4th ed ruels, and found 4th ed to be a better game, it would only be a matter of time before those players updated their book collections.

As for the other comments about game "lifespan" I ask: How would we feel if they never updated the game? WOTC could always say "D&D has run it's life. I doesn't generate enough $$ for us anymore with just source books. We are retiring it from our product lines." What would our reaction be to that?

Ultimately we all have the choice to purchase the new products or not. None of us really need them. Each previous edition of the D&D game is still a viable game in it's own right, it is just that those versions are no longer officially supported. WOTC sees the new edition as a way to, yes, make money but also keep D&D fresh and alive as a brand, so they can make $$ ha ha. I just hope they do a real nice job on the new game.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  01:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Thinking about it more, I'm actually looking forward to (what I call) "FR 4". Cities and entire civilizations may have been lost along with countless riches. A new status quo among the gods. Epic wars that could have been fought between the Shade, the Red Wizards and the Zhents. Minor characters and groups that could have risen when the majors fell. New great secrets to replace the old ones that have been revealed (Rage of Dragons, Myth Drannor, etc.) New worlds to replace the somewhat derivative civilizations to the east, west and south of Faerun. If Ed and Wizards can do all that AND make it feel like the Realms we've come to know and love, it will be worth every dollar for me.

Emphasis mine. It may be possible to do exactly that...but for me, personally, I doubt it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  01:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for the potential loss of the Chosen... don't get me started. Pandering to people who think they're overpowered munchkins and don't understand the reason for their existence is no reason to get rid of them.

That's exactly what I've been thinking...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  22:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
As for the potential loss of the Chosen... don't get me started. Pandering to people who think they're overpowered munchkins and don't understand the reason for their existence is no reason to get rid of them.

That's exactly what I've been thinking...

I agree whole-heartedly... I guess this is the result of another very one-sided 'marketing survey', or something.

And I don't like this 'Spellplague' or how it is just dropped on just like another RSE. There would be better ways to explain these changes that are demanded by the new game mechanics. Now so many NPCs (wizards and bards) will most likely end up dead that I think most of my 1e/2e accessories become more or less hopelessly 'outdated' and useless.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  23:07:52  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

And I don't like this 'Spellplague' or how it is just dropped on just like another RSE. There would be better ways to explain these changes that are demanded by the new game mechanics. Now so many NPCs (wizards and bards) will most likely end up dead that I think most of my 1e/2e accessories become more or less hopelessly 'outdated' and useless.

Given that the spellplague is described as having caused a lands of Faerun to lay in smoking ruins, I fear that the consequences for Halruaa are grave, to say the least, and that this beautiful land, which I like very much, will be gone forever (worst case).

Nothing has been said so far of magical creatures like dragons and how they will be affected. But since elfs, which are no less magical, have survived in 4ed, so will dragons (hopefully).

Varl

Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  14:54:03  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.. I added my comments in the wrong spot but at least they're very visible...
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  16:24:55  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I read on the wizards-site penned by Mike Mearls I have to agree with tho, wholeheartedly. The entire game-/encounter-balance thing in 3.5 is silly. One CR4 mob for 4 4th level characters. A CR4 fighter (4th) level is enough of a challenge for a party that consists of one 4th level fighter, a 4th lvl cleric and so on? That's just twisted...still.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  16:37:20  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not so cynical to believe that that decision is purely a marketing ploy, but I am cynical enough to notate that it certainly looks like one.

I am that cynical, but oddly enough I don't see it that way. To me it just seems to be the right time, they've taken back Dragon and Dungeon, and apparently put alot of effort into the online tools, why not go ahead and change the game edition now? That makes more sense than releasing the online stuff in 3.5 and then changing it all in a couple of years. I don't like it, but I can understand it.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000