Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 What the Hell is going on?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2003 :  16:52:14  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Since 2 or 3 days there are completly irrevelant post from a few scribes. (Ithrin and pendangorth in "Exilion?")
I was wondering if it was just the price of the fame of if a group of people had decided to annoy us

Edited by - zemd on 17 May 2003 16:52:42

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2003 :  16:59:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd been wondering the same, actually. These posts are absolutely zero contribution, and they're only getting in the way.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2003 :  17:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

Unfortunately my dear zemd, we get the odd rogue turn up at the Candlekeep gates with promises of tales and Realmslore. No sooner have they taken a seat in the library that they begin to insult the other scribes and attempt to start a so-called war between Candlekeep and other locations of the Realms. I personally can not understand such individuals as they do not even represent such other locations, and as we know from previous unpleasant experience, this behaviour is much disliked by us as it is by these other locations of the Realms.

::sigh:: People such as this will come and go, its best to ignore them and Ill do my best to remove their scrolls as soon as I can. In fact, ill enforce a zero-tolerance and banish any offenders.

Apologies to the other scribes for this irritation, it has already turned away one scribe that we have seen, hopefully nobody else has been put off by this immature behaviour.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2003 :  19:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zero tolerence? [twitch] That phrase has bad connotations . . . [twitch twitch]

I wasn't suggesting anything so drastic for those who get off on the wrong foot. Some of them might very well be useful members once they settle down. I think that the incidents referred to here suggest that the parties in question are not likely to be that, but that doesn't mean we need a zero-tolerence policy.

Or am I thinking of something harsher than was in your mind? That might very well be the case -- ZTPs have gotten out of control over here, so I'd have a dimmer view of it than on your side of the Pond.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2003 :  21:25:44  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Zero tolerence? [twitch] That phrase has bad connotations . . . [twitch twitch]

I wasn't suggesting anything so drastic for those who get off on the wrong foot. Some of them might very well be useful members once they settle down. I think that the incidents referred to here suggest that the parties in question are not likely to be that, but that doesn't mean we need a zero-tolerence policy.

Or am I thinking of something harsher than was in your mind? That might very well be the case -- ZTPs have gotten out of control over here, so I'd have a dimmer view of it than on your side of the Pond.

My meaning of this, my dear Bookwyrm, is that any insults towards other members or any talk of "starting a war" will not be tolerated. I believe members who start this way will not "settle down" as they arrived with the intention of causing a rift. As I mentioned earlier, one member has already left due to such posts and I dont want anyone to feel uncomfortable in Candlekeep like that again!

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 17 May 2003 21:26:18
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2003 :  09:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I see. Apologies for my overreaction.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  13:50:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps someone should remind these troublemakers, the one absolute rule of Candlekeep - "He who destroys knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, is himself destroyed. Here, books are more valuable than lives".

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  17:39:03  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Perhaps someone should remind these troublemakers, the one absolute rule of Candlekeep - "He who destroys knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, is himself destroyed. Here, books are more valuable than lives".

Good learning...

Ah, a good idea.

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

Laurelessa
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  02:41:30  Show Profile  Visit Laurelessa's Homepage Send Laurelessa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't anyone ever feel bad for them? Maybe they are just new and don't know and better... ::silence as she looks over the posts::...or not.

"Who are we to judge those who have not the will to judge themselves? Answer me that, and then I may join your cause."
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  05:47:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Believe me, we're not exagerating. This morning (yesterday morning, now) a new guy posted, saying he was the new owner and would be making this site a better place. The first step was to ban an insutling individual, by the name of Bookwyrm. Then Zemd, Artalis, Mournblade, and Alaundo.

This was just stupid. I mean, obviously it wasn't true because a) I'm still here; b) he was listed as a New Scribe, not a Moderator; and c) Alaundo firmly showed him the front gates. (Nice, quick work on your part, by the way, Alaundo. )

That's just a sample of the stupidity we've had recently. Personally, I think it was a disgruntled ex-member named [Bookwyrm checks to see if Zemd is around] Exilion. All the pseudos had the same style to them, it seemed to me. It seemed to be the same as *ahem* that which that 'certain outlaw' (Exilion) had when he was spreading strife and misery around.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  08:36:40  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said, Bookwyrm. I think youre quite correct in your assumption of the culprit too. The style (I use the word very loosely) of the emails is just so obvious and laughable. He clearly has nothing else in his life and somehow finds it amusing to write pathetic posts. Still, at least theyre getting more ridiculous and bringing more of a chuckle lately

I think the best thing is that if he posts again, then just ignore those posts, dont respond at all. In fact, dont even bother giving him the satisfaction of the "Read" count increasing

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 23 May 2003 08:38:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  08:56:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a few quick questions,

Is there anyway to prevent these disruptive elements from desecrating the peace and serenity here at the great halls of Candlekeep?.

and -

I wonder how other forums combat this (growing) problem?.

Good learning...

Edited by - The Sage on 23 May 2003 13:02:34
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  09:17:40  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Just a few quick questions,

Is there anyway to prevent these disruptive elements from desecrating the peace and serentity here at the great halls of Candlekeep?.

and -

I wonder how other forums combat this (growing) problem?.

Good learning...

Indeed there are a couple of actions we could take, however I am holding off on them for now as it may cause a slight inconvenience to new travelers and scribes entering the library.

Maybe higher security is becoming a must in this day and age. The next thing we'll know is therell be an army of orcs pulling down the shelves, gods forbid ::shudder::

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 23 May 2003 09:20:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  13:09:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo said -
quote:
Indeed there are a couple of actions we could take, however I am holding off on them for now as it may cause a slight inconvenience to new travelers and scribes entering the library.

Maybe higher security is becoming a must in this day and age. The next thing we'll know is therell be an army of orcs pulling down the shelves, gods forbid ::shudder::
I understand the difficult situation that you and the rest of the great Candlekeep staff are sometimes put in because of these disruptive elements, good Alaundo.

I also appreciate the efforts you have undertaken to continue to keep this place a happy and informative refuge for those of us who wish to learn and enjoy the sagely company.

Great thanks to you,

May our learning be free and unfettered

Edited by - The Sage on 23 May 2003 13:11:10
Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  15:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::sigh:: is there a way to somehow block these people before they start insulting others??

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

Candlekeep Webmaster
Webmaster

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  16:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Candlekeep Webmaster's Homepage Send Candlekeep Webmaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malice

::sigh:: is there a way to somehow block these people before they start insulting others??

Hi All

Unfortunately not. Human nature and bad intentions cant be predicted. As Alaundo says, there are a couple of options open to us, one which we will introduce soon which should help a little, the other is more drastic but will ensure that NO bad posts will enter the forum at all. Lets see how it goes anyway. Hope this hasn't caused too much of a disruption to anyone.

I personally agree with Rad, just ignore the offenders, dont even read the post if it can be identified as offensive and it will be deleted as soon as possible.

Enjoy your postings!

Jay
Candlekeep Webmaster

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  00:36:46  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hi All

Unfortunately not. Human nature and bad intentions cant be predicted. As Alaundo says, there are a couple of options open to us, one which we will introduce soon which should help a little, the other is more drastic but will ensure that NO bad posts will enter the forum at all. Lets see how it goes anyway. Hope this hasn't caused too much of a disruption to anyone.

I personally agree with Rad, just ignore the offenders, dont even read the post if it can be identified as offensive and it will be deleted as soon as possible.

While we are on this subject, I've just noticed the following post in the guest book:

Name: Korbin Deathstalker
Email:
DMPlayer: DM & Player
How did you find us?: Orginally Roaming months ago, Again from Spam on another site
Date: 2003-03-23
Time: 06:14:10

Comments:
I liked your site before, I have used it for gathering source for some of my FR writings, Gaming and other items I do to pass time. Reciently on another forum site I frequent and post to often, a certain Rekindlin started posting masses of Spam both advertiseing you and saying we needed to start a war against Candlekeep. I do not know what kind of Crack he got ahold of but I thought i would break down and come visit again and let you know about your troublesome member.

Anyone know who Rekindlin maight be or why he should have a grudge against Candlekeep?

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  10:25:53  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was a rogue scribe in Candlekeep.
I talked to him and helped via AIM, and suddenly he began to write stupid posts
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  11:31:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I remember Rekindin, I dont recall that he stuck around for that long but his time here wasnt very pleasant.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  09:06:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I remember somebody by that name as well. I believe I encountered said individual at several different forums, and as I recall, I also think he once rejected my offers for help, and even hurled insults at me.

Oh well

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2003 :  09:29:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In future Alaundo, perhaps you could send them to spend some time with Miirym. You know how hungry she gets ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  09:16:00  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im also a rogue in Candlekeep... well, i won't insult anybody, don't mind , im just checking out
::hide in the shadows::
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  19:43:03  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now we have a new scribe....Exiliana. Now if that's a coincidence I am gonna go buy some lottery tickets tonite!!!

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  06:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm pulls out his copy of the Roll of Members, paging through it with a look of confusion on his face.

I'm afraid I don't see that name anywhere . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  07:02:24  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Bookwyrm pulls out his copy of the Roll of Members, paging through it with a look of confusion on his face.

I'm afraid I don't see that name anywhere . . . .

::looks sheepishly as he walks back into the library after just closing the front gates to Candlekeep::

Hmmm, no youre not mistaken Bookwyrm, the scroll is quite correct

::wanders off whistling...quietly of course::

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 04 Jun 2003 07:02:52
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  07:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha. Problem solved then.

::gives it no further thought::

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  12:15:04  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quite fast, although
and it doesn't sound very well, does it? Exilion, i don't like much. I prefer some like Ecthelion or Glorfindel, Fingolfin, Eilinel...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  13:51:45  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This post isnt related to the subject of this topic but the title still fits.

So just "what the hell is going on"??? Where is everybody? Everytime i check new active topics the last page or so of each topic appears to be a conversation between Bookwyrm and Sage of Perth (im not having a go at you guys), why isnt anyone participating in these topics? Ive never known Candlekeep be so quiet and so dead

C'mon, lets get this party started! ....with Realms related topics of course!!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  15:18:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been told that a lot of regular visitors are having 'busy periods' at the moment. Taking myself as an example, I have several heavy philosophy exams coming up this month and the next that may take me away from Candlekeep for a few days .

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  20:53:39  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am now on summer vacation, but a certain Druidess (veterinary student) has been gracing me with her presence, so needless to say I have been ...

Preoccupied?

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  10:18:43  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I am now on summer vacation, but a certain Druidess (veterinary student) has been gracing me with her presence, so needless to say I have been ...

Preoccupied?

LOL!
Does she roleplay, so she could share her knowledge with us...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000