Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Glacier of the White Worm
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2007 :  18:32:43  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all.

I posted this question six months ago on the WotC boards, but there has not been much response, so I will try it here, now.

I have some ideas for a bigger adventure to be realized in the future that can be roughly divided in three parts.

A cult of aurilites, consisting of clerics and frost mages (both with and without this PrC) has formed alliances with tribes of frost giants, snow goblins, orcs as well as other evil creatures from the Earthspur Mountains and the glacier and attempts to cast a mighty spell from their icy stronghold that throws the Vast into a deadly and cold winter.
(Hopefully) following the hook of an unnaturally early beginning winter and strange dark clouds over the peaks of the Earthspur Mountains, the heroes find their way through dangerous underdark tunnels to reach the glacier whose perils they have to survive and finally reach the icy, tower-like stronghold of the aurilites where they prevent the wizards from completing the dangerous spell.

For most part, everything is clear and I just have to beginn my preparations but the description of the Glacier of the White Worm in the FRCS (p. 107) bothers me a bit, more precisely the monastery of the Yellow Rose.
This monastery looks pretty far away on the map, but it is described as "overlooking the glacier". Even if I assume that many of these monks are commoners or experts rather than having the actual monk class there still be many of them and also some clerics and paladins and other members of the Ilmaterian faith that would intervene if powers of evil would concentrate themselve right in front of their door.

There is no problem in giving the PCs some help by followers of Ilmater but how could I credibly explain why a power center of the curch of Ilmater would not be able to detect and to solve the problem quickly by themselves?

Thanks

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2007 :  19:30:13  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Year of Rogue Dragon Trilogy (Also mentioned in Dragons of Faerun) there is some notes on troubles facing that monstary that might cause a weakness on their part to the attack you're planning.

This is just off the top of my head, so it could be wrong.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  01:44:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, as far as the Year of Rogue Dragons Trilogy goes (Spoilers):

The Monastery was besieged by dragons for quite some time. Much of the place was destroyed, which means that it will take some time to rebuild it, and on top of that, you can probably safely assume that high level types likely got thinned out a bit during the assault, and the ones that remain are likely going to be staying and training the newcomers and overseeing the rebuilding of the monastery.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  04:11:50  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Knight Errant said, plus: SNOWSTORM!

Good old snowstorm (conjured by Aurilites or otherwise) which allows the moving of a large force, undetected. Of course, the entire "large force" is either immune to cold or under the beneficial effects of an endure element; otherwise plowing ahead in a snowstorm is not such a great idea!

Furthermore, you'll have to have the Aurilites come up with a few feats of ingenuity (i.e. such as large cargo sleighs driven by frost giants atop large wooly mammoths or polar worms; some watered down (no pun intended) version of water walk which *just* works on snow, allowing the "large force" to make great time; etc.)
Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  08:18:15  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's good news! Thanks for your replies.
I initially had no intention to incorporate the monastery in the adventure, assuming it was on the other side of the mountains than the glacier.
Free way for my evil snow-loving aurilites.
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  11:56:30  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would recommend a Dungeon Magazine – unfortunately I don’t remember the issue, but there was a half-dragon on the cover. Well there was an adventure where a party had to enter a glacier to stop the mad dreams of some frost-loving cult; maybe some of the ideas might interest you. If I find the issue I will come back with some more information.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000