Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Conversion Help
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  00:07:45  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Tome of the Morning was printed in Prayers of the Faithful in 2E.

Anyone want try a hand at a conversion? Or have suggestions, do people use the rules for relics in FR?

I don't remember my 2E stuff that well, plus all of it is out of town. Did priests in 2E have to pick their spells when they leveled? It seems the tome provides a priest with a large list of spells they can prepare. This seems kind of useless in 3E... being that clerics just gain all their spells automatically when they level.

As a side note how do people run new divine spells from new sources? Do clerics wake up one day and their god grants them some new spells?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  00:17:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Priests were not and never restricted to spells they knew, there just is the restriction of selecting a few spells they can cast.

When a Cleric leveled to gain a new spell level they knew all the spells, only other thing granted was ability to cast more spells.

As for conversion of Tome of the Morning I would need to consider that before reply, perhaps it has already been converted already.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  00:18:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Priests learn prayers from common sacred texts, from their superiors, and from divine inspiration. This range of magic varies by deity and church, but it's approximated by the core spell lists, sorted by sphere (2E) or supplemented by (3E) domains.

There are also unique or rare formulae of Power known only to particular sects or individuals or contained in holy works such as the books in Prayers from the Faithful.
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  10:40:45  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only restriction I remember was that a priest of a certain faith gains the access to certain spells from his deity - as described for example in Faiths and Avatars. So some spells are not usable for every priests. I like the idea the a deity gives the whole bunch of possibilties and the priest chooses which spell he wants to memorize each morning, to make the difference to a wizzard who studies some spells - even if he can choose from them.

Edited by - Matthus on 13 Jun 2007 10:41:25
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  16:11:46  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I searched around and I could not find a conversion or even many references to the tome.

After talking to a bunch of buddies they confirmed, as you guys did, that 2E priests did get their full spell list for a spell level. So that sort of leaves me confused as to how this relic was even useful in 2E, unless as Faraer said:

quote:
There are also unique or rare formulae of Power known only to particular sects or individuals or contained in holy works such as the books in Prayers from the Faithful.

So would all the spells in the tome not normally be available to a priest of a standard level? Unless they got them out of some prayer book etc? It is a good idea I always wondered how priests got new spells from new source books.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  16:29:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC Priests could reseach spells.

quote:
The minimum amount of time needed to research a spell is two weeks per spell level. At the end of this time, a check is made. For wizards, this is the same as their chance to learn a spell (be sure to account for any specialization). For priests a Wisdom check is made.

It is of course was/is for the DM to permit spells to the PC from optional books or a player's invention.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  17:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur
So would all the spells in the tome not normally be available to a priest of a standard level? Unless they got them out of some prayer book etc?
That's right. Back in 1998 Ed sed:
quote:
The thinking is that priests CAN pray to their gods for anything, and that priest spells are like molds/moulds that gods 'pour' power into (usually, due to the thousands of demands upon them at any given time, without paying much attention). As a priest, you can only ask for what you know how to ask for---hence, we have rare, restricted, forgotten, or unknown priest spells; either prayers devised by an individual and not widely disseminated (a la most wizard spells featured in Pages From The Mages), or spells restricted to certain ranks of clergy (e.g. specialty priests, those sent on special holy missions or responsible for temple security, and so on). If a priest prays for a spell inappropriate to his faith, level, or needs, his deity may well ignore him (or perhaps send instead a 'teaching' vision or a different magic than requested).
quote:
It is a good idea I always wondered how priests got new spells from new source books.
You could handle that in several different ways.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2007 :  10:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The archivist class recently created another option for cleric-like divine casters. I like it a lot, as it makes the better "adventuring for a reason - cleric". If people want their clerics to learn new spells, one may use the rules given for the archivist:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2007 :  03:25:39  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I could not find a conversion done by anyone else I took a week and made one of my own. I tried to keep true to the spirit of the book while making it into a Relic by 3.5E terms. Some data in here is straight from the "Tome of Morning", I tried to find as many 3.5E spells that map to 2E I also introduced some other spells that might fit.

The tome is now 72 pages, each spell taking up the number of pages equal to its spell level.

quote:

Clerics who awakens the "Tome of Morning" may read over the prayers for an hour and add all spells he can cast to his spell list. Certain spells may only be fully read if touched with a holy symbol of Lathander by a faithful.

A cleric who worships Lathander may chose, during his morning prayers, to prepare a spell from the "Tome of Morning" that would be too high a level for him normally. To do this he must sacrifice a number of non-domain spell slots that will equal the spells level and make a caster level check (DC = spell's caster level + 1). A character with a True Believer feat need not sacrifice spell slots but must still make the caster level check. The user must have the requisite ability score for the spell he choses or the process fails and the slots are lost. Zero level spells count as 1/2 for sacrifice.

Additional Powers:
-The moss from the tome's fissures when mixed with holy water creates a Potion of Divination, called Quaff of Vision" by Lathanderites. The moss regrows in 1d4+1 days.

-Spells targeting the book or whose area of effect contact the book are absorbed by the book and those touching it are not affected by the magic.

-Protective magics prevent the book from being soiled or damaged. Any physical blows sent against it are sent back to their sources as force damage and doubled.

-By touching any dragon relic to the tome and speaking the correct words the the user is knows whether the relic is genuine; if its borne an enchantment, has been altered by magic, or bears an enchantment; the age and species of dragon it came from; and in the case of eggs if they are fertile.

-Once every 3 days (at least 2 sunrises must occur between each use), anyone may attempt to enact the greatest ability of the tome: the rite of renewal. No prayer is necessary beyond touching the tome and calling Lathander's name three times. The being to be affected must remain in direct flesh-to-Tome contact for 12 continuous hours after calling the god. The tome simultaneously has the following effects on the being: remove curse, cure blindness, cure disease, purge lycanthropy, madness, and all charms and compulsions (ie geas spells), neutralize poison, heal, restoration, and regeneration of missing limbs, even countering magically induced harm, or disabilities from birth. A full year must pass after a rite of renewal before it can be used again on the same being. Alignment and faith do not matter though often it fails to completely purge all illness and disabilities at the whim of Lathander.

My Versions
Spells: 72 pages

Lvl 1
Faerie Fire (Rosy, Red Toned) (L)
Faith Healing
Healthful Rest
Rosemantle (L)
Vision of Glory

lvl2
Divine Insight
Rosetouch * (L)

lvl3
Antidragon Aura
Boon of Lathander(Haste) (L)
Sunrise (L)

lvl4
Celestial Fortress
Divination
Dragon Blight
Restoration

lvl5
Shield Of Lathander (L)

lvl6
Heal
Heroes’ Feast
Quest (L)
Reverse Time * (L)

lvl7
Age Dragon *
Greater Shield of Lathander (L)

(L) - A spell that only a Lathanderite touching the page with a holy symbol of Lathander can understand.

* - A 2E spell that I feel should be converted to 3.5E

Please post comments and feedback. I will be using this soon most likely so hopefully you guys can catch any major errors before they come up in my campaign. If anyone is unfamiliar with any of the spells and would like them described or their sources I have them all available. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000