Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 2nd Edition Artifact Revision...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2007 :  04:21:54  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello ladies and gentlemen. Just recently I acquired a copy of the Magic Item Compendium and have been looking over the weapon abilities contained therein. It got me to thinking about an artifact that I created back in 2nd Edition, and I thought that an update might be in order what with the new abilities that have been presented in the new books. Here is the artifact longsword as she was in 2nd Edition, and I respectfully ask for your assistance in updating her and making sure that she is balanced out (as much as artifacts can be at any rate), so that if I wanted to slip her into a story I wouldn't have to worry about game mechanics or disruptions from another source. Thanks for your help.

Tahlianna (Lady Blade)
+5
Chaotic Good
human influence
flame tongue (white)
Undead and evil extra planar must save v/s death or be destroyed/banished
Brilliant white light (as continual light spell)
Speaks common, elven, celestial, sylvan, and seldruin
Can, when specific circumstances are met, summon Tahl (Reverend One)
Wieder may draw upon holy might once per day
Scabbard grants Protection from Evil 10' Radius at will

Tahl (Reverend One): AC 2; MV 15; HD 8+3; hp 51; THAC0 8; Number of Attacks 2; Damage 1-10 (or with sword); MR 10%; Size 6'

Has all of the abilities of a Reverend One from Elves of Evermeet.

Personality: The sword holds the essence of the ancient elven goddess Itarilde, who was the goddess of elven destiny before Araushnee came to posses that portfolio. The Reverend One is the only material form that she can take, as a lot of her powers went into the crafting and enchanting of the blade.

The sword was created after Itarilde had a portent vision of the destruction of Tintageer and a dark form that stalked the Seldarine's mortal children. She had to ensure that The People's destiny entrusted into her care would have a future.

When adventurers first encounter the blade, they come into a small clearing in the heart of the forest. Around them lie the bodies of elves, drow, hobgoblins and orcs that all perished fighting one another. Up ahead in the clearing is a lone vallenwood tree. A low mist hangs to the ground and up ahead can be heard the sound of two elven voices softly speaking up ahead: one male and the other female. As they draw nearer, they can see an elven male in elven plate leaning against the tree, and a form in a deep blue sapphire cloak kneeling over him. He turns his eyes to the adventurers and gives them a wry smile. It is obvious that he is close to passing on to Arvandor. The other form turns and stands facing the party. All that can be made out are dark curls and startling blue eyes beneath the hood of her cloak. She slowly turns once more to the wounded elven male against the tree and takes his hand for a moment, gazing into his eyes murmuring something that can not be made out. Then she turns without a word and disappears into the mist.

The wounded elf watches her depart, then motions the party forward. He presses a sword and scabbard into their hands and tells them that they must look after her. His eyes lose focus, and he begins to speak to others that the party can not see. He takes one final breath, and his hand which had been holding onto the sword falls limp to the earth.

The blade when it is first encountered does not match its earlier description. The white diamond is actually a blue diamond, and the handle is not wrapped in soft snow white velvet; but rather a velvet of the deepest blue. The everbright blade is also covered in what appears to be a fine mist that can not be wiped away, and the flame is blue and barely seems to be burning. This is Tahlianna's mourning period for the last wielder. During this period, the sword is only a +1 flaming sword with no other special abilities. At an appropriate time (normally after gaining a level with the sword) when the wielder is in grave peril and the sword is pulled, the blue flame that had barely been burning goes out. The sword's blue diamond seems to drain of its color and becomes a perfect white diamond, and the blade bursts into pure white flames. The flames also burn away the mist that had been upon the blade. The grieving period is over, and her duty once again calls. The protection of The People. At this point, all of the abilities as listed above are now accessible.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 27 Jun 2007 04:26:10

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2007 :  21:51:22  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might I suggest you post how you would convert it or some ideas you have. A lot of it looks fairly straightforward. The plus can stay as is or be reduced. You could make it silvered to help with undead and lawful outsiders. Consider giving it bane against undead and lawful outsiders or even ghost touch and or ghost strike (MC). Flametongue properties can convert easily enough, as can the everbright (MC) and the spell-like abilities. The toughest ones would be human influence, which seems out of place, but could probably convert as a spell-like ability to use enthrall at will or something like that, maybe see the rod of rulership. As for the Reverend Ones, again you can see my version in the Bestiary of the Realms or if you prefer, I believe the Creature Catalogue has its own version.

Now all that said, that makes for a mighty powerful weapon, and you might consider rejiggering it to grant powers more related to "destiny" checking out the "fate" domain of spells as possible spell-like abilities or powers. I guess I would like to see the powers match the story behind the blade more. Why does the blade have against evil outsiders and the undead? Why human influence or flame tongue?

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2007 :  22:13:09  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh*

I was subscribed to this topic, but it never alerted me that a reply was made. I apologize for taking so long to respond. Also, I'll see if I can't round up all of my notes on Tahlianna and type them up here for you to look over. Thank you for your time, sir.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000