Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Theurgist Adepts & ToM Theurgian Society
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11746 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  15:22:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Was doing a little research and thought of something of interest. When most people hear the team Theurge right now, they think of "mult-classed with cleric" in some form or another. However, in ancient Mulhorand, there rose up a society of individuals who felt that the God-Kings should not tell them what types of research they can do. This society was led by "the last Imaskari" named Thayd. Ultimately, Thayd was put to death and a year or two later the orcgate opened (which is too timely to be coincidence).
The ToM introduces a society of Pact Magic users who are interested in discovering the basis of reality, the difference between the mortal and immortal, and all those things that priesthoods say you aren't meant to know. Its called the Theurgian Society. Would it not be interesting if these are who the original Theurgist adepts were?
It would kind of fit things... not that all Imaskari would be pact magic users, but I can definitely see this being developed in their type of culture. After all, many of their magic items seem to have "drawbacks", and the dark aspect of pact magic would seem to go along with this.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  17:21:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its an interesting take on things. I agree that various cultures have multiple forms of magic (while I don't think its their only form of magic, I can see Narfell developing pact magic as well).

I'll have to look over the part of the Tome of Magic that details them, since I'm at work right now, but you make some interesting points.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  21:47:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, got a chance to look over this again now that I'm hope. You are correct, this would fit in really well with a secret society of Mulhorandi that kept to Thayd's ideas of probing the limits of what should and shouldn't be studied.

If you went forward with this, I'd make it one of Thayd's admmiers that plays the role of the founder of the organizaion, and I think that Horus-Re's church could still work as the "scourge" that nearly wiped them out.

The society could have found lots of hidden lore in Imaskari ruins in Raurin, but between the Cultists of Set and the Church of Horus-Re, they expanded their search outward. Its possible that if the Narfell did learn this lore they may have learned this from some of the scattered members of the society. Eventually they could have sought out all forms of fallen beings of power and lore pertaining to them, and how to tap into them.

(As an aside, if you are using Monte Cook's Requium for a God this might be a good organization to throw in some necrotheologist for the organization as well)

It would be interesting to see some fallen Mulhorandi and Untheric gods as vestiges as well (like Ra or Ramman).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11746 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  17:05:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I could see these guys working in a similar medium as the current archivists/mages/mystic theurges serving Thoth. However, both are working towards entirely different ends. The archivists are trying to find divine secrets.... the Theurgian society is invading tombs to discover the secrets that the gods DON'T want you to know. The Thoth worshippers may even unwittingly be working with the Theurgian society people, not even realizing that these individuals are pact magic users (just thinking they maybe are sages in this ancient history).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000