Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 DM in need of help
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Amthymyst
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  14:07:54  Show Profile  Visit Amthymyst's Homepage Send Amthymyst a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail all,

This is my first time posting, but I was looking over the site last night and I have to say it's perhaps one of the best FR sites I've found yet. Been looking forward to finally getting access to the forums, and was thrilled when I got the confirmation email this morning.

Okay, here's my question, I hope someone can help me. I have recently dug up some old second edition modules and converted them into 3.5 for a campaign around the Shadowdale area. My party has a few new players to the game so I wanted to keep it simple for their first long running campaign.
One of the first adventures I ran was the Sword of the Dales. Unfortunately, it only mentions a few of the swords powers, and as second edition is a bit harder to get a hold of these days, I've have no luck in tracking the second quest to find the other powers.
Also, it mentions in the quest that the Githyanki sword Giventhar is found within the tomb...and it was, but it doesn't mention the powers of that sword anywhere.
Can anyone please tell me the powers and abilities of these two swords? My player is very eager to use his new treasure...little does he know that Githyanki will be jumping out of every corner now.

Many thanks,
Amthymyst

Each event is proceeded by prophecy, but without the Hero, there is no eveny.

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  14:17:50  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is not much help I can give you on this one, sorry, but I will mention that the other two adventures of the series can be downloaded cheaply from RPGNow or Paizio.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  15:02:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like the Gith sword is left open for the DM to create. Myself, I'd make it a silver gith sword maybe with an additional power or two.

As for the Sword of the Dales, this is what it says as in the last module of the trilogy.

The Sword of the Dales is a long sword +3 made of silver and inlaid with gems in its pommel. It glows with a soft blue radiance. The Sword unlocks chains and manacles within 30-feet if the wielder speaks the word Merrydale. The Sword grants the wielder the ability to breathe water (as the spell water breathing) once per day. The blade's most prominent ability is to inflict double damage on all magically transformed and magically created creatures. This includes golems and other magical constructs but not summoned or conjured creatures such as elementals.

In addition to the above powers, the weapon reflects all polymorph and lightening-based attacks back at their caster.

XP Value: 7,500. GP Sale Value: 25,000*

*The Sword of the Dales is considered to be a regional item - a weapon of power to save the Dales from the forces of evil. Most collectors are not interested in the weapon because it draws to many visitors seeking a glimpse of it. Gothyl further complicates matters by casting suggestion through the Sword on interested collectors or diviners. Such suggestions always seem to refer the wielder to "more capable and interested parties" some distance away.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Amthymyst
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  22:20:13  Show Profile  Visit Amthymyst's Homepage Send Amthymyst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you greatly. That's kind of strange though, it meantions Giventhar as a legendary weapon that the PCs may have heard about, so I thought it was another famous sword like the Sword of the Dales. But very well, I do enjoy creating magical weaopns, and I will take your advice on the silver sword. I just have to wonder it will take them to figure out that the sword is what's attracting the Gith heh heh.

Each event is proceeded by prophecy, but without the Hero, there is no eveny.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000