Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Name my Shaaran boy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
749 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  09:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Not having access to a FRCS, could someone please name my Shaaran boy, provided it doesn't infringe on WotC copyright on that tome. He's the illegitimate son of a minor (Tashalan) Ormpur noble and a wandering-yet-not-tribal Shaaran gypsy who was generally found in and around Ormpur and thus caught the noble's eye. She fled the area when it became apparent that she was with child and the noble insisted she give it up -- or worse, perhaps abort. He may have passed on his Snake Blood (as the feat) and this may influence the name, but it should still be Shaaran to reflect the mother's ancestry and her defiance of the father.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  10:38:10  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... you could always simply modify some "general" Realmsian names, since intercultural influences are very common in Faerūn. All Tashalan names in FRCS are very "african" in nature.

My suggestions: Jaladru, Mheirasta, Ongluru, Beldrave, Maerfu, Gwarthelve, Halifron

Hope that helps!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  10:54:49  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the name ” Lutalo” it means Warrior and “Lumumba” means Gifted

Lumumba Lutalo : Gifted Warrior

Below you can see some links to African names; on my link list you could also find links to names

Links related to D&D and forgotten realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7997

Other African names
http://www.swagga.com/name.htm
http://www.namesite.com/mainpage.php
http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/afr.php

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11746 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  16:53:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're looking for a name which will entertain your friends... I like Buffoonba, Tallawaca, and of course, the tribal names like two'dogs'f.... um, nevermind. Of course, if you want something that they'll take more seriously, skip these and try Satuelos

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  23:23:09  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erebos, brother of Nyx, the Greek deities of "Darkness" (in the deep earth as opposed to) and "Night" respectively.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
749 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  09:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Hmmm... you could always simply modify some "general" Realmsian names, since intercultural influences are very common in Faerūn. All Tashalan names in FRCS are very "african" in nature.

My suggestions: Jaladru, Mheirasta, Ongluru, Beldrave, Maerfu, Gwarthelve, Halifron

Hope that helps!

Actually no.

I know The Shaar is loosely based on the Serangeti with the Rift Valley, ie. Kenya, but from the picture of the Shaaryan Hunter, I got the impression Shaarans themselves are a little more like some tribes of the Native Americans or otherwise like the Mongols in appearance. However, are they culturally more like Native Americans/Mongols or more like the Masai on horseback? Does this reflect in their names?

Also I think I asked about Shaaran names, not Tashalan names, but that might not have come accross properly. Thanks for the attempted help.

Anyone else with some advice or names?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  03:18:14  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pete

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  05:17:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ndalu.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  05:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ndalu.

Isnt that the name of a Balor!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 20 May 2007 05:26:24
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  12:36:54  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

Hope that helps!

Actually no.

I know The Shaar is loosely based on the Serangeti with the Rift Valley, ie. Kenya, but from the picture of the Shaaryan Hunter, I got the impression Shaarans themselves are a little more like some tribes of the Native Americans or otherwise like the Mongols in appearance. However, are they culturally more like Native Americans/Mongols or more like the Masai on horseback? Does this reflect in their names?

Also I think I asked about Shaaran names, not Tashalan names, but that might not have come accross properly. Thanks for the attempted help.

Anyone else with some advice or names?

My sincere apologies! Somehow the word 'Tashalan' caught my eye in your post, and I completely seemed to ignore the topic, too ?!? (apparently I *am* getting old or have spent too much time in the Cellars of Candlekeep )

It seems that Shaaran names (in the FRCS) are a mix of african, arabic and egyptean influences. You could still use name you want to - whether it is a "generic FR name" or a derivation of it (or even a RW name from any of the cultures mentioned above).
Like I wrote, people in Faerūn travel a lot, and I have personally always thought that based on all the examples Ed has given us in published Realmslore (e.g. very similar names all across the world, from Thay to Zhentil Keep) "naming traditions" and languages among Faerūnian humans seem very similar in nature. The real differences in the contemporary FR, I think, lie between racial traditions (elves, drow, halflings, dwarves, orcs, etc.) rather than cultural traditions.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  12:38:57  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Erebos, brother of Nyx, the Greek deities of "Darkness" (in the deep earth as opposed to) and "Night" respectively.

Hmmm... I personally hesitate to use RW names (especially from mythological sources) without modifying them in some way.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  15:57:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ndalu.

Isnt that the name of a Balor!

Eh... Possibly. The name just came to me out of nowhere, last night.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  00:21:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just think of a good-sounding name and use it. I can understand doing one's best to make a name "fit" (trust me, I've been there), but sometimes overthinking things can be counter-productive.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
749 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  07:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, esp. Asgetrion!

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Just think of a good-sounding name and use it. I can understand doing one's best to make a name "fit" (trust me, I've been there), but sometimes overthinking things can be counter-productive.

Problem is, this character is based on a David Gemmel character -- in essence, if not in background -- and I am hesitant to fall prone to Drizzt-clone mentality myself if I just go and use the name in the book (as much as it does sound African/Egyptian/Arabic). And, no, it's not Drus.

In this case I have to "overthink" it a little.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
749 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  07:49:13  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It seems that Shaaran names (in the FRCS) are a mix of african, arabic and egyptean influences.

A followup informal poll then:
  • Junaid / Junayd (Arabic - young fighter)

• Mujahid (Arabic - warrior for a god)

• Bomani (Egyptean/African - warrior)

• Chenzira (Egyptean/African - born on a journey)

• Kijani (African - warrior)

• Kamau (African - quiet warrior)

I'm partial to two, but I'll let this pot simmer a little...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  11:07:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Kijani.

Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  17:03:28  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[
  • Mujahid (Arabic - warrior for a god)

• Isn't Mujahedin a great NO, NO ?
    It also remined my of Paul Muhadib from Dune - the translation was small desert mouse - a Name with great potential for future leaders

I like Kamau
    Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
    Great Reader

USA
    7106 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  00:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Problem is, this character is based on a David Gemmel character -- in essence, if not in background -- and I am hesitant to fall prone to Drizzt-clone mentality myself if I just go and use the name in the book (as much as it does sound African/Egyptian/Arabic). And, no, it's not Drus.

In this case I have to "overthink" it a little.

Okay, point taken.

I like "Chenzira", myself, as well as "Kijani". Those are all pretty good names though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
    --Richard Greene (letter to Time)
    Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000