Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Elven Crusade
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  21:13:02  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know the nitty gritty details of the troop components of the Elven Crusade in the Final Gate Books? I'm extremely interested by how Rich portrayed each component so I wanted to know more if I could from you all. That is if you all know anything more on the subject. I was thinking the following.

Evereskan Vale Guard-Heavy Infantry?
Moon Knights of Sehanine-Champion battle clerics?
Knights of the Gold Star (did I get that right?)-Champion clerics
Battle Mages of Evermeet-self explanitory really.
Dalesfolk-mostly archers and adventurers.
Sembians?-unknown composition, most likely more conventional human army build.

Let me know if you have more on this.

Illum
The Wandering Mage

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  01:27:14  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, it isn't very common knowledge I presume.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  03:11:37  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in I one of the first 2 books, when they were crossing from evermeet to the mainland, I remember a list like part of the story, that described at least a portion of the troops and their leaders
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  03:19:33  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
to add more to my earlier post check out forsaken house, starting around page156 through 158. It oulines the beginnings of the crusades numbers.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  03:42:19  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember that part but I kinda am more interested in what a moon knight is, what a Evereskan Vale Guard is, etc. Thanks for the info though.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  04:42:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

I remember that part but I kinda am more interested in what a moon knight is, what a Evereskan Vale Guard is, etc. Thanks for the info though.

The Evereska Tomb Guard is detailed in the Player's Guide. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  04:46:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as the companies that were elven, I have yet to sit down and see if I can nail down a source for the names and origins of them. I don't know how many might have been mentioned in passing in other products, and how many Rich detailed for the first time. In fact, that might make for a good question for Rich's question thread.
Go to Top of Page

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  09:55:35  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Concerning the Sembians, they were an army of hired mercenaries and therefore not really one solid army. There were cavalry units and footsoldiers from around Fearun, although i'd have to check with the last 2 books in Last Mythal to find what they were precisely.

You can find a lot about the Dales in the Campaign Setting and perhaps other sources. The Riders of Mistledale for example are quite reknowned in their area, although I think they are kinda decimated in the war.

You forgot the band of warriors coming from Elion itself, so Seveirel's own private army, and perhaps others units
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  17:21:20  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Whaaa? The Vale guards are just Tomb Guardians? That is kinda simply put. I thought there was something more. Kuje, thanks for the info.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  18:18:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Whaaa? The Vale guards are just Tomb Guardians? That is kinda simply put. I thought there was something more. Kuje, thanks for the info.

Er, they might be. :) I was just pointing out that that prestige class was in that book.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  20:32:01  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Er, they might be. :) I was just pointing out that that prestige class was in that book.

I think it's unlikely, Tomb Guards have their own duties (hence the Sacred Duty ability) and are dedicated to surrounding sacred sites. Vale Guards are Evereskan standard military and they are not ''heavy'' - concerning armor

Go to Top of Page

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  22:29:16  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that the Evereskan Infantry mentioned in the Last Mythal are a band of Tomb Guardians. There might be some, but the two are too different in my opinion. Especially since the Evereskan infantry was dubbed the greatest in the entire Elven army and the Tomb Guardians have different objectives than obtaining some level of mastery in warfare leads me to this conclusion.

I did wonder why that infantry was the best in the Crusade.
Was it because they had survived and gained experience in the Phaerimm assault? Are they trained that much better than on Evermeet? Cause I would have expected more quality from forces coming from Evermeet, even infantry
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  22:37:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The response that Rich gave to Wandering Mage in his thread here at the keep:

quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

RE: The Evereskans. I think you're right, they're archers and medium infantry. I think just about every elf in a elf army carries a bow. That said, the Vale Guard are probably the heaviest footsoldiers you'll see in an elf army. They're definitely swordsmen first and archers second. And they are also highly, highly experienced after the gruesome struggle against the phaerimm. I think that well-organized elven armies are probably the best "combined arms" forces in the world, using magic, archery, cavalry, and infantry quite skillfully to cut enemy armies to ribbons. Sort of like the early Byzantines that way, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  00:06:04  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome.....That is what I was looking for. Thanks Knight! Anymore info on the Elven Knight orders? Or are they all in the champions of Valor book?

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  01:14:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Awesome.....That is what I was looking for. Thanks Knight! Anymore info on the Elven Knight orders? Or are they all in the champions of Valor book?

Demihuman Deities has some brief details about particular elven knightly orders dedicated to particular members of the Seldarine.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  11:44:16  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rummaging through the deep depths of this library I re-read this scroll and asked myself the following.

I am about to start a campaign in Evermeet and Elven communities on Fearun. Thanks to Evermeet- Isle of Elves and the Last Mythal trilogy I want to include a portion of these events in my campaign.

What I am looking for is the follwing:
Are the military ranks used in Myth Drannor still used in Elven armies present day? I did not find any reference to this in both sources. They just used the types of troops mentioned in this scroll.

Is there still some form of hierarchy in the elven military?

Thanks in advance
Go to Top of Page

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  12:13:21  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When referring to Myth Drannor I'm talking about titles like: akh'velahrn and such.
Just so you know what I'm talking about
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  00:43:12  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually im getting the feeling that Wotc isnt giving away much information about armies and units nor extended descriptions for battles fought (you know challenges, formations heroes etc.). I bought Heroes of Battle but still there the units presented are few, mostly made as examples, i must admit i had the hope for somekind of massive combat rules in that book (something like a simple wargame) but there was nothing like it

I believe this is made in purpose, for DnD is a character/story oriented game and not a wargame.
Go to Top of Page

Valaxaxath
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  00:58:40  Show Profile  Visit Valaxaxath's Homepage Send Valaxaxath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
until their plans to make the came more mini-centric comes about....

When you're not regular, eat an elf! They're full of fiber.
Go to Top of Page

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  17:28:28  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If nobody knows this, perhaps this is a question for Mrs Cunningham?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36787 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  17:59:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dungeon Moron

If nobody knows this, perhaps this is a question for Mrs Cunningham?

Rich Baker -- the author of the books -- would be a better question to ask. Elaine was not involved in the trilogy, and tends to avoid speculation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000