Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Unclean: Chapters 4 - 7
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  09:11:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Unclean (Book 1 of The Haunted Lands), by Richard Lee Byers. Please discuss chapters 4 - 7 herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2007 :  04:48:15  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goodness, I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow, or I'd read this straight through. So that's how you make a swarm shifter form of undead . . .

Excellent story so far. I know Szass obviously has something going on, but I'm not sure yet that he is behind the atropal in Delhumide and all of the undead raiders in Thay. Its interesting seeing the defenders from the perspective of defending their homeland. While its easy to see Thay as "them" from the point of view of the other characters and regions, seeing them as "us" is an interesting perspective.

Love the blood fiend as well. Can't wait to see where all of this is heading.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  17:54:29  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's really interesting to see events from the villains' POV as well as the heroes. Szass Tam remains mysterious, though, which is a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  09:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay something happened last night…. I got this great idaer about calling my boos and tell him that I were sick and had to stay in bead and drink te and read..

and what happend, I am home drinking te and reading……

I really liked the way Dmitra the Red wizard of illusion (princes of Mulmaster) is described, and the situation with Bareris and the watchman in the slave house.

And the battle and Aoth and Brightwing… Realy Great.. But having a hard time finding out if he is a mage ore a warlock? Maybe I missed something. He casts some kind of hast on Brightwing, and another place they call min a warlock?

I can’t wait to hear more about the Red wizards and our heroes… I fell a little sick and need some more time, Ill call “the boos” tomorrow and say that I need some more days in bead

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 18 Apr 2007 09:47:18
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  11:23:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard uses "warlock" interchangeably with other terms for arcane casters, not as a specific reference to a class. He has been doing this since before there was a warlock class specifically, but if you aren't familiar with the rest of his work, this might throw you off a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  17:37:20  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And may he keep doing it - there's a limit as to how far the rules of the D&D-game should affect the narrative of the FR-novels.

(Particularly considering that the novels span three rules-changes).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  22:14:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I agree. We've had discussions here before about what the "common" folk of the Realms would know about "official" terminology, and I see no reason that (just as older editions used the term sorcerer often, even though it wasn't a class then) various names for arcane spellcasters wouldn't be used interchangably by many in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  13:32:17  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you (I could go on and on about some people who don't read the novels because of "spells that don't function that way" etc.). But back to topic: I love these references to things long past, especially referencing really old novels like "Red Magic". It somehow gives me the feeling that I'm meeting some very old friends again and reading more about them and the loose ends that were left over.

I envy this griffon-rider/mage, having such a familiar would be great to have in any campaign .

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  23:13:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

I envy this griffon-rider/mage, having such a familiar would be great to have in any campaign .

Other than the fact that this particular griffon seems to be a bit of a smart aleck.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  23:36:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The griffon was definately a high point.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  18:32:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

But back to topic: I love these references to things long past, especially referencing really old novels like "Red Magic". It somehow gives me the feeling that I'm meeting some very old friends again and reading more about them and the loose ends that were left over.

That's part of what makes this book (and the entire trilogy) interesting! Not just references to Red Magic, BTW. But to The Simbul's Gift and Red Ambition as well.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000