Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Frostfell - Chapters 5 - 13 (The Journey)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  17:19:12  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Frostfell (Book 4 of The Wizards series), by Mark Sehestedt. Please discuss chapters 5 - 13 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  17:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The plot thickens. I do like the way the story unfolds itself and this really makes me want to start studying Raumathari and Narfell a bit more closely. Did I understand correctly that the warwizards aren't allowed to marry ? Only finished chapter seven but will be back later ....

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  18:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar
Did I understand correctly that the warwizards aren't allowed to marry?

That was not my intent. Amira has never married because of her own personal circumstances, not because it is forbidden by her order. Her personal life and past are a bit of a tangle, not only because she is a War Wizard, but also because she hails from House Hiloar, whose relations with the Crown in Cormyr tends to be a bit prickly. If you're still in Chapter 7, keep reading. You'll find out more about Amira's past in Chapter 8.

In all of the notes that Mr. Greenwood sent me (many of which were compilations of various discussions here at Candlekeep), the issue of whether or not war wizards marry never came up.

Edited by - Mark S. on 06 Dec 2006 18:19:21
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  19:09:10  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice way of introducing the lythari into the story... And I like how Amira's maternal instincts overran her loyalty to her comrades. This makes me wonder if she might do it again with Gyaidun and Lendri and definately makes me want to read on . The implications of the budding of the tree of Raumathari are almost irritatingly mysterious as is the old woman who must be quite powerful to be there alone.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  17:13:42  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the belkagen in this book. The way he manipulates, without coming off as manipulating.
This is where we start to learn a lot about the Vil Adanrath, the wolf-elves (Lythari). Nice job keeping their beliefs and traditions in there, Mark. It gives them their cultural differences to play off of Amira's.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2006 :  17:41:09  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Mark,

This is a great read so far! I just started chapter 8. I agree with Besshalar and Hammer, a budding tree, the Vil Adanrath , very mysterious! Is it possible we will see the rise of another ancient empire in Faerun? First Shade Enclave, then a possible ressurection of Imaskar, now, could it be that Jalan is a heir to the throne of ancient Raumathar? Good tale.

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  00:45:03  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well done, Mr. Sehestedt. I am really enjoying your book thus far. Very curious about the gentleman in the ash-colored cloak. The character of Amira is very believable, warts and all. I can understand where she is coming from, but still don't like her very much. That is a good thing! The lythari characters are taking a little while to figure out, but that is what will keep me reading like I have been - without wanting to put the book down.

I will check in again later. I am home sick from work and your book is just what I needed. Haven't turned on the tv all day, and I don't intend to!

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  20:19:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked this section of the book as it gave many opportunities where the character's backgrounds were covered.

I was quite engrossed in Amira's story of being a war wizard in Cormyr and the incidents at High Horn etc. It was nice to have her included in the history of the attack from Yamun Kahan too. I think it worked well to to include mention of the Frost Folk at High Horn, so that the two different areas had a common recognition of the beings.

This is the first time i've heard mention of Winterkeep in a novel too. I've often been interested in the place and wanted to know more ever since I saw it's isolated location in the FR Atlas book.

The coverage of the "Fist of Winter" and the Frost Folk as Sossrim also had me very intrigued. This book has such a mysterious and strange feel about it and brings a whole new angle into the Realms from that which we're so familiar with.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  20:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I had to note down which I thought was quite a nice little statemet was when it was said that the Tuigan are young and that they "touch leaves of a tree who's roots run deep". Very clever

I liked the short chapter 7 which covered the old woman in the ruins and how she saw the one bit of color on the tree in the colorless scene which turned out to be a new bud on a long-dead tree. Beautiful! Made my spine shiver reading that last bit.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  20:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked the discussions between Amira and Gyaidun and how it keeps surfacing with the differences in their cultures...

It was quite natural for Gyaidun to say how Amira's fellow "died well", which she didn't take too kindly to his comment at all and really kicked off at him. A few more such situations keep cropping up too which further reiterated this divide just when you thought they were getting on so well

Again, Gyaidun's nonchalant brutality comes into play when he hammers the club into the Tuigan's skull without a second thought and how it shows there is "no honor or chivalry in the Wastes". Excellent!

I liked how it described the story about Koro and how his eyelids were cut off and he was staked into the ground in the sun! Eek!

So the Vil Adanrath are finally revealed! Excellent scene. Also the insight into the three vertical and one horizonal scars on the two elves cheeks and their meaning is revealed, which I found quite clever.

I'm intrigued even more to hear about it now since Gyaidun went all quiet and harsh when pressed more about the circumstances of the exile.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  21:20:26  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
Again, Gyaidun's nonchalant brutality comes into play when he hammers the club into the Tuigan's skull without a second thought and how it shows there is "no honor or chivalry in the Wastes".

Well, there is "honor" in the Wastes, and the Vil Adanrath in particular are VERY prickly about their honor, but it is a VERY different take on honor and chivalry than Amira is used to. That's exactly why I wanted a "foreigner" to be the main Point of View of the story.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord RadI liked how it described the story about Koro and how his eyelids were cut off and he was staked into the ground in the sun! Eek!

Thanks. However, I have to confess that I didn't invent that. I stole it. That's something that some Native American tribes of the southwest (particularly the Apache and Comanche) used to do.

The bit about Walloch's hounds having their vocal cords slit is right out of Frederick Douglass.

Was it Churchill who said that originality is stealing and then hiding your sources?

Hey, I'm glad you're enjoying the book so far. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I hope you like the rest!

Edited by - Mark S. on 22 Dec 2006 21:21:09
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  21:01:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good read so far, nice work Mr. Sehestedt. I look forward to the rest of the book with high expectations indeed.

I also found it very interesting that Amira took issue with the lack of Honor in the Wastes.

I see a definate lack of honor in her actions and how she treats her saviors. I have just gotten to Ch. 8, but it is obvious to me she is being very deceptive.

I think she is hiding something very important about Jalan and herself. The mystery man with the cloak like cold ashes is putting forth alot of effort for a forgotten war orphan.

I just wonder if it is because she does not trust the Vil Adanrath... or does she not trust herself???

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  23:19:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I dropped out of the book club for a while. I had every intention of keeping up with this, but between switching jobs and the holidays, my reading schedule got a bit tangled. Just wanted to make sure it was clear that this had nothing to do with the book.

First off, in general, I really like the pacing of the book, and I appreciate any author that can keep a book feeling as if its moving forward while still juggling several mysteries as well. So far for every reveal we have had there seems to spring up a new question, but in a manner that keeps the story flowing forward and not in a frustrating manner.

Another thing that I like is when an author can tie in what is going on successfully with what has come before. Not only has Amira's tie to the Tuigan War been an interesting throwback to the Empires Trilogy, but I also liked the quick reference to Silver Shadows when Amira remembered some brief information she had read about the Wealdath.

The first section got me interested in the overall story, but I wasn't very invested in the characters yet (I didn't expect to be at that point), but so far the Belkagan, Lendri, Gyaidun, and Amira have all become more interesting in their own rights and more fun to follow because I am starting to see the texture in their characters.

Personally, I don't think that all of the pricipal characters trust each other yet because they aren't sure that they are all on the same page yet. Amira has a natural averson to anything native to the Wastes, which she is just starting to get over, and Lendri and Gyaidun have been outcasts for a while, so they aren't exactly used to dealing with new people.

I also think some of the mistrust is based in the emotional, gut feeling that no one will ever have your child's best interest at heart as much as you do. Every parent feels this at some point in time, and sometimes it can get you to lash out at people that have the best of intentions (trust me, the first time a doctor doesn't get what you are trying to explain when it comes to your child's health, this instict kicks right in, for example).

Definately looking forward to the next section, especially with the Belkagan's mysterious comments about the things he didn't think he would have to face again.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  01:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very much enjoying the book so far. I don't have too much to say other than that, but I also like the pacing of the book as well as the odd bits of culture clash.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  18:36:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The characters' discussion on "honor" didn't sound that good to me...I prefer "honor" to be in shades of grey, as it should be.

And now I'm reminded of the Tsuranni's concept of honor. I'm pretty sure it's very alien to most Realmsians as it is to Midkemians.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 24 Apr 2011 01:42:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000