Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Lies of Light: Chapters 56 - 68
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  17:53:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Lies of Light, book 2 of The Watercourse Trilogy, by Philip Athans. Please discuss chapters 56-68 herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2006 :  04:46:34  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say that I apsoltely love this book and the first one. The story should suck cause it gets nowhere fast and pumped with a bunch of politics and inunderstandable romance, but Phillp just tells it so well that he's turned it in a wonderful work of art. I mean think about it. How intresting can a story about building ships and a canal be. but then........(*^*^*^*^*Phillp Bard Magic*^*^*^*^*^) WOW, a story about building Ships and a Canal. I do have to admit though, I liked seeing that weasel Williem detereate through out the story and finally becomes undead himself. You did a supperb job so far on this Trilogy and I can't wait till the last book comes out.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2006 :  02:00:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really didn't see the Phyrea/Pristoleph angle, and its interesting to see her get some releif from her curse because she is relaxed in Pristoleph's presanse since he knows her secret. Willem is really pathetic . . . really.

I agree with you darkcrow, the premise of this series didn't really grab me at first, but I have to say, I am definately interested to see the conclusion of this one now. The groups involved, the personalities, and the events, it really has gripped me now.

I am kind of wondering about the sword though. I thought just killing Willem with the sword would make him undead, but yet Rymut casts a spell on him to bring him back. I wonder if this was to control him, or to enhance him, instead of just letting him turn into a ghoul or a ghast. I guess we may find out more about this later on.
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  07:47:23  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was curious about why Rymut brought him back also since I thought the sword would do it as well.

I would also like to see how the trilogy turns out and see what happens with the canal
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  13:10:39  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DarkCrow and KEJr, you both summed up my feelings on this book very well. I tried to post something about this book several weeks ago and could not think of anything except that I have really enjoyed the story. It is nothing like the stories that I normally love. I have to wonder what effect the canal is going to have on Faerun? One more question; Who is your favorite character? I really have none, as I do not like any of the characters, but the book still intrigues me...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  14:01:55  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, there are some tricky bits concering the timeline: The current year at the end of the second book is 1368(?). Wouldn't we have read about the Canal in some other trilogy that takes place around 1374? Or will the timeline move on in the third book to what we assume is "today" in Realmsian history (i.e. 1374)? If the Watercourse-Trilogy ends before 1374, there's only one reasonable conclusion...

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 27 Oct 2006 14:03:44
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  22:01:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to be the one to point this out, but I think we already got a glimpse of the future at the begining of the first book, which starts out in the present and then moves back to the begining of the character's lives . . .
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  20:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack
One more question; Who is your favorite character?

Marek Rymut. I've mentioned why elsewhere, but suffice it to say he's actually interesting and behaves like a real person. Moreover, it seems to me that he has some homoerotic feelings for Willem.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  21:28:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree about Rymut. A lot of the other characters have so much uncertainty about them, wondering if they should follow their passions or not, being fixated on something and then getting distracted.

Even when Rymut has something else on his mind (ahem, like Willem), he has a perspective about him that keeps him focused and lets you realize that he knows who he is, how far he will go to get things, and what he wants to accomplish.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  21:58:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. He's as sure of himself as Ivar supposedly is, and unlike Ivar, Marek actually engages the reader.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  23:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished this book and now I'm wondering...

Is Wenefir Pristoleph's gay lover?

Any ideas, KEJR?

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  00:21:30  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you could make a convincing point of it, especially considering he is willing to do things for Rymut even when he doesn't agree with what he is doing. I have to admit, for everything else that I saw in here, I was too dense to pick up on that, but now that you mention it RF, that makes perfect sense.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  03:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I think you could make a convincing point of it, especially considering he is willing to do things for Rymut even when he doesn't agree with what he is doing. I have to admit, for everything else that I saw in here, I was too dense to pick up on that, but now that you mention it RF, that makes perfect sense.

Yeah, it's never stated explicitly that Wenefir and Pristoleph are lovers, but not only does the text make them out to be very close, but near the end of the book Marek is deliberately trying to foster jealousy in Wenefir for Pristoleph's attention. Now, I've heard of straight guys being upset about a girl taking away their friend's attention, but in this case feelings seem to run deeper than mere friendship.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  18:41:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack
One more question; Who is your favorite character?

Marek Rymut. I've mentioned why elsewhere, but suffice it to say he's actually interesting and behaves like a real person. Moreover, it seems to me that he has some homoerotic feelings for Willem.

Agreed. And that's very much likely. Trust someone who's gay and read tons of GLBTQ novels.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000