Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Frostfell - Chapters 21 - 26 (To Winterkeep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  17:18:08  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Frostfell (Book 4 of The Wizards series), by Mark Sehestedt. Please discuss chapters 21 - 26 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  15:28:50  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A nice actionpacked sequence. Gyaidun's son turning up like that was quite dramatic and surprising although I was expecting to see Erun at some point. I have to give a big hand to you on the economical use of fight/battle sequences which nowadays sometimes gets a bit out of hand. And I loved the Baba Yaga moment with the old hag ... Is she an actual hag by the way or "just" a magically gifted , cannibalistic old crone ?

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Forgotten Realms Author

60 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  16:17:49  Show Profile  Visit Mark S.'s Homepage Send Mark S. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar
I loved the Baba Yaga moment with the old hag ... Is she an actual hag by the way or "just" a magically gifted , cannibalistic old crone ?

Tselelka was a bheur hag, right out of Unapproachable East, pp. 62-65. In fact, that picture on page 64 is exactly how I tried to describe her.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  17:37:33  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the history we don't get between her and the belkagen. Now that would be an interesting story(as well as the relationship he had with the Hro'nyewachu?).
I agree, good fight scenes, and I didn't get confused! Too many fight scenes have too much happening where bits and pieces are thrown at you that don't make sense. Sometimes this is necessary if we are witnessing the battle through a character's eyes. Then, of course, the battle is, and should be, chaotic. Other times it seems the author just wants to fit as much cool fight stuff in there as possible. You found a nice balance.
Time to confront the evil demon thingees.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  19:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved how the intense cold from the sorcerer was described, with Gyaidun's fluid in his ears beginning to freeze! Later it also describes how the blood in his neck was starting to freeze too and his skin cracking from the cold.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  19:50:42  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great when Erun was revealed! I wasn't expecting that at all. Nice touch!

I loved the brutal part when one of the Frost Folk falls and is eaten by the wolves without any regard from his fellow Frost Folk.

Gyaidun's despair in this section is well done too. I could just imagine how he would have felt.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  03:32:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, I agree with some of my fellow scribes about the hag and the belkagan. It added a nice bit of context and pre existing history to have him know the hag and to know that the story behind their aquaintance isn't fully fleshed out here.

Everything is moveing along very well, and we still have enough left up in the air that the finale is definately compelling. I wonder if Jalan has some kind of connection to the Fist of Winter now, and by that, I mean, did they do anything to him to set the whole ritual in motion, or does Amira just have to deal with them to keep them from tracking them down again?

My favorite part of this whole section though, was the belkagan talking to Amira about loosing hope. I loved his comments to her that we can't take for granted that we know how thigns will turn out, and that it is actually harder for those that have some knowledge of what might happen to keep hope than those that have none.

And of course I am very interested to find out if Gyaidun survives his trip to see the oracle, sans gift.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  00:39:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit--I thought the two hag scenes felt very out of place in this novel. She just didn't seem like she had much to do with anything. I realized that sometimes things are put into a book to benefit the atmosphere (and themes) rather than because those things are "important" to the story, but it seems to me that everything else in the book (the Vil Adanrath, the two blood brothers, the Fist of Winter, Amira's plight) were all very tightly intertwined and focused. Therefore, the hag scenes kind of stuck out like a sore thumb, even though I thought they were interesting in their own right.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  18:26:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I have to admit--I thought the two hag scenes felt very out of place in this novel. She just didn't seem like she had much to do with anything.

Indeed. She had a potential to be interesting, though---given enough "screen time." She sort of reminded me of Lallara Mediocros, the Zulkir of Abjuration.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000