Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What the heck is Role Playing vs Successful Gaming
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matan Thunder
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  20:37:43  Show Profile  Visit Matan Thunder's Homepage Send Matan Thunder a Private Message  Delete Topic

First..................this is not an attempt to fan flames, or do I want it to digress into needless rhetoric.

I also want to tie the question into the realms. If anyone has a special "Role Playing" tip for a race/class/alignment...etc. issue please feel free to post it!

What I want to know is.......

1) What EXACTLY is "Role Playing" to YOU???!!!

For me I have always felt is a combination of playing: race, alignment, class, abilities....etc....

What I have found among the 1st Edition folk, is that they chant "Role Playing" like it is their mantra....without ever supplying any USEFUL information as to why it is better than trying to win/succeed/enjoy the leveling up aspects of the game.

I DO WANT DETAILS IF YOU CAN CAST ANY LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE!!
My personal point of view is that while "Role Playing" is a fine facet of RPG gaming, I feel that acting like a Dwarf Fighter Cleric can be fun, but the final word in any game no matter what it is SUCCESS in whatever endeavor you are trying to achieve.

Few people are ever (in fantasy or the real world) satified with going to a certain level of achievement and going, 'Well thats enough for me".

The overachievement gene is much more prevelent, and by extension winning a game by achieving higher skill (or gaming) levels is a NATURAL EXTENSION of gaming.

I seem to draw a certain brand of criticism about game levels/styles, but I have a really hard time seeing their point of view.

Please help me understand the "Role Playing vs Achievement/Success" in gaming issue.

Thanks

Turn them all into rainbow colored mushrooms and drop them from 300' to the tune from the "Anvil Chorus".

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  21:36:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Please stop shouting (use of large fonts and/or Captilizations).

Role Play is simple being an actor/ess when a player takes on the persona of a fictional character.

Successful Gaming is having fun in the game.

In simple terms that is all there is to it.

However it clearly gets more complicated as some DMs go to the point of saying your Elf character did not react the way an elf should and so on. For some players it clearly is important that their stats improve, by gaining magic items, levels and so on. Moderation in expectations should be the catch word. Have fun with the game, if level is more important to a player then story telling and acting find DMs that are more inclined to quick level advancement. If the story and interaction with the NPCs matter more find a DM that has a good story ability, many NPCs that provide interesting interactions.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  21:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message
What Is Role-Playing fore me?
Role-playing is getting together with some friends and have some fun and eat/drink. I think that if these criteria a not for filed, there are no idea in trying to role-play at all.

Then there is the part creating the character and playing the character.
- Race
- Alignment
- Class
- Personality
- Goals in ”life”

- Playing the Profile (Personality)
- Voice of the character (Dialect)

-Imagination
When playing a character you have to try to give the people a opportunity to be able to imagine how ore what you character is doing.

-Teamwork
Playing with other’s and be able to work together to achieve what you want in “Life”

I think that in role-playing games, the concepts of “winning” and “losing” do not exist.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 25 Mar 2007 21:54:30
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  23:00:03  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Try defining what you mean by 'success'.

'Levelling up', getting a 'more powerful' character, is hollow. There's no human pleasure in increasing imaginary numbers, though it may be a marker of satisfaction at good strategic play, and there's fulfilment for some in being able to throw your weight around in a campaign. But when you've got to high level and the other players are bored because it's just more of the same, what then? Why play again, just to climb the level treadmill once more?

For most, what's worthwhile about RPGs is the shared experiences and memories between players and characters in the campaign. These can involve tactical conflict or in-character drama; in some groups the fictional content of the game is mainly a catalyst for social camaraderie, while others gain pleasure in deep immersion in characters and worlds. This is where the Realms comes in, because if you're barely roleplaying there's little need for a detailed setting. Why would you care about what's just 'fluff' on top of a game you're trying to win?

Craving endlessly increasing power is not normal: it's megalomania.

Edited by - Faraer on 25 Mar 2007 23:01:18
Go to Top of Page

Matan Thunder
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  00:47:35  Show Profile  Visit Matan Thunder's Homepage Send Matan Thunder a Private Message

quote:
Please stop shouting (use of large fonts and/or Captilizations).

With due respect I do know about blogging protocol. If I disregard it in order to highlight a point in a meaningful way, don't construe this with "Shouting".

This is typing and not talking. So blogging protocol be darned in lieu of highlighting a point I wish to make.....Sorry!

quote:
Try defining what you mean by 'success'.

Success is leveling up in the process of fairly DM'd and PC'd gaming. Not Monty Hauling it up, and no heavy handed DM play. Fair gaming with leveling up as part of that process.

Role Playing throughout is a great way to enhance the experience, but I find that it is a far from the most fulfilling issue when compared to leveling up a PC significantly.

I realize it is just my style of play.

I am trying to understand the "Role Playing" statement more fully, in order to wrap my mind around it in realationship to what some gamers want to call the game. Retiring a PC at any level less than 25 or so seems pretty (for lack of a better word) weak, if the player/PC want to continue.

I don't want this to offend, and I do realize all levels of play are out there.

I see leveling up as part of the game, and in this area alone, it does sort of share things with.......video games.

It is part of a process of advancement and success. If you as a PC seek out the possibilities of a leveling up process (seeking out experience rich regions of many monsters/creatures or high exp creatures) then the natural extension is part Role Playing and Part PC level advancement....like several people have mentioned.

The acquisition of the power/campaign affecting actions are not the primary reason to advance in level. For me it is the new skill sets to role play off of. I like to have the PC evolve, with both and eye to the PC role playing issues, and the ability to gain levels above the 18th.

This is where I sometimes experience a certain level of bigotry towards my gaming style.

But the knowledge I wanted to gain with this post is to have others post about role playing...how they percieve the experience, and how my views might differ.

NO one is right or wrong, but I do like insight to what others are seeing about this subject.....

Blog on please by all means...

Later

Turn them all into rainbow colored mushrooms and drop them from 300' to the tune from the "Anvil Chorus".

Edited by - Matan Thunder on 26 Mar 2007 00:51:10
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  01:02:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
This is not a weblog. As far as the shouting reference, that goes back at least 15 years in Usenet and message boards, excepting the more recent (perhaps 8 years ago) ability to post font size.

As for game success being gaining levels or forced to retire at level 25 (*blinks* as many DMs and players avoid Epic levels) this becomes a factor of the game the DM runs. It does become harder at higher levels for a DM to provide balanced contests, more work for the DM and also greater risk for the PC (A failure of a saving throw can mean istant death afterall) which can effect the players' experience of the game as well.

Leveling in up clearly is part of the game, PCs kill things they get closer to another level is core design. Yes there are a few experience points awarded for taking out traps and hazzards as well. Role Play is how one learns and gains power including friends and foes. Level up (more the pity) is about what is killed, unless vrient rules are used.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  01:27:11  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
For what its worth, its hard to quantify, but there does have to be a certain feeling of "earning" levels, and there has to be a feeling of "reward" for the effort, as well as some new things for the characters to do, or else a campaign tends to get stale. Quantifying anything more than that tends to be a bit more difficult.
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  02:09:06  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message
Roleplaying refers to a kind of 'method acting' where you place yourself in the character's shoes and try to imagine what the character experiences, and then how the character reacts to the surrounding world and behaves. It suggests an emphasis on character and personality development, essentially in the same way that a literary character gains multiple dimensions and becomes increasingly multifaceted through the telling of the tale.

You can differentiate that from a style of play (so-called 'powergaming') where any such considerations are dispensed with when an opportunity to become more powerful or gain coveted items presents itself.
Go to Top of Page

Matan Thunder
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  05:14:25  Show Profile  Visit Matan Thunder's Homepage Send Matan Thunder a Private Message

I really appreciate everyones input.....this issue has vexed me for the 3 or so years I have been posting.

Anyone else please supply your opinions also for me to get a fuller cross section of gamers even if you are agreeing with what someone else has already posted.

I would like to pick out one which is what I believe Role Playing to be......

quote:

- Race
- Alignment
- Class
- Personality
- Goals in ”life”

-Imagination
When playing a character you have to try to give the people a opportunity to be able to imagine how ore what you character is doing.

-Teamwork
Playing with other’s and be able to work together to achieve what you want in “Life”

I agree here with some minor deviations, as I am not as voice oriented as some might be.

I would also like to totally agree with your in the Imagination prospects of the game, which is sometimes how I run afoul of some gamers styles.

How do you show a high IQ/INT in the game, if you don't do it by trying to achieve more power in magic as a mage class (spell casting ability & more powerful spells). It is one in the same with advancing in any other class too.

On the working with the group, I would add that the idea is less co operations with your fellow gamers and more along the lines of Role Playing how your PC works and interacts with the other members of the party.

I felt this post was really pretty good...without levels of power even mentioned.

quote:
As for game success being gaining levels or forced to retire at level 25 (*blinks* as many DMs and players avoid Epic levels) this becomes a factor of the game the DM runs.

I've been at this a while (1976 University of Alaska Fairbanks Campus), and I do have a few old friends, among them the Pof & Thunder Families. The groups are almost exclusively higher than 12th level now.

The Pof family are 1/2 races of elves and some hobbits so higher level PC's didn't come up too much until after 1985ish, when I changed a few rules to house rules (since I was using them as NPC's at the time". The Thunders are an extended family of many races, so I have run afoul of a number of DM's over time that simply won't let some of the boys "Come out and plaaaaayyyyyyy!".

The idea is that good/fair DM'd games aren't precluded from high level gaming, and good role playing can be found in any level of play regardless of style of play.

quote:
You can differentiate that from a style of play (so-called 'powergaming') where any such considerations are dispensed with when an opportunity to become more powerful or gain coveted items presents itself.

It isn't that powergaming is exclusive of the lack of role playing for the sake of PC advancement though. It happens in some badly DM'd (Monty Hauled) games of high and low level abound as new DM's find their path in the game.

Power gaming isn't really a factor for the role playing issue though, other than the problems caused by those with higher level simply "Power Gamers" can escelate out of control much faster and more painful results to the DM. Low level games are plagued by the same type of problems too.

Role playing with a higher level of skill sets is just as rewarding as a lower level of play.

Keep it coming, I am interested in other gamers on this one.

Later

Edited by - Matan Thunder on 26 Mar 2007 05:30:27
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  10:01:53  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Matan Thunder

I really appreciate everyones input.....this issue has vexed me for the 3 or so years I have been posting.

Anyone else please supply your opinions also for me to get a fuller cross section of gamers even if you are agreeing with what someone else has already posted.

I would like to pick out one which is what I believe Role Playing to be......

[quote]
- Race
- Alignment
- Class
- Personality
- Goals in ”life”

-Imagination

-Teamwork

I agree here with some minor deviations, as I am not as voice oriented as some might be.

I would also like to totally agree with your in the Imagination prospects of the game, which is sometimes how I run afoul of some gamers styles.

How do you show a high IQ/INT in the game, if you don't do it by trying to achieve more power in magic as a mage class (spell casting ability & more powerful spells). It is one in the same with advancing in any other class too.

On the working with the group, I would add that the idea is less co operations with your fellow gamers and more along the lines of Role Playing how your PC works and interacts with the other members of the party.

I felt this post was really pretty good...without levels of power even mentioned.

------------------------------------------------------------------

As a dungeon master I help characters with high Wis and Int, and there are many ways to do this.
Characters with high Int can sometimes outsmart evil villains and see through their disguise ore plan to cheat the characters.

A Wis character have insight in life of other people and have an easier way of understanding other people.

Characters with High scores in either Int and Wis have a more insight in what is going one in the game while a fighter with low Int and Wis would ask for help when trying to understand what is happening.

An intelligent person /An wise person
An intelligent person may be proud of his intelligence, but a wise man is wise enough to be humble. This essay attempts to answer four questions in regard to intelligence and wisdom. First, what are the differences between intelligence and wisdom? Second, why is intelligence alone inadequate to a good life?

Third, why is wisdom important in all things? Finally, how can one attain wisdom?
What are the differences between intelligence and wisdom?

Intelligence is about skill, technique and knows how, whereas wisdom is devoted to philosophy, ethics and spiritual cultivation.

Wisdom could mean taking a moment to discover God, to discover the sacred in the little world that only we individually know best.

Wisdom could mean paying attention to the little things in life, the seemingly insignificant that often end up meaning a lot if we reflect on them.

Wisdom could mean trying to sift out the chaff from the wheat, the important from the less important things, the passing from the lasting.

Wisdom could mean trying to discover beauty and loveliness wherever it appears.

Playing monsters ore Npc with high Int and Wis is usually very hard. (24+)

Brilliant and genus monsters and character rarely make mistakes, and when my players meet these
they are sometimes outsmarted, ore fooled into believing lies. Sometimes I give them a sign; that something with Enormous power are toying around with them as they were bricks in a chess game.

Wizard and priest, Dragons and other creatures with high Int and Wis are prepared when fighting the Npc, and some have used divination to find out about there vulnerabilities, and are willingly to flee a battle if its going to be dangerous.

One last thing.. Sometimes I keep a spell slot open so the Wizard /Cleric ore monster always could have the right spell ready..

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 26 Mar 2007 10:04:00
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  13:06:08  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Sometimes "defeat" (not nessicarily character death) is the truely memorable event in a campaign. I remember several of those during my player chareer. So while role playing is fun and success is part of it as well, you should not reject the potential that slumbers in a defeat...

Just a few thoughts from my side....

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  13:50:28  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
In my humble opinion:

"Success" in Role Playing means "to enjoy oneself, or to have fun."

Leveling up is not success. Leveling up is the mechanical by-product of gaining experience points in a manner sanctioned by the presiding DM.

I can think of campaigns in which I have played where leveling up was rampant, but I hardly think of as successful.

Using terms like "success" in reference to role-playing (and therefore implying "defeat, or un-success") to me is like describing role-playing in terms of winning and losing. How do you Win at D&D? How do you beat the game?

In my opinion, you don't. You can't. Its not something that you're supposed to win or beat. People that try have missed the point. This is why DCI will ALWAYS be more successful than RPGA. In magic you win by making the other guy lose, the conditions for which are clearly outlined in the rules of the game. You only win in the RPGA if you've enjoyed yourself and satisfied a highly individualized and unofficial set of criterion. Achieving this kind of victory will never earn you a trophy or a scholarship award.

I would reference the introduction to the original 2E PHB as justification for this point of view.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  16:48:52  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message
For myself, roleplaying is the most important aspect of the game. What I mean by this is that I want to play a character that has a past, a present and hopefully a future. I always try to include goals for my characters, be it making some cash (in which case I'll generally frustrate the DM by investing some of my funds, trying to open businesses, ect)

I feel that a lot of the roleplaying aspect is expressed in the open ended form of D&D (vs the closed form of video games). The goal may be to stop a dragon from raiding the country side, this can be accomplished many different ways and incorporating many different tactics (from hunting the dragon, trying to convince the dragon to stop through bribes, threats or whatever, trying to find allies to help take out the dragon, deciding you don't want nothin to do with this country side and moving on, ect ect ect)

Another difference that I see is that there are two different types of DMing, the "static world" DM, where things only change when the PCs change them and the "dynamic world" where the PCs are just one group of many who are changing the world.

I far prefer the latter :) (even though I'm usually the DM and it's a PitA to develope a dynamic world *g*)
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  12:12:57  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message
I agree with that notion of the party having a 'realistic' place in the fantasy setting regarding their capacity to change the world. In real life only a handful of individuals in any generation have a memorable impact on the world around them. For many aspects of the setting it's most plausible that people react to events beyond their control, and they then decide how to respond. The players' sense of their ability to effect change should be tempered by an understanding that the world is a gigantic place with lots of ponderous forces at work that are much bigger than them.

One man's view, of course. Players can also have fun saving the world (eg, like in LotR).
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  14:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

This is not a weblog. As far as the shouting reference, that goes back at least 15 years in Usenet and message boards, excepting the more recent (perhaps 8 years ago) ability to post font size.

Matan,

Kentinal is correct on both accounts. This is a forum, not anyone's private weblog. Please heed the posting rules here at Candlekeep - it might be all right to use flashy colors and capital letters on some other forums, but here it is regarded as a bit impolite and immature. I understand that you did not do this out of mischief - you just wanted to draw attention to your thread and highlight your point.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Matan Thunder
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  20:30:56  Show Profile  Visit Matan Thunder's Homepage Send Matan Thunder a Private Message

With all due restpect.

quote:
This is a forum, not anyone's private weblog.

&

quote:
I understand that you did not do this out of mischief - you just wanted to draw attention to your thread and highlight your point.

No it isn't a weblog, and no it wasn't out of mischief.

But I won't be detered in being able to highlight the necessary headings and sometimes a point or two that I wish to make. I am simply posting to game information, and am not trying to create some type of product for public consumption.

I post to an idea and put it forth with details highlighted. If some people don't like it, (with complete and utter respect) then don't post on my threads if it bothers someone. It is part of my posting style, and it hurts no one, & violates NO ethical standard. It is blogging.

Finally.......

quote:
but here it is regarded as a bit impolite and immature.

Impolite.....exactly how.....how do you feel about the thread subject anyway??? You want to critique my posting style, but you didn't take the time to post to the subject of the thread.

Immature.....lets see........I'm 47 started playing in 1976, and am the father of 5 children non of which ended up in jail, I & they have jobs, and by extension I appear to have done a good job with that, sort of mature there.

It seems that I have matured well and conveyed a sense of morality and community expectations onto my children (3 are even RPG'ers....not really immature as a parent/person it seems. Just a posting rebel!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I may like my RPG games, I do NGAF what others think about my posting style, but I think "immature" may not be on the mark here.

I really don't care what others think (I'm old enough to assume that role, and make it stick), and if my posting style gets me kicked off then maybe I don't need to contribute here.

I would hope that there is room for flexibility and free speech and by extension free posting. Maybe I'm wrong about these freedoms here?

Later

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  20:53:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Then maybe you don't need to contribute if you can't follow the rules. This isn't your board, it's Alaundo's and you agreed to follow the rules when you signed up.

Using caps and other colors is annoying and it also effects some posters who don't care to see the color change halfway through a thread. And as was said, caps is considered yelling and it has been this way for over a decade now. If you have no respect for others, then maybe it's best you move on. This isn't your private blog, it's a public board that you agreed to follow the rules on.

Nor do we need the captial letters for your swearing. I know that that is against Alaundo's Code of Conduct.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 31 Mar 2007 20:56:41
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  00:12:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Agreed with Kuje and the others on the caps and colors. Sorry Matan, but all those colors make your posts harder to read, and they feel more like advertising than the normal, conversational tone a post on this board should have. If you want to highlight a point, using bold or italics would probably be more effective.

As for the subject, "Roleplaying vs. Successful Gaming". Why does it have to be either or? I don't think any game is successful if the player isn't having any fun, and personally I have more fun when I'm playing the role of a character in a story. I'm not a fan of making souless "builds" designed to maximize power. As I've said before, I create characters, not "builds".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  00:17:37  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message
We can leave off any discussions of posting conventions at this point. Let's focus on the original topic at hand in future. Thanks to everyone for contributing, and lets move on to the topic now. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to PM myself, another moderator, or Alaundo, but please utilize PM to do so.

Thanks all.

Edited by - Arkhaedun on 01 Apr 2007 00:26:30
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  00:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arkhaedun

We can leave off any discussions of posting conventions at this point. Let's focus on the original topic at hand in future. Thanks to everyone for contributing, and lets move on to the topic now. Thanks all.

I did address the topic.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  00:37:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Matan Thunder

I may like my RPG games, I do NGAF what others think about my posting style, but I think "immature" may not be on the mark here.
That is hardly an appropriate attitude to assume on a public message board, Matan. You agreed to become part of an online community when you signed up to these forums. As such, you have a responsibility to maintain a degree of sensibility and respect toward the rest of the scribes of Candlekeep. Candlekeep has a rich history of communal respect and, at the same time, we all have an appreciation for diverse opinions on a variety of topics. However, we respect each other enough to understand that same opinions are better left stated elsewhere or discussed in ways that work to negate potential conflict between scribes.

quote:
I really don't care what others think (I'm old enough to assume that role, and make it stick), and if my posting style gets me kicked off then maybe I don't need to contribute here.
Fair enough if you wish to adopt such a limited philosophy in real life, but while online here at Candlekeep you must respect the rules as laid down in the 'Candlekeep Code of Conduct'. By spouting this particular "NGAF" attitude, you've now demonstrated your own inability to properly adhere to the rules of posting here at Candlekeep. As such, I must report you to our Head Admin -- Alaundo.

quote:
I would hope that there is room for flexibility and free speech and by extension free posting. Maybe I'm wrong about these freedoms here?
As I said earlier, you are of course free to have opinions on a variety of subjects regarding the Realmslore. However, at the same time, your opinions, when expressed online, should be tempered with an appreciation toward what others may or may not think regarding your own views on the Realmslore. We've seen the occasional discussion here turn particularly nasty when certain select scribes have demonstrated an intention to 'disrupt' a civil and interesting discussion. They achieve this by posting comments that seem either ill-conceived or are intentionally critical for no other reason than to cause arguments. Ultimately, they tell us that these particular scribes have little care for the thoughts and opinions of others -- much as you are illustrating through your post here.

Now, until Alaundo has properly addressed this issue, I'm sealing this present scroll to prevent further potential conflict between scribes. If and when the mods have made a decision, it will be re-opened. Matan, if you wish to address this matter with me, please respond via the PM system available here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Apr 2007 00:41:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000