Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fey Warlocks
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  13:09:24  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Sages,

The most recent article by Eytan Bernstein (Class Chronicles)is dealing with Warlocks, a class that i like, but have never had a chance to play. Needless to say i think it is a great article with some good tidbits of lore. As I do not like to play evil characters I would want to play a good-aligned warlock. Mr. Bernstein mentions warlocks allied with the Unseelie. What do you think a chaotic good warlock allied with the Seelie Court would look like? Where would be a good starting region, the High Forest? Obviously, a half-elf could be from the Yuirwood, which could make an interesting background, considering the mention of the Sildeyuir Warlocks... Let me hear your ideas...

ShadowJack

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  13:35:18  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

Sages,

The most recent article by Eytan Bernstein (Class Chronicles)is dealing with Warlocks, a class that i like, but have never had a chance to play. Needless to say i think it is a great article with some good tidbits of lore. As I do not like to play evil characters I would want to play a good-aligned warlock. Mr. Bernstein mentions warlocks allied with the Unseelie. What do you think a chaotic good warlock allied with the Seelie Court would look like? Where would be a good starting region, the High Forest? Obviously, a half-elf could be from the Yuirwood, which could make an interesting background, considering the mention of the Sildeyuir Warlocks... Let me hear your ideas...

The second half will deal with elven, fey, fey'ri, and planetouched warlocks. I think there should be a good amount of ideas and lore there.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  13:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first read about the Warlock class I considered changing it to the Tielfings favoured class but then I released that with the racial penalty to Cha Tieflings take it makes the class a bad choice for them, ironicly enough Aasimars are more suited to Warlock class and the "Font of Dark magic" then Tieflings

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  14:29:14  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

When I first read about the Warlock class I considered changing it to the Tielfings favoured class but then I released that with the racial penalty to Cha Tieflings take it makes the class a bad choice for them, ironicly enough Aasimars are more suited to Warlock class and the "Font of Dark magic" then Tieflings

You could also the DM to introduce the ability to replace a -2 penalty to Cha with a -2 penalty to Con or Wis (Int is also possible, but doesn't seem to fit).

To do this try bribes.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  15:30:21  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why exactly do the tieflings have a penalty to charisma? From a gaming perspective it seems they should be almost 'equal' to Aasimar, their mirrored twin .

I've got to come up with a new character concept and the idea of a Fey or Planetouched Warlock interested me too, can't wait for the articles (by the way could someone provide me with a link for the current ones please?)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  15:54:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the link to the current article:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070314

My son was playing a lythari sorcerer who died, and has come back as a hellbred warlock. Even without the tie to the infernal, I can picture lythari, with their ties to the fey, having some warlocks (and after reading Frostfell and seeing how lythari "shamen" seem to be arcane/divine multi classers, I thought a lythari tribe with an eldritch theurge from Complete Mage might be interesting as well).
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  16:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Why exactly do the tieflings have a penalty to charisma? From a gaming perspective it seems they should be almost 'equal' to Aasimar, their mirrored twin .

True--it's not like powerful demons tend to have low CHA scores...

Not that I'm a huge fan of warlocks (least of all "good warlocks"), but that's my opinion.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Mar 2007 16:20:15
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  17:35:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They didn't until 3e changed their stat modifiers. If you look at the 2e modifiers, in the Planewalker's Handbook from Planescape, they actually had a +1 modifier to charisma.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  18:50:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the physical description says they usually have features that a lot of people would find slightly disconcerting. It's easy to talk to someone with a similar appearance, but not so easy when that person has red scales and smells like brimstone.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  18:51:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the physical description says they usually have features that a lot of people would find slightly disconcerting. It's easy to talk to someone with a similar appearance, but not so easy when that person has red scales and smells like brimstone.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  20:24:10  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Charisma is actually much less important to warlocks than it is to sorcerers and bards. All it effects are the save DCs of warlock invocations. Most of those don't even have save DCs. It's quite easy to build a warlock without a single save DC invocation and even if you have a few, the -1 to them shouldn't make a big difference.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  20:25:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Wooly, charisma isn't only about appearance, or ghouls wouldn't have a +1 to it in 3/3.5e and ghasts wouldn't have a +3! Appearance only plays a part of charisma.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 15 Mar 2007 20:26:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  20:55:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

But Wooly, charisma isn't only about appearance, or ghouls wouldn't have a +1 to it in 3/3.5e and ghasts wouldn't have a +3! Appearance only plays a part of charisma.

True... But appearance is a factor. I don't know why those undead types would have bonuses, though, unless it was a charm effect...

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  21:01:03  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan is your warlock who makes a cameo in a sourcebook still NDA?
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  22:07:34  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eytan is your warlock who makes a cameo in a sourcebook still NDA?

It was a cameo in Dragons of Faerun. That aspect is not NDA. The details of his life (beyond what's printed in the first article) are still NDA.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  15:50:00  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In light of Eytan's article I am really excited about designing a fey warlock that serves the Seelie court, maybe after a mis-spent youth serving some evil deity... Titania sponsors warlocks as a counter to the Queen of Air and Darkness sponsoring the warlock covens in the Kryptgarden Forest... The lore Mr. Bernstein gave us on the Tairemgira was very good! Can anyone give me more info on King WitchThorn? Is he a Realms-specific NPC? Anyway, great article!

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  16:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I'm a designer or anything . . . but tieflings are kinda my favorite character race (have been that way since my first experiences with AD&D).

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

True... But appearance is a factor. I don't know why those undead types would have bonuses, though, unless it was a charm effect...

As I understand it, Charisma is also about force of personality -- strength of character. A person who walks into a crowded room and instantly becomes the center of attention, would be a person of high charisma, as would a political leader who looks like a dog (or ape, etc.) but has an amazing speaking ability.

Creatures of great power -- ghosts, vampires, demons, etc. -- have high charisma scores, because it's just *not possible* to ignore them, and they have the backing of ages to what they say. Same (to a lesser extent) with ghouls and other mindful undead.

Also, I guess Charisma might be about memorability -- you never forget that hot gal who smiled at you on the subway, for instance -- and I suppose (one could make a case, silly as it would be) that that's why ghouls/ghasts have a positive charisma: it's kinda hard to forget one of them.

All that, however, seems to point toward tieflings having a *high* charisma instead of a low, but I suppose it might be a matter of growing up in a society that loathes and fears you for your heritage. The ability to pass unseen and go unremembered might be highly rated, and those tieflings without high charisma are the ones who tend to attract less attention from do-gooders and easily swayed townsfolk (etc.), thus to survive, ergo low charisma is an evolutionarily selected trait.

(Then again, so many tieflings seem to get by on their wit and charm and bluffing abilities -- here I'm thinking of my "master liar" character* . . .)

Such an argument might apply to half-orcs as well, but I suppose orcs as a society favor brawn (STR) over charm (CHA), much like dwarves would favor hardiness (CON). Thereby leaders inspire by their martial abilities, rather than their affability and appeal.

Cheers

*My master liar being a tiefling rogue / thrall of baalzebul with maxed ranks in bluff and a circlet of persuasion. (He has like a +16 bluff at 3rd level.) His MO is thus:

1) never pay for a night in an inn -- there's always a barmaid or two or three to charm;
2) never, ever "break even" on a job -- always come out ahead;
3) never actually fight anything with a brain (INT over 5) that you can talk your way out of -- at least not fairly.
4) Never pay full price for anything -- bargain, bargain, bargain, and make the salesman cry himself to sleep that night.

EDIT: I really like one of those earlier suggestions; I think in my games I'm going to houserule that tieflings in my game get a -2 wisdom instead of -2 charisma, much like I have half-elves getting +2 charisma (without any other penalties).

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 30 Mar 2007 16:45:39
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  20:11:29  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In light of Eytan's article I am really excited about designing a fey warlock that serves the Seelie court, maybe after a mis-spent youth serving some evil deity... Titania sponsors warlocks as a counter to the Queen of Air and Darkness sponsoring the warlock covens in the Kryptgarden Forest... The lore Mr. Bernstein gave us on the Tairemgira was very good! Can anyone give me more info on King WitchThorn? Is he a Realms-specific NPC? Anyway, great article!

No problem. Witchthorn was first described in the "Verdant Princes in Faerun" entry on page 173 of Monster Manual IV. Thanks for the feedback.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  20:27:27  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One way to think of Charisma is as the power to influence people. To convince people to do what you want them to do. Tieflings get a lower Cha on the whole as their creepiness makes people less likely to want to do what they say.

Like trusting a man that 'looks' like a child molester. Even though you have proof that he is an excellent child care provider and has never touched a child, you might feel like you can't trust him or he is just waiting for his moment to commit the crime.

Undead and Demons have high charisma for the reason that they can influence people as well. They might commonly tell lies and use threats (Bluff and Intimadate, both Charisma skills). Diplomacy skills are also useful to manipulate prey into turning to undeath or evil. Plus undead usually replaces Con checks with Cha checks for their powers like poisons.

Other ideas might be a feat that gives a bonus to Cha and Intimate checks plus a higher Diplomacy checks penalty due to monsterous appearance for Tieflings.

Just posting my thoughts.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  21:09:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

One way to think of Charisma is as the power to influence people. To convince people to do what you want them to do.

This I understand. I just didn't explain myself well enough, I guess...

quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Tieflings get a lower Cha on the whole as their creepiness makes people less likely to want to do what they say.

This is the point I was getting at... For most people, a person's looks can be quite influential. It's certainly not the entirety of Charisma, but it is a factor. Thus, someone with an obviously fiendish/demonic heritage is going to have a harder time dealing with average people.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  21:44:21  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might be easier to look at the Charisma skills and an idea of what Charisma is.

Bluff, Intimdate, Perform, Diplomacy, Use Magical Device, Handle Animals, Gather Information, and Disguise.

All involve convincing something (person, animal, object) to do or think something that you want them to do or think.

Either convincing that wand that you are a wizard, convincing that animal to attack upon command, convince that crowd to give you money for dancing, or convincing that guard that you belong in that out of bounds room. All of these takes Charisma.

Does that help?

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  19:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sages,

I think a fey warlock would look like Uncle Arthur.

NOT IN THE FACE! PLEASE! NOT IN THE FACE!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000