Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Inhabitants of Selune?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  02:01:05  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone live in Selune? Does it even have an atmosphere?

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  02:04:48  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question ! I think you should ask Ed about that.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  02:06:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, there are people living on Selune.

Among them... humans, elves, and a significant settlement of Leiran faithful. Actually, they'd likely former faithful now given her 'dead' status. There are other races also. See the Realmspace sourcebook and the details for Selune at the spelljammer.org website.

I'll also note that an illusion crafted by Leira herself makes/made the moon appear to be a barren rock, hiding the actual landscape. I say makes/made because, with the death of Leira, it isn't entirely clear the illusion still exists. We're currently waiting to hear back from Ed on the matter.

My own thoughts suggest that, until we hear otherwise, Leira's illusion simply isn't what it used to be. It may be that it has decayed somewhat, since with Leira herself now gone, the worshippers have nothing to pray to in order to continue benefiting from Leira's "gift." Cyric taking on the illusion is an interesting prospect, perhaps even having him posing as Leira for a time. Though, I'd imagine he's only doing this because he feels he can eventually turn this sizable portion of Leira-worshippers to him and increase his power beyond Toril itself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Mar 2007 06:37:24
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  02:11:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd assume dwarves make up some percentage of those "other races."

Even though their petitions to set up mines on the moon have met with little success, dwarves are inherently a stubborn people. Thus, a small community of them likely exists on Selune for the express purpose of "reminding the authorities" why they are there. They may even attempt what little prospecting they can get away with from time to time... though, I'd imagine the Selunite government does all it can to dissuade such dwarven actions -- for fears about outsiders discovering the "invasion shelters."

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Mar 2007 02:17:20
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  02:30:27  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Leira worshippers on the moon sounds intriguing. I like it.

But what of the actual landscape? The spelljammer website is sparse on the subject.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  02:30:51  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there is a fair bit of discussion of this topic in this thread:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8426&SearchTerms=spelljammer
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  03:34:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eladrinstar

But what of the actual landscape? The spelljammer website is sparse on the subject.
The Realmspace sourcebook is the best source for this type of lore.

Briefly, most of Selune's surface is comprised of "sprawling cities, huge lakes, and seas. Majestic mountains with molten peaks lie in huge ranges which stretch from north to south. Three such mountain ranges exist, with the middle one being the tallest and most formidable. The tops of the highest 12 mountains are molten."

From that, we see that most of the cities spread across the surface are connected by decorative streets and illuminated walkways.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  03:51:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Indeed, there are people living on Selune.

Among them... humans, elves, and a significant settlement of Leiran faithful. Actually, they'd likely former faithful now given her 'dead' status. There are other races also. See the Realmspace sourcebook and the details for Selune at the spelljammer.org website.

I'll also note that an illusion crafted by Leira herself makes/made the moon appear to be a barren rock, hiding the actual landscape. I say makes/made because, with the death of Selune , it isn't entirely clear the illusion still exists. We're currently waiting to hear back from Ed on the matter.

My own thoughts suggest that, until we hear otherwise, Leira's illusion simply isn't what it used to be. It may be that it has decayed somewhat, since with Leira herself now gone, the worshippers have nothing to pray to in order to continue benefiting from Leira's "gift." Cyric taking on the illusion is an interesting prospect, perhaps even having him posing as Leira for a time. Though, I'd imagine he's only doing this because he feels he can eventually turn this sizable portion of Leira-worshippers to him and increase his power beyond Toril itself.

WTF!

I assume you mean Leira?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  06:38:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe... Indeed, I did mean Leira*.

* Accept this merely as an example of how an old sage, who even though may currently be running on less than five hours sleep over the last three days, is still quite capable of making ridiculous errors

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  09:04:02  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...why do I get new ideas whenever I read something about Torils moon?

This time it's about Cyrics reason for maintaining "The Grand Illusion": with all the Leirans being so paranoid about an invasion from Toril, Cyric (the god of strife, remember!) has the ideal hatchery for one of the greatest strifes ever possible. Compared to the storm an "interplanetary" war between Selune and Toril(1) would arouse, the cyric-caused strife among the Zhentarim looks like a calm wind.

(1) it probably wouldnd't be a war between only Faerun and the moon, because the Leirans would want to involve the Shou spelljamming fleet.

From what we know about the Leirans, their two greatest features are hedonism and their paranoia. So if the people of a whole PLANET dedicate a big part of their resources to preparing for an invasion on such a global scale, they probably have amassed quite some resources. And remember: they didn't start only yesterday hoarding magical items and preparing invasion shelters!

It needs only a little spark of intrigue (Cyrics core competence, apart from self-induced madness ) to convince them that this or that nation/alliance/powergroup plans an invasion and is about to strike.

Cyric might use a spelljammimg ship (or several) he got his hands on, give it to somebody of that powergroup and send them under some pretence to Selune. He foists some false documents on them, sends a dream-vision to a "Selunite" priest on the moon (or to several of them, giving the impression of a major warning sign from their goddess) - and settles back to enjoy the largest strife he has created in his rather short divine life!

If Cyric starts to let the Grand Illusion "leak" from time to time, he might be able to convince the Leirans that the reason is the groundling enemy, trying to destroy it magically (even though it's a bit far-fetched that mortals can influence such a huge divine work).
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  18:53:38  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Briefly, most of Selune's surface is comprised of "sprawling cities, huge lakes, and seas. Majestic mountains with molten peaks lie in huge ranges which stretch from north to south. Three such mountain ranges exist, with the middle one being the tallest and most formidable. The tops of the highest 12 mountains are molten."

From that, we see that most of the cities spread across the surface are connected by decorative streets and illuminated walkways.

I've never been quite sure where Opus, the enclave of Netherese penguinmages, wound up: is it on Selune or in the Tears, or is it on a different plane?

(And I give a rousing cheer of support for slade's Realmspace. It is one of the best sources for truly obscure Realmslore, such as why Everlund's former paladin-prince isn't ruling there anymore.)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  19:09:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Opus is in Selune's planar realm, so it's on the outer planes. See Lost Empires.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  19:10:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the inhabitants of Opus had a hand in the creation of the Moonpenguin of Boop.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  19:54:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I wonder if the inhabitants of Opus had a hand in the creation of the Moonpenguin of Boop.

HAHAHA! Maybe!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  22:00:31  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... of Boof. Not Boop. I can't believe you'd make such a critical error in Realmslore.

;-)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  22:15:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh . . . Boof was a inaccurate translation from the original Loross . . . er . . . or something.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  22:42:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh . . . Boof was a inaccurate translation from the original Loross . . . er . . . or something.

Now what kind of charlatan would go and rename things by blaming them on the original Loross?

:-D

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  23:02:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Now what kind of charlatan would go and rename things by blaming them on the original Loross?

:-D

--Eric

Perhaps a regional transalation, if not that blame the bard. *wink*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  23:18:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I've never been quite sure where Opus, the enclave of Netherese penguinmages, wound up: is it on Selune or in the Tears, or is it on a different plane?
Opus's save from apparent demise during Karsus's Folly was briefly referenced in the entry for Opus in the N:EoM boxed set. Whereupon it becomes Selūnarra in Lost Empires of Faerūn and now resides in Selūne's realm. Along with LEoF, you'll find more about Opus/Selūnarra within the N:EoM boxed set.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Mar 2007 23:19:44
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  03:42:28  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, useful information for my Toril Exploration campaign. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  00:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

So I take it that Toril's moon, unlike our moon, actually has an atmosphere (and, in fact, one similar to that of Earth)?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 27 Mar 2007 00:41:24
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  00:55:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the most part.

Realmspace notes that the surface of Selune is a cool place, except for the areas around those molten mountain tops I noted earlier. It is said that the temperature on the surface rarely exceeds 60 degrees [Fahrenheit, I presume], though it virtually never drops to below freezing point. The temperature factor is apparently related to Leira's illusion.

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Mar 2007 01:29:34
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  01:06:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For the most part.

Realmspace notes that the surface of Selune is a cool place, except for the areas around those those molten mountain tops I noted earlier. It is said that the temperature on the surface rarely exceeds 60 degrees [Fahrenheit, I presume], though it virtually never drops to below freezing point. The temperature factor is apparently related to Leira's illusion.

Interesting--I had no idea. I'm all the more intrigued about this place and think it would be pleasant place to live (or adventure).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  18:31:35  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Opus's save from apparent demise during Karsus's Folly was briefly referenced in the entry for Opus in the N:EoM boxed set. Whereupon it becomes Selūnarra in Lost Empires of Faerūn and now resides in Selūne's realm. Along with LEoF, you'll find more about Opus/Selūnarra within the N:EoM boxed set.

Sorry, Sage, but it remains unclear to me. I've read the references you cite, but I'm still not certain if it's in Selune's planar realm or on the moon itself (or in the Tears). Realmspace didn't mention it at all, as I recall.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  18:41:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry, Sage, but it remains unclear to me. I've read the references you cite, but I'm still not certain if it's in Selune's planar realm or on the moon itself (or in the Tears). Realmspace didn't mention it at all, as I recall.

It's in Selūne's planar realm, the Gates of the Moon.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  22:39:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there's a echo in here. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  01:00:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's Selūne's planar realm -- the Gates of the Moon [see PGtF]. 'Tis noted on pg. 109 under the 'Selūnarra' entry in Lost Empires of Faerūn.

And it wouldn't be referenced in Realmspace.

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Mar 2007 02:06:51
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  18:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's Selūne's planar realm -- the Gates of the Moon [see PGtF]. 'Tis noted on pg. 109 under the 'Selūnarra' entry in Lost Empires of Faerūn.

And it wouldn't be referenced in Realmspace.

Mercy buckets.

My confusion lay in whether "Gates of the Moon" could be used to refer to Selune, the astronomical body. Apparently it refers solely to Selune's planar realm.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000