Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

XNedra
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  00:38:16  Show Profile Send XNedra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do I get the Myras Bow Of Spell Storing? I want one for my drow cleric.

Also the magical items listed in this thread are brilliant, can I use them in any campaign. I am TRYING to write a new campaign which I am finding hard as I have not played in a while. Any help gratefully received

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Edited by - XNedra on 26 Feb 2007 00:40:52
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  20:03:40  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are two ways to get one of those bows.

First, you can try to track down Myra and convince her to sell you a bow. She sells them for 5,000gp, but she doesn't sell them to just anybody. She's a Deathslayer (a Necromancer obsessed with the destruction of the undead), so she's more likely to sell you the bow if she thinks you're going to hunt undead, especially if you say you're a vampire hunter.

If you can't track her down and convince her to sell you one, then the only other way is to steal one. A few are in the hands of vampire hunters (ones who hunt with Myra), but most are owned by the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors. They recharge the bows and issue them to Watch patrols in the City of the Dead (for killing zombies and ghouls). Neither the cops, the guild nor the vampire hunters will part with one willingly.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.

Edited by - LordXenophon on 24 Jun 2007 20:51:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  09:13:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matan Thunder

80-81 Eyepatch of Detection and True Sight: This magical eye patch is fashioned from a beautiful buffed rainbow dragon's scale which is an approximately 2 in. oval, which is set on an adjustable golden chain with many mithril runes sewn into its surface. When the eye patch is set over an eye it grants the wearer the ability to detect visibility, detect secret doors, detect enemies, and use true sight through the device whenever it is put on. Only one power may be accessed per use, as the other powers remain dormant during that time. The owner of the device will notice that they can see out of the eye patch as if they were looking through their regular eye. Whenever one of these powers is activated the eye patch glows with a soft purple radiance visible at 30 ft.. Value: 35,000 gp.

Ironically, I have created a magical item quite similar (but a bit more powerful) to this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  00:40:31  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

Mana dead prison cells are far more common.

Do you mean 'dead magic' by 'mana dead'? As in 'a dead magic zone'? Because I don't see how wizards could manipulate the size of such areas. Or are these prisons "powered" by 'anti-magic fields'?

Why call them 'mana dead...'?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm

Edited by - Asgetrion on 04 Apr 2007 00:44:52
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  15:52:46  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

Mana dead prison cells are far more common.

Do you mean 'dead magic' by 'mana dead'? As in 'a dead magic zone'? Because I don't see how wizards could manipulate the size of such areas. Or are these prisons "powered" by 'anti-magic fields'?

Why call them 'mana dead...'?

Wishes can be used to remove Dead Magic Zones (and reshape I think).
I see no reason why a Wish couldn't create a Dead Magic Zone, however that will get Mystra very upset with you and probably have Chosen coming after you.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  17:51:45  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Made some items too :)

Prespers Deflecting Gauntlets
These forearm length exquisitely engraved silvery gauntlets have intricately written runes of protection enscribed along dark lines over the leatherarmcase. It allows an alert mage to freely cast spells and deflect incoming blows. The force can also be used to hurl objects or people away from the caster.
These gauntlets were given by the Covenant to Presper on several missions to stop Orc hordes of the North. Presper was lost in action on a mission on the planes.

This set of +3 silvered gauntlets (medium 1d4 damage) give an arcane wielder the ability to cast lesser deflect (immediate action, +3 shield AC for 1 round, PHB2 spell cl 3) at will. 3 times a day the arcane wielder can cast deflect (immediate action, +6 shield AC for 1 round, PHB2 cl 12). Also 3 times a day a melee touch attack allows the wielder to bull rush the target with a +11 modifier without moving along.
Strong abjuration and evocation; create arms & armor and create wondrous item; deflect, bigby's striking fist caster level 11
Cost 48602 gp

Helm of Everwatchfull Valor

This half open, horizontally visored helm is from striking shining mithral. Some plumes on both sides adorn the movable visors.
This helm (with the visors down) gives the wearer +4 spot and allows the bearer +2 damage to charging enemies. The helm also gives a +1 morale bonus to AC for 1 round when the wearer is hit.
Divination; create wondrous item and initiate of Helm; clairvoyance, divine favor Cost 10400 gp

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  22:14:13  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wishes can be used to remove Dead Magic Zones (and reshape I think).
I see no reason why a Wish couldn't create a Dead Magic Zone, however that will get Mystra very upset with you and probably have Chosen coming after you.

The Chosen of Mystra will never come after you for something like this. That's just isn't what they do. If it's not threatinging the world, the weave as a whole or Mystra herself, it's not worth their time.

Repairing dead magic areas is the job of the Weavespinners. They won't attack anyone, though. They do it by casting wild magic spells into the dead areas. The wild magic has no apparent effect, but the dead area is slightly reduced. It can take them centuries to completely clean up a dead magic area this way. Weavespinners might also be sent to weaken the physical walls of such cells, to make it easier for Mystra's faithful to escape.

It is the job of the Shadowstaves to limit damage to the Weave, magical lore, magic items, and so forth. If Mystra felt someone was going to continue to destroy the weave, rather than just make a single magic-free cell, she would send Shadowstaves to interfere. Shadowstaves work by slow, subtle means to destroy buildings, societies, careers, towns, etc., but never by violent means if they can help it. They would rather prevent the creation of more dead magic areas by arranging the mysterious disappearance of that Ring of Two Wishes Left.

If Mystra feels an immediate, violent response is needed (a VERY rare occurence), then she would send a Persuevant Arcane, a member of the Order of the Shooting Star, or some other adventurer who happens to be looking for a chance to earn Mystra's favor. It could even be your PC's!

Go to Top of Page

Gwaeren Tiliano
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2007 :  20:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Gwaeren Tiliano's Homepage Send Gwaeren Tiliano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, i'm new here, but i had an idea for an item:

Mystra's Magic Retainer

This single bracer is made of a single piece of gold, with a stylized holy symbol of Mystra in the center, with spiraling deisgns radiating from the symbol. Originally made by the Magister, this item is coveted by all spellcasters everywhere.

Caster Level: 18th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, mage armor, Mordenkainen's disjunction
Market Price: I don't know, you tell me

This bracer acts as a bracer of armor +6, but it's real power is only displayed when exposed to antimagic. It automatically dispels one antimagic spell cast at or around the wearer. Also, if the wearer nears a dead-magic or wild-magic zone, the bracer starts glowing.

Tell me what you think of it
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  21:20:41  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The effect wouldn't really need Mordenkainen's Disjunction. This seems more like Spellstrike to me. Requiring Spellstrike would also make this harder to make, and therefore more rare, since most PC's never learn Spellstrike. In fact, I don't even know where to find a d20 system version of this spell.

Go to Top of Page

Thmpr
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  22:37:24  Show Profile  Visit Thmpr's Homepage Send Thmpr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Qag’s War MantleDiscription : This large yellowed orc skull, covered with silvered etchings, is worn on the shoulder and automatically affixes itself if placed there without need for straps or similar bindings (the bearer can remove it at any time). Qag always knew who his father was, the Orog Gnasg. It wasent untill many years after excaping from the slavery that Gnasg sold him to, that Qag was able to exact his revenge with the aid of some adventuring comrads. After making of with the orogs head he has sence enchanted it into Qag’s War Mantle. It counts as a cloak for the purpose of magic item space limitations. It acts as an broach of shielding (101missiles), a cloak of resistance +2, and a chasable of fell power (lesser). Caster Level: 6th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, shield, resistance, creator must be able to invoke a Eldritch Blast; (7923 gp/ 840 xp) Market Price: 15,900 gp; Weight: --.

FYI: Qag is a half-orc warlock/ sorcerer/ Eldritch Thurge who is been very quietly learning magic. I think the cost is right. hope you enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Shallabal
Acolyte

Germany
10 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  15:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Shallabal's Homepage Send Shallabal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I made this for an Ilmater Monk (currently level 5)
If anyone feels like coming up with suggestions regarding item level, spells needed, cost, etc. I'd very much appreciate it.

Leather Bracelet of the Ultimate Sacrifice

If worn by a devoted follower of Ilmater, this simple bracelet made of dark brown leather grants the following abilities:

At any level, the wearer will always be stable when hit points are reduced to -1 to -9

1st level: Recovery
The wearer recovers 1 hp / hour

4th level: Minor Sacrifice
The wearer can bestow up to 10 hp / day as a standard action from own hit points by touching a comrade (no successful touch attack needed). The wearer can not transfer more than her current hp and cannot reduce her own hit points to 0 or less. The recipient of the transferred hit points can not surpass his full normal hit point total.

8th level: Improved Recovery
The wearer recovers 2 hp / hour

12th level: Major Sacrifice
The wearer can bestow up to 40 hp / day from own hit points to a comrade. The wearer can fall below 0 hit points by doing and become unconscious but not fall below -9 hit points. The recipient of the transferred hit points can not surpass his full normal hit point total.

16th level: Major Recovery
The wearer recovers 4 hp / hour

20th level: Ultimate Sacrifice
The wearer can bestow up to her current hit points upon a comrade. The wearer can fall below 0 hit points by doing so and become unconscious and can fall below -9 hit points and die. The recipient of the transferred hit points can not surpass his full normal hit point total.

Information: The wearer can bestow the maximum number of hit points in one usage or bestow lower amounts several times a day as long as the maximum number of hit points per day is not exceeded. So, at level 4 the wearer could use this item twice a day and bestow 5 hp each time or once a day and bestow 10 hit points.

"They say time heals all wounds! Yet even now, the sound of her name, the thought of her face, still rend my heart asunder!"
Go to Top of Page

Thevail
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  11:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Thevail's Homepage Send Thevail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is an item I created for a long ago campaign.If anyone wants to stat them feel free, but these were definitely more of a fluffy element than a crunchy one.

Elven play clothes

Aloriath Longleaf was a fortunate elven maiden indeed for she had married the love of her life and born a set of twins, an event of such rarity for elves that presents were sent for the twins even from the elven court. That all changed one day when the twins in a tussel over who's turn it was with the hoop fell to their deaths in a turbulent part of a local river. Turning her entire life's focus towards magic and the safety of children Aloriath created this set of play clothes for children.They come in the form of robes, tunic and trews, and dresses.

This set of brown and green clothing will magically expand or contract to fit any child under 7 years of age regardless of race.
If the a child wearing the clothing approaches any naturally occurring hazard
(ie quicksand,fast flowing river,cliff, lava flow, being irretrievably lost) the clothing slows the childs movement in half towards that object but doubles it in the direction of home. The clothing will not allow the child to actually approach within 5 feet of the hazard.
If the child approaches/is approached by any predator or unnatural hazard (lions, assassins,demons)the clothing turns the child towards home and a sharp stinging sensation drives the child at a full run towards the nearest parent. Meanwhile the clothing begins to exhibit the colorful effects of (choose color based spell, I've used several different ones)while emitting a loud (alarm) piercing sound that can be heard for 1/2 mile.

This is just my opinion, this and a buck will get you most of a cup of coffee. All standard disclaimers apply.
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  15:23:29  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i just ended a campaigne where my pc's were hunting down a sharran relic collector. i thought i'd post the relics. i didn't stat them; 1. because we don't buy relics and 2. i have a hard time pricing things that don't use specific spell effects.

Selune's Light
+3 holy shade bane heavy mace
constant(when wielded): protection from evil
30' radius bright blue light (D)
lesser powers: 3/day abolish shadows
3/day magic circle vs shadow creatures
greater power: 3/day searing light

to use one must worship selune, sacrifice a 5th level spell slot
or have true believer feat and 11 hd

Strong Abjuration; CL 12th; sanctify relic; craft magic arms and armor; protection from evil, abolish shadows, magic circle vs shadow creatures, and searing light

this relic was created by a Silverstar were-cat somewhere in the western heartlands in 1372 dr. She carried it into battle when the relief army marched toward evereska. She fell in the final battle against phaerim, but her mace was taken up by a harper ranger of selune. The ranger and mace disappeared during the dragon rage of 1373.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Monocle of Mystra
electrum monocle with a platinum chain and ear piece
when placed on right eye: at will - detect magic
3/day - arcane sight
1/day - true seeing

when placed on the left eye: 5/day - identify
2/day - analyze dweomer
1/day - analyze portal

to use one must worship mystra, sacrifice a 7th level spell slot
(divine or arcane)

made within Waterdeep by a rock gnome loremaster with failing eyesight in 1180dr. it was lost during the orc invasion of 1235dr, but was rediscovered by an adventuring group sometime in 1262dr. a scribe in baldur's gate found it in a haversack, while cleaning his basement in 1307dr. the original now lies in candlekeep, but a half-dozen copies have filtered out into faerun since.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Selune's Face
small mithral shield with diamond and silver inlay
constant(when wielded): know lycanthrope 30' range
+4 sacred bonus vs poison
+4 sacred bonus vs disease
(including lycanthropy)
lesser powers: when presented, shield acts as holy focus, increasing the max hd turned by 1. this also allows a turn check vs lycanthropes. any lycanthrope that is turned must revert to natural form for the turn's duration.

greater power: 3/mooncycle(28-30 days) when wielder falls to zero hit points a diamond turns black and casts cure critical wounds. diamonds clear them selves every full moon.

crafted around 1370dr by a hermit selunite in the moonlands of the north. it was presented to high moonmistress Shalyssa Lurialar, on midsummer's eve(1371dr), at the Temple of Silverstars in silverymoon.
several more have been duplicated.

there they are. hope someone likes 'em.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

acro
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  05:01:21  Show Profile Send acro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone I have an item for the magic shop here that I thought would be a nice addition. I hope you all like it considering its my first homebrew and haven't tested it out yet. If anyone would like to and get back to me on how well it would fit in a adventure is fine with me. Well here it is:

Light of Iscarlell

Description: This brooch, when worn by a priest of Oghma or Denier
allows them to decipher a scroll, tome or text that has faded, or
been ruined.

Powers: Gives a +2 to intelligence rolls on deciphering scripts.
Caster level: 4th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor
Market Price: 2,500 gp
Cost to Create: 1,750 gp + 500 xp
Weight: -

Activation type and time duration: Usaully a word of knowledge is
the phrase you use to activate the brooch. It will stay active for
a duration of 1 hour and can be used three times a day.

Background: Iscarlell a priest of Denier was reading an ancient
scroll when he came to a part that had faded with time. He wanted
to know what was written so he prayed to Denier for the power to
read and decipher the script. Denier granted him the knowledge to
make a magical brooch that would allow him to read the scroll.

Well I hope you all like it. PM with with any results. Thank you.

Bring out those dusty tomes to be copied.
Go to Top of Page

Arthedain
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  14:39:41  Show Profile  Visit Arthedain's Homepage Send Arthedain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crafted by one of my players, and designed in co-operation with me (the DM). I give you the bow of Aricaelyr. A "weapon of legacy" for a Solonor worshipping character.

http://rune.gnagsokk.net/dnd/aricaelyr.pdf

Varainion was originally conceived as a mighty angelic warrior in the service of Solonor Thelandira. As penance for a transgression he had to serve as the animal companion of a lowly Solonor worshipping ranger (my player). I used a Tulani (Eladrin, from BoED) to represent his in-game stats at a later stage in the campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2007 :  15:29:36  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasta Fzoul
Dulang’s Remorseful Recoupment
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 touched magic item of the caster’s creation
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Originally developed by the mage Dulang, an artificer known more for his prolific output than for the quality or usefulness of his creations, this spell was a result of the pangs of good sense that frequently struck him upon completing yet another of his novel, ingenious – yet only marginally useful – creations. With this new dweomer mastered, he was able to maintain his reservoir of personal energy, and continue his fanciful manufacturing for years to come (it is speculated that one item which survived the quality-control process and made its way into public circulation was the overly-complicated Rod of Metamagic Switcheroo… ).

This spell allows the caster to reclaim the XP expended in crafting a magic item, eliminating the item’s magical powers in the process. The caster simply touches the item while casting this spell, and all XP spent in crafting it are added to the caster’s total, while the item itself is affected as if by Mordenkainen’s Disjunction. Note that the caster can only reclaim XP from items he or she personally crafted.

Really this spell needs to have an amendment where a charged item only returns a percentage of xp based on remaining charges etc. same with expendable one use items etc.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  23:03:46  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,

I've been working on a campaign set in FR for NWN2 for a while now. One of my big hooks is that I've got tons and tons of custom items. Anybody have a problem with me using some of these in it? This would be a great resource for me because after doing a few hundred of my own it gets a little stale...

I thought it would be best to ask. It is kind of public because it's on a message board, but then again tens of thousands of people will be playing my joint so better to ask I think. I don't want to be stepping on people's toes.

Alright then, thanks.

Subtlety of Thay Ch 1 and Ch 2 NWN2 Module
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  16:11:51  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what this list is here for. Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  23:01:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While that's true, it's always a good idea to ask those responsible for the creation of such items. Which is what dirtywick has done. Speaking for my own items that I've contributed to the "Magic Shop," I'd rather they not be used -- for the time being. I've got other plans for them.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  06:35:55  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's disappointing, but I respect your decision.

When I asked two months ago I had assumed nobody cared and went ahead with it. I'll delete those belonging to you, The Sage. If anybody else has a problem, just tell me and I'll delete yours as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  11:31:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you've already made use of the items I've posted here? No worries. I suppose you can go ahead and just keep using them. Had I known that you'd already started using my material, I would've left it as it is.

I'll just tinker around with some new ideas for what I've got planned.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Feb 2008 11:34:13
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  17:56:06  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, they're already gone! It only took a fraction of the time to verify and delete them as opposed to what it took to make them. However, like any good modder I have a back up still. OK, but let me just say that everyone who's items were used is getting credited by their handle with a link to this thread in the readme. I'm not sure exactly what your plans are, but I'm not out to steal anybody's ideas here; I just liked your ideas. Also, I'm not selling anything or getting paid either, I'm not using it in any manner that somebody with a table top game wouldn't.

That said, if you want them gone for whatever reason, no problem and no hard feelings. It's already done. If it's cool to keep them, I'll snatch them from the back up and bring them back. I'd like to use them, I think they're great. But it's up to you because as far as I'm concerned, they're yours to do with what you wish.

Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  20:14:10  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, sorry for the double post, but I usually get this weird error whenever I post on this forum. I can see my post above, but it doesn't show up on forum screen or the active topics, so I'm bumping this to make sure it gets seen. I just want to make sure this gets resolved properly so I'm not stepping on anybody's toes.

Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2008 :  17:35:39  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a little something I used in an adventure a while back. Thoughts and suggestions on it are most welcome.

Beshaban Cruel Fate Charm

The finger of fate is fickle indeed and even more so when guided by the hand of Beshaba, the Maid of Misfortune. In her eternal battle with the Lady Luck, she recently revealed the secrets of the making of these items to her clergy, and since then they have spread these items far and wide throughout Faerun, to the bane of the followers of Tymora.

A Cruel Fate Charm generally takes the form of a silver bracelet or amulet ostensibly featuring the motif of Tymora - a Disc featuring the face of the Goddess of Luck surrounded by shamrocks. The Charm is presented as bringing good luck to those who wear it, but its true powers are much more sinister. Rather than providing good luck to the wearer, instead he/she receives a dread blessing of the Maid of Misfortune, and the fate of the wearer is twisted ever so slightly.

A wearer of a Cruel Fate Charm suffers a -1 penalty to Will Saves and AC and a -1 penalty to Saves vs Spells from Beshaba’s domains: Chaos, Fate, Luck, Evil, Trickery. Additionally, if it is worn continuously for a week or more, then the Wearer can be scryed upon undetected by a favoured worshipper of Beshaba. If the charm is removed (and it can be freely done so), then this power is lost until it is worn again for a week.

If an Identify spell is cast upon the Charm, then it appears to have the opposite effects to its true nature, i.e. an apparent +1 bonus to Will and AC, and a +1 bonus to the aforementioned Spell Saves.

Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisite: Favoured Worshipper of Beshaba, Craft Wondrous Item, Nondetection, Nystul’s Undetectable Aura, Scrying; Market Price: 1500 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Edited by - StarBog on 24 Feb 2008 17:36:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2008 :  19:32:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evil... But fun!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2008 :  16:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, I like it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2008 :  17:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it too, and I see some interesting adventure ideas that could happen around this devious item. Good work, StarBog!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 25 Feb 2008 17:17:56
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  15:36:21  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I like it too, and I see some interesting adventure ideas that could happen around this devious item. Good work, StarBog!

Ta muchly.

This originated from a Convention Adventure I wrote for Gencon UK a few years back. The original version was actually Sharran, and also granted the wearer a weak form of low-light vision (as well as weakness to the Shadow Weave), but I tnink it makes more sense to tie these items to the Maid of Misfortune instead.

I'm pondering a stronger version that would twist fate even more and inflict the wearer with, say once per day, at the most inopportune moment possible, a -10 penalty to one particular roll. Something akin to an inverse True Strike effect, if you will.

Best,
StarBog.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  01:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just posting an item that I had made for one of the games I'm DMing, and thought some other scribe might find it useful (or at least interesting):

Rhauntides' Lenses of the Binder
High Indexer Danali commissioned these brass-rimmed scroll-shaped glasses from Rhauntides, Sage of Deepingdale, for the aasimar librarian and explorer Tarim Bernes. Most importantly, they disguise his rather obvious wings (as a hat of disguise), but more helpfully, they provide a +2 competence bonus to Appraise and Decipher Script. Also, three times per day, the wearer may activate a detect magic effect, as the spell, lasting for one minute each use. Copies of these lenses have since been seen around the Realms since Rhauntides' death, including one pair sold in Calimport's Dark Bazaar in 1374.
Faint divination and illusion; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, appraising touch, detect magic, disguise self. Market price: 4,500 gp.
Cost to create: 2,250 gp, 180 XP, 5 days.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  11:13:01  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rod of Bloodline Control, a.k.a. "Bastard's Bane"

(Note: I originally came up with the concept for this item for another fantasy system/setting I'm writing a supplement for, but it translates across well into the Forgotten Realms, where, judging from how randy many of the Nobles get, it is much needed )

One of the most oft-quoted maxims spouted by would be philosophers in Taverns across Faerun, usually after considerable amounts of alcoholic beverages, and to justify their inherent misogyny is that "men will be men, and women will be women". Inadvertently, they are correct. Men will be men, and noble men will certainly be noble men. It seems sometimes that Faerun is overrun with randy nobles bedding as many maidens as they can, almost always to the detriment of their marriages to their long-suffering spouses. This is not to say that noblewomen are paragons of virtue, far from it, but historically, it has always been the noblemen who cannot control the contents of their pants.

Take for example the late King Azoun IV of Cormyr, whose prowess at producing illegimate offspring (called "the Dragon's bastards" behind their backs) is legendary in both noble and bardic circles Faerun wide. During his lifetime, he acknowledged quite a few, however scuttlebutt has it (correctly) that there are dozens more royal bastards there, unacknowledged results of Azoun's "wayward wife-conquerings".

Of course in a stable, prosperous country like Cormyr, the spreading of the Royal blood isn't really a matter for great concern. The machinery of state (i.e. Vangerdahast) would make sure things were smoothed over, and gainful and useful employment was found for youngsters of Noble Blood. In many other areas of Faerun however, things aren't as stable. Who hasn't heard of the Border Kingdoms, for example, where it seems every week another alleged offspring of a bored Baron's secret tryst with a Chambermaid rises up and proclaims himself a "liberator" from the "corrupt and decadent" rule of his wayward father, and then proceeds to lay waste to said father's kingdom?

But what about the fakes and the imitators? It is not unheard of for a supposed bastard to be actually a plant by a rival Kingdom in an attempt to gain control of a Throne without the effort of invasion. There are rumours of Cabals of Wizards far to the east (fond of wearing Red) who create magical simulacrum of noble born purely for the purposes of spreading discord and chaos. And who hasn't heard of shape shifters, who worm their way onto Thrones for whatever nefarious purposes those strange creatures desire?

Such questions recently vexed one particular Scion of Siamorphe in particular. Bellan Greymantle was the first assistant to the First High Lady Scion at the Chapel and Chalice of the Divine Right in Waterdeep. Greymantle, who was originally from Cormyr, was particularly paranoid of shape shifters, and he had a recurring nightmare that the Dragon Throne would fall to the depredations of one of these creatures, disguised as an unacknowledged offspring of the late Azoun. So he implored the aid of his deity, and with the help of a smith he knew, the Rod of Bloodline Control was born.

Each rod takes the form of a hollow adamantine cylinder the length of a forearm. Both ends are stoppered up, and the outside of the rod is inscribed with the holy symbols of Siamorphe. The rod itself is inert until it is powered with the blood of a particular noble line. To do this, it is filled with one whole pint of blood from a living humanoid of the noble lineage in particular. The blood is then magically absorbed into the rod whenever a prayer to Siamorphe is uttered, and from that point on, in the hands of any Scion of Siamorphe, the rod will emit a mild and non-harming electric shock when brought into physical contact with anyone not of the same bloodline that the rod is attuned to. Once a rod has been attuned to a bloodline, it cannot be de-attuned or the bloodline changed.

As for Bellan Greymantle, he never lived to see his rods being used. Late one night in Nightal 1373 DR, he was found murdered in a snowdrift in an alleyway in South Waterdeep. At the same time, there was a break-in at the Chapel and Chalice of the Divine Right and the five rods he had so far constructed were stolen. No one has ever been held responsible for either crime.

Strong divination; CL 13th; Craft Rod, Legend Lore, blessing by Siamorphe; Price: 18,500 gp.

(Edit: Added Ergdusch's Creation Info)

Edited by - StarBog on 29 Feb 2008 18:48:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000