Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2006 :  02:01:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

I don't know why but for some reason, it's the first time i come by this thread. Is the posting of magical items restricted to a few scribes or is it open to all. I was just wondering in case i get the urge to share a few of the items i created over the years.

Thanks for any response.

Pat

Somewhere through my ramblings in this scroll... I opened it to other scribes here at Candlekeep -- I think it was in late-2003.

Anyways... yes, both the Woolpert and Big Al are correct.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  17:31:56  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok then, thanks. I may contribute some of my items then in hopes that they are on par with some of the ones i saw here.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2006 :  03:47:55  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

Here is my first contribution to your trove of the art. The Silver Symbol of Chauntea:

http://patoumonde.com/rules/MAGICITEM-SilverSymbolofChauntea.pdf

Hope you like it.

Pat

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2006 :  23:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff. I don't think Chauntea gets enough attention when it comes to magic items.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  04:13:50  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might post the other symbols if interest in them is shown byt the community.

Pat

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  02:19:43  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go for it. Priests could always use more magical items.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  10:58:34  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An ancient Uthgardt weapon that I have introduced into my campaign, being used by an Uthgardt Barbarian in the party to the deteriment of the party Wizard. He caught the barbarian in his fireball and the barbarian rolled 5 1s in a roll for his Will save, and ended up killing the Wizard.

Magekiller: This ancient bastard sword once belonged to an ancient Uthgardt Chieftain, it is rumored that the spirit of this chieftain dwells within. The sword refuses to answer questions regarding this, but does seem to have knowledge on ancient Uthgardt customs. The sword has an extreme dislike of arcane spellcasters, especially Netherese ones and the sword seems to have a special desire to battle the Shadovar.
+2 Anarchic Corrosive Magebane Bastard Sword; AL CN; Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 16; Speech (Telepathy with Wielder); 120 ft. Darkvision and Hearing; Ego 24.
Speaks/Read: Common, Illuskan, Loross, Netherese.
Lesser Powers: Detect Magic at will, Knowledge (Local: The North) +13, Knowledge (History) +13.
Greater Powers: 3/day—Daylight, Haste on wielder; 1/day—Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, Teleport (600# max).
Moderate Conjuration, Evocation and Transmutation; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Chaos Hammer, Dispel Magic, Melf’s Acid Arrow, Creator must be Chaotic; Price 72,335 gp.
Note: The Price is just for the base weapon itself, not counting what it gets from being an Intelligent Weapon.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  09:17:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OH! OH! OH! I have a good one! I'll post it as soon as I find it between all those loose pages of lore...........(*ransacking*)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  14:16:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mantle of Lion’s Bravery
This is a mantle of white silk, a roaring lion’s head emblazoned into its silken cloth with gold thread. White tassels hang from either end of it collar. The mantle is about 8 feet long and always appears stainless. When worn over existing armor, this mantle adds a +2 armor enhancement bonus to its wearer’s armor class. Further, the wearer of the mantle receives a +4 sacred bonus to saves against fear effects. Once per day the wearer can use the extraordinary ability to summon a celestial dire lion to fight for him (standard action), which appears with a loud roar and stays for 10 rounds thereafter. However, should the lion be slain the bonuses the Mantle provides and the lion’s head emblem vanish. It reappears at the next sunrise as do the bonuses.
Unfortunately, the mantle constantly radiates a very soft white light as such of a candle (see p. 165 PHB 3.5), outlining the wearer in twilight, shadows, darkness (not in magical darkness though) and similar conditions, making any hide attempts in those conditions impossible.
(Celestial Dire Lion: HP: 60; Ini: +2; Speed: 40 ft.; AC: 15;
Att: 2 claws +12 (1-6+7 dmg), bite +2 (1-8+3 dmg);
SA: Pounce, Improved Grap, Rake 1-6+3, Smite Evil 1/day (+8 dmg);
SQ: Scent, Darkvision 60ft., Acid/Cold/Electricity Resistance 15, Dmg Reduction 5/+2, SR 16;
Saves: Fort: +9, Reflex +8, Will: +7;
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 12;
References: see p. 211 & 57 MM1 )
Caster Level: 10th;
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item; magic vestment, remove fear, summon monster V
Market Price: 23,280 gp;
Weight: 2 lb.

(creation inspired by Randy Bowers)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 21 Jun 2006 14:17:09
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2006 :  23:04:56  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have hundreds of strange magic items, left over from years of running AD&D games. Perhaps I should post a few of the more interesting ones.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  12:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mask of The Shadow Lord

Description and Powers

This black, opaque mask is unique to one religion on Faerûn, the church of Mask. It is said to only be given to Maskarrans and operatives of Mask who have achieved some great duty in the service of the Master of All Thieves. Such tasks can include, the stealing of something very valuable and offering it as a tribute to Mask. Or, long and dedicated service to the church. It has the following powers -

-The mask functions as a hat of disguise
-This item functions as a divine focus for the purposes of casting Cleric spells
-2/day, Darkness
-1/day, Listening Shadow (see Faiths and Avatars)

(this is incomplete along with a few other times i've created, my road block has been determining market value and all that jazz, can anyone help?)

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  15:16:44  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, this one I whipped up as a custom thing to go with one of my fic-characters. The concept and broad game effects were mostly of my own devising (Danyel Woods, AKA “Trace_Coburn”), but many, many warm thanks go to warlockco for kindly doing the heavy-lifting in working out the exact details and all the economics!
(I hate not having a DMG! )

Bracer of the Chalice
The outer face of this mithral bracer, which is crafted to be worn on the sword-arm of a Medium-sized individual, is embossed in copper and gold with the emblems of Sune Firehair and the Order of the Chalice. Originally commissioned for one of the Order’s Knights, a paladin of Sune operating out of a shrine near what is now Ilmwatch, it was lost when the shrine was destroyed by a trio of vrocks more than two centuries ago. It was recently rediscovered in the possession of another paladin of Sune, a Cormyrean who came into possession of the Bracer in The Vast during her journey home from Azoun’s Crusade.

The Bracer of the Chalice:
- grants the wearer a deflection bonus of +4 to AC
- is immune to rust and corrosion, even extending this protection to any armor worn by the wearer, and grants the wearer acid resistance 5
- seals its wearer’s wounds as a periapt of wound closure
- and when worn by a paladin of Sune facing an evil outsider, the Bracer also grants a +2 luck bonus to initiative.

The Bracer of the Chalice cannot abide the touch of evil, bestowing two negative levels on any evil creature attempting to wear it. The negative levels remain as long as the Bracer is worn and disappear when it is removed. These negative levels never result in actual level loss, but cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the Bracer is worn. The Bracer of the Chalice will demonstrate no magical properties other than being immune to rust and corrosion while being worn by an evil being.
When worn by a neutral being, the Bracer of the Chalice provides a +1 deflection bonus to AC, operates as a periapt of wound closure and is immune to rust and corrosion, but provides no other benefits.

Strong abjuration, conjuration, and transmutation; CL 12th; Craft Wondrous Item, haste, heal, shield of faith, creator must be follower of Sune; price 63,350 gp, 2,534 XP.

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerûn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerûn, Player's Guide to Faerûn, Power of Faerûn, Races of Faerûn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:41:08  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ummm can i post psionic item here?

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  10:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

Ummm can i post psionic item here?

Well met

Feel free, VonRaventheDaring. I'll look forward to it

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  16:45:32  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well hope i don't disapoint! :D

The Ring of Flowering Immortality

You see a ring that has a small unopened bud shaped gem the color
or a dark sapphire, so blue it is almost black. The petals of the flower
are golden in color are finely made, while the ring is a platinum in color.
As you look closer you notice strange runes written in the ancient language
of Jhaamdath, on the inside of the ring.

Lore Check: 27 This ring is an old psionic creation of a great psion from the
human empire of Jhaamdath, the psion was famous in his own time for
being a reckless adventure, and explorer of the planes.
Lore Check: 30 His name was Nnylious ‘the daring’ Vonraven and he created
this ring to help remove what he saw as flaws in the power of the Astral Seed.
Nnylioius eventually became a Elan and was never heard of again.

This ring only shows minute psionic power if viewed with any type of detection
magic, or powers. The ring while useless to anyone not having any psionic
talent is actually quite powerful to those using the invisible art. This item is a
self disclosing item to those with psionic powers. The ring allows the user to link
with his astral seed via the ring and eliminates any lost levels from the transition
from body to seed during death. There are some complicated issues though, if the
astral seed is destroyed before the person dies then they are stuck in the rings, bud
The ring can hold the soul temporarily but is not designed for that task, if the ring
is taken to the astral before (1 day per level) the soul can attempt to create a new
body to house itself, however if not the soul of the psion is trapped in the ring.
If worn by someone with psionic abilities the soul in the ring can communicate with
the wearer, the soul can also attempt to posses the wearer of the ring, if the power
mind switch is possessed the wearer can switch minds. The wearer of the ring receives
a dc save of 19 for non psionics and 15 for psionic. The ring can only be used 3 times
before it blooms into a flower, and is useless for the astral seed.

The creation cost of the ring is a total cost of 55,000gp (10,000gp ring, 5,000gp leaves
And 40,000gp for the gem.) plus 100xp and the powers of Correspond, sensory link,
Empathic Transfer, and Astral Seed.
This item costs a total of 100,000gp

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  10:58:26  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if anyone could help me with designing my character's family blade. My character is gold elf ighter/mage with emphasis placed on the mage. The blade is intelligent with the soul of one the clan's patron housed within the blade. I have the ok to have the sword level up as my character does and give more abilities as he grows in power(but the blade only grants me the wielder more powers if it deems the charcter worthy of them). The Nularreth Family Blade has been used by a long line of bladesingers throughout the centuries and the abilities should reflect that. But unfortunetly I am at a loss in designing what powers would be good for a bladesinger. For more history check out my character history under the Adventuring header in the thread titled Josidiah Nularreth.

Thanks in advance for any help given

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  01:49:55  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I already posted this on the psionic boards of Wizards, but i had to see what you guys thought of it!

Molecular Modification Lesser
Metacreativity (Creation)
Level: Shaper 3/Psion, Wilder 4
Display: Visual, Material
Manifesting Time: 1 standard round
Range: Touch
Target: Touch
Duration: See Text
Saving Throw: (object)
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 5

This a useful power used to modify something into a more pure form. This power is used to refine the materials that the manifester has on hand, into refined items. All the manifester has to do is have the imperfect of flawed item in his hand and concentrate on it. When successfully done the item will be a flawless or refined version of what ever it was. This power unlike the Molecular Modification Greater does not change the items type, just improves what it is. An Example is making a flawed and chipped sapphire 25gp, into a flawless and un-chipped sapphire 500gp. The value of the item is to be decided by the GM of course!

Molecular Modification Greater
Metacreativity (Creation)
Level: Shaper 5/Psion, Wilder 6
Display: Visual, Material
Manifesting Time: 1 standard round
Range: Touch (See Text)
Area: 1 cubic inch per/ level
Duration: See Text
Saving Throw: (object)
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: See Text

This is a powerful and very useful metacreativity power. It modifies the molecular structure of an item to match that of another item that the Psion must be touching. Example Nnly has one gold coin, and several copper coins, using Molecular Modification Greater he can change the copper coins into gold coins, but he must be holding the gold coin upon manifesting of the power. The range for Molecular Modification is 1 cubic inch per level of the manifester. The Duration is limited to 5 minutes per level of the manifester. Now the power point cost is variable for example modifying something of the same type such as metal to metal costs 10 pp, the modification of something from non-organic to organic or cross type costs 20pp in addition to this to make the item permanently modified it costs and additional 10 power points.
It should be noted that this power is and was never intended to be used on living subjects as a weapon.

I had to make them both shaper and non-shaper discipline powers becasue i love them so much! I look foward to your comments!

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  02:09:58  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have more psionic powers as well but well i would like to be sure you guys like the powers, oops sorry i should say it like so. Well met kind strangers i fear i have many other unique powers of the mind but i hasten to inform you of their lore, as i do now know if thou are kindly minded towards this poor wayward master of the mind. ~insert a bow.

Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  19:35:55  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is getting too full of unique, powerful items that no DM could use, or at least could use only one of. Where are all the minor, fun items you could use to litter dungeon floors, fill treasure chests, weigh down the pockets of the Orcs and line the shelves of Waterdeep's pawn shops?

Here are a few little baubles with which to amuse your players:

Decanter of Endless Waterfowl:
    Pull the plug on this decanter and a duck will pop out. It's usually rather flustered and will try very hard to get away.

Earrings of Sound Vision:
    These are always made in pairs. If both earrings from the same pair are worn, the wearer has no penalties in total darkness, other than color-blindness. The wearer can be blinded by magical silence or any loud noise.

Boxing Ring:
    Wearing this ring grants you the Boxing feat if you don't already have it. (Treat as Martial Arts, but you can't improve it further.) 10% of these rings are cursed, so that when the wearer hears a bell, he boxes with whoever is nearest, until he hears another bell.

Hammer of Nut Crunching:
    This hammer is for opening nut shells. It cracks the shell perfectly every time, without crushing the nut inside. In combat, it's a warhammer +0. (Counts as magical, but with no bonuses.)

Potion of Breast Enlargement:
    This potion comes in 3 strengths, which increase the bust size of the imbiber by 1, 2 or 3 sizes. Despite their obvious appeal to young noblewomen, most are actually sold to male thieves for use as part of a disguise. It last no longer than any other potion (4 turns plus 1d4 turns), so take a few with you just in case.

Nuts of Forgetfulness:
    The magic in these little, golden acorns is obvious to anyone who touches them - their fingers will tingle with the power of the nuts. This is a deliberate effect of a strong enchantment on the nuts, which inflict an irresistable curse. The person who first touched them is compelled to hoard them and keep them safe. As soon as possible, he must safeguard them by adding them to a secret stash, whether that is a secret floorboard in his home, a hole in the barn, a safe deposit box at the moneylender or just a sock at the bottom of his backpack. Once they are hidden, the cursed will forget about the location where they are hidden. He still remembers the nuts and all they were hidden with, but not even a Remove Curse spell will help him to remember where he hid his stash - the memory is just no longer there.

Ring of Adeamosz:
    The wearer of this ring takes less damage from low level spells. Subtract 3/die from 1st level spells, 2/die from 2nd level spells and 1/die from 3rd level spells. Apply this to each die rolled. No die can be reduced below 1, nor is the penalty applied to die bonusus.

Earthcleaver:
    These Dwarven blades are usually large swords (large for a Dwarf, that is), but are also often axes. A blade with this property chops through stone as though it were wood. They can hit any kind of stone object, regardless of any bonus normally required to hit it. Living stone (such as a stone golem, stone elemental or galeb Dur) takes triple damage from an Earthcleaver, but get no other bonus. Against everything else, Earthblights are usually just +1.

Scroll of Protection from Housecats:
    These are made by an elderly priest at the temple of Mystra in Waterdeep. He created them for a friend who had a deadly allergy to his own familiar. Cats can still come near you when you've read from the scroll, but at least you won't have an allergic reaction. The effects last one week.

Poof Potion:
    Anyone can use this one, but thieves get the best effect from it. You just throw it to the ground hard enough to break the clay vial and it explodes in a poof of smoke. This gives you one round to escape while the smoke clears.

Entropy Arrow:
    Non-living targets struck by this arrow are instantly aged 100 years. The DM should determine the exact effect according to the material of the object struck. For example, if blocked by a wooden shield, the wood might rot away, but a copper shield might only be covered in a thick, green patina. If it strikes bare flesh, it does damage as a non-magical flight arrow and can be recovered, but more than likely the target will end up having his shirt turn to rags and come out otherwise unscathed.

Thiefpaper:
    These parchment pages are very hard to remove once they have come in contact with a shoe. They are meant to be left on the floor where they might be stepped on by a thief. They are very noisy. It is impossible to move silently with Thiefpaper stuck to your shoe. Only a Dispel Magic spell cast by a caster with at least 9 spellcaster levels can separate the Thiefpaper from the shoe. It's probably easier to just throw away your shoes, but even removing them will make a fair amount of noise.

Chime Door:
    That's not a typo. It's not a door chime. It's a Chime Door. Strike the door (with hammer, battering ram or even bare knuckles) and it sounds like you've struck the world's largest and loudest chime. Please close the door gently on your way out.

Elven Logbow:
    The Elves of Ardeep have never gone to war without bringing along at least one of these unusual bows. Once an arrow is shot from a Logbow, it grows in flight. It only takes one Elf and a supply of ordinary arrows to operate, but it attacks as a medium ballista in all other respects. They are unlikely to be found anywhere but Ardeep and Evermeet. It works only for full blooded Elves.

Rug of Tripping:
    This is another annoying magic item to leave in the path of would-be burgulars. It is impossible to step onto this rug without catching your foot under the edge. It just can't be done, no matter how you try. A reflex save will keep you from stumbling and falling down. The rug is usually small enough for those in the know to just go around. Elminster once made one that looked like a welcome mat and placed it outside a castle during a siege - dozens of Orcs stumbled around and were easily slaughtered before one thought to just pick it up and toss it in the moat.

Ring of Self Invisibility:
    The wearer of this ring will not be able to see himself, nor any of his equipment. To everyone else, he looks normal.

Anklet of Protection from Filth:
    Nothing will stick to the wearer of this anklet. Dirt falls right off, water rolls off as though the wearer is waxed and not even Sovreign Glue will stick. Spells which do continuing damage because of a lingering residue (such as Melf's Acid Arrow) do damage only the first round. These can't be worn with any other footwear. They are very popular with priestesses of Lliira, Sharess and Sune, who use them to run around barefoot without getting their feet dirty.

Franken Stein:
    This looks like an ordinary beer stein. On the bottom is inscribed the word "franken." This is the stein's command word. Speak the word aloud while holding the stein properly and it will fill with franks and beans. It never fails when used by Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings.

Arrow of Turning:
    Any undead struck by this bright, green arrow is turned as though by a 5th level priest. The arrow can be used again, if you want to chase down the turned undead and retrieve it. There is also a reversed version, which is bright red. This version protects the undead struck from turning attempts by priests of 5th level and below.

Horn of Manatee Summoning:
    This horn looks perfectly ordinary, but when it is sounded, it moos. Any manatees within a mile of the horn are compelled to investigate. The horn does not give any kind of control over manatees, other than to make them come and have a look.

Scrolodex:
    This large, wooden drum can be used to sort out any number of scrolls by whatever system you like. A scroll can be found in it quickly (subtracts 1 from your initiative) by turning a dial on the side. No matter how many or how few scrolls are inside, the scrolodex weighs 50 pounds. It's also too large to fit in most backpacks. Kyristan the Lich King keeps one on a stand beside his throne, Ssaeryl Shadowstar keeps one on her desk and several Waterdhavian ship captains use them to store maps.

Soap of Clensing:
    A bath with this hyssop-scented soap can be used in place of an Attonement spell, but only by a priest. It doesn't work for Paldins. The entire bar of soap is good for only one bath.

Potion of Protection from Nausea:
    This potion provides complete protection from all causes of nausea, whether mundane or magical. You can't get seasick, you won't mind Orcish cooking and a Stinking Cloud smells like fresh air to you. On the other hand, the potion smells so bad that a willpower save must be made in order to drink it.

Edited by - LordXenophon on 21 Sep 2006 20:59:36
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  08:28:58  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

This thread is getting too full of unique, powerful items that no DM could use, or at least could use only one of. Where are all the minor, fun items you could use to litter dungeon floors, fill treasure chests, weigh down the pockets of the Orcs and line the shelves of Waterdeep's pawn shops?

Here are a few little baubles with which to amuse your players:

excellent work!!!!!!! I LOVE this kind of stuff and completely feel the same way about needing more little items.

the following is just some stuff i posted in a thread a while back called "little help :)" by kuje.

"""
Staff of Presence ((staff of the Azuths Image))
Project Image (3charges)
Repulsion (2charges)
Mirror Image
Greater Mage Hand [Spell Compendium]
Sending
CL13th/ functions as +1 ghost touch Quarter Staff
cost: 47,300gp

Staff of Presence: This tall staff is made of a dull metal and bares relatively few designs or patterns. It is topped with a casting of a solid metal hand pointing upward to the sky. While the staff is rather plain it commands a strange attention and the wielder and nearby spellcasters can feel a slight presence in the weave. Studying the staff for any amount of time reveals a slight aura of a blue flame-like glow. The wielder feels more attached to the world at large and becomes more aware of his surroundings and of the weave. Calling upon the powers of the staff reveals is awesome powers.
Project Image- the hand on top unfurls and mimics the gestures of casting the spell. After a brief moment the staff pulses with power and the project image of the caster is expelled from the staff.
Repulsion- approaching creatures feel the strength of the lingering presence increase. It forms a barrier that none but the strong of will could hope to cross. An aura emenating from the staff bars the movement of any object towards the wielder.
Mirror Image- The staff shudders and convulses. The Hand atop the staff (the holy symbol of azuth!) splays its fingers and multiple illusions of teh wielder spring into existence.
greater mage hand- The strength of Azuth's holy symbol grows and exists on many levels. An shimmering force flows seemlessly from the hand and travels forth at the wielders command.
Sending- the wielder can feel his or herself along lines of the weave and the staff pulls these strands closer to those carrying the hums of other creatures. By plucking into what seem like the air, the hand sends your message racing down magical paths towards your target.
The Staff of Presence should be described as plain but commanding of attention. It almost seems to be its own entity (feel free to make it an intelligent Item) and those nearby are subtly aware of more levels of existence, and the weave. The staff might be used to help apprentices first feel the presence of the weave or to aid in magical experiments... if you are using it as a relic of Azuth why not give those nearby (whoa re not hostile to the wielder) +2 divine insight bonus to spellcraft. Maybe this functions in the grasp of one of his servants or priests.

Staff of the Mage's Arena
Antimagic Field (2charges)
Zone of Respite [Spell Compendium]
Anticipate Teleportation [Spell Compendium]
Mirage Arcana
Refusal [Spell Compendium]
CL 12th functions as +1 spellstoring, eager(arms & equipment guide: gives +1 to init. when carried) Quarter Staff.
Cost:77,925gp

This Ornate Staff seems more ceremonial than practical. It is a short staff made of hardwood dripping with enameled diagrams of battlefields and leylines. Its ends both trail of in wisps of gold wire that remain bare like threads on the tattered edge of a tapestry. Holding the staff allows the wielder to experience a strange sensation of connectedness to the immediate environment. The wielder gets the faintest twitch in his palms alerting him to any sudden changes. With battle on the mind the staff seems to be held and carried more easily if it is traced along the patterns which would call out spell effects onto the terrain. The wielder envisions the effects of one of the granted abilities and the enameled diagrams glow in the pattern of the activation trigger. The Gold wires coil and shape themselves into arcane sigils and magical auras and fields spring into existence. When storing a spell the wires grasp like tendrils onto the developing magic and harness the energy into compartments within. When triggering the effect the wires latch on to the target and feed the spell back out into the creatures body.

Lesser Staff of Weaving
Detect Magic (Always active: as 1st round power)
Spell Enhancer [Spell Compendium]
Assay Spell Resistance [Spell Compendium]
Spell Flower [Spell Compendium]
Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer
CL 10th functions as +1 axiomatic, spellstoring, flaming Quarter Staff.
Cost: 82,862.5gp

This staff is one of just a handful replications of a more powerful artifact said to be created by Azuth himself. A small cabal of High priests and Mystic Theurges and Arcane Devotees of Azuth crafted these slender staffs out of strands of fine mithril threads. From a distance the staff appears to be a tangled length of gray cord. Only when grasped does the staf reveal its power. It shapes itself into a a straight length of hard mithril, (like a steel bridge cable). Immediately the wielder can peer (shallowly) into the weave and detect its workings. The staff appears to the weilder as a length of a thick metal wick burning in blue flames. The does fire does not harm the wielder. The staff allows the wielder to acces the weave in a way that alters spells and does not create a spell effect in and of itself.

I made a couple other staves but I dont know if you'd find them useful... (such as: staff of Sorcerous Rays, Staff of Familiar Bond, Staff of Antimagic, Basic Wizard's Staff, and a staff Im working on still that functions similarly to a Rod of Wonder)

If you are looking for an item of more power, then I have one for you:

Staff of the Magister, Mortal Staff of Azuth, Great Staff of the Wizard's Duel!

Spell Enhancer [Spell Compendium]
Symbol of Spell Loss [Spell Compendium]
Duel Ward [Spell Compendium]
Spell Turning (2 charges)
Lesser Globe of Invulnerability
Dispel Magic, Greater
Antimagic Ray [Spell Compendium]
Srinshee's Spell Shifter [Lost Empires of Faerun] (3charges)
"Simbul's" Spell Matrix, Greater [Spell Compendium] (3charges)
Spell Engine [Spell Compendium] (Staff crumbles irreparably to dust after using this ability. Not even a miracle or wish can restore its power)
Special Ability: Retributive Strike as Staff of Power [Dungeon Masters Guide]
CL 19th functions as +2 axiomatic, Spell Storing Full Staff [Arm & Equipment Guide]. As a prerequisite the creator must be able to prepare the spell "Mycontil's Last Resort" (for the Retributive Strike effect, [Shining South]), in addition to the usual craft staff, craft arms & armor and being able to prepare the other spells on the list.
Cost: Major Artifact! (approximate cost 235,023.43gp)

This epic staff appears to be nothing more than a finely carved full staff, made from an exotic and mysterious wood. (The staff, depending on the campaign, could be made of a branch of the Quess'Taranthvar [the nether scrolls of windsong tower] or a magical tree in the gardens of the floating enclaves of netheril.) The top of the staff widens to a gnarled slanted disc-like surface. The Arcane Mark of whoever used the staff last is deeply and beutifully engraved onto that surface. Behind the mark, it appears that the surface is actually in the form of a left hand curled and withered and made out of this eerie wood. After peering into the top of the staff a charcter would notice that the whole staff seems to be a desiccated wooden arm disguised by fine carving and faint gold leafing over some more elgeant curves. This staff is a fullstaff and is extremely large! In fact some mages might not be able to wield it even if they overcame the imposing presence of the artifact.
"""

the following from here in is a staff i created as part of a thread called "slender threads (a campaign journal)" by me!

"""
Staff of Siluvanede
This heavy staff is made out of the carved thick branch of a Blue Leaf tree. The natural growths in the piece are worked into a masterful carving of historic figures, prominent during the time of the Siluvanedenn kingdom. However none of the artistry is clearly shown- for the staff is coated in a thick layer of gold. Regal elven forms are distorted under the metal coating, appearing gnarled and disfigured... even slightly demonic.
The interior wood, under divination, seems to be millenia old. In fact the wooden staff belonged to a High Mage in ancient times. Centuries maybe millenia later the staff, drained of charges, was coated in a ghastly way. The carnal decadence of the gold was infused with infernal power. The staff is recharged or perhaps charged with a different power for the abilities it contains are awful indeed.

Abilities:
Body of the Sun (SC)
Miser's Envy (SC)
Fiendform (SC)
Soul's Treasure Lost (BOVD) [3 charges]
Nar Fiendbond (LEoF) [3 charges, maximum 2HD target only][b]

Special: If held by a Gold Elf with at least 1 arcane caster level, the maximum HD of the target of Nar Fiendbond is 4. If the wielder is equipped with a 'Golden Orb of Siluvanede' and uses the Nar Fiendbond ability s/he can opt to expend the orb's power for that day and reduce the charge cost by 1. A wielder targeting a creature with up to half of the maximum, need only pay 2 charges to affect the Nar Fiendbond.
Boring examples: a Sun Elf male fighter5/wiz1 can use the staff's Nar fiendbond ability on a Moon Elf female exp2. This use drains 1 charge (2charges for the normal 1/2HD target and -1 for sun elf arcane caster lvl.) The same staff ability later used by a male Moon Elf rog9 with a successful use magic device check on a locathah (2HD) drains 3 charges. The same staff ability later used by a male Moon Elf Wiz10 in possession of a Golden Orb of Siluvanede on a poor little dwarf female com1 drains 1 charge (2charges normal and -1 for using up the Orb's daily ability).

The original staves within were recycled after they failed to protect Siluvanede from the wrath of Shaarven and Eaerlann. These staves were coated with this precious material and left as an awful trap for the Moon Elves to find in their ruins. Each staff was re-enchanted with foul magic of corruption. One such staff was uncovered immediately after the Seven Citadel's war and after being used experimentally with disastrous consequences the elves never touched the staff again, locking it deep with secret vaults. Only thrice since have these staves been uncovered and mostly by innocent adventurers too. Reportedly the gold melts away in a gruesome pattern as charges are used up eventually dripping away into nothingness and exposing the true history of the Siluvanedenn kingdom engraved along the shaft of the wood.
The last staff to be found was picked up by a band of humans. After nearly killing each other over greed and lust for each other's treasure, they were approached by a mysterious Baelnorn who wanted to study the valuable lore carved into the original staff. Unfortunately that could only be found after the sinister properties of the staff had been activated.

Market Price: 155,089gp or Cost to Create: CL 15th, Craft Staff, spells; Body of the Sun, Miser's Envy, Fiendform, Soul's Treasure Lost, Nar Fiendbond. 48,379gp and 19,202xp. Caster must be a Sun Elf with any evil alignment and at least either 4 ranks in knowledge local: the High Forest or 8 ranks in knowledge history.
Strong Transmutation CL15th.
"""

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  19:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
based on the post above by lord xenophon-

chime of doors. this chime set is made up of a cluster of flat sheets of metal. when struck in certain orders the metal plates spin and twirl faster and faster until they become a whirlwind of glinting metal scraps, all the while pounding out frantic tones at a somehow beautifully rushed pace. At the height of the frenzy one of the pieces (depending on the original tunes played) shifts into a prominent position and grows to the size of a door. The metal doors are all scratched, dented and scorched from the previous attempts to open them. Despite these efforts none have succeeded. While divinations reveal the chimes to be created by Danchilaer the Mad (of Dapplegate), one can only speculate as to where they lead. A lone wizard (long since passed away) in the early 1300's dr told a tale of his abduction by Danchilaer. He explained how he was brought to the cellars of the Mad Mage's tower and subjected to bizarre tests. This lowly wizard chanced upon the chimes as they (via adventurers, robbers, and danchilaer himself) made their way across faerun. He claims that after activating the magic the doors, which he goes on to say are replicas of those in Danchilaer's cellars, they lead to a realm of horrors beyond his capability to express. The doors he described resonate when struck- much like a chime door described by Lordxenophon.

Nuts of Forgetfullness- these nuts are much more sinister than they appear. Not only do they find themselves added to a previous stash, but they somehow act as sensors or beacons for divination magics. If only it was known who is the one watching through these eyes.
One hypothesis, pointed out by Vaeros Fireshield (Gildenfire) only to other high ranking members of the 11th Circle in the Church of Mielikki and to Turlang himself is; that the Arakhor, the Granfather Tree of the High Forest, might have spawned these seeds in order to spy upon the many hoards of the Realms. Aerosclughpalar, the gold dragon is not sure what purpose this would serve but Turlang has the faintest perception that the ancient protector is possibly trying to reclaim an artifact that once rested in the ruins sealed deep beneath its roots. That artifact could be the Golden Skins of the World Serpent (a.k.a. the Nether Scrolls).

The Court Drum of Qawarciano- This dark drum is made from a shell of some mysterious underdark creature. Coated in intricate magical patterns carved deeply into the stone-like cannister, this drum looks more impressive than it functions. Any parchment or page layed over the drum can be absorbed by laying it out and striking it in certain rythyms. It was originally created by a Gloura who was slave musician to an early deep imaskari wizard, Qawarciano Mankanrallyn. The gloura used it to store sheets of music and later plans to escape to freedom but the ambitious and untrusting wizard learned of the plot and stole the drum, reformatting it to fit his purposes. It has seen a variety of uses over the ages such as; a scroll vessel to a bard's college, a flashy display case and store of the works of a prominent tanner and most recently to organize documents of state and notes of ceremony in the Enactor's Courtyard. Recycled through the generations of Deep Imaskari wizards the Court Drum of Qawarciano is seen as a historic artifact and symbol of cultural pride, which in the end is ironic because of its construction by a Gloura slave.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 12 Oct 2006 02:04:17
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  01:21:47  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Memory Crystals:
These are a modified psicrystal contruct that was created origionally during the Jhaamdath empire. These simple crystals once bonded by spending one power point, and thus bonding the crystal to the user, usually the forehead. Once bonded the memory crystal simply records all the things the wearer hears, sees, feels, and thinks. The Crystal stores this perminatly making it the ultimate recall device for the user. A wearer of a memory crystal can instantly recall any detail of his enviroment, as long as he was wearing the crystal, and had it activated. The Memory crystal needs to be either in constant contact with the wearer, or have one powerpoint of psyche energy per day to continue recording or use any of its features. These memory crystals were extremely helpful for wills, and as witnesses of events in Jhaamdath society.
To create a MemoryCrystal you have to have: Psi Crystal Affinity, a gem or crystal valued at 500gp, and the call to mind psionic power, + 100xp. Many other powers can be added to these crystals to give each a unique feel, however the basic memory crystals were used so much that most people didn't bother deviating from the design.

Edited by - VonRaventheDaring on 13 Oct 2006 17:28:33
Go to Top of Page

Mythrainer
Acolyte

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  18:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Mythrainer's Homepage Send Mythrainer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of magic items from my campaign. Not sure of the XP/GP cost or caster level required as these are left over from way back (been playing over 20 years). If anyone likes them or wants more then let me know cuz I have reams of this kind of filler stuff.

These items are from Ancient Netheril (which is a central theme in my longest/still -running campaign; going on these past 18 years).

Band of Striking

An ornamental silver band that adjusts to fit onto the upper arm of any medium-sized humanoid. Almost any Band of Striking found will be adorned with the House or Enclave Sigils of the city where the Band was crafted as they were almost exclusively worn by bodyguards of powerful arcanists or archwizards of Netheril.

Upon the expenditure of a charge, any weapon held in the hand of the ‘banded’ arm will gain a +3 to hit and damage for the round the charge was expended (expenditure of the charge considered a ‘free’ action.

DM's NOTE: These items were traditionally crafted without any kind of 'everbright' or similar enchantment. The warriors who wore them considered an awfully tarnished Band of Striking a mark of distinction attesting to how long they had remained, unslain, in the service of a particular arcanist/archwizard. When gifted such a Band the warrior polished it to mirror-sheen once only and thereafter never attended to its physical appearance ever again.

This item will allow the wearer to strike magical creatures protected by damage resistance (up to +3) when its powers are in effect. When found the Band of Striking will typically have 2d4 charges. Maximum at time of creation is 20 charges.

Gauntlet of Shielding

These gauntlets of ancient Netheril may be worn by any class, although they were, mostly, only worn by wizards and, except for rare instances, created by wizards as part of their training (resulting in many flawed and useless specimens that can still be found throughout the Realms today).

Usually created from silken and mithril or adamantine threads (1 mithril/adamantine per 7 silken threads), these gauntlets magically alter in size to fit the hand of any medium-sized humanoid. The Gauntlets actually wear like gloves and are only called Gauntlets because "gauntlet" sounded far more mighty to the egotistical Netherese wizards than "glove."

While wearing the gauntlet, the wearer may handle sharp objects and pass through hot or cold of enormous or miniscule temperatures without damaging the protected hand.

The gauntlets protect the wearer (AC-wise) as if he/she were carrying a tower shield (but ignoring the maximum dex bonus, spell failure %, and Armor Check Penalty of a tower shield).

Also, as a free action, the Gauntlet may “parry” any one physical/weapon attack (ranged or melee) in a round 3x/day. This “parry” does not interfere with spell casting or any other actions the wielder may be taking; the attack simply glances aside at the last moment. In order for this to be successful the wearer of the gauntlet must roll equal to or greater than the “to-hit” roll of the attacker using his own base attack bonus coupled with his Intelligence bonus (wizard) or Charisma bonus (sorcerer).

These Gauntlets were a matter of pride for Netherese Arcanists and were cherished, in a very sentimental way, by their owners as they were usually the first items of power crafted by an arcanist in his studies. Because of this "attachment" many Gauntlets found today in the Realms have lingering spell-traps or other effects (some bad and some good)that might be awakened when donned by an unsuspecting adventurer.

-Mythrainer
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  00:51:19  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*looks left*
*looks right*
Hello there I've been lurking for quite a while now (mainly because my own knowledge of Realmslore is woefully inadequate to intelligently reply to most questions), but this thread seemed to present a good opportunity to give something back. In that spirit, I present this handy little device for the thaumaturge who never wants to be caught unprepared:

Rod of Metamagic Switcheroo

This rod functions only for spellcasters who prepare spells. The wielder of this rod may cast any spell that has been prepared with a particular metamagic feat as if it had instead been prepared with any one other metamagic feat the caster possesses of equal or lesser spell slot adjustment. The spell slot of the converted spell remains the same as when it was prepared. For a spell prepared with multiple metamagic feats, the rod’s power may only be applied to one such feat, and the feat that it is converted to may not be the same as a feat already applied to the spell.

Strong (no school); CL 17; any two metamagic feats; Price 19,000gp
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:19:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a nifty idea... And I love your user name!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  23:58:45  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I return, this time bearing a rather unusual spell, which might just share a lineage with that silly rod I donated some weeks ago...

Dulang’s Remorseful Recoupment
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 touched magic item of the caster’s creation
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Originally developed by the mage Dulang, an artificer known more for his prolific output than for the quality or usefulness of his creations, this spell was a result of the pangs of good sense that frequently struck him upon completing yet another of his novel, ingenious – yet only marginally useful – creations. With this new dweomer mastered, he was able to maintain his reservoir of personal energy, and continue his fanciful manufacturing for years to come (it is speculated that one item which survived the quality-control process and made its way into public circulation was the overly-complicated Rod of Metamagic Switcheroo… ).

This spell allows the caster to reclaim the XP expended in crafting a magic item, eliminating the item’s magical powers in the process. The caster simply touches the item while casting this spell, and all XP spent in crafting it are added to the caster’s total, while the item itself is affected as if by Mordenkainen’s Disjunction. Note that the caster can only reclaim XP from items he or she personally crafted.
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  20:27:58  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is an assortment of magical trinkets you might find on law enforcement professionals throughought the realms. They range from little baubles carried by ordinary members of the watch to holy relics of the clergy of Tyr.

AMULET OF INSOMNIA
When this piece of jewelry is worn, the wearer must make a willpower save to get any sleep. Most of these can be removed at will, making it useful to someone who does not want to sleep (eg. a guard on duty), but 10% cannot be removed without Remove Curse. The amulet does not provide any protection from the effects of not sleeping.

AMULET OF VERACITY
This device takes the form of a silver or mythril holy symbol, usually
of Tyr or some other LG or LN god of justice. Whenever the wearer speaks, the amulet glows either the red of a Faerie Fire for truth, or the blue of a Bluelight for falsehood. Ambiguities may activate both spells or neither. The best made amulets glow pale blue for half-truths. The lights reveal truth or falsehood only as the wearer is aware of it, and will always glow red if the wearer makes any statement about which he knows nothing, even if he happens to be right.

GAVEL OF SILENCE
When any wooden surface is struck with this gavel three times, it creates silence in a 50' radius, for 3 turns. It typically has 2d10 charges when found. It's usable by any class. Don't try to arrest a wizard without one.

COWARDLY KEY
If the password is not spoken by someone trying to use this key, it complains until taken at least 3" from the lock ("No! I won't go in there! help!). It will also squirm violently in the user's hand, making it impossible to insert into the lock. Most keys to handcuffs and prison cells on Lantan are enchanted this way.

DIME OF A DOZEN
This small, silver coin is part of a set of twelve. Anyone holding one of the coins and concentrating can learn the general whereabouts and welfare of the owners of the other 11. They are used mainly by small groups of solders who must patrol dangerous areas where they won't be able to see each other all the time, such as slums, sewers and orchards.

HELM OF AWARENESS
Originally, a Helm of Awareness was made for an incompetent prison guard who couldn't be fired; he was the King's cousin. So the warden commissioned this item privately and was delighted to find how effective it was. The king was likewise delighted and hired the enchanter to create similar items for the night detail of the City Guard. Physically, the helm provides a +2 bonus to defense (protecting the head only). When first buckled on, the helm makes the wearer's eyes tingle. The feeling quickly passes, but the wearer finds his peripheral vision greatly enhanced. The wearer will also notice that he is much more alert to small sounds and sights (+3 to all related checks), improving his sensitivity to things going on around him.

SPOTGUN
This rod is about 2' long with sights and a crossbow stock. When the rod is pointed at a victim and a stud is thumbed, a glowing green spot appears on the target, who is now traceable as per Wizard Mark. The spot is visible to anyone who can cast wizard spells, but is otherwise treated as a Wizard Mark. The rod itself can be used by anyone. This item can hold only 8 charges.

MYRA'S BOW OF SPELL STORING
Myra, a Drow necromancer living in Waterdeep, made many of these bows. They are made from black teak, have mythril strings, and each has a ruby on one side and a bloodstone on the other, both just above the grip. Below the grip, each bow bears Myra's sigil on one side, and the craft mark of Idaya Trueshaft (the artisan who crafted the bows themselves) on the other. The ruby can be used to store up to 20 Flame Arrow spells and cast them on arrows shot from the bow. The bloodstone can hold up to 20 Melf's Acid Arrow spells, and these can be used to turn an arrow shot from the bow into an Acid Arrow, which deals its normal amount of damage +1, all of it acid damage. The Watch issues one of these bows to each squad patrolling the City of the Dead.

SHADOW PIN
This is an arrow which seems to be made entirely of shadow, even though it's really quite solid. That is because it is made entirely from material from the plane of shadow and still has a strong affinity for that plane. If the arrow is shot directly at a target, it causes only 1d6 damage. If used to shoot a person's shadow, it causes an extra +2 damage. If the arrow can hold fast to the area on which the shadow was cast (because it is wood, dirt, or so forth, rather than bricks or steel) the target will not be able to move his body in any way that will cause the part of the shadow that was pinned to move off of the arrow. This not only effectively stops the target from leaving, but all rolls to do anything physical are at -5, including an Escape Artist check to attempt to pull the arrow from the ground. (If these arrows are pinning the arms of the target's shadow, self extraction is impossible).

VIGILANT PURSE
This is a common defense against pickpockets. The standard model curses at pickpockets when touched, although very few are designed to use profane language. Less common models yell "Stop! Thief!" or make a noise like an alarm. Transference of ownership requires a short ritual in which both the previous owner and the new owner must participate.

HOLY SWORD OF VERACITY +4
This holy sword will function as a Sword +2 for anyone other than a paladin of Tyr, for whom it functions as a Holy Sword +4. In addition, the user (whether paladin or not) is unable to tell a lie, half-truth, creative exaggeration, or anything else other than the complete and honest truth, as long as the sword is carried (even in a pack, Bag of Holding, or even a Portable Hole). Paladins of Tyr will also gain the ability to cast True Seeing 5 times a day, and they can detect lies by simply making WIS rolls at +3 above his normal WIS bonus, with the target's CHA as the DC, as long as the blade is unsheathed. (The garget does not get any feat bonuses, saves or skill checks to improve his resistance to lie detection.) The sword will also automatically dispel any illusion it touches, if it was created by a spell of 6th level or less. Higher level illusions resist as if being dispelled by a wizard of 20th level.

WEIGHT OF GUILT
Judges sometimes ask the accused to lift this small weight as a test of conscience, though reliance on this weight is risky. It simply tests the weight of guilt on the conscience of the person attempting to lift it. The guiltier he feels, the heavier the weight will be. This does not nescecarily indicate whether or not the accused is guilty of the crime in question, however. A criminal who feels entirely justified in what he has doen will be able to easily lift the wieght, while a completely innocent person might feel guilty enough about appearing in court instead of going to lunch with his mother that he might not be able to lift the weight at all. Wise judges use this test only to tell the truly penitent from good actors.

MAGE MANACLES
Simply put, it is impossible to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability while wearing these cuffs, whether they properly bind the hands or not. It is still possible to use magical items, however. Each pair can be unlocked only with the key it was created with, or by a priest of Tyr, Helm or Ilmater.

DUST OF FOOTPRINTS
When this dust is sprinkled on any surface, visible footprints are revealed to all. The more dust is sprinkled, the older the footprints that will appear. Just a pinch will reveal all places a foot has fallen in the last few minutes. A handfull is enough to reveal every footfall in the last 24 hours throughout a small house.

RIBBON OF CONTAINMENT
This material is made in 100 foot rolls. The words "WATCH LINE - DO NOT CROSS" are printed over and over in common runes along the entire length. A length can be stretched across a doorway, run along a fence, or even wrapped around posts to contain a courtyard. Once the end has been cut and the command word spoken, only those named by the person who cut the ribbon can cross the line. The cut must be made even if the entire length is used (trimming an inch off the end is enough). Those permitted to cross can bring others across by touching them.

THE THRONE OF GAROTHET-THOTH
This throne rests in a courtroom in Tamor, where it is used by the city's highest judge. The throne's only effect is to raise the WIS score of anyone sitting in it by 6.

MANA DEAD PRISON CELL
Technically, this is really the opposite of a magic item, but it is created by magical means. The prison cell is simply cut off from the magical weave of the universe. Magic simply does not work in there. These cells are rare, because Weavespinners begin to slowly shrink the magic-dead areas as soon as they find them. This process takes decades, so if you get stuck in a mana dead cell, there is a good chance you might be able to reach the weave by carefully exploring the edges of the cell. For this reason, wizards kept in these cells are usually also chained down, to keep them from reaching out of the cell to touch the weave.

Edited by - LordXenophon on 04 Feb 2007 20:34:15
Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  00:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those mage manacles are too powerful.

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  01:30:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Weiser_Cain

Those mage manacles are too powerful.

Without crafting costs it becomes very hard to say they are two powerful. Inbue with anti-magic field takes away any posible spell or spell-like ability (excepting Extraordinary Abilities) as far as only one key the Break DC and Pick Lock DC, etc. certainly can be set in high Epic levels if a price is paid. There are also perhaps magical key of some kind that ignores anti-magic (again if one is able and willing to pay the price).

I indeed would say these are too powerful if the average level 3 War has ready access to them.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  21:26:18  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, they're not too powerful.

For one thing, they don't stop you from using magic items. There's no reason you can't use a wand with your hands bound, especially if they're bound in front of you. If you have an item than can open anything, you can use it while wearing the cuffs.

There are plenty of work-arounds for items such as these, too. What do you think would happen if someone were bound with these cuffs and thrown in the mana-dead cell? The cuffs would stop working! You could also get a disenchanter to lick them, escape to a mana-dead area you already know about, dip them in Oil of Disenchantment, Wish them off, etc. Since they aren't artifacts, their protections are not inviolable. Whether they can be broken is up to the DM, but it shouldn't be as hard as picking the lock.

Also look at which priests can unlock them without the key - Ilmater is the god of (among other things) mercy.

Finally, it's not likely the key will be far from the cuffs.

The cuffs were never really meant to become common magic items. In my own campaign, you can only find them in Tantras and only a few pairs were ever made. Mana dead prison cells are far more common.

Edited by - LordXenophon on 08 Feb 2007 21:35:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000