Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Obould chosen of Grumussh (sp?)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  12:10:46  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Doe anybody have any idea of Obulds stat, Gear (Besides his +!Flaming greatsword.) or Chosen one ablilities?

He seem to be alot tougher than he was originally so im adding 10/1 dag reduction
He seem much stronger and swifter so +4 str and +4 Dex (Bull str & cat grace)
He also seems alot smarter so + 6 intl (at least)

- 10/1 damage reduction
- +4 Str
- +4 Dex
- +6 Intel

Is this even close? doe anybody know? If so post here.

(All stats are risen from his base stats in Fr capaingn(sp?) setting)

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  12:41:15  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He is discribed in the forgotten realms campaign setting page 175, as a Barbarian level 5/fighter level 4

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Dreamstalker
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  17:46:12  Show Profile Send Dreamstalker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say those stats represent his capabilities before he managed to pull together this recent campaign. During the course of the of his gaining more widespread leadership, gaining allies among other races, and leading this battle onward I would place him around 14th to 17th level. Obould is a warrior on par with Drizzt now. My suggestion would either be to apply one of the two Gruumsh classes. One was in Sword and Fist and the other in a Dragon Magazine issue.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  21:19:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has never been definatively stated that Obould is the Chosen of Gruumsh. In fact, all through the books, Obould seems to kind of find the idea that "Obould is Gruumsh" kind of amusing and something that he could exploit. Yes, he did receive some kind of burst to his faculties and physical abilities, but who knows if it really was Gruumsh getting involved.

I only say this because of preceedence in RAS novels. The only god that has ever really directly intervened in RAS's books has been Lolth, and that was during the Time of Troubles. I doubt it will be definitively answers, especially considering some of the interviews that I have heard of RAS's that seems to indicate that he doesn't really want to answer if he is or isn't. Of course, when The Orc King comes out, we'll likely get something more to speculate on.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  00:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

It has never been definatively stated that Obould is the Chosen of Gruumsh.

Seconded. So far, we probably have to assume that Obould's stats are still the ones in the FRCS, or close to them--the FRCS actually takes place later in the timeline than the recent Drizzt trilogy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 23 Jan 2007 00:19:08
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  09:17:21  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Seconded. So far, we probably have to assume that Obould's stats are still the ones in the FRCS, or close to them--the FRCS actually takes place later in the timeline than the recent Drizzt trilogy.

Well, this may be right but we cannot set aside, IIRC, that RAS has a tendency to write not in line with other canon products. So in that light it really could mean anything ........ and nothing at all............

Just my thoughts here.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  11:54:56  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

But also you must admidt that the Frc was written many years ago well before Ra began the hunters blades triligy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  23:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grandmaster Kane

quote:

quote:

But also you must admidt that the Frc was written many years ago well before Ra began the hunters blades triligy

So what?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  09:28:30  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, Salvatore doesn't follow the stat sheets when writing as far as I know.
We can be fairly certain that it was Gruumsh because of how straightforward the ceremony was. Obould may find the near worship of him as Gruumsh amusing but he is in fact now working for the benefit of all his Orcs instead of his personal gain and revenge. I think that alone is proof that this is Gruumsh's influence and not some random demon playing games.

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  11:33:02  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may be Gruumsh influence. Heck, by extention if his divine caster worked the spell, its essentially his influence. I just get tired of everyone that a god singles out as special or grants a boon to as being a "Chosen." To me a Chosen is a special title, and requires something of the Chosen as well as from the god. Obould pretty much wants to be an orc king, and some of his non-orcish ideas are actually rather anti-Gruumsh in his reasoning (establishing a stable kindgom that might actually foster trade and diplomatic relations with other nations).

Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  11:40:04  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well they got rid of all the other titles so anyone that get's a special power from a god is considered chosen... well except for Halisstra.

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  12:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol ^

Having sex with your god is the ultimate sign of being chosen (as in the case of Elminster)
so i would hate to see gruumsh and obould coupling *barfs in a corner*

I think they chould created an up to date Core rule book dictating the stat gains you get from being the chosen one of each specific god (bane and mystra which are in Frc could also be included) an have current chosen ones (epic or otherwise) included compendium style
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  12:30:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think they chould created an up to date Core rule book dictating the stat gains you get from being the chosen one of each specific god (bane and mystra which are in Frc could also be included) an have current chosen ones (epic or otherwise) included compendium style

Oh gods, no. We've got way too many "Chosen" as it is. The last thing we need to do is provide a mechanic for creating more of them... Besides, most deities don't have any read need for a chosen.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  12:45:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Oh gods, no. We've got way too many "Chosen" as it is. The last thing we need to do is provide a mechanic for creating more of them... Besides, most deities don't have any read need for a chosen.

Indeed.

It's bad enough that nearly every major deity seems to have some form of Chosen in 3e. Gone are the days when Mystra's Chosen represented the only unique beings in FR with special abilities granted to them by a deity for a specific reason.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Jan 2007 12:46:48
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  12:53:41  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
We've got way too many "Chosen" as it is. Besides, most deities don't have any read need for a chosen.

Hear! Hear!

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  13:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lol ^

Having sex with your god is the ultimate sign of being chosen (as in the case of Elminster)

I frown on the idea of gods that don't have sex in their portfolio having sex with a mortal and I frown on sex gods in general. I'd like to think the gods are beyond that.

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  14:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Weiser_Cain

quote:

Lol ^

I frown on the idea of gods that don't have sex in their portfolio having sex with a mortal and I frown on sex gods in general. I'd like to think the gods are beyond that.

Apperently gods need sex to (Read the elminster series)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  14:10:49  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by The Sage.
It's bad enough that nearly every major deity seems to have some form of Chosen in 3e. Gone are the days when Mystra's Chosen represented the only unique beings in FR with special abilities granted to them by a deity for a specific reason

I agree, and I personally still miss these days dearly. The gods arms-race is one of the things with the 3ed. that bothered me the most. That and the map changing of course.

As for the gods having sex with mortals part. As this is a common happening in most mythologies I have no problem with this.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  15:06:58  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the idea of gods and mortals getting frisky. It does depend on the deity, of course.

With my main player character, Kiaransalee visits his dreams on a regular basis and makes her apparent charms and talents quite clear. Unfortunately, my character castrated himself as an act of devotion to her and in order to be accepted to her clergy. (She said she didn't accept males, so he decided to disqualify himself as a male.) Still, it serves him right for worshipping an evil diety.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  17:19:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

As for the gods having sex with mortals part. As this is a common happening in most mythologies I have no problem with this.

Indeed. Especially certain deities like Zeus... As godchecker.com says about him:

quote:
ZEUS is married to the long-suffering HERA, but spends most of his time lusting after Goddesses, mortals, animals, and indeed anything that will keep still long enough.

While that is an extreme example, I don't have a problem with a deity having sex with a mortal -- within reason. I wouldn't expect an avatar of Torm to pop into Suzail for a quickie, but I can see some high-powered, insanely special ritual of Sune's clergy involving some quality time with an avatar of the goddess.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  19:22:49  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least with the system of avatars, where the gods take a mortal shape of sorts, there would logically be physical relationships between mortals and some gods. From explaining strange powers to "epic" campaigns a la Gilgamesh, such happening can be used in many ways in a campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  20:12:53  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine an avartar of Sune rewarding one of her priests for succending a important quest for her, now that would be a reward^^

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  11:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im more of a shar man myself but sune is nothing to scoff at
Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  12:52:26  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*withdraws in disgust*

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  13:10:28  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Weiser_Cain

*withdraws in disgust*

That's a shame.

My understanding of your point of view was that you disapprove of deities succumbing to mortal urges. Personally, I think deities are above such things but may use sex to advance their portfolio. (Zeus' actions could be explained as him taking his role as father of the gods a bit too literally.) In my campaigns, Kiaransalee torments her worshipper because she is evil.

As regards sex gods in general, I think the sex drive in most mortals is so strong and at times so unfathomable that many would need to call on a higher power to help them understand it.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  23:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it partly depends on what the word "god" means to a person.

If one believes that gods are all-powerful, all-knowing, beyond the comprehension of mankind, they (most likely) wouldn't feel the drive to reproduce or even have sex for pleasure the way humans and other animals do.

However, if one believes that the gods are much more anthropomorphic than that, possess human feelings, needs, and desires (and are therefore imperfect and not all-powerful), and are interested in the affairs of mortals, there's no reason why they should be somehow beyond the things that mortals do. As it so happens, this is what the deities of Faerun are supposed to be like.

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  09:19:29  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it partly depends on what the word "god" means to a person.

That's a nice reply.

I wonder if there is a link between a deity and their avatar/s here? Maybe the higher in divine rank a deity is, the less removed they are from mortal feelings, emotions and motivations. Maybe a deity itself doesn't make love but its avatar does?

In the real world, some catholics identify more strongly with saints then with their god. Maybe this is the role of a specific pantheon's demi-gods or avatars in Faerūn, they're nearer to the mortal realm and have a greater empathy.

I'll see if I can give my ideas more clarity. For example, the goddess Chauntea is concerned with agriculture in general and with summer. Maybe her avatars are concerned with specific regions (for example, areas that are said to be sacred to her), specific crops or with the finer details. Obviously, at the lowest level she has her clerics.

I'm sure someone has articulated this much better and much earlier than me. Also we've moved away somewhat from the original question raised in this scroll.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  17:38:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, avatars are part of the deity because if you, as a mortal, saw the real deity, it would drive you insane, or you would fall in love with it for the rest of your life, etc, because of the vast amounts of power that deities have. So, deities create lesser versions of themselves (i.e. avatars) to interact with mortals.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  22:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

That's a nice reply.

Thank you.

quote:
I wonder if there is a link between a deity and their avatar/s here? Maybe the higher in divine rank a deity is, the less removed they are from mortal feelings, emotions and motivations.

Actually, the higher in rank they are, the more removed from humanity they tend to be.

quote:
In the real world, some catholics identify more strongly with saints then with their god. Maybe this is the role of a specific pantheon's demi-gods or avatars in Faerūn, they're nearer to the mortal realm and have a greater empathy.

It has indeed been argued that the Catholic saints fulfill a similar role for some Christians in the way the pagan gods used to--much like true *gods* of other religions, the saints have specific areas of interest and are believed to take an interest in the affairs of mortals, as well as being inclined to intercede on their behalf.

At any rate I agree with Kuje's answer...heck, even when I was growing up I was told that one couldn't actually *see* God without dying as well, so I don't see why something similar couldn't apply in Faerun.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 26 Jan 2007 23:14:03
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  21:35:30  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in Faerun, I imagine a god in itself as a bodiless being in the prime material who to interact directly with mortals compress some of their divine power into a powerful form, its avartar

I imagine the avartar as the (weaker) form the gods would have if the martals could see them in their divine form, on their level of existance and power

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me

Edited by - Aureus on 29 Jan 2007 14:35:02
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  12:58:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is there any new update to Obould's possible stats at this point??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000