Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Terminology
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  01:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
With the upcoming 4th edition version of the Realms, which differs significantly from the pre-existing realms in time period, setting, and general tone there will be a confusion of terms as people attempt to distinguish which version of the Realms they are discussing.

So, in order to reduce confusion I would like to suggest a term I've seen used by a few people around here to denote the 4E realms; the "Shattered Realms".

Of course, others will have their preferred terms so if people think they've got a better name please post them for discussion.

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  02:10:00  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, I think you've opened a can of worms here. I imagine you're going to get some colorful responses.

Let me open the bidding with McRealms
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  02:23:24  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny, Afet!

I vote for classic Realms for pre-plague. I saw it posted in a thread somewhere; it's not my creation. But it's sufficiently respectful and descriptive....

It's not as nifty as McRealms or descriptive as ShatteredRealms, but I can live with New Realms or Realms08.

Edited by - monknwildcat on 04 May 2008 02:26:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  02:28:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about:- 'Marvel WotC Comics Presents:- What If: The Spellplague actually happened in the Forgotten Realms?'

It'd be great. Alaundo would make a pretty convincing Uatu.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  03:28:31  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can support Classic Realms for the pre-4th edition Realms, along with the aforementioned Shattered Realms. There's also the occasionally mentioned Arcane Age and Age of Worms. Really, it isn't any more than how there is a role of years. Naming the eras of the game fits perfectly in with that mindset.

I should be clear, I'm not fishing for 4th edition bashing names, etc but a common term everyone can use to be clear what version/era they are talking about.

Edited by - Caedwyr on 04 May 2008 03:32:19
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  03:36:47  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caedwyr
I should be clear, I'm not fishing for 4th edition bashing names, etc but a common term everyone can use to be clear what version/era they are talking about.

Sorry, Caedwyr. I know you were being serious, but I couldn't resist.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  06:28:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the person who coined the term Shattered Realms, I think it's obvious how I prefer to refer to 4E FR.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 May 2008 06:33:13
Go to Top of Page

LordArcana
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  13:02:21  Show Profile  Visit LordArcana's Homepage Send LordArcana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This reminds me greatly of the Highlander movies....How in my mind the 3rd movie (according to the producers and people on the staff who claim it was made and related to the other movies) was never made. Just like the FR...they simply were never made. Thats my story and i am sticking to it!
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  14:01:30  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe and "Ruined Realms" will do well !! Or the world of the two R (2xR) !!!!!!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  17:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't we call it FubaRealms?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  19:22:04  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm for "Shattered Realms" as well.
"Classic Realms" sounds good for naming the pre-4e era.

Another thought: What about "Ed's Realms" for everything until the advent of 3e? On the other side: "Ed's Realms" is more fitting for his home campaign, I guess.

Or we leave out any judgemental notions and just call it FR2, FR3 and FR4.
*thinks a while about the idea*
...nah, let's go for "Shattered" - it earned that name just too well, from all we heard.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  01:20:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about acknowledging the different eras of gameplay in the Realms as being related components of the "One" campaign setting? Something like, 1e/2e being "the Realms that was," 3e being "the Realms that is," and 4e FR being "the Realms that will be."

-- The Sage, who admits he did watch too much Babylon 5 over the weekend.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  01:35:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

How about acknowledging the different eras of gameplay in the Realms as being related components of the "One" campaign setting? Something like, 1e/2e being "the Realms that was," 3e being "the Realms that is," and 4e FR being "the Realms that will be."

Too wordy.

I'm all for "Classic Realms" for the pre-plague Realms. I'm all for "Shattered Realms" for the post-plague Realms. Of course, the first term could arguably be called biased, and second term pejorative (and biased).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 May 2008 01:37:11
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  01:53:06  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to call the pre-2008 Forgotten Realms anything except 'the Realms'.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  02:47:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

-- The Sage, who admits he did watch too much Babylon 5 over the weekend.

Coincidentally, one of the jokes mailing lists I'm on included in today's email a quote from Zathras from that same episode (one of the best in the entire run of the series, IMO). "Yes, yes, Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But at least there is symmetry. Go, go, Zathras take care."

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 May 2008 02:48:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  02:50:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I'm not going to call the pre-2008 Forgotten Realms anything except 'the Realms'.

Ditto.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  03:09:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed. As it is, 'the Realms,' is "my" Realms.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 May 2008 03:10:56
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  03:52:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not a bad idea.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 May 2008 03:53:56
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  04:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Call me too much of a Firefly geek, but "Realms-that-were" popped to mind when reading this thread.

Then again, Wooly and Sage make me want to say that Lhaeo was the original Zathras of the Realms.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  07:06:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Would that make Elminster the Custodian of the Great Machine?

And speaking of Firefly, I'd recommend all fans pick up the Serenity: Better Days mini-series currently being published by Dark Horse. It's a great step back into the "Show-that-was."

Edited by - The Sage on 05 May 2008 07:07:27
Go to Top of Page

Athairgi_the_Child-Eater
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  15:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Athairgi_the_Child-Eater's Homepage Send Athairgi_the_Child-Eater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'The Realms' is a great name for editions 1, 2, and 3...

As for the $th edition of the Forgotten Realms... I agree with Hammerhand the Rantmaster. 'FUBARealms' suits that ravaged abomination perfectly.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  16:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been calling it just 4e FR: the quickest, most efficient appellation--at least for me.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  17:51:51  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm for calling 4e the Shattered Realms, it fits in a number of ways.

However wasn't that the name of a video game set in Dark Sun? =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  22:45:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I've been calling it just 4e FR: the quickest, most efficient appellation--at least for me.

Cheers

It is certainly to the point.

Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  23:08:04  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4e FR is a decent abbreviation for message boards. For face-to-face discussions with friends and fellow enthusiasts its a bit wordy.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  00:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I basically distinguish between the two by calling them "the Realms" and "the 4e Realms." Though I like "Shattered Realms" as well.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  05:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I basically distinguish between the two by calling them "the Realms" and "the 4e Realms." Though I like "Shattered Realms" as well.

4e FR or 4e Realms seem like the most logical and neutral short hands for CK discussions. Apart from that people should feel free to use whatever colorful term they desire.
Afet.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 10 May 2008 05:45:51
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  15:03:21  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait, wait! I've got it!
In another scroll, Wooly serendipitously came up with the best term I've seen yet for the new Realms: "Sellplague"
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 10 May 2008 15:04:16
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  15:07:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Wait, wait! I've got it!
In another scroll, Wooly serendipitously came up with the best term I've seen yet for the new Realms: "Sellplague"
Afet

Nope, it was deliberate. 'Twas actually a variation on a long-ago TSR typo, when I saw a box of booster cards for the "Sellfire" CCG being sold at my FLGS.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  21:39:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Sellfire", LOL.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000