Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Do You Want a Candlekeep meet ????
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  18:15:49  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi I have just been reading up on Ed's questions and something I read struck me, no not the keyboard!.

The Hooded One said something about It would be nice to meet / see some of the members she talks too.

Has there ever been a Members of Candlekeep Meet?

I know we are spread all over the world, but alot of people on the boards have struck up friendships and I wondered if any of you have met up or organised a meet?

At least a meet for people in the same country, to save on airfare.

Delz

I'm Back!

Edited by - Delzounblood on 11 Feb 2007 00:10:51

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  18:24:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We tried at this years Gencon.... it, didn't go well. :)

Other then that, I don't think there's ever been talk of having a meet.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  18:36:08  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
everyone come to hawaii. I'll put you all up. food is on me. come on...ya need a vacation...where better than hawaii?!?!?!

I think it's a great idea, all of us get toggether as a con or something...

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  19:05:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Alas not, Delzounblood. As Kuje mentioned, effort was made to get a small meet together at GENCON but I think two or three members got together ant that was it

It would be nice to have a good number get together one day though.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  23:35:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really would love for something like this to happen, but with so many of us spread across the wide world, it seems unlikely. Certainly, same country-based meets are a possibility, but then... I've had trouble finding time to meet with Dargoth and/or Krash here in Australia because of crazy work schedules.

Time and money would seem to be the biggest obstacles to such a plan.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  00:36:25  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we could set it up for like GenCon 07, and then once we get enough people there, we can do a streaming vid feed into the gaming room, and host it on the Ckeep site...for those who cannot attend..

(i'm planning on going to gencon this year)
i'll brng the laptop, the camera and my dice...who's with me?

"Why do you cry?"
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  00:41:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if I'm going to Gencon 07. I'm still paying for the rooms and plane tickets from this years. :)

However, I'd recommend, if people DO decide to meet up, that it happens at the Hilton across from the Convention Center. Right outside of the Hilton sign is a grand place to do so. Trying to meet in the Con Center was just to hard.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  00:51:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't make any definite plans for attending GenCon next year.

I've got some big projects to attend to throughout most of early-to-mid '07, so I'm expecting my time will be severely limited (perhaps even to the extent where I'll have to drop-off from Candlekeep for long periods ).

I'll likely know more in the new year.

Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  01:21:08  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see how it is...kuje and sage just don't like me....
*pouts*
*kicks a rock in dijection*
fine...

Seriously. I think it'd be a great idea for those who want to travel a bit and get together. Maybe do something for Candlekeep there.
If not gencon, something else...some get together sometime whenever..but I figured a convention would suit us best.

and Delz, if not lets throw together something in europe..i'll fly to europe...

"Why do you cry?"

Edited by - LucianBarasu on 22 Dec 2006 01:23:20
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  01:23:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LucianBarasu

I see how it is...kuje and sage just don't like me....
*pouts*
*kicks a rock in dijection*
fine...

HAHAH. Sage said it earlier. Time and money are an issue. :) If I can't afford it, I don't go. Cost me about 1k with plane tickets and hotal fare, that's a lot of money for me to pay back.

I want to remind those that are flying out to overseas or into the USA, they need USA passports to return/enter the USA due to the changes in USA laws. I posted about it in the well met and welcome forum a few weeks ago but no one commented on it.

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Dec 2006 01:27:42
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  01:26:25  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know i was just kiding. real life and money concerns suck when it comes to preventing a fun time outside of life.

Guess i'll just have to pay for the hotel rooms...and let people crash for free..

"Why do you cry?"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  01:34:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LucianBarasu

I know i was just kiding. real life and money concerns suck when it comes to preventing a fun time outside of life.
Well, I don't consider real-life to be an obstacle in any real sense, because I'm with the people I love the most. That's fun for me. And I don't consider that my work prevents me from having a fun time either, because I'm doing what I love... so I get "fun time" while I'm at work.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  01:38:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Taking a ship to hawaii sounds interesting, though they might sink and I can not swim, flying to hawaii will be quicker but if plane breaks I can not fly, besides if I live to the wayer please note other thing I can not do.

The offer of food and a place to rest is generious, but even for those that can swim and/or fly there are costs involved.

The GenCon appears to be the best place to plan a gathering, though my idea of wearing somekind of hat to meet up was rejected.

More local gathers might be planed as well, espcially amoung people that put themselves on the map. Some can go anyplace in the world with little concern, some clearly can not. Also you are talking about a rather small number perhaps 3700 members (including some bot/spamers) scattered accross the planet, few live close to each other for even a local meet let alone a group meet.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  10:08:03  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, what I thought of, if ever there will be candlekeep-con it would have to be planned in big scale. I mean, we would have to plan ahead a few years so that everyone might have the chance to save money/arrange working schedules/convince wives ect.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  10:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Money would be my first concern...and my second...and my third

Aside from that, us Europeans are quasi all in the neighborhood, and with flights being cheaper than the Races gift set or the Core gift set...

Problem would be accomodations etc. if it is merely a few 'keepers I see no problem there but on a large scale...

We got together with a few guildmembers when I was playing EverQuest, which was basically all the Dutch people meeting up and one German (me) and a guy from Belgium showing up as well.

Another problem would be this: with EQ we had a lot of things in common, first and foremost shared experiences with raids etc. so there was a lot to talk about, because we had been online buddies for almost 2 years. We (as a group) here at Candlekeep have, aside from our interest in RPGs and FR, nothing in common, and no real shared experiences. It can work, but in all honesty, I have my doubts. When I was at GenCon 2000 I visited Margaret Weis in Lake Geneva, and I met a whole lot of people there. The only thing I had in common with most of these people was that I had read their works, but being a writer and all we had a lot of things to talk about, and most never really touched gaming, writing etc, it was basically a party with a whole lot of great folks.

I guess what I am trying to say is this: should something like that happen it should be made clear from the get-go that this is a party-esque thing, no seminars, only spontaneous gaming (which sounds like spontaneous combustion) etc. Then it might work, if some dope expects to just talk Realms he will be pretty disappointed.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  11:16:07  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you all mean. MONEY!!!

I would love to go to gencon 07 but If I go to the states then ALL my family would want to fly for a holiday aswell, that would mean Disney Land, Visiting my Family in San Fran, Visit Vegas again!, my step son wants to do a harley ride on route 66 (cliche' I know) and my wife wants to go shopping in New York! so if I ever win the Euro Lottery I'll be there!!

But I still think local country meets might work! Alaundo lives near me I think I saw his pin on the map thingy? and there are a good few Brits / Euro's on the boards. Though I admit some country's are much bigger than others.

Well it's an idea.

You never know!

Delz

PS:

You could all see me in my Kilt!!
Hariy legs, shaven 'ead an' all

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  11:27:51  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I guess what I am trying to say is this: should something like that happen it should be made clear from the get-go that this is a party-esque thing, no seminars, only spontaneous gaming (which sounds like spontaneous combustion) etc. Then it might work, if some dope expects to just talk Realms he will be pretty disappointed.

That's what I thought about as well. talking about the Realms is what we do here in this great forum. We don't have to meet for that. But to get to know the real person behind the 'avatar pic' would be interisting. So throw in a few drinks and a huge pig on the fire and the party should get started.... In other words: I second Mace opinion.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 22 Dec 2006 11:29:04
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  11:30:58  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

You could all see me in my Kilt!!
Hariy legs, shaven 'ead an' all

You really think that is worth coming?!

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  11:32:50  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh god yeah!

Mace and LB have the right idea, maybe we could combine it with October Fest (sp) That beer drinking party in Germany!!

Hmmmmm Beer and Sausages hmmmm

Sorry had a Hommer moment

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  11:42:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Talking about the Realms is what we do here in this great forum. We don't have to meet for that.
Though, I wouldn't be adverse to it happening if it did.

quote:
But to get to know the real person behind the 'avatar pic' would be interisting.
Hehe...

I've met two of my fellow scribes here... one from Australia and one when I was over in the UK in early '05. Both said I was nothing like they "expected" -- and I'm still not sure what that means.

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  11:49:52  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say less talk more action!

Who's up for localised meets, and who's up for organising them?

I would love to say me but time will not permit..... sorry

But if there is a UK meet count me in.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  14:12:45  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... problem is this: space. I could offer sleeping space for about 5 or 6 people and that's it, and offering hotels as a solution is actually no solution at all.

And 6 people is kinda a meet, but...well...I supply the space, people buy the food and cook , and we all buy the drinks...

If folks are not averse to sleeping like hens in a pen I could shelter some more, altho my bed is off-limits!

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  17:25:41  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Listen you put something together in Europe or in jolly ol England, and make it for like...fall/winter of 07, My hawaiian @$$ will fly over there...but if I come all the way to hang with my fellow candlekeepers, Who happen to also play D&D, we are gaming at some point.
(then after we break, we go out hit the pubs, rob old ladies, blame the American etc...)

I planned on coming over there and doing a touristy Castle tour around my home island...Ireland sometime in 07 anyway. fall/winter would be perfect ( i need to save like 3,000 bucks yet. i'd be staying like a week or two.) so yeah count me in if you do it fall/winter 07.

(and Delz, if we all go out to a pub, I will not draw you pics of your battlerager on beer napkins..so don't ask hehe.)

"Why do you cry?"

Edited by - LucianBarasu on 22 Dec 2006 17:29:55
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  18:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
maybe im just a silly noob...hehe...but whats GenCon?

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  18:50:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

maybe im just a silly noob...hehe...but whats GenCon?

Easier to do it like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gencon

or

http://www.gencon.com/

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Dec 2006 18:54:23
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  19:59:31  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(I told you everything's in wikipedia, Genis!)
Anyway, a meet would be so awesome that if one could be arranged, I would find a way to get there! I'd invent an anti-matter teleportation beam or something...Yeah, I watch too many Star Trek reruns...But it would be worth it to see Delz's kilt! And all the rest of you folks, too, of course.

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  20:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

It would certainly be a wonderful occassion. I'm in the UK myself but am pondering a visit to next year's summer GENCON, being as it's a special anniversary for the Realms. I feel it may clash with other plans I have, however, but we'll see

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  20:34:43  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...If I wasn't dirt poor...I mean, when 50 dollars seems like a fortune, you must be, right? But I'm working on the teleportation beam...

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  21:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe, coming next year for the Spiel in Essen (biggest darn Game Fair in the world!), I'd volunteer my humble appartment as a base of operations for those who want to come here. The flights to Dortmund aren't that expensive

Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  22:27:38  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what are the dates?
because I am looking to come to europe in 07 but sometime in august.

"Why do you cry?"
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  23:08:24  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be attending GENCON next summer and I'd love to meet my friends from Candlekeep.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000