Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The most dangerous assassin in forgotten realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Enialus Meliamne
Acolyte

Portugal
43 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  12:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Enialus Meliamne's Homepage Send Enialus Meliamne a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Never heard of an assasin of the Harpers. Who might that be???
[/quote]

Arilyn from Songs and Swords series was a Harper Assassin.

Unashamed RAS fan.

Unashamed fan of THE Drow Elf Ranger.

Reader of any author in FR who entertains or weaves a good yarn.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  13:11:44  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok just to be awkward how about The Harper's Assassin.
I do not mean Arilyn I mean K'shar from Curse of the Shadowmage by Mark Anthony.

Though in the book he is described as "The best hunter the Harpers had" not an assassin as such but he hunts and kills for the harpers.
He was a 1/2 or a 1/4 drow or something.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  00:00:35  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranin

I don't think think anyone person can kill Drizzt, unless they are ultra divinely powerful. I admire Entreri due to the fact that he uses NO magic. ONLY sheer skill brought on by living from childhood in the streets of the most dangerous cities of the Realms. I was born in a dangerous city and can relate to that, which is why I relate a bit to him.

Even the Drow of Menzobaranzan said, "..a pity that he is not drow.", in admiration. Why would Jarlaxle team up with Entreri if he was'nt the greatest of all assasins. He was the only human the drow actually respected, from my readings anyways, and besides the psionicism bestowed by Jarlaxle's cohorts, Entreri had no magic abilities like that of a divine disciple of Mask for example.

What is so amazing about Entreri is how he is equally matched with Drizzt, or almost, in sword play, and Drizzt, being a drow, has had more life experience. Salvatore does not let Entreri die because he is an assasin of assasins.

Lies entei uses almost as much magic as drizzt with the exception of the armor (which is oretty uch useless agaisnt charons claw anyway) and the barcers of speed but thoses are spoils of victory and well deserved
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  00:56:32  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Entreri lies?

I've often found him to be the personification of truth - - his truth!

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  22:20:35  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ... regarding the Jaezred Chaulssin an excerpt from my NPC list ...

CHAULSSIN - The City of Wyrmshadows

House of Master Assassins: *Jaezred Chaulssin (with the following members, all Vhaeraunians)

Durrelon Claddmtor (male young adult drow dragon, Rgr/Asn) Chaulssin and Dusklyngh

Ilphtrim (male adult drow dragon, Rog/Ftr/Asn) Chaulssin and Sschindylryn

Mauzzkyl Jaezred (male great wyrm drow dragon, Sor/ Asn) Patron Grandfather, Chaulssin

Quildan Oussgyhm (male young adult drow dragon, Rog/Asn) Chaulssin and Karsoluthiyl

Tomphael Arkenrret (male mature drow dragon, Wiz/Asn) Patron Father, Chaulssin and Eryndlyn

Vesz'zt Auvryana (male adult vampiric drow dragon, Rog/Asn) Chaulssin and Maerimydra

Xorthaul Barriaths (male mature adult drow dragon, Rog/Clr of Vhaeraun/Asn) Patron Father, Chaulssin and Jhachalkhyn

Zammzt Everharn (mature adult drow dragon, Rog/Asn) Patron Father, Chaulssin and Ched Nasad

(For information on drow dragons see Dragons of Faerûn, p. 44)

Nimor Imphraezl (md, half-shadow dragon, Rog3/Ftr4/Asn9) Anointed Blade of the Jaezred Chaulssin

- aliases used by Nimor were: Reethk Vaszune (Menzo, trader in spell components), Zhayemd Dyrr (Captain & scout of House Agrach Dyrr of Menzo)

... no levels et all given for obvious reasons. You could find them in Dragons of Faerûn, of course ...

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 21 Jan 2007 22:21:11
Go to Top of Page

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  12:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WTF ^^^^

Never heard of a drow dragon before lol

I Beleve that Fzoul is the most dangerous assassin (The grandfather of assassins can lick his boots) What with his direct connection to bane, he runs a powerful organization (zhentirium)and he is a chosen one in control of a minor but powerful artifact
plus he is a pretty damn good cleric
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  13:12:42  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please let me remind you that chosen can die, and I think that the grandfather of assassins can lick Fzoul
anyplace without him even knowing it.

Please don’t misunderstand me I am a great fan of Fzoul, but I must still admit that the grandfather of assassins is more dangerous.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  11:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any stats or specfic stories about the grand father of assasins?
i ve only seen references to him and frankly im not impressed
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  16:11:10  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A just used one hour, trying to find which dragon magazine “the grandfather of assassins” is in, and I am sorry
to say that i can’t find him.

I am 99% sure that I did read about him in one of my many dragon magazine’s, but now I can’t find out which.

Are there one of the sage’s in here that could help me out?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  00:37:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

A just used one hour, trying to find which dragon magazine “the grandfather of assassins” is in, and I am sorry
to say that i can’t find him.

I am 99% sure that I did read about him in one of my many dragon magazine’s, but now I can’t find out which.

Are there one of the sage’s in here that could help me out?

Did you consult The DragonDex?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  01:00:37  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally.. One of my favourite sages. Yes Wooly Rupert and on the net, and in almost all of my dragon magazine’s. I really think this is strange, and i am almost a 100% that I did read about them in one of them ???????

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what one it is in.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  01:48:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's not referenced on the DragonDex, then there's every likelihood that it wasn't included in DRAGON.

Perhaps you've seen it as part of an D&D article on the WotC site? Some of their more "rules-heavy" articles tend to feature subjects on fighters and the like...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  03:36:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

If it's not referenced on the DragonDex, then there's every likelihood that it wasn't included in DRAGON.

Perhaps you've seen it as part of an D&D article on the WotC site? Some of their more "rules-heavy" articles tend to feature subjects on fighters and the like...

Or, it's referenced under something else. As in, a write-up of "Bob Smith", who happens to be the grandfather of assassins, rather than a write-up of "the grandfather of assassins."

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  05:02:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye.

It may also have been an article from DUNGEON. They've featured themed articles like this, at times...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  11:59:01  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Or, it's referenced under something else. As in, a write-up of "Bob Smith", who happens to be the grandfather of assassins, rather than a write-up of "the grandfather of assassins."

Try searching for him as Timshenko (or something like that)
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  14:02:33  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don’t know what Timshenko is Grandmaster Kane

I just want to say that i have made a post at the wotc message board about finding information about the grandfather of assassins.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  17:59:48  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coming to think of it, Lolth is reported as posing as Zinzerena on Toril. And that she's been seen around that one oh-so famous city up there beneath the North. Imagine someone posing as a demipower of chaos, assassins and illusion using her avatar ... and try to beat this. ;)

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  05:01:11  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in the Fr campaign setting it says that the grandfater of assasins is Lord Tagreth and is only ftr3/rog7/asn7 but i have trouble seeing knellict (17 wiz/ 2 asn) follwing that guy
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  05:09:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, two things here . . . level isn't everything. If he is skilled and knows "the trade" and has the loyalty of a large number of the important members, and is well connected and thus more effective as a leader, it doesn't really matter what level the character is.

However, if you shift this around and look at the levels, Knellect is only two levels "higher" than Tagreth, which isn't a whole hell of a lot and in the "real world" of the FR setting, it would be hard for a person that can't see what stats another person has, to figure out much of a difference between a 17th level character and a 19th level character.

The other thing is that some people just aren't that comfortable in some positions of authority. Knellect might be fine leading a group of assassin trained wizards, but isn't as comfortable leading a group of rogues and fighters that obviously use different methods for their trade, even if they do the same thing in the end, the methods to get to that point is different.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  00:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grandmaster Kane

in the Fr campaign setting it says that the grandfater of assasins is Lord Tagreth and is only ftr3/rog7/asn7 but i have trouble seeing knellict (17 wiz/ 2 asn) follwing that guy

I agree with what Knight said - level isn't everything. But if you do look at their character levels, Lord Tagreth *HAS* more assassin levels than Knellict (whom evidently relies on magic to kill his victims).

Lord Tagreth used to be a member of a very old, powerful and respected noble house, with connections (probably) all around Faerûn. It is also likely that he possesses a high Diplomacy score, Charisma and Leadership-feat - not to mention that he may have also used propaganda to bolster his reputation as a deadly schemer and assassin even beyond his not-so-modest abilities in these fields.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  15:51:49  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
any rougue who kills a dragon.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  16:48:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

Jaezred Chaulssin.??? Where can i find info on this Drakul?

The Dragons of Faerun, Part 3: City of Wyrmshadows Web Enhancement covers them pretty well.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  18:23:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would agree with anyone who thinks the most dangerous assassin is someone no one's ever heard of. A smart assassin doesn't call attention to himself (or herself).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Nov 2007 02:00:16
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  23:54:44  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I admire Entreri due to the fact that he uses NO magic.

The blade Entrari uses is VERY magic, so was ther cloak of the bat he used.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  01:25:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

quote:

I admire Entreri due to the fact that he uses NO magic.

The blade Entrari uses is VERY magic, so was ther cloak of the bat he used.

Perhaps they meant he doesn't cast spells.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Amraz one arm
Acolyte

Netherlands
42 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  15:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Amraz one arm's Homepage Send Amraz one arm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I think the top assassin in the realms would have to be, a highly succesfull cleric/assassin of Cyric. And probably a loner-type. Who's only motivation is murder and getting away with it.
What good would it do, to be famous when all it wants to do is murder and murder some more. A Jack the Ripper with no trade-marks.

"You smell human to me."
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  16:32:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most dangerous Assassin in Faerun: do they have to have the assassin prestige class?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  17:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

The most dangerous Assassin in Faerun: do they have to have the assassin prestige class?

I would vote no on that. They should just have to kill people for a living; whether that be money or politics or something else that benefits them. The assassin PrC helps them in this, but is not necessary.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  17:10:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that my vote has to go to Malak, Seraph of Lies, and Chosen of Cyric. He is willing to do anything, and I mean anything, if he thinks it is in the best interest of his god, even if his god disagrees with him. And he is running around with the heart of his god in his chest. Then again, he might not have gotten away from Ruha at the end of the RotAW. But I am betting that he did. I would so read another book with him as a key character.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  17:21:04  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the best assassin could be known as a great assassin as long as no one knew his real identity. You know, he could have a standard MO or even a calling card to identify who did the work, but no one would know who he was. His alter ego would be someone that no one wold ever suspect of being an assassin.

Think The Scarlet Pimpernel (great movie if you've never seen it)who was not an assassin but you get the point.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000