Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The most dangerous assassin in forgotten realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ilztfryn Claddghym
Seeker

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  21:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Ilztfryn Claddghym's Homepage Send Ilztfryn Claddghym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree with the Entreri fans here. There is no greater killer in the realms. He has matched Drizzt (one of the best swordsmen in the realms no matter what anyone says) everytime and honestly empires cower at the name Entreri.

Ever dreamed of role playing in Faerun? Battling Obould's forces in the North or Pirates at sea? Join this board www.faerunrp.com/forum
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  21:48:28  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, though being one of the best swordsmen in the Realms (despite his relatively low levels) doesn't really necessarily make Entreri the best assassin.

I think part of this has to do with the definition of assassin. What is our criteria here? Entreri doesn't seem like he's particularly stealthy. He just tracks down the guy whom someone wants killed and then kills him in battle or just cuts the fellow down.

That doesn't make him a Bad assassin. However, James Bond is an assassin but I don't think anyone ever would accuse him of being subtle about it.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  22:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to respectfully disagree with those who think Artemis is the greatest assassin (and for that matter, those who think Drizzt is the greatest swordsman). He's the most well known among readers, but that doesn't mean much in the actual setting, and...

(highlight for spoilers for Road of the Patriarch):

Artemis has gotten soft, simple as that, and it's highly possible that as of RoP he has tentatively quit his assassin career, at least if you agree with RAS instead of the FRCS about this character.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  23:30:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I imagine most experienced killers were wiped out when Bhaal's spell annihilated them in the ToT.
Not quite.

This was the result of a retcon. In the FRCS, on pg. 264, it states that only the assassins that worshiped Bhaal were killed, and thus, not ALL assassins were eradicated during the demise of Bhaal.

Additionally, it is important to note that only those characters in the Realms who had assassin class would've actually died (which means any unstatted characters before this time could have easily survived the event).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  23:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I'll have to respectfully disagree with those who think Artemis is the greatest assassin (and for that matter, those who think Drizzt is the greatest swordsman). He's the most well known among readers, but that doesn't mean much in the actual setting, and...

Artemis has gotten soft, simple as that, and it's highly possible that as of RoP he has tentatively quit his assassin career, at least if you agree with RAS instead of the FRCS about this character.

In the case of Artemis, Drizzt managed to prove himself against a Balor in single combat and also several extraordinarily talented characters in Menzoberrazan. It's a measure by 'feats' that puts Drizzt so high. Artemis is nearly as good as Drizzt so we have a measure for both of them.

Now, technically, if we were measuring by feats then Gareth would be the greatest warrior in all the Realms. Despite never being in a novel, the character handed Zhengyi the Witch King and Orcus their asses. That's unparalleled in the history of the Realms.

Azoun would also be up there for the fact he went mano-a-mano with an Great Old Wyrm Red. I, for one, don't like putting Gareth or Azoun up there despite their great valor because little emphasis is placed on their sword skill but just their raw prowess as warriors.

And Highlight for Spoilers...

Artemis has actually improved as far as I'm concerned given I doubt the Old Artemis could have defeated a Dracolich or involved himself in so many battles. Whether he's retired as a warrior or not, I think he's actually improved as a warrior for the gaining of his ability to feel.

He has been retired as a 'kill for hire' for sometime though

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  23:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Not quite.

This was the result of a retcon. In the FRCS, on pg. 264, it states that only the assassins that worshiped Bhaal were killed, and thus, not ALL assassins were eradicated during the demise of Bhaal.

Additionally, it is important to note that only those characters in the Realms who had assassin class would've actually died (which means any unstatted characters before this time could have easily survived the event).

Even given that, doesn't that strike you as likely killing off most of the good ones?

Go to Top of Page

Walls
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  23:42:31  Show Profile  Visit Walls's Homepage Send Walls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zimme

Lucky that people have differnt opinons, or else our lifes would be a little less interesting.
But yes I also agree with Ranin, calimport's most dangerous assasin through the times Artemis Entreri, is up there on the list. But in people's respective campaigns there might be npc's or char's more skilled in the shadow arts than Entreri. And yes the uttermost skilled preform their killings in absolute anonymity.
And Genis, do people think that R.A Salvatore is a bad writer??!! you cant argue with success!

Britney Spears had success. I can indeed argue.

Though... Salvatore remains amongst my favorite current authors.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  00:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In the case of Artemis, Drizzt managed to prove himself against a Balor in single combat and also several extraordinarily talented characters in Menzoberrazan. It's a measure by 'feats' that puts Drizzt so high. Artemis is nearly as good as Drizzt so we have a measure for both of them.

Only until you step outside the scope of the novels.

quote:
Now, technically, if we were measuring by feats then Gareth would be the greatest warrior in all the Realms. Despite never being in a novel, the character handed Zhengyi the Witch King and Orcus their asses. That's unparalleled in the history of the Realms.

Gareth did that with a whole party of people, not single-handedly. Should one character receive all credit for that? And "unparalleled in the history of the Realms" seems like a hard-to-prove statement to me.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Jan 2007 00:02:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  00:07:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Not quite.

Even given that, doesn't that strike you as likely killing off most of the good ones?

I wouldn't think an assassin would need to be stat'd and referenced fully in order to be considered "good." Certainly, they are the more popular assassins in the Realms, though I tend to believe that most of the Realms' more deadly assassins are those who still lurk in the shadows and have yet to receive any real attention in either FR fiction or the Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  00:09:04  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm going by the assumption of what we've read thus far.

Theoretically, Zummy the 30th level Half Orc could kill a Lich a day every day for 5 years and we'd never hear about it.

However, the general assumption I have is that what we read and is listed in the history of the Realms is it until its shown otherwise.

The Bloodstone Modules are to my knowledge the only time a mortal has ever spanked a 30th level Lich and two Demon Princes even at the lowest level for running it.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  00:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wouldn't think an assassin would need to be stat'd and referenced fully in order to be considered "good." Certainly, they are the more popular assassins in the Realms, though I tend to believe that most of the Realms' more deadly assassins are those who still lurk in the shadows and have yet to receive any real attention in either FR fiction or the Realmslore.

While possible, we've got an extensive detailing of most of the groups in the Forgotten Realms. Everyone from the inner halls of the Knights of the Shield to the secrets of the Eldath Veruuna.

I tend to think that until stated otherwise, we actually know most of the powerful figures of the Realms.

That is unless someone just asks Ed and he'll bring into existence 10 or more even more fascinating characters ;-)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  00:17:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

While possible, we've got an extensive detailing of most of the groups in the Forgotten Realms. Everyone from the inner halls of the Knights of the Shield to the secrets of the Eldath Veruuna.

I tend to think that until stated otherwise, we actually know most of the powerful figures of the Realms.
I disagree with that, for the most part.

Such characters should only be taken as a sampling of what the rich environment of the Realms has to offer in terms of well-crafted characters.

Just because we haven't heard about the most deadliest assassins in the Realms, doesn't mean there aren't any. It may mean that they're doing their "jobs" so well that unexplained deaths are all that remain to mark their passage.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Jan 2007 00:18:14
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  00:23:19  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well yes, but they're hiding from the people of the Realms, not the Readers of Ao's Realm ;-)

You're welcome to your opinion but in canon FR, I don't assume there's a massive bunch of secret societies other than the ones in Lords of Darkness. My assumption was they were pretty much it.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  00:46:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Bloodstone Modules are to my knowledge the only time a mortal has ever spanked a 30th level Lich and two Demon Princes even at the lowest level for running it.

Like I said before, Gareth did not do that alone. He had a whole GROUP of people helping him. You make it sound like Gareth killed both these guys by himself and on the same night, just before dinner.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  00:49:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well yes, but they're hiding from the people of the Realms, not the Readers of Ao's Realm ;-)

You're welcome to your opinion but in canon FR, I don't assume there's a massive bunch of secret societies other than the ones in Lords of Darkness. My assumption was they were pretty much it.

Really? That's a darn small number of secret societies for Faerun, then.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  01:00:42  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do you figure?

I often figure it's rather silly of the Thayans to do their magical network when the Zhents already have their vast Illuminati-Style conspiracy of marketeering and death. Then there's the Knights of the Shield interfering with that too.

You don't need that much overlap.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  01:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Secret societies are formed based on the needs and wants of their members--people don't stop forming them just so other societies won't feel "crowded".

Remember too that there are different types and sizes of secret societies--they don't have to be vast, world-stretching groups.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  01:49:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Really? That's a darn small number of secret societies for Faerun, then.

Especially since there's other organizations that are not in Lord of Darkness.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  02:00:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

We've had plenty of odd references to secretive orders/powergroups/other-related-organisations that have sometimes received nothing more than a brief sentence or passing mention in the Realmslore.

Consider also, how many of the older divine and deity-related orders and organisations (especially those connected with evil powers) detailed in F&A that exist as nothing more than a one sentence reference.

There's still plenty left to explore, which is why I consider only the in-depth coverage we've seen so far to be nothing more than a mere sampling.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Jan 2007 02:02:54
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  02:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Like I said before, Gareth did not do that alone. He had a whole GROUP of people helping him. You make it sound like Gareth killed both these guys by himself and on the same night, just before dinner.

Well even if Gareth did it with Olwen, Grandmaster Kane, and his Ranger Queen then there's still a pretty large amount of credit to spread around the groups.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with capping the skills by saying Artemis or Drizzt are amongst the best. That adds context for the rest of the Realms to be judged by.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  03:57:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Consider also, how many of the older divine and deity-related orders and organisations (especially those connected with evil powers) detailed in F&A that exist as nothing more than a one sentence reference.

Heck, even those "scheming cabals of nobles" that have appeared in Ed Greenwood's recent books fall into the catergory of "secret society".

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  03:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well even if Gareth did it with Olwen, Grandmaster Kane, and his Ranger Queen then there's still a pretty large amount of credit to spread around the groups.

Christine's a druid, and Gareth has more people in his little posse than that.

quote:
I also don't think there's anything wrong with capping the skills by saying Artemis or Drizzt are amongst the best. That adds context for the rest of the Realms to be judged by.

I think the rest of the Realms are what those characters should be judged by. And as far as I can tell, they don't necessarily come out on top. They only get mentioned so often because they are popular characters.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  04:15:30  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the rest of the Realms are what those characters should be judged by. And as far as I can tell, they don't necessarily come out on top. They only get mentioned so often because they are popular characters.

I'll take your word for the Bloodstone Gang.

But answer me this, is there any reason why they shouldn't be? Who exactly is supposed to be better?

Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  06:18:46  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread was initially discussing who the most dangerous assasin the in Forgotten Realms would be. This can lead to some interesting discussions, although it is dangerously close to a "who is the best" thread which we have before seen as very problematic here at Candlekeep. The fact of the matter is that there are indeed too many variables in most cases to come up with a definitive numerical listing, without making such discussions more specific.

That having been said, comparing the various ablilities of serveral known assasins, as well as several assasin's guilds is somewhat within the spirit of the initial topic, and can also lead to some interesting discussions.

Unfortunately, again, we seem to be veering far afield. This thread is not a discussion of who the best swordsmen in the Realms are. We have had those discussions, and more or less settled them as much as they can be settled. This is not a discussion on weather there are secret societies in the Realms yet unheard of, or the validity of already existing organizations in the Realms.

This is also not a discussion of Gareth Dragonbane and his fellow adventurers from the Bloodstone Lands, nor of their relative level of power or importance in the Realms.

This topic has become exceptionally scattershot.

Finally, this topic is not about wheather a core group of iconic characters in the Realms define the setting, or are merely representitive of it. Permutations of this same arguement have sprung up, over and over again. This thread is not the place for this discussion.

If we don't, as fellow scribes, have any more to say about the relative talents of various assasins or groups that might contain them, then let us please leave off of various, unrelated discussions that have bled over into far too many scrolls lately.

Please, before we post, lets take a second to look at what the topic is, and think about if our comments are really suited to the original topic, or if they are best suited to a new thread to contain the discussion, or perhaps even better, directed specifically at a scribe that might have posited something that you, as one of the scribes of the keep, feel compelled to respond to.

Thank you, and lets us please move on to the topic at hand, or to discussions that we find worthy of our thoughts and efforts.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  10:44:33  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I totally agree with you… Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tanks Arkhaedun for getting us back to the topic: The most dangerous assassin in Forgotten Realms

The top 5 list - The most dangerous cutthroats on Toril

Grandfather of Assassins
Jaezred Chaulssin
Artemis Entreri
The Calishite assassin Thyruin of the White Flowers
?

Assassins (guilds / bands)i know of.

The Assassins of Zakhara (Assassin Mountain)
The Night Masks, a band of thieves, assassins - The Faceless
Fire Knives
Cult of Set
Shade Council
What about The Shadow Thieves

Do the The Twisted Rune have any assassins ?

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  11:18:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assassins are counted among the agents who serve the Twisted Rune, yes.

One assassin of particular note, the LE vampire Mankar Ottal, has been said to have "achieved great ignominy" as a slayer.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  11:51:45  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mauzzkyl Jaezred, no doubt, great wyrm drow-dragon Sor 13/Asn 5

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  14:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, my pick for the most dangerous assassin in the Realms is Gilgeam's former assassin.

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  14:12:22  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My impression is that there are many, many assassin organizations throughout the Realms mentioned in the source materials, about which scant information is provided. I like the fact that they're left undetailed, though. Because it's then up to the DM to develop them further.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  16:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point, Arkhaedun, sorry for veering off topic.

I guess with so much unknown about the Realms, we'll never know who the most dangerous is.

Though I do think if we wanted to establish some criteria for it, that we might have an idea who the best KNOWN assassin is. Like highest levels, coldest personality, best methodology and so on.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000