Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Expedition to UnderMountain Information
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  20:36:06  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good news indeed. I really like the undermountain adventures from second edition (three adventures +2 boxed sets). I'm really curious to see what they bring us :-)

June ... it looks so far :p
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  21:13:40  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

According to Richard Baker Expedition to Undermountain is designed for a first level party and will take them to 9th level

I'm not sure 9th is correct. It might be less than that.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  21:55:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either way, I'm quite looking forward to it.

Do any of the original Undermountain magical items get updated?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  22:07:00  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Either way, I'm quite looking forward to it.

Do any of the original Undermountain magical items get updated?

Too early for me to answer that question.

Sorry,

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  04:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From April and beyond

Another homage to the golden age of D&D , Expedition to Undermountain plumbs the depths of that most deadly and expansive of dungeon complexes, the infamous Undermountain. Located far below the city of Waterdeep (in the Forgotten Realms ), this legendary location has been killing -- that is, challenging -- characters ever since the publication of The Ruins of Undermountainlong, long ago. So popular and exhaustive, the dungeon complex has most recently been re-explored by the lovely and talented Matt Sernett, in a series of web features titled Return to Undermountain. But now, you're staring down the dark corridors of a 224-page super-adventure designed to take a party of 1st-level characters and turn them into hardened 10th-level heroes. Even though Undermountain was/is located underneath Waterdeep, you don't have to be running a campaign in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting to make use of this vast labyrinth -- Expedition to Undermountain was designed to be useful to any DM in any campaign setting. I won't go into any more detail or description, but I will pass along the back cover text:

No one knows what lurks
in the depths of the mad archmage's halls . . .
but you're about to find out.

Day, night, I can no longer tell. Gargoyles carried off the wizard while we were roping our way down Belkram's Fall. Evendur the paladin fell beneath the axe of a blood-maddened minotaur two rests later, then Ironhewer stumbled into a magical portal and vanished screaming. We dared not follow him. It is said that these halls hide treasure beyond imagining, but even if we found Halaster's hoard in the next chamber, we are so hopelessly lost that I doubt I would live to spend a copper of it.

This Dungeons & Dragons adventure presents the vastest, deepest, most legendary dungeon of them all -- Undermountain, the domain of the mad archmage Halaster. Below the streets of Waterdeep lie more than twenty levels and sublevels, some miles in extent. Ruined fortresses, secret shrines, subterranean rivers, forgotten crypts, and monsters of every description lurk in the darkness below.

This campaign adventure is designed for characters of levels 1-10 and features an easy-to-use combat encounter format. This book also presents new magic items for player characters and an overview of Waterdeep as a base for any D&D campaign

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  05:17:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that little 'taster' flavour quote is exactly what UM should be for adventurers. Looking forward to this one.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  14:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

And that little 'taster' flavour quote is exactly what UM should be for adventurers. Looking forward to this one.

-- George Krashos

A wonderful piece of flavour text - left me absolutely drooling for more! (I assume that Ed wrote this?)

As I read it, I immediately felt a flood of old memories... our blind characters desperately stumbling through the Halls without a map to reach the well room, dropping our stuff to distract pursuing monsters. Another time and another level - setting off multiple traps in a door that we *must* get through to survive, while the others buy me time with their lives. Ah, Undermountain - every player's worst nightmare...

I am truly waiting for this one, as a player, since it *always* felt so damn rewarding to just escape the Halls of Halaster alive. Treasure? Magic? Experience? Our characters never really got too much of those, but I still consider all that time my characters spent in the depths as some of the most enjoyable experiences I ever had in my twenty years of gaming!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  15:59:10  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we know if the book will carry the Forgotten Realms logo and look, or the generic look that has been used thus far in the previews?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  17:10:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Do we know if the book will carry the Forgotten Realms logo and look, or the generic look that has been used thus far in the previews?

According to the product page, it's a generic look, even though it is described as an FR supplement.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/fracc/957327200

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  17:10:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

It seems, from what we've seen online, it'll be a generic logo.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  00:44:56  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster dying ?

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=865685

I bet El is the next big one to go.

Edited by - Skeptic on 14 Jun 2007 00:46:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  03:30:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it hard to believe that they would off Halaster... Especially considering the effects of his absence from the Underhalls during Halaster's Harvestide...

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  05:16:20  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I find it hard to believe that they would off Halaster... Especially considering the effects of his absence from the Underhalls during Halaster's Harvestide...

Halaster's death is now confirmed :

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070613a&page=2
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  05:24:28  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Aye - I see it - near the end there. In balck and white.

<sigh>

Perhaps it is a time of great change and all... perhaps there are contingency-style magics at play that will return him...

Perhaps we will learn more - and this will be resolved by the end of the module....

We will have to wait and see.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  05:28:08  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Aye - I see it - near the end there. In balck and white.

<sigh>

Perhaps it is a time of great change and all... perhaps there are contingency-style magics at play that will return him...

Perhaps we will learn more - and this will be resolved by the end of the module....

We will have to wait and see.

Dhomal

Yeah, quite possible, that or another one (maybe one from the Twisted Rune) take his place

Edited by - Skeptic on 14 Jun 2007 06:02:43
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  05:48:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like the Twisted Rune are in on it (Checkout the TOC)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  06:20:43  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good grief. Will Wizards be only be happy after they've gotten rid of all the interesting characters but for Drizzt?
Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  08:32:53  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He'll be back. Ed and Eric wouldn't discard all the ground work that was laid for Halaster's future in Elminster in Hell...
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  09:18:01  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

IIRC - the snipetts on the web make comment that the events start on the first or last day of Elient in 1375 - when do the events in Blackstaff occur - as we have a sighting in that novel...

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  09:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

IIRC - the snipetts on the web make comment that the events start on the first or last day of Elient in 1375 - when do the events in Blackstaff occur - as we have a sighting in that novel...

Dhomal

last day of 1374

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  13:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He appears during the Feast of the Moon, 1374, which isn't the last day, Dargoth.

Anyway, I'm sure there must be more to it then this. How many people actually have the sourcebook and are able to look through it yet?
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  18:39:50  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster might just be playing dead, he has so before. Let everyone think he is gone so more fools will delve to their deaths. Hahaha.

I can't wait to get my hands on this book.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  18:57:50  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Good grief. Will Wizards be only be happy after they've gotten rid of all the interesting characters but for Drizzt?

Well, the last important death was done by the author, not at WOTC request.

I'm pretty sure that if RAS wanted to end Drizzt's saga with his death, WOTC would let him to it.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  20:10:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has just received his advance copies of EXPEDITION, and tells me it's "gorgeous." 221 numbered pages, plus ad pages, generic-line packaging.
Skeptic, if by "last important death" you mean Khelben, that WAS at WotC request. Ed has asked me to say nothing about Halaster or other contents of this book until gamers get their hands on it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  20:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How 'gorgeous' is it? As gorgeous as you, THO?

Anyway, it still looks good. Going to pick it up next week, maybe introduce some people to DnD with it!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  22:38:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just started poking around the excerpts.

I loved the graffiti in the well. Especially the snarky elven comment following the dwarven comment. I was a bit leary when I read in the introduction that they were making this generic, but it seems like despite this disclaimer, nearly every passage defaults to the Realms, and then makes a few notes on how to make it more "generic" rather than the other way around.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  22:42:43  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed has just received his advance copies of EXPEDITION, and tells me it's "gorgeous." 221 numbered pages, plus ad pages, generic-line packaging.
Skeptic, if by "last important death" you mean Khelben, that WAS at WotC request. Ed has asked me to say nothing about Halaster or other contents of this book until gamers get their hands on it.
love,
THO

Ooops, I understand now what I misunderstood from what S. Schend said.

So they are probaby getting rid of major powerful [good] NPCs.. my bet on El for the next stay

Also, THO, some said on ENWorld that the fluff text is awfull, I'm a bit surprised, it was not written by Ed ?

Edited by - Skeptic on 14 Jun 2007 22:47:45
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  22:48:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love,
THO

So they are probaby getting rid of major powerful [good] NPCs.. my bet on El for the next stay

And Halaster qualifies for this treatment under this theory how?
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  22:50:13  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

And Halaster qualifies for this treatment under this theory how?

That is why I added the [ ], in fact I should have said major NPC that keep a strong statuo quo around them.

Edited by - Skeptic on 14 Jun 2007 22:50:49
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  22:52:16  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously, I don't know the full extent of the story and how its told, but its kind of a double edged sword. If the same NPCs stay around forever and are "untouchable" then the setting gets hung with the "The NPCs are the stars, not the PCs" sterotype, and when they die, then fans of the character's get upset. I can understand being upset, I love Halaster, and I'd love for him to keep kicking around for a while, and I worry about the rationale behind UnderMountain being maintained without him . . . but if the story is well told and ties into some interesting Realmslore, than they, I'm in as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000