Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Monsters of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clive
Acolyte

South Africa
2 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  09:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Clive's Homepage Send Clive a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have bought every single new Realms product available. Many of them List Monsters of Faerun as a source book. Yet it is out of print and Wizards seems to have no plans to reprint it. I feel to list it a source book in new products like Unnaproachable East and then say it is out of print and wont be printed in the future is a bit bogus. I looked to see if I could buy a pdf, no go, in any case the art work of these products makes a pdf undesirable and expensive to print. Eventually out of desperation someone I new lent me their copy to photostat. I dont believe in pirating and have legimitaley spent hundreds of dollars on Realms Products. I know I can buy a copy on e-bay. However why should I be paying multiple times the cost for a second hand product listed as a resource in a new product. When these products were first released they listed Monsters of Faerun as a source, months after it was no longer available. I know I can buy copies on Amazon. However as they are not from Amazon.com but other companies listed on Amazon they will only ship to inside of America, bummer, I live in South Africa.

If anyone could help me with this problem with any information I would greatly appreciate it. Even if by some chance I am wrong about the ending dates of the issue of Monsters of Faerun being printed it still does not change the present problem.

Sincerely
Clive

General Orc

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  10:55:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Empires of Faerun has a large number of monsters in that where originally published MoF

I believe more MoF creatures where published in Lords of Madness (the Mindflayers and Beholders)

The Abashai where republished in Fiendish codex 2

Most of the dragons where reprinted in the Draconomicon

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 24 Apr 2007 11:12:52
Go to Top of Page

Clive
Acolyte

South Africa
2 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  12:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Clive's Homepage Send Clive a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i own all such products except for Draconomican. However I still feel that that makes it even more bogus. Now instead of getting the monsters in the one product quoted (which on reading throught the first 2 pages in a book store you would assume is available in print at the release time of the said book) you have to buy several more expensive products. And you (if you wanted to find the monsters) have access to a means of searching these products (i.e. owning them)to even know they had these monsters in them. Furthermore, there are amny monsters in the Monsters of Faerun NOT in these books. Secondaly they are not Faerun specific. In the copy of Monsters of Faerun I have (a bogus one but what other choice do I have, let Wizards provide me with the chance to purchase a new one and will at 25% extra just to "comensate" for having to use a photostat) there is much Realms specific info on each monster, especially on Liches and Beholders and Templates.

And finally, and most importantly, the Monsters of Faerun has a certain Realms graphic feel and the pictures for the monsters have a Realms feel, which the ones in the book of abberations definitely do not have. To be honest artwork in book of abberations scores a one star if the Realms product scores a 5 star for graphics.

No matter what way it is looked at it is a little bogus to print monsters of Faerun as a source book when it is no longer available. Hell, last time I looked (today) <http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/880990000> it is still listed on the Wizards site and this provides every indication that it is still available asa Wizard's product. Only when looking to purchase it do you find (from Amazon) that it is no longer printed. When sending several e-mails to Wizards I eventually got a mail back, one sentence, "sorry, Wizards of the Coast no longer prints this product."

I can only hope?????? that MAYBE someone reading this forum may be able to answer my question or even MAYBE (BIG HOPE) someone inside of Wizards or connected to Wizards will be able to provide an answer. So far in my experience this is the only time Wizards have done this by quoting in a product an out of production book asa reference and leave all indications to a new purchaseer that same book can be purchased.

Sincerely
Clive Stewart

If Wizards release it as a PDF I will purchase it but this would not be my 1st choice.

General Orc
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  17:32:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clive

So far in my experience this is the only time Wizards have done this by quoting in a product an out of production book asa reference and leave all indications to a new purchaseer that same book can be purchased.

Nope. They did the same thing years ago, with repeated references to FR4 The Magister. Several products referenced it, but it wasn't, from what I can gather, in print for very long. And I know that until I discovered eBay, the product was very hard to find -- I once asked at Enterprise 1701 in Orlando (now known as Sci-Fi City), and they said that while they got copies in, there was a yearlong waiting list for them!

White Wolf did the same thing, with the product The Hunters Hunted.

If eBay isn't an option, I've heard good things about Nobleknight.com.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  18:44:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both TSR/WOTC does this, so its not like its something new. A lot of the current sourcebooks reference old sourcebooks or even Dragon articles. Once Dragon ends, that'll be even harder to find.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  01:38:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is reason enough for those Realms fans who may have missed important issues with FR content to start tracking them down now, because it's likely they'll start selling out fast once the license ends.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  03:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Which is reason enough for those Realms fans who may have missed important issues with FR content to start tracking them down now, because it's likely they'll start selling out fast once the license ends.

Aye, this is one of my grumbles. I wanted to get all 4 issues that had the giant maps, but alas, we didn't start subscribing until after these issues. When we went looking for them, Paizo was completely out of stock on the last issue, and we haven't been able to find it anywhere else.
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  05:33:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:

Aye, this is one of my grumbles. I wanted to get all 4 issues that had the giant maps, but alas, we didn't start subscribing until after these issues. When we went looking for them, Paizo was completely out of stock on the last issue, and we haven't been able to find it anywhere else.
~Kes

I've seen them on eBay, a time or two. It's not something I'm generally on the lookout for...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  06:21:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nobleknight.com also occasionally trades in past issues of DRAGON.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  21:58:04  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nobleknight.com also occasionally trades in past issues of DRAGON.

I would say more than occasionally. I've bought Dragon via them, and other products besides. They come highly recommended from this scribe.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  08:00:59  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Amazon.com also for items.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  01:27:54  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a place with a copy for $7 (used and on consignment), just I don't know if they will ship something that is on consignment. And I will admit that I didn't look at it beyond the price, since I already have my own copy.
There are also a number of 3E Dragonlance books on consignment too.
If anyone is interested, I can give the name of the store and the phone number.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  20:29:05  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:

~Kes

I hear. this is a bit of a problem

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  14:30:41  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so said about dragon. :(

So much for issue 251+ ever being released on cd/dvd.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  16:47:56  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ever thought of buying the PDF? A little pricey (it still uses WotC's old method of selling PDFs at the print price) but if you can't find it any other way....

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=28491&it=1
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  20:05:21  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, with 3e products, you can have most rulebooks on the computer, since you have to plan everything so meticulously.
When 4e comes, they'll probably drop the prices on 3e books.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  18:04:39  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seankreynolds

Ever thought of buying the PDF? A little pricey (it still uses WotC's old method of selling PDFs at the print price) but if you can't find it any other way....

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=28491&it=1

pdf pale in comparison though to actually having the book

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  18:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deep Dragons are detailed in Drow of the Underdark.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000