Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dragon Article: The Crown Wars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  22:55:43  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
So. I've had a few people mention to me that I should do an article for Dragon Magazine, specifically about something concerning the Elves. After talking with Kuje, I got to wondering that there was indeed one thing that I could write about, which would weave together both adequate lore and mechanics (for both my taste and that of Dragon, I hope): the Crown Wars.

I was considering writing a short article detailing some bits of lore about the Crown Wars - specifically, some important NPCs and maybe a major battle or two, the battle-site in the modern day, and possible adventure hooks.

I'd also include some very basic stats (one-liners) for the NPCs, and perhaps unique forms of magic wielded by various sides during the Wars. So, I'd have a bit of mechanics and lore about the Aryvandaari, the Vyshaanti, and possibly the Miyeritari - all of which would specifically be linked to the various groups, culturally speaking.

I see a lot of advantages to doing this:
- I think that the Crown Wars is an interesting (and controversial enough) topic, at the very least, judging from how many questions come up about it on both the WotC boards and these ones.
- There is so little lore written about the Crown Wars as it stands now, besides what we have in LEoF and Cormanthyr. Even some detail about a specific battle, associated NPCs, and the like, would be really interesting, I think.
- While the mechanics would be inherently linked to FR and specific nations/subraces/what have you, in the article, they'd be quite easily transported to any D&D campaign.
- The adventure hooks and current details of the battle-site would make the details of the article directly applicable for those DMs interested in the "pick up and play now!" sort of articles.

So, anyone have any opinions on this? :)

Choices:

Yes. I''d love it. Go for it!
I like it. I wouldn''t be disappointed if I happened to buy a Dragon with this article in it.
Neutral. Take it or leave it.
I dislike it.
No. I hate it. Do not do it!
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  23:35:53  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd most definitely be excited for an article about the Crown Wars. Like you said, it's had relatively little coverage, so Dragon would be the perfect place to explore it in more detail. The description of the Crown Wars in LEoF really made me much more interested in the history of the elves (and the elves in general) in FR. If you do decide to write the article, good luck to you GothicDan!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6653 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  01:55:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To have any chance of being accepted it would have to have utility in the here and now. Lots of historical and cultural details on lost civilizations might be interesting for the hardcore FR fan, but WotC and Dragon are only going to pick it up if it has material applicable to games that are being played as we speak - and preferably not only FR as you've already pointed out. Stats for a long-dead NPC of Aryvandaar are all-but useless in this context (unless you have a baelnorn who still survives or somesuch). Not knocking the idea, I would eat up such an article, but Dragon might not be so enthusiastic. Pitch it anyway!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  03:08:23  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great article for the Candlekeep Compendium if Dragon doesn't want it.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  03:39:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if one can but together events of the Crown War in any consistant way. The time line of the war is subject to change. I can see an adventure or a story about incident(s) of the Wars being of player or fan interest , respectively.

I do tend to agree unless there is something that effects the present the market value drops greatly.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  08:39:32  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is not one of the subjects that interests me personally ( then again, I don't buy Dragon either), but I think many people would like an article giving more information about the Crown Wars, so the idea is a good one. If you don't get it through the needle eye of Dragon you can always do as Brian suggested, give the article to Candlekeep and thereby make sure your work is not wasted.

Good luck anyway.

Edited by - Jorkens on 04 Oct 2006 08:40:28
Go to Top of Page

lockdar
Acolyte

Netherlands
18 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  13:30:38  Show Profile  Visit lockdar's Homepage Send lockdar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While it would make a great subject for most of the scribes here present I doubt the article will be accepted unless you manage to tie in usefull information for new players. With all the legends and great stories from the Crown Wars a DM could (with some help) make a very nice campaign revolving about reclaiming artifacts and eldritch knowledge. I for one would be delighted to read the article anyway, but somehow making a connection to the current Realms might be the little push that is required to make sure that Dragon accepts and prints it.

Save yourself a penny for the ferryman.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  13:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it a very good idea! Go for it, GothicDan.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  13:43:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Brian, GD.

Try for DRAGON first... and if it doesn't pan out, rest assured in the knowledge that your hardwork will not go unnoticed by the scribes and sages of Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  17:34:51  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for all of the replies, guys. :)

I think the hardest part, to make it acceptable for Dragon, is tying it into the here-and-now, as many of you pointed out.

That's why I was thinking of really making it more like an Adventuring Site with a good bit of history and lore, and with the battle-site having lost artifacts, spellbooks, etc. from the time of the Crown Wars. New spells and items are always useful, I think. ;)

But I do agree, it might be pretty iffy.... If I do get the time to do the article (... and maybe expand it more. I'm getting really interested in a general 'Aryvandaar' project...), I will most certainly submit it to the Compendium, at the very least. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  01:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can pack in some good items/spellbooks/spells that are grounded properly in the rules set and tie them in with plenty of adventure-hook laden lore, then I'll be buying up any such issue of Dragon for damn sure!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  02:13:14  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, I would certainly like such stuff, but at least it should include lore of how the wars came about in details, specific spells that are noteworthy, war units that were particulary devastating on the battlefield and their construction specifics, as well as strategic locations that may had survived to today. Also, more interesting would be of hidden powerful evils within fallen sites that adventurers might accidentally stumble into.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  03:49:23  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked an idea posted here at candlekeep by Raelan. He suggested a vyshaanti prince comes out of stasis. While, I dont necessarily think thats too likely or desirable (ploit-wise) I did like how he started to portray the lives of these figures besides the conflict. On the other hand I would love to see something done with the immediate response to the dark disaster. Id love to hear stories of brave but foolish elves trying to fight back the Vyshaanti spells or dashing into the fray in order to rescue others. Maybe even the reaction of citizens of Aryvandaar to their leadesr brute force.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  21:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This would be ideal for the Candlekeep Compedium. Plus I do not buy Dragon magazine. I check Dragon magazines out from my local library, so I have a biased opinion I guess. Good luck writing up the Crown Wars article wherever it gets published. A well written piece of lore like that would be priceless and referred to as a must have to all FR gamers. I only hope people appreciate this fantastic event more so after you have finished your article.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  22:46:14  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I think of where the elves are now relative to the Crown Wars, I tend to think that they are in something of a Dark Age. Certainly in the Last Mythal series we got to see some pretty impressive relics from that age (Vyshan battle drifter thingee, I recall), so certainly you could create quite a bit of new equipment from that perspective. In the descriptions of such items, you could insert quite a bit of fluff (who made it, what for, why we don't see them around now).

Apart from that, I see that you could explore some of the traditions of that time that may be relevant to PC's today (Elven warriors of this time and place used exotic spears rather than long swords, here are some new feats that make the use of this strange weapon viable). I recall playing a duelist from Cormanthor: Empire of Elves and loving every minute of it. It wasn't optimal (two schools of magic instead of 6), but it was so very flavorful.

Feats, PRC's, New Spells, New Equipment... these are the lamentable bread and butter of Dragon Magazine.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Aaron L
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2006 :  10:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Aaron L's Homepage Send Aaron L a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say that an article like this would make me actually go out and buy an issue of Dragon, GD.

"Sustenance is not frivolous."
Go to Top of Page

Lord Teclis
Acolyte

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2006 :  20:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Teclis's Homepage Send Lord Teclis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree. I would love to see this article.
Go to Top of Page

Silvanus79
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2006 :  21:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Silvanus79's Homepage Send Silvanus79 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I never showed much interest in the Crown Wars until I read the entry from Raelan. Since then, I have pulled all of my books and learned everything I could about it. And this article would be a virtual gold mine of information. Now, I realize that there is a lot of prestige associated with being published in Dragon, but in my experience, I have gotten infinitely more use out of the Compendiums I browsed on this site. I think that Dragon would be a flashy, cool addition to any portfolio, but I would get more use out of it if it were included in one of the compendiums. My hat is contantly off to the Sages here for that.

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  03:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More Lore is always a plus

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  17:58:13  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More knowedge more more! I will await it eagerly. =)

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Tigger
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  01:03:58  Show Profile  Visit Tigger's Homepage Send Tigger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I was considering writing a short article detailing some bits of lore about the Crown Wars - specifically, some important NPCs and maybe a major battle or two, the battle-site in the modern day, and possible adventure hooks.

I see a lot of advantages to doing this:
- I think that the Crown Wars is an interesting (and controversial enough) topic, at the very least, judging from how many questions come up about it on both the WotC boards and these ones.
- There is so little lore written about the Crown Wars as it stands now, besides what we have in LEoF and Cormanthyr. Even some detail about a specific battle, associated NPCs, and the like, would be really interesting, I think.
- While the mechanics would be inherently linked to FR and specific nations/subraces/what have you, in the article, they'd be quite easily transported to any D&D campaign.
- The adventure hooks and current details of the battle-site would make the details of the article directly applicable for those DMs interested in the "pick up and play now!" sort of articles.

I'm a big fan of the Crown Wars, I just think its a big topic, wondering if focusing on a battle (God's Theatre for instance, modern Tunlands, just west of Cormyr) might make a better article. Or you could go the other way and explain how the Vyshan got the Nether Scrolls (my guess Myeritar), in fact I think the entire first war was about getting possession of the Nether Scrolls from Myeritar at the coaxing of there Patron Malkizid. I also think that 100K orcs showing up at Gods Theatre was likely not a coincidence, which may be a good hook for your story. (plus the infamous shattering swords).
-Tig
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  09:47:20  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, go for it!

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  11:00:12  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I am not a regualar reader of the Dragon Magazine, I'd say - I wound not be disappointed to see such an article. :)

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  00:19:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go for it!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  05:46:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you do write it, good luck. I'd prefer there to be little lore about the Elven Crown Wars. Even to Elves, it's ancient history, and it's ancient history that they're not too keen on remembering.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  17:00:12  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gothic_Dan writing a history of the Crown Wars? With regard to the Ilythiiri, that would be like me writing about Orcus. Or the Pope writing about the Protestants. All fair reflections et al and after it is being published, I will see no end in this lore becoming canon as Dragon stuff is "official". Shock horror!

Ahem, go for it!

(And maybe you send the odd inquiry about the "true" history of the Ilythiiri.)

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 15 Nov 2006 17:01:00
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  19:23:36  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good idea!
Articles like this inspire me for adventure seeds, or interesting locations usefull for adventures.
I believe the a story of the crown wars should have a sad theme, after all it was a brother-kills-brother situation and the results where terible for the elves to bare.
If i succeded my Knowledge (forgotten realms) check reference to Crown wars are in novel Evermeet: Island of the Elves (great book)

Dungeon is a good idea, even non-FR players (manipulated and misguided they are...pity) would be interested for an ancient elven war-it fits in any campaign)

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 19 Nov 2006 19:26:39
Go to Top of Page

Jeiroth
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2008 :  11:53:53  Show Profile Send Jeiroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did this ever come into fruition?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2008 :  13:07:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I'm aware of and since I was going go help him write it, I'm going to say no it didn't especially now that Dragon has gone electronic.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2008 :  21:16:59  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
go ahead, but im not sure im going to do the ddi, cost to much..

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  05:03:21  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go for it...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000