Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Proof of My Sanity (PH and Sunder Question)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2006 :  23:42:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The other night the fine fellows in my gaming group started discussing the sunder combat option when our fighter decided to break the villains rod that he was using against us. During the conversation, I mentioned that you couldn't sunder armor being worn by someone (as a side note, becase one of us wanted to damage the clerics robes).

Looking through the PH the sunder section even lists the common hit points of armor, and as such, everyone at the table thought I was a raving lunatic when I kept pointing out that I knew you couldn't sunder armor, and on the page describing the action I could not find the reference to not being able to sunder armor.

When I got home I found it in about 3 seconds in the SRD. Where is this in the PH? I just need to know for my sanity, and the warm glow of letting my fellow gamers know I'm not mentally unbalanced.

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  04:44:21  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PHB, page 158, Column two, lines one and two, "You can't sunder armor worn by another character."

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  05:12:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sanishiver . . . I think I missed it because it was under that graphic.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  07:02:13  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem.

Just curious: did that player try to at least damage the robes by attacking them?

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  15:51:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. The member of our group acting as DM at the time let him, ruling it was a worn object, and thus had an armor class of 11 or so, but the robes didn't stay damaged any more than the cleric did.

I know I explained the logic of why you couldn't sunder armor to them (i.e. all you would need to do is sunder the big bad fighter with the armor class of 25 at his "worn object" armor class of 10 or 11 if he didn't have a high dexterity, and pretty soon you are only dealing with a fighter with an armor class of 11 from that point on).

It feel REALLY strange to be on the other side of the screen during such discussions
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  17:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah it can be hard, esp. with overlapping rules.

But hey, what can you do, right?

J. Grenemyer

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000