Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dragon Magazine 348
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2006 :  22:22:26  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey, no FR content in here, but a lot of interesting things, such as variant vampires, and a spellbook from Strahd as a tie in to the new "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft" adventure. Also there is an article on curses.

The previews for issue 349 also mention the article on the Hordelands, written by Ed Bonny, Brian Cortijo, and Laszlo Koller, so I am looking forward to that as well.

Haven't had much chance to look through this yet, but it looks pretty interesting.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 14 Sep 2006 04:27:41

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  01:16:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to hear more about the variant vampires.

If you get the opportunity to share a few details KEJR, I'd appreciate it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  15:07:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of interesting stuff in this issue. I'll start out with a synopsis for the good Sage's benefit of the variant vampires:

Savage Vampires: For the most part, they don't make vampires spawn, just zombies, with their energy drain (they can still make other vampires with blood drain), they call predators instead of their normal animal friends, they don't have coffins, they just rest in caves or holes in the ground, no charm abilities, and they have a wildshape ability like druids.

Shadow Vampires: They call shadows instead of animals, can turn into a shadow instead of mist, do strength damage with slam attacks, can transport themselves via shadows, and can cast darkness.

Terror Vampires: They get fear and illusion based power depending on their hit dice, their gaze is an eyebite instead of a domination, they cause wisdom damage with their slam attack, and they can suppress their vampire traits for a certain number of rounds per day, which even allows them to move around in sunlight, but this ability only lasts for a short while.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  15:22:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other items of note:

The Core Beliefs: Vecna may interest some because when they go into Vecna's secret history, it is pretty strongly intimated that Vecna separated the cosmologies when he entered Sigil, thus providing the first in game explanation (though I know a few have posited that theory before). Apparently most people, even planars, don't remember the old way things were but a few still wander around remembering it and are considered insane (kinda reminds me of Psycho Pirate at the end of Crisis on Infinate Earths).

Variant curses has lots of different ways to use a curse spell beyond what is mentioned in the spell description, and presents greater bestow curse.

Haven't really looked much at the Daelkyr monsters from Eberron, as they don't do much for me.

Ecology of the Wight has a magic item property that allows wights to energy drain through their weapons.

The Savage Tidings Column has some interesting information on setting up charactes in the Savage Tide Adventure Path from Dungeon, and after reading through the affiliations, I am actually kind of interested in this game mechanic.

It would be kind of cool to see some FR affiliations now that I see how they tied these ones to the Savage Tide and Sasserine (just reading about them in the PH II didn't really do much for me).

The Tome of Strahd article didn't wow me. I guess I was waiting to see spells that created Strahd Zombies or something. The highest level spell that is listed in the book is 4th, and noticing that the high end of the new Expedition to Castle Ravenloft adventure is 9th, I'm betting Strahd, at least as he appears in the adventure, is downgraded a bit from his former 16th-level necromancer status (unless that was changed before now).

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  15:31:31  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The previews for issue 349 also mention the article on the Hordelands, written by Ed Bonny, Grian Cortijo, and Laszlo Koller, so I am looking forward to that as well.

Ooo Hordelands....im gonna devour that one. FR content in the magazine is a must

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  15:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lots of interesting stuff in this issue. I'll start out with a synopsis for the good Sage's benefit of the variant vampires:

Savage Vampires: For the most part, they don't make vampires spawn, just zombies, with their energy drain (they can still make other vampires with blood drain), they call predators instead of their normal animal friends, they don't have coffins, they just rest in caves or holes in the ground, no charm abilities, and they have a wildshape ability like druids.

Shadow Vampires: They call shadows instead of animals, can turn into a shadow instead of mist, do strength damage with slam attacks, can transport themselves via shadows, and can cast darkness.

Terror Vampires: They get fear and illusion based power depending on their hit dice, their gaze is an eyebite instead of a domination, they cause wisdom damage with their slam attack, and they can suppress their vampire traits for a certain number of rounds per day, which even allows them to move around in sunlight, but this ability only lasts for a short while.

I think I could use the savage and shadow vampire at some point...

on a side note, don't you think they are starting to beat this "shadow" thing to death now? It's starting to get as bad as the dragons...suddenly the Shadow Plane (once the Demi-Plane of Shadow) is becoming more influencial on the campaign and the actual RPG than pretty much every inner, outer and transient plane put together? How many shadow feats, spells, PrCs, monsters, templates are out there about Shadows?

2006 was "the Year of the Dragon"...I thought next year would be "the Year of the Elf" but now it is building too the "Year of Shadows"

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  16:22:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the vampire details KEJR, thanks.

I may just have to put this issue on my order list.

quote:

The Core Beliefs: Vecna may interest some because when they go into Vecna's secret history, it is pretty strongly intimated that Vecna separated the cosmologies when he entered Sigil, thus providing the first in game explanation (though I know a few have posited that theory before). Apparently most people, even planars, don't remember the old way things were but a few still wander around remembering it and are considered insane (kinda reminds me of Psycho Pirate at the end of Crisis on Infinate Earths).
I'd originally heard about this over on the Paizo boards. There were rumors that some slight off-hand references to Vecna's time in RAVENLOFT would be dropped in. Did you find any?

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  16:29:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, in the same section they mentioned that Vecna was cut off from Oerth for a time, and that many of the faithful beleived he had disappeared to work on his scheme of acheiving full godhood, while some planewalkers have said that he and Kas were trapped in the Demiplane of Dread (not referred to as Ravenloft in the article), and that eventually he escaped, but that his realm there still exists, claimed by another being.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  16:32:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this is the most detailed interpretation we are likely to get about the cosmologies, but it does make for an interesting explanation of why gods aren't allowed in . . . if Sigil is some kind of multiversial hub, it might be that any god present in Sigil can rewrite how the multiverse works.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  17:03:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know this is the most detailed interpretation we are likely to get about the cosmologies, but it does make for an interesting explanation of why gods aren't allowed in . . . if Sigil is some kind of multiversial hub, it might be that any god present in Sigil can rewrite how the multiverse works.

While that does sound interesting... and does play toward the facts regarding the true power and purpose of Sigil... I still prefer thinking that the Lady of Pain is responsible for preventing powers from entering Sigil in order to protect its power and its secrets, as the PS material suggests.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Sep 2006 17:06:53
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  17:29:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I appreciate the vampire details KEJR, thanks.

I may just have to put this issue on my order list.

quote:

I'd originally heard about this over on the Paizo boards. There were rumors that some slight off-hand references to Vecna's time in RAVENLOFT would be dropped in. Did you find any?

What, can't you wait to eye the article for yourself?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  17:55:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In an effort to make up for being too dense to have made the same connection Wooly did . . . there is a reference to the fabled Head of Vecna in the article as well.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  19:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

::groan::

Some things ne'er change

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  19:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In an effort to make up for being too dense to have made the same connection Wooly did . . . there is a reference to the fabled Head of Vecna in the article as well.

ach..I'm getting old and forgetful ...isn't the rest of Vecna's relics in the Die Vecna Die module?

so the dragon article (whic I will get in a few weeks as I'm in Canada ) talks about Vecna's story, from Vecna Reborn to Die, Vecna, Die?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  20:01:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brief references, and a lot of them are couched in "this is a rumor" and "some planewalkers say this" and "most people think that so an so is crazy . . . but,"

Ely Cromlich and the Faction War are mentioned in the history as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  20:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Brief references, and a lot of them are couched in "this is a rumor" and "some planewalkers say this" and "most people think that so an so is crazy . . . but,"

sometimes I wish they would eithor come out completly and directly quote (and use) old 2E canon or ignore it completly and do their own thing sometimes...eithor it did or didn't happen

(and it did happen in [2E] Planescape/Grayhawk/Ravenloft)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  20:16:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Some things ne'er change

Hehe! And here I stay, thinking: "Well, could I make a post saying that maybe the Sage want a hand with this article? Nooo, it will be too much mischief"...

Going back to topic, the variant vampires are very useful to me. Probably I will test them in my players.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  20:21:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Some things ne'er change

Sage started it!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  01:32:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Some things ne'er change

Sage started it!

quote:

Ooooh! Another Faction War reference in 3e -- I like this.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  08:22:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The previews for issue 349 also mention the article on the Hordelands, written by Ed Bonny, Grian Cortijo, and Laszlo Koller, so I am looking forward to that as well.

That's Brian Cortijo, who graces us here at Candlekeep on occasions - incognito that is. Looking forward to seeing how this article turned out.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 13 Sep 2006 08:23:03
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  18:11:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

That's Brian Cortijo, who graces us here at Candlekeep on occasions - incognito that is. Looking forward to seeing how this article turned out.

-- George Krashos

As am I for a few reasons. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  01:05:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

As am I for a few reasons. :)

I suppose I am, in some ways. I'm more curious to see how elements of the 2e Hordelands have been carried into the 3e FR setting.

Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  06:07:04  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to the Hordelands update as well.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  17:21:07  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quoteon a side note, don't you think they are starting to beat this "shadow" thing to death now? It's starting to get as bad as the dragons...suddenly the Shadow Plane (once the Demi-Plane of Shadow) is becoming more influencial on the campaign and the actual RPG than pretty much every inner, outer and transient plane put together? How many shadow feats, spells, PrCs, monsters, templates are out there about Shadows?

2006 was "the Year of the Dragon"...I thought next year would be "the Year of the Elf" but now it is building too the "Year of Shadows"
[/quote]

I agree. Enough with the shadow stuff. I don't like or use the floating city nonsense.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000