Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tunlar Barbarians, Angardts, and Current Culture
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  00:19:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of my players ran a Tunlar barbarian, and basically just wanted a barbarian that live near Cormyr and hated the Zhentarim. By the time that Champions of Valor came out, I had him nailed down as a Mir. I had also started to flesh out a family member of his as a member of the Cult of the Shattered Peak, based on the information that I could find in the FRCS, Races of Faerun, and Champions of Valor.

For some reason the reference in Lost Empires of Faerun on page 112 about the Tunlar being decended from the Angardt barbarians, a tribe of barbarians that "chose to retain their ancient traditions of sorcercy," never jumped out at me.

I would guess this would make a Cultist of the Shattered Peak a bit more of an outcast in Tunlar society, if the culture isn't specifically against arcane magic.

I had also assumed that the Tunlar might be more, um, at least apathetic to magic since Ed's responses about the Tunlar seemed to indicate that they could deal with an outlander like Thaalim Torchtower because he didn't use too much overt magic. Would this just mean that Thaalim might be looked upon more negatively if he used magic that the tribe had never seen, or is it just that the tribe is okay with certain displays of magic and not others?

At any rate, given that I missed the LEOF reference, am I missing anything else about the Tunlar? What kind of sorcery would be part of their tradition?

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  07:38:15  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some bits about Thaalim Torchtower in Elminsters ecology's, The Cormyrean Marshes, but I think that represents his followers as bandits, not as a separate people.

My opinion on Tunlar magic would be somewhat accepting to magic as long as it was based around divination and protection more than manipulating and harmful magic. I think they have enough knowledge of magic through their contact with other people to not be awed by the unknown. I can see them more as mystics than traditional wizards and sorcerers; its more a cultural antipathy against the practises of mages than a fear of magic as such.

Again this is purely subjective reasoning in the early morning hours.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000