Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bards, poets and authors
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  18:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I need some info on litature and songs in the realms. Where could I find a song that I could use in the game? I also need some poetry... I know this is something wierd to ask for.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  19:02:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Code of the Harpers has some songs. There's others in various novels but I can't recall the name of the novels that have them right now. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  19:15:02  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Were there not some articles by Eric Boyd done a few years ago; Mintipers Chapbook. I seem to remember they were formed as interpretations of songs or poems. They should be in Wizards article archive.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  20:20:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "Mintiper's Chapbook" series was great... You can find them here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/mc

Also, you can find lists of books, plays, and songs in the Realms, here (scroll down a bit to find them):
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/notebook.htm

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Aug 2006 20:21:02
Go to Top of Page

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  22:25:51  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Empires of Faerun also mentions some myths from the East. The Divinity Plays are a series of church-sponsored plays in which the people of Mulhorand celebrate their gods.

The Firedawn Cycle is a Rashemi "oral epic" about the rise and fall of the ancient empire of Raumathar.

p. 63-4 of LEoF.

Edited by - David E on 28 Aug 2006 22:26:34
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  01:04:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nokom

I need some info on litature and songs in the realms. Where could I find a song that I could use in the game? I also need some poetry... I know this is something wierd to ask for.

A wide selection of FR sourcebooks (mostly 2e) provide some details on songs and oral traditions in the Realms. A number of specific song titles, like "The Cormyte's Boast" from Volo's Guide to Cormyr, have been collated in Krash's listing indicated by Wooly above. Note however, that it is not "all-inclusive." During my own research of music in the Realms (for my proposed Compendium articles), I've discovered several titled songs that have not been mentioned on the listing.

As well, Ed has talked about songs (as well as some specific musical pieces) here in his replies at Candlekeep -- specifically his '04 and '05 replies.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  01:08:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

There's others in various novels but I can't recall the name of the novels that have them right now. :)

Elaine's novels mostly, like Elfshadow and Elfsong -- basically anything with Danilo Thann.

Several novels also provide us with insights into the "musical scene" of various locations. For example, Richard Lee Byers contribution to the Halls of Stormweather anthology -- 'Song of Chaos'. It's a musically-themed piece with considerable references to the musical scene in Sembia.

As well, The Yellow Silk, provides some tidbits on the musical scene and some popular songs in both Spandeliyon and Shou Lung.

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Aug 2006 01:09:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  01:21:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for poems and "cultural/folk literature", you'll also find random tidbits noted in specific sources -- mostly regional sourcebooks. Elves of Evermeet touches on the poetic traditions of the elven people on the Green Island. Dwarves Deep relates the practice of poem recitation and poetic traditions among the dwarves. Ed's The City of Raven's Bluff is another example.

As well, again, Ed touches on the subject of poems and poetry in his '04 and '05 replies.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  01:28:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, for literature/books, you'll find most of what I said above for songs and poems also relates to books and literature in the Realms -- in terms of sources to look through, for example.

As well, and I mention this specifically because those particular parts of this novel, contributed to my overall enjoyment of it -- I'll reference Steven's Blackstaff. A great many new titles and books were mentioned within, and two of the principle characters, Khelben and Tsarra, talked about the function of literature and the writing of books in regard to the Realms and its history and cultures. It almost functions like a primer on book writing and literature studies in the Realms. Great stuff.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  01:32:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, in case you haven't noticed yet... I absolutely love these types of Realmslore subjects -- such mundane details form part of my overall love for the setting as a whole.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  01:38:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cough,

Did we need five threads there Sage. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Aug 2006 01:38:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000