Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Own group play VS. Convention style play
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lazerrus
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  02:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Lazerrus's Homepage Send Lazerrus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just thought I would gather thoughts from you all on convention style of play and how it differs from your normal group's play. I have done many cons now and acctually enjoy the variety of different people I meet and play with. It is and can be a nice break from the people you play with on a normal basis. I view the con games as disposable games. I don't have to get to attached to the pc that I play but enough to give it life and have fun with. Even the BAD games you get from time to time tend to leave you with at least a funny story of how bad it was :) Please share your thoughts.

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  06:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never done either. (I'm getting sick of saying that! ) But I'd think you'd have a more realistic sort of game at a convention. The characters don't know each other, and now the players don't either. Of course, at a convention you wouldn't have time for a long game. with a regular group, you can grow as a family.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  07:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had such varying degrees of success and failure at game cons in the past, that I'd much rather play with an established group/GM. The cons WERE fun at times, but the unknown factor is just to much of a gamble for me anymore. If I'm going to spend upwards of $100 or more to go to a con for a weekend, I damn well better have a good time, and NOT have to deal with a DM or player who is a complete idiot, which I seem to have gotten almost every game the last few times I've been. Also, these days the cons seem to be run so badly (lotery for game picks, not checking the rooms or players to make sure they're where they should be, players or DM's flaking on the last minute, etc)that it's not a given that will happen anymore. The really frustrating part for me is that some of the funnest games I've played in the past were at cons. Ahhh, for the old days when people knew what they were doing!

Bookwrym, I can't believe you've never actually role-played before. Your posts sound like they come from an old timer!

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  09:00:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I write. Near to every character I make, I role-play. It gives me at least talking rights on this subject.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2003 :  17:51:20  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually tone the rules down a bit when playing with my group, as often the atmosphere is dulled by constant queries. I vary spells, char. gen., items and lots more. Heck - I even make up my own countries and power groups!

TDM

- TDM (Candlekeep's most popular, experienced and handsome member)
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2003 :  20:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(We are talking about 2nd edition by the way, just in case i get any strange looks) I use probally about 50% of the Rules. For Combat we use inititive, spell casting only takes one round, eh, movement is NOT stricktly monitored, MAGE FIGHTS ARE AWESOME!!!! Sorry just thought id let you know that! I've never been to a con game, but we are in the middle of the longest campaign we have ever run.
Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2003 :  22:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I write. Near to every character I make, I role-play. It gives me at least talking rights on this subject.

But HOW do you role-play if you've never gamed? (aside from these forums of course) Role-playing usually implies gaming of some sort or another.
You've got my curiosity up now Bookwyrm!

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2003 :  03:41:51  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like conventions. Of course, I'd always been a die-hard Champions player, so a chance to see new character concepts that break the usual patterns my friends and I fall into is alway good.

D&D at conventions is always a grab bag. I've played under some fantastic DM's and with some wonderful players. I have also played under some woefully unprepared DM's and with some extremely cheesy players. When it takes over half an hour for a player to explain his character and all of his goodies, you know you are in for it.

The way I look at it, conventions provide an opportunity to kick your character up a notch. One doesn't have to worry about the character dying because this isn't a campaign that you belong to. Most DM's don't and shouldn't allow xp or items picked up in strange convention games into their campaign, so really you are just playing for the sheer fun of it. As such, my advice is to be slightly less hesitant and role play your character to the hilt.

If you are running a game at a convention, I would recommend that you play test it through at least once with your regular group. Time how long it takes to run it and then figure that it will take as much as two hours longer to run it at a convention with strangers. Don't over-estimate the intelligence of the players that you will have. IF a mystery, make certain that a path of investigation is clear to them. If relying on puzzles or riddles, give them options if they seem to be having problems with them.

Also, make certain that you have factored in the fact that the pc's at the con will show up with all kinds of funky items and make sure that your plot cannot be destroyed by any of these easily. Figure out ahead of time what sort of items will really unbalance things so that at check in you can disallow items that will mess things up. Most players are pretty cool with being told that they cannot use a particular item in a con game if told before starting. However, I've seen some real hissy-fits when the DM tried to tell them that he hadn't realized what the item was capable of at check in and now realizes that it will mess things up and therefore is disallowing it on the spot.

One great piece of advice is to try to target one or two conventions and return to them on a regular basis. After a couple of years you will get to know various people there and will have a much better idea which games to try to get into. I've been going to Dundracon on the west coast for around 14 years and can usually hook up with people I've met over the years to guarantee that I get into a game I will enjoy (like the time we managed to have 5/7 pc's be halflings in a single D&D game -- chaos ensued).

The other pieces of advice I can recommend are to drink a lot of water (hotels are notorious for being very dry due to their circulated air -- easy to get dehydrated if playing non-stop and drinking a ton of sodas). Make sure whomever is driving home gets enough rest the night before. I'm rather well-known amongst my group of friends for averaging around 3 hours of sleep total at 4 day conventions and am useless for driving home. Also, try to get the email addresses of people you enjoyed playing with. Even though you may live miles apart, you never know what can develop from correspondences.

Sarta

Edited by - Sarta on 01 Apr 2003 03:43:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000