Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Most common human lang. (other than Common)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  22:16:09  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is it Chondathan (assuming the general northwest portion of the Realms)? I ask because I don't like the notion of a "common" language (notice how sucessful Esperanto has been in our world) and I'm going to eliminate Common.

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  22:45:01  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chondathan is the most widespread and probably the most numerous, though I'm not certain of the latter (Mulhorandi has a lot of speakers, for instance).
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  10:48:00  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A while back there has been a nice article in Dragon Magazine which went into detail on the various languages in the realms, their history and relations. It was written for 2e rules, but could be adapted for 3e... I actually think some of it in a very simplefied form made it into FRCS...
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  17:57:31  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mumadar Ibn Huzal:

D'you s'pose you remember approximately what issue or the general time frame of the Dragon?

Yes, the 3e campaign book has some rather abbreviated language stuff in it.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  18:30:20  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<Rattling brains>... Ehm... best guess would be either 2000 or 2001 season. I can't recall the exact issue number. But IIRC it was an article by Thomas A Costa...
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  21:00:13  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mumadar Ibn Huzal:

Well, the author's name will make tracking it down easier. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Rekindin
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  01:26:27  Show Profile  Visit Rekindin's Homepage Send Rekindin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the second most common human language would have to be the Goblin Tongue......

Please let me be your good part of your day
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  19:52:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No no no. He's asking about regional languages. Like English, French, Spanish, etc. in our world. He doesn't think that it's realistic to have every one speak the same language.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  20:50:25  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm:

quote:
No no no. He's asking about regional languages. Like English, French, Spanish, etc. in our world. He doesn't think that it's realistic to have every one speak the same language.

I would really love to see an article about the linguistic dispersion of Faerun. I imagine Netherese gave rise to a bunch of modern FR languages, for example. I have yet to be able to track down the Dragon article referred to earlier.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 01 Apr 2003 00:39:48
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  07:37:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

I imagine Netherese gave rise to a bunch of modern FR languages, for example.

Yes, like Latin gave rise to the Romance (Roman) branch of languages.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  15:10:15  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Close, very close... it is actually the language from Condath that spawned most of the languages in Faerun. Netherese, Imaskar, Alzhedo and the Northman (Ruathym) language are some of the 'old' languages which have survived to some degree into the modern languages.

I'm not sure if there is a search engine on the Dragon Mag website, otherwise if one of the scribes is subscribed to the FR-list, maybe someone there knows the exact issue #.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  18:31:39  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mumadar Ibn Huzal:

Is "Dragon" where you got this info? If not, where did you find it? I must have it, I tell you, I must have it!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  20:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He just said he got it from Dragon, didn't he?

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  21:33:55  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm:

quote:
He just said he got it from Dragon, didn't he?

Not exactly. He *reiterated* that it was where he got at least some of the information. Would you have been happier if I had asked "Is Dragon the *only* place you got this info?"

Obviously I know about an article by Thomas A. Costa in some issue of Dragon, since Mumadar mentioned it in an earlier post. Since he went to the bother of mentioning it again, it is not beyond the realm of plausibility that Mumadar was ready to add further possible sources. So, wishing to ascertain the likelihood of such serendipitous happenstance, I posed my request a subsequent time.

Comprendes?

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 01 Apr 2003 00:38:44
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2003 :  10:04:44  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Si senor, and unfortunately the only reference I know of containg this data is the article I referred to in the first place.

<silently fuming that his collection of Dragon mags is still in the US>

If no-one else has the information before end of May, I might be able to provide you with the exact issue number.

<looking at Bookwyrm, head cocked a little, quizzical expression on face>

Maybe a little less caffeine or orange juice... I'll have a chat with Winthrop.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2003 :  21:20:20  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mumadar Ibn Huzal:

quote:
<silently fuming that his collection of Dragon mags is still in the US

If no-one else has the information before end of May, I might be
able to provide you with the exact issue number.

If you do, thak you. If you can't or don't, again, thanks for your efforts.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 01 Apr 2003 00:41:01
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2003 :  17:46:12  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my games, I only ever use English or Latin as I really cannot be bothered to learn any FR languages.

TDM

- TDM (Candlekeep's most popular, experienced and handsome member)
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2003 :  03:10:31  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One merely needs to refer to the language section of FRCS to see that Chondathan seems to be the most wide-spread language. With that said, there are still pleny of places on the map that do not use it, so it may not be the most suitable language for everyone's campaign.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000