Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Top 50 Spellcasters "Alive" In Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  04:17:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Did anyone ask Ed who those 60 liches are? If not, I'd be off then and ask him myself...

I don't think it's ever come up before. You should ask him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  04:23:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Did anyone ask Ed who those 60 liches are? If not, I'd be off then and ask him myself...

I just did. But THO seems to be busy since yesterday.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  04:31:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of course. Larloch isn't without access to potentially limitless resources which he can conveniently use to lure willing liches into his path of power. Alternatively, the very promise of further power and mastery over lichdom, could potentially turn even the most resolute servitor lich into serving Larloch's wishes.

The lure could only last for sometime. Sooner or later the servants would realize that the ultimate means to gain what they want is to defeat Larloch and claim all his possessions. That is, of course, given that they are not willing servitors. Which I'd like to think is not the case. Larloch must have seen that as a potential problem, so opted to recruit only the "willing." True, even willing lackeys betray their master, but it seldom happens compared to those among the unwilling ones.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  04:32:05  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which novel was that shown? Flying skull? I only recall the flying skulls in Skullport, as shown in the Erevis Cale trilgoy.

Hmmmmmm....I think Crown of Fire....but not positive. That or the last book of the trilogy. I think it was an Arch Lich(also who wielded spellfirre in his)) who was tricked into a transformation that left him under control of a beholder. Then he was gifted to Manshoon along with a item that supposedly granted him complete control, but then they gave the true key to controlling him to Fzoul Chembryl. I fuzzy on the details, but that's close.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 21 Jan 2011 04:39:31
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  04:40:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes. I remember now. In Crown of Fire. That one which Elminster was not able to stop, but Shandril was.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Jan 2011 04:42:12
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  04:41:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I just did. But THO seems to be busy since yesterday.

I know relative to the last several years, THO and Ed have churned out a prdigous amount of answers the last few months of last year and we have been a bit spoiled here at the 'keep. Have no doubts she will get to it!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  04:44:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I want to be spoiled more.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  05:42:28  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

All of them are Netherese?

It never specifies. The warlock's crypt is meant to be mysterious and a place avoided at all costs.

We do know several of them are indeed former Netherese archwizards. When i get home from work, I will quickly see if I can find the passage I remember with the stats on a specific Archwizard Lich in servitude to Larloch. I believe it is in the players guide to Faerun, but i could be wrong.

I'm looking forward to that. I've always been curious about the 60+ lich-servitors, for they themselves are more than enough deterrents for adventurers and power-hungry evil cabals to venture in Larloch's fortress.

Finally freaking found it in Lost Empires of Faerun. Page 102.
Rhaugilath the ageless. The shackled scribe of Larloch. LG male human Archlich, Wizard 22, Archmage 5, netherese archanist 2, ruled the floating city of Orbedal until the fall. Still alive due to his Phylactery, but trapped in the rubble, was found by his archrival Larloch, and Larloch built the warlock's crypt on this site(Which likely still has a Mythallar).

Once Larloch reached the pocket in which he was trapped, they battled fiercely, but Larloch prevailed and bound him to his will(Method unknown). He was the first of sixty Liches who serve Larloch today.

Also has a nice passage on Ioulaum(Wizard 31, archmage 5, Netherese Archanist 5), who may be the one guy with more individual power than Larloch. How he created the first elder brain for an ilithid hive and merged his sentience with it, and created the first Ilithiliches. How his last apprentice Tabra(Wizard 18, Archmage 5) and one of the only others to know the spell Ioulaum's Longevity(ridiculous spell) was captured by shade for interogattion and her fate is unknown.

Edited by - Firestorm on 21 Jan 2011 05:53:19
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  06:00:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's quite interesting, Firestorm. Thanks.

So there's just one of the 60 revealed? Hmm, hopefully Ed could find time to answer my query about theses mysterious servitors...

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  06:14:42  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So there's just one of the 60 revealed? Hmm, hopefully Ed could find time to answer my query about theses mysterious servitors...

That's a hell of an ArchLich to have bound to your will. If even 5 of his servant liches are in this realm of power, it is sickening. How often can someone who does not rule a country in the realms claim to have a servant stronger than Alustriel Silverhand in the art?

To say nothing of the 3 Demiliches bound to him or the numerous powerful Vampires and other lesser undead who dwell there.

Since the Shadovar have been actively seeking other fallen enclaves in the hopes of restoring them and their Mythalars, and the Warlock's crypt is not exactly a well kept secret, one has to think they decided it was not worth it to try to attack it.

Edited by - Firestorm on 21 Jan 2011 06:17:31
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  06:34:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Since the Shadovar have been actively seeking other fallen enclaves in the hopes of restoring them and their Mythalars, and the Warlock's crypt is not exactly a well kept secret, one has to think they decided it was not worth it to try to attack it.

Indeed. Telamont can't risk that, unless he discovers something in Warlock's Crypt that's far more valuable than a fallen enclave or a working mythallar.

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  11:51:39  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

who may be the one guy with more individual power than Larloch.

He may not, he is
Ioulaum is the mightiest known mage which came from Netheril.
Someone could speculate that after the fall Larloch gained so much power that he surpassed Ioulaum. But as of no one really knows what both of them where up to since than that would be only speculations

Edited by - _Jarlaxle_ on 21 Jan 2011 11:53:42
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  13:27:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven’t yet seen an Elder brain and a lich fight, or try to outwit the other, so I can’t be sure who’s more powerful and more clever (Larloch or Ioulaum).

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  14:30:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's comments in another scroll lead me to beleive the Srinshee(and isnt she about 10,000 years old?) would be the most powerful individual, it was something along the lines of never really stating her levels as to leave it open for her power to be more than any.

Any scibes remember just what Ed said ?

Edited by - The Red Walker on 21 Jan 2011 14:36:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  14:31:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ioulam may be more powerful as an individual caster, but Larloch's 60+ liches are one hell of an equalizer.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  15:02:39  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Ed's comments in another scroll lead me to beleive the Srinshee(and isnt she about 10,000 years old?) would be the most powerful individual, it was something along the lines of never really stating her levels as to leave it open for her power to be more than any.

Hmmm. The Srinshee did not strike me as a head and shoulders more powerful when her and Elminster were facing off against Larloch's liches with the knights of Myth drannor.

Then again, Larloch, when he finally did arrive to talk with Storm, did not seem so invincible in that story. But Ed did explain that when queried.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  15:03:40  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ioulam may be more powerful as an individual caster, but Larloch's 60+ liches are one hell of an equalizer.

Oh certainly. But the amount of things Ioulaum can do as an elder brain is unknown. How many Ilithiliches etc he has at his disposal
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  15:07:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What year was it? I can't remember.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Jan 2011 15:07:41
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  15:08:04  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah maybe or maybe Ioulaum as an eldar brain and haveing other servitor eldar brains which control their own ilithid communities tops those poor liches. Who knows?
Thats what I meant with my second part
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

Someone could speculate that after the fall Larloch gained so much power that he surpassed Ioulaum. But as of no one really knows what both of them where up to since than that would be only speculations

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  15:11:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh certainly. But the amount of things Ioulaum can do as an elder brain is unknown. How many Ilithiliches etc he has at his disposal

I seem to recall someone asked Ed how many servitors Ioulaum does have and what their power levels are. I don't know if it was already answered. Perhaps Ioulaum's lackeys are a match to Larloch's?

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  15:29:32  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bet it's NDAed
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  15:35:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most probably. It happens a lot lately. Of the many questions I asked, almost half are NDA. Can't blame Ed, though.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  16:41:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Unfortunately, it's NDA.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  16:43:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

2010 I think?

Sage ...Wooly??

A little help please

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  16:45:03  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hmmm. The Srinshee did not strike me as a head and shoulders more powerful when her and Elminster were facing off against Larloch's liches with the knights of Myth drannor.

Then again, Larloch, when he finally did arrive to talk with Storm, did not seem so invincible in that story. But Ed did explain that when queried.

Hmm...what that from Tears So White short story or somewhere else?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  17:16:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

2010 I think?

Sage ...Wooly??

A little help please

I remember Ed discussed on the Srinshee's powers, comparing her to other spellcasters of note. But I don't recall him saying she's the most powerful. Maybe I missed that part?

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  18:43:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

2010 I think?

Sage ...Wooly??

A little help please

I remember Ed discussed on the Srinshee's powers, comparing her to other spellcasters of note. But I don't recall him saying she's the most powerful. Maybe I missed that part?

My memory had a flash....I fairly sure it was in the annotations from the Annotated Elminster. My copy is at home, so I cant check it for 4 or 5 hours

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  18:47:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did find this, but need to verify. i seem to remeber Ed stating that he only used these stats when he was pressed for numbers, he wanted to be free for her to as powerful as she needed to be:

quote:
Hmmm. I seem to recall Ed provided some brief 'unofficial' 3e stats/rules advice for the Srinshee in the "Realmslore from Elminster in Myth Drannor" of The Annotated Elminster. Those stats declare the Srinshee as a 54th level character [Wizard29/Sorcerer16/Archmage9].

Edited by - The Red Walker on 21 Jan 2011 18:48:03
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  18:49:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also this from friend Sage :

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

That's nice. Good thing I found it.
But one of the sources says she's 46th level! Can anyone confirm it?

Hmmm. I seem to recall Ed provided some brief 'unofficial' 3e stats/rules advice for the Srinshee in the "Realmslore from Elminster in Myth Drannor" of The Annotated Elminster. Those stats declare the Srinshee as a 54th level character [Wizard29/Sorcerer16/Archmage9].

Are you telling me that she is higher lvl than Larloch??? Thats preette vild!
Again, from Ed, and quoted from the source referenced above:-
quote:
I want her to be more powerful that Larloch in raw wizardly casting power. Her stats should be staggering in power ...

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  18:51:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Snipped from the Lovely THO:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. She's even more than the quite official stats Ed gave in THE ANNOTATED ELMINSTER. But I dare not say more.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Red Walker on 21 Jan 2011 18:54:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly