Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Top 50 Spellcasters "Alive" In Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  09:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

You are all forgetting The spell lord of Fearūn... Namely Melcar Silverdragon.

15 wizard
5 Arcane Avatar
2 Arch Mage.

He took out Manshoon in 5 rounds.

Where can one find information about this spell lord?

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  14:41:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker
Bad news.....no way in the abyss does he make the top 50 anymore since he cannot risk using his magic anymore. Due in part to his worsening insanity and in part to his magic can and does go horribly wrong if attempted.

According to The Simbul over on the WotC boards (who, apparently, has the book), the bits about El being insane and having voices in his head make no appearance in the FRCG.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

keijemon
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  15:01:06  Show Profile  Visit keijemon's Homepage Send keijemon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I went back to the store and thumbed through FRCG again. I know I should've caught it before asking here, but hey, I missed Silverymoon because Silver Marches and Co. now have some weirdo name and Silverymoon itself is classified as old elven city.

Here is what I found:

1) Elminster is alive and lives in Shadowdale
2) His power is diminished without Mystra, he lost all abilities dependent on his status as Chosen, though he is still immortal
3) He can no longer secure the passage between Underdark and Shadowdale, drow excursions follow (and adventurers go down)
4) He is more averse than ever to company and sharing his wisdom; lives out his days on a farm smoking his pipe

No mention of insanity and such, and his description of current self is quite reasonable and lucid. He just seems to lament his tough ordeal and want some peace and quiet.

The greatest trick Ao ever pulled, is convincing Toril he didn't exist.

Edited by - keijemon on 28 Aug 2008 15:12:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  15:25:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keijemon

I missed Silverymoon because Silver Marches and Co. now have some weirdo name and Silverymoon itself is classified as old elven city.

Luruar was the originally intended name for the Silver Marches. It was inexplicably changed with 3E.

The name Luruar comes from Lurue the Unicorn, the patron goddess of Silverymoon, which was named after her (another of her names was Silverymoon). Of course, if Lurue is even mentioned in the Shattered Realms, she's likely an Exarch -- which makes naming both a city and a nation after her kinda odd.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

keijemon
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  15:56:19  Show Profile  Visit keijemon's Homepage Send keijemon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Luruar was the originally intended name for the Silver Marches. It was inexplicably changed with 3E.

The name Luruar comes from Lurue the Unicorn, the patron goddess of Silverymoon, which was named after her (another of her names was Silverymoon). Of course, if Lurue is even mentioned in the Shattered Realms, she's likely an Exarch -- which makes naming both a city and a nation after her kinda odd.

That is something they should've explained in the entry for Luruar. Although seeing how she is not one of detailed greater gods, not one of 19 "normal" gods, and doesn't appear in the list of exarchs (although this list may not be exhaustive, unlike the other 2), I don't think she will be presented as having a connection to that land. Although FRPG may give a better overview of old hubs and religions and how they changed over the spellplague.

And I sure as hell hope that they are going to explain how Blood War ended, instead of current one sentence "Asmodeus drop kicked Abyss into the bottom of elemental chaos".

The greatest trick Ao ever pulled, is convincing Toril he didn't exist.

Edited by - keijemon on 28 Aug 2008 16:01:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  16:17:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That is something they should've explained in the entry for Luruar. Although seeing how she is not one of detailed greater gods, not one of 19 "normal" gods, and doesn't appear in the list of exarchs (although this list may not be exhaustive, unlike the other 2), I don't think she will be presented as having a connection to that land. Although FRPG may give a better overview of old hubs and religions and how they changed over the spellplague.

And I sure as hell hope that they are going to explain how Blood War ended, instead of current one sentence "Asmodeus drop kicked Abyss into the bottom of elemental chaos".

Lurue was originally a demipower, just like Nobanion. During development of the Shattered Realms, Nobanion was originally turned into a human druid, then was briefly an exarch, and then disappeared altogether. So I'm figuring Lurue didn't make the cut to 4E.

So like I said, that leaves us with a prominent city and a nation that are both named after someone that doesn't exist in the 4E Realms. To me, that's just plain silly -- even more than the multiple name changes for this area, which have never had an in-game explanation.

It would certainly be nice for there to be a reasonable explanation for how a war that had lasted for time immemorial came to an apparently abrupt and decisive end, but I fear this is another thing that will never be explained. I wish I could say otherwise, but since 3E came out, we've had countless things changed with either no explanation, a poor explanation (It was always that way, and no one knew!), or even worse, an explanation that contradicts itself. I have come to the conclusion that continuity became an afterthought early in 3E, and wasn't even a factor in 4E.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  16:21:22  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unlikely, since the Player's Guide seems to contain mostly crunch and much less fluff (i. e. lore). What they did not explain in the CS, they will potentially explain in Dragon articles or not at all.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 28 Aug 2008 16:22:12
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  17:35:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Bad news.....no way in the abyss does he make the top 50 anymore since he cannot risk using his magic anymore. Due in part to his worsening insanity and in part to his magic can and does go horribly wrong if attempted.

According to The Simbul over on the WotC boards (who, apparently, has the book), the bits about El being insane and having voices in his head make no appearance in the FRCG.

It does not surprise me that they aren't in the book. Those tidbits came directly from Ed at Secrets of the FR during Gencon , and as he also said "if I say it ,it is so" (said in good cheer of course!), as we know what Ed says is canon which is why he is so careful about what he says and when he says it.

Ed: punctuation

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 28 Aug 2008 21:46:05
Go to Top of Page

Imaskari Ancient
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  06:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Imaskari Ancient's Homepage Send Imaskari Ancient a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i dont know names as for i havent picked up any of the 4e books for FR yet, but from what i skimmed through the FR stuff ive heard there are some big bad uber Aboleths that control a small chunk of the Sea of Fallen Stars..(?).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  15:28:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imaskari Ancient

Well i dont know names as for i havent picked up any of the 4e books for FR yet, but from what i skimmed through the FR stuff ive heard there are some big bad uber Aboleths that control a small chunk of the Sea of Fallen Stars..(?).

Yeah. They have a flying tower surrounding by flying krakens.

Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  17:13:51  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flying krakens? Can they even see the shark anymore, or have they jumped too far past it?

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  04:03:20  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

It does not surprise me that they aren't in the book. Those tidbits came directly from Ed at Secrets of the FR during Gencon , and as he also said "if I say it ,it is so" (said in good cheer of course!), as we know what Ed says is canon which is why he is so careful about what he says and when he says it.

Ed: punctuation

The Elminster that is described in the Campaign Guide is one of the most wondrous surprises I found when I skimmed the book, which in turn inspired me to read the rest of it, which in turn led me to many things that redeemed the 4E Realms for me. Specifically his entry was nothing as I had expected: he is still immortal, still a great sage, and still a very powerful mage...and this time he is actually retired for real. Moreover, we can at least assume from another character sidebar in the book that he is likely living contentedly ever after with the Simbul..given that there is not much else she is likely to be doing in the Dalelands.

By contrast the "insane", intermittently "possessed", and "unable to use magic" version of Elminster hinted at in various remarks by Ed Greenwood at seminars, in IGN articles, or other media prior to the release of the Campaign Guide--and propounded by the echo chamber of the internet--were one of the many ambiguous hints about the 4E realms from authors that had made me adamantly opposed to the entire notion of the 4E Realms prior to it's release. Those statements, alongside the jarring Chris Perkins interview with GamerZero, and the rampant apocalyptic speculation of fans, were far more grave than anything I actually found in the book.

Thankfully I chose to read the book first.

Edited by - The Simbul on 08 Jul 2009 04:15:06
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  13:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
/back to the original topic/
So what we arrived at for the top 50?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  06:01:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Larloch

Telamont Tanthul

Elminster

Rivalen Tanthul

The Simbul

The Srinshee

Melegaunt Tanthul

Clariburnus Tanthul

Szass Tam

Lallara Mediocros (no confirmation that she "actually" died; she could have used a teleportation ring after Aoth escaped)

Gromph Baenre

Yaphyll (no confirmation that she "actually" died; she could have teleported, or at least a part of her, to the future when she was touched by the SP while casting her most powerful divination for Tam)

Vangy

Nevron (no confirmation that he "actually" met his demise in hell; he could have transformed back to human and escaped hell through a contingency spell)

Zalathorm Kirkson

Vaeril Rhuidhen

Lauzoril (no confirmation that he "actually" fell and died; he could have arrested his fall right before plunging to rocks when Szass Tam repelled his enchantment)

Ammon Jerro

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 14 Jul 2010 06:11:22
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  20:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mecadexia Appleblossom of Waterdeep a merchant-mage who grew to fame summoning those from the nether-realms to serve her in just causes.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  05:07:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Robillard? Destroying the Archmage Arcane is no easy feat.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  05:35:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robillard died in The Pirate King. He was killed in the explosion of the broken Staff of Archmage.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  06:18:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see...

Larloch's 60 lich-servitors, or some of them, should be in this list. Were ALL their names ever revealed?

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  06:39:16  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Robillard died in The Pirate King. He was killed in the explosion of the broken Staff of Archmage.

Robillard survived to the end of that book. He did not die. His fate otherwise is unknown
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  06:50:03  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This is probably personal bais on my part if my name is any indication, but I like the "Asmodeus drop-kicking the Abyss" explaination. Has a great "cutting Gordian's knot" feel to it. After countless centuries of schemes and plans and strategies and warfare...he just slaps the thing away. My two cents.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  23:18:23  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I see...

Larloch's 60 lich-servitors, or some of them, should be in this list. Were ALL their names ever revealed?

All of them? No. I recall a few of the powerful archwizard liches names popping up, but only a few. Can't remember which dnd book either
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  23:59:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of them are Netherese?

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  00:32:01  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It never specifies. The warlock's crypt is meant to be mysterious and a place avoided at all costs.

We do know several of them are indeed former Netherese archwizards. When i get home from work, I will quickly see if I can find the passage I remember with the stats on a specific Archwizard Lich in servitude to Larloch. I believe it is in the players guide to Faerun, but i could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  00:50:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

It never specifies. The warlock's crypt is meant to be mysterious and a place avoided at all costs.
For the most part. Though I've got a question pending with Ed about the Crypt, and its occupants.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  01:05:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

We do know several of them are indeed former Netherese archwizards. When i get home from work, I will quickly see if I can find the passage I remember with the stats on a specific Archwizard Lich in servitude to Larloch. I believe it is in the players guide to Faerun, but i could be wrong.

I'm looking forward to that. I've always been curious about the 60+ lich-servitors, for they themselves are more than enough deterrents for adventurers and power-hungry evil cabals to venture in Larloch's fortress.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  03:16:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally would expect that many -- perhaps even the majority -- of Larloch's liches are indeed Netherese, but I'd expect plenty of liches from elsewhere. By "recruiting" liches from other parts of the Realms, Larloch would increase the available amount of magical knowledge at his disposal.

As for his recruiting... I'd expect a variety of methods, there. Perhaps Larloch found a way to dominate liches thru their phylacteries. And an idea I've been playing with is for one lich to plant a tainted method of attaining lichdom -- a method that leaves the newly-created lich under the control of the one who planted the lichdom technique.

And I'd assume some of the liches are willing servants. Occasionally acting on behalf of someone who lets you do your own thing and provides you with not only his own formidable abilities but with 60 ally liches, isn't a bad deal.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  03:29:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to think the liches are willing servitors. Larloch might find it difficult, or at the very least, inconvenient, controlling unwilling servants.

Did anyone ask Ed who those 60 liches are? If not, I'd be off then and ask him myself...

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  03:33:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I personally would expect that many -- perhaps even the majority -- of Larloch's liches are indeed Netherese, but I'd expect plenty of liches from elsewhere. By "recruiting" liches from other parts of the Realms, Larloch would increase the available amount of magical knowledge at his disposal.

As for his recruiting... I'd expect a variety of methods, there. Perhaps Larloch found a way to dominate liches thru their phylacteries. And an idea I've been playing with is for one lich to plant a tainted method of attaining lichdom -- a method that leaves the newly-created lich under the control of the one who planted the lichdom technique.

And I'd assume some of the liches are willing servants. Occasionally acting on behalf of someone who lets you do your own thing and provides you with not only his own formidable abilities but with 60 ally liches, isn't a bad deal.

Wasn't the Arch Lich( or what ever that flying skull Lich from the shameful saga) a product of a tainted transformation which left him under control of a beholder?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  04:05:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which novel was that shown? Flying skull? I only recall the flying skulls in Skullport, as shown in the Erevis Cale trilgoy.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  04:17:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Plus, it furthers his reach when enacting those "mysterious plans" of his. Especially if the recruited liches come from places/regions that Larloch wouldn't otherwise have easy access.
quote:
Oooh! I like that.

We could suggest that Larloch's mastery of the process of lichdom has ultimately allowed him to devise a method whereby the very process of attaining immortality, was something he sent down himself long ago... and that a fair number of his servitor liches unexpectedly fell into that trap, when they were researching the theories behind lichdom.
quote:
And I'd assume some of the liches are willing servants.
Of course. Larloch isn't without access to potentially limitless resources which he can conveniently use to lure willing liches into his path of power. Alternatively, the very promise of further power and mastery over lichdom, could potentially turn even the most resolute servitor lich into serving Larloch's wishes.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000