Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Top 50 Spellcasters "Alive" In Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  00:44:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. That's what got me thinking about her again.

You always know where to pique my Realmslore interest Steven.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  16:10:11  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So i guess nobody knows if these NPCS are still alive:

Aesperus: Male Human Lich
Kyristan the Dead King: Male Human Lich
Darien: Male Human
DelRoy Harpell: Male Human Wiz 23
Arconi: Male Human Wiz 30
Akhlaur: Male Human Wiz 30
Baden: Female Human Wiz 31
Kyllyrd: Male Half-Elf
Rhaugilath the Ageless: Male Human Lich Wiz22/Acm5/NA2
Mellomir: Male Human Wiz 27
Nchaser: Male Human Wiz 27

-Arion

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  23:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol you guys are forgetting grumpy ol Robillard....

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  00:29:33  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robillard is no where near these guys hes probably like lvl 14 to 16 at max!
-Arion

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  00:36:10  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you already add the inner circle of the Twisted Rune?

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Brakkart
Acolyte

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  17:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Brakkart's Homepage Send Brakkart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another Dragon to consider for the list, Daurgothoth is a great wyrm black dracolich wizard 20/archmage 5 for a total CR of 50. You can find his stats on page 42 and also 148 of Dragons of Faerun.

Read my blog at: http://tauntonian.blogspot.com Here I post ramblings, book reviews, song lyrics and assorted weirdness.

Check out my "Rise of the Snakemen" Forgotten Realms Story Hour. http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100196
Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  21:41:23  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about that one guy who was "on vacation" (in Kara-Tur?) when Nethril fell? He's like a 36th level mage, 36th level cleric, 36th level monk or SOMETHING oulandish like that in 2E.
Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  21:42:31  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In answer to my own question above (about that 36th level dude) wasn't his name Prismal?
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  01:58:46  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Parzal the Outrageous: Male Human Mnk6/Wiz20/Enlightened Fist10/Netherese Arcanist 3; CR 39 and hes on the list

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  07:19:41  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Akhlaur died in the Kings and Counsellers trilogy and i thought Rhaugilath was destroyed by the rest of the Twisted Rune
Go to Top of Page

Entreri1000
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  11:09:10  Show Profile  Visit Entreri1000's Homepage Send Entreri1000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice. I'd take Larloch over any of them.
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  14:03:45  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know im digging up an old thread her, but i still want to know.
Telamont Tanthul, Lord Shadow, High Prince of Shade: Male Netherese Human Shade Illusionist 7/Shadow Adept 10/Shadowcrafter 13/Archmage 5/Mentalist 5; CR 42

Where exactly did you find these stats?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  15:24:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shandiris

Telamont Tanthul, Lord Shadow, High Prince of Shade: Male Netherese Human Shade Illusionist 7/Shadow Adept 10/Shadowcrafter 13/Archmage 5/Mentalist 5; CR 42

'Tis from the FRCS, is it not?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  15:31:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shandiris

I think those are someones homebrew stats since his official stats are in Lords of Darkness and they aren't what is listed above.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  16:28:19  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope not in FRCS
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  20:36:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks to me like someone thought Telemont needed to be even more powerful than he is already. Cheesy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2007 :  01:21:26  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Larloch really as powerful as people say?

His stats seem fairly low in 3e, and alot of people talk him down in my games as not even a match to some other casters. They claims his power is exclusively an artifact that lets him dominate other liches or something....

Is Telamont as powerful as they say? People really hype him up. Ioulaum is another I hear alot about but know NOTHING about....

Edited by - Firestorm on 17 Jun 2007 01:39:23
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2007 :  14:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

Ioulaum is another I hear alot about but know NOTHING about....

Information about Ioulaum can be found in Lost Empires of Faerun, detailed in the chapter Fallen Netheril -> Oracle of Ellyn'taal. He is one of the few surviving Netherese Arcanists (as is Telamont Tantul), actualy one of the most famous because he was the inventor of the mythalar (and the spell Ioulaum's longevity, of course), but now he is in a state where he is unable to actively participate in day-to-day Faerunian affairs ...

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2007 :  15:19:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

Is Larloch really as powerful as people say?

His stats seem fairly low in 3e, and alot of people talk him down in my games as not even a match to some other casters. They claims his power is exclusively an artifact that lets him dominate other liches or something....

Well, according to Ed, Larloch is pretty much the most powerful spellcaster around. Ed once gave his 2E stats as level 46. And having total, absolute control over 60+ liches -- and keep in mind the level that most spellslinger attain before becoming liches -- is no small thing. While I'm sure he's got many artifacts tucked away, that's not how he controls his liches.

People that talk down Larloch are people that don't know Larloch. I don't think any of the Chosen are a match for him, much less anyone else.

Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2007 :  18:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I don't think any of the Chosen are a match for him

Just to nitpick: Silverfire.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  02:45:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ladejarl

quote:
I don't think any of the Chosen are a match for him

Just to nitpick: Silverfire.

Yes, silver fire is very powerful and a huge advantage. But there is a whole hell of a lot more to a spellduel than who can hurl the most powerful magic.

Do you really think a spellslinger who is more than 1500 years old is going to let himself get into a one-on-one duel? And that, even if he does, he doesn't have all sorts of contingencies in place -- like summoning a dozen of his servitor liches while teleporting out of there?

You don't exist for that long, and gather that much raw power, without learning a thing or two about how to handle yourself in a scrap. I'm not saying he could easily dust off Elminster... But if for some inexplicable reason the two were to wind up slinging spells at one another, I know which one I'd be betting on.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  23:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do you really think a spellslinger who is more than 1500 years old is going to let himself get into a one-on-one duel? And that, even if he does, he doesn't have all sorts of contingencies in place -- like summoning a dozen of his servitor liches while teleporting out of there?

And of course, such a battle would (likely) be on Larloch's own turf.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  23:56:57  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While we are on the topic. Is any Cleric out there a match for a high level 40+ wizard? I always hear about how badass the high level wizards are, but NEVER see clerics with 40+ CR.
Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2007 :  08:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage Send Taelohn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I believe that's an older version of the Telamont stats written by Jaerom Darkwind. A newer build (Illusionist 6, Shadowcrafter 19, Shadow Adept 10, Mentalist 5) can be found here:

http://www.dicefreaks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3120

In Lords of Darkness, Telamont is listed as a Wizard 20, Archmage 5, Shadow Adept 10 (but not given full stats).

Jaerom's version may be 5 levels higher, but I think his class choices (with their heavy focus on shadow magic) make more sense.

He also wrote a 46th-level version of Larloch (Wizard 17, Archmage 5, Arcane Lord 19, Variator 5), in keeping with Ed Greenwood's description of the character:

http://www.dicefreaks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=393
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  18:50:12  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are all forgetting The spell lord of Fearûn... Namely Melcar Silverdragon.

15 wizard
5 Arcane Avatar
2 Arch Mage.

He took out Manshoon in 5 rounds.
Go to Top of Page

keijemon
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  20:20:16  Show Profile  Visit keijemon's Homepage Send keijemon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This might be the case of thread necromancy, but since I'm not the one who did it, I'm going to exploit it instead of starting a new thread.

Is Elminster alive? I love that dude. He is one of the most fun characters to have around in a plot. My initial thought was that spellplague would get the chosen (since they are pretty buffed on magic), but then he held Mystra's power in trust and didn't get burned out. So he could handle the whiplash... now how would Mystra's death figure into this?

The greatest trick Ao ever pulled, is convincing Toril he didn't exist.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  00:14:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keijemon

This might be the case of thread necromancy, but since I'm not the one who did it, I'm going to exploit it instead of starting a new thread.

Is Elminster alive? I love that dude. He is one of the most fun characters to have around in a plot. My initial thought was that spellplague would get the chosen (since they are pretty buffed on magic), but then he held Mystra's power in trust and didn't get burned out. So he could handle the whiplash... now how would Mystra's death figure into this?

Want the good news first or the bad??

Good News, El is alive. But not well.

Bad news.....no way in the abyss does he make the top 50 anymore since he cannot risk using his magic anymore. Due in part to his worsening insanity and in part to his magic can and does go horribly wrong if attempted.

A quote from Ed at GenCon "The spellplague ravaged many things.......including Elminsters mind."

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 28 Aug 2008 00:15:28
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  00:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Bad news.....no way in the abyss does he make the top 50 anymore since he cannot risk using his magic anymore. Due in part to his worsening insanity and in part to his magic can and does go horribly wrong if attempted.

A quote from Ed at GenCon "The spellplague ravaged many things.......including Elminsters mind."

"The Old Sage is no less intelligent, experienced, and quick-witted than before" and "retains his immortality and considerable arcane power." FRCS, Cordell, Greenwood, and Sims, p. 113.

From what I've read in the "Ask Ed" topic, it sounds like we'll be hearing more.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  00:44:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

quote:

"The Old Sage is no less intelligent, experienced, and quick-witted than before" and "retains his immortality and considerable arcane power." FRCS, Cordell, Greenwood, and Sims, p. 113.

From what I've read in the "Ask Ed" topic, it sounds like we'll be hearing more.

Wow, another glaring contradiction from the FRCS!

Ed said that anything El says or has ever said cannot be trusted as his insanity started well before the spellplague.
Also he said he would be delightful to spend an evening meal or cup of tea with as long as nobody did anything that would even come close to prompting El to use his magic as it could/would have catastrophic effects for all!

And that how I read tha ask Ed as well, I hope it happens!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  01:05:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

quote:

Also he said he would be delightful to spend an evening meal or cup of tea with as long as nobody did anything that would even come close to prompting El to use his magic as it could/would have catastrophic effects for all!
I don't really see that as a contradiction, though. Elminster can still retain his "considerable arcane power" in the post-Spellplague period. He just can't use it for fears of the "catastrophic effects" and the like.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000