Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Secrets of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  01:51:44  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
I'll be making my notes on here soon, perhaps later tonight. Going to have some dinner here shortly and write up from Secrets, among other things.

But, I will go ahead and state that Kuje's question was not answered yesterday before the end of the event. He, me, or anyone else know way knew for sure that if it was acknowledged or not, simply because there was laughter between the panel after it was said, and no answer afterwards.

Untill later.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  01:54:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Okay,

So I'm mostly done with gencon for the weekend except for Spin the Yarn tomorrow. However, it's time for some Secrets. This is long, so bare with me here and I'll probably not check this thread till morrow. The panel was Ed, Eric Boyd, and a WOTC employee to oversee.

5) I'm just going to say gratz to Brian for his timeline and let him, if he reads this, answer that! Rock man! So gratz!

This intrigues me. What's going on with Brian's splendid timeline?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  02:07:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Maybe he is going to get paid for it?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  02:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
I'm quite happy to see more adventures for the Realms. That they're to be lore filled to some degree is like icing on the cake for me.

I think if we got 'just lore' and no crunch to make it playable...well that would be a boring read for a sourcebook and a throwback to the 'lore filled but not very usable' game books of yore.

For me and my players it's better to experience the Realms than to just read about them.

That said I'll not begrudge my fellow scribes who'd like nothing better than to sit in a cozy chair by the fire and have a good read. Someday, someday...

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  02:42:43  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
quote:
think if we got 'just lore' and no crunch to make it playable...well that would be a boring read for a sourcebook and a throwback to the 'lore filled but not very usable' game books of yore.

Why precisely is a book all about the world unusable in a game set in said world? *Blinks* I've always found such books infinitely more usable when planning out character history, background, goals, family, past adventures, familial/clan grudges and alliances, trade minglings, knowledge of local flora and fauna, etc.

I'm not trying to be contrary, I'm genuinely confused. Do you not find such books useful?

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  03:09:32  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message
Ironically i enjoy those books that combine enough lore for me to enjoy them as kinda novelish, and enough crunch to enjoy making future characters. It is hard to find that balance though. Of course i perfer more lore to crunch due to the fact that i can always make my own crunch!

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  03:11:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
RSE appear to be loosely defined at best, whi cares if Lolth becamame a greater deity (it does not effect game play, but was listed as an RSE).

Great events tend to provide a there to write about, the Orc Hoard in an organised army providing a call for heroes (The PCs to aid the fight against). A source book certainly can provide adventure hooks, and many of them provided fluff as it is. Do we realy care Volo was turned into a toard for a few years?

There basic question I would ask would be how much a change of balance fluff (which often is also lore) will superceed "facts" of the Realms?

The change might not be as dire as feared. Until seeing products of course we can not judge the stated policy change of sails.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  03:24:09  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Well, Kuje basically covered everything but I'd give a quick run down of a couple of minor things. this is all my opinion if I say anything offensive-sounding here, it's simply because it's my opinion.

1. Thousand Page Books where talked about that would really detail such places as Waterdeep, Silverymoon, etc.etc. Chris, the WOTC fellow, had asked about "Would you buy a thosand page book talking about Waterdeep?" after a GenCon member had asked about something of that form. The panel discussed it with us and it eventually led to the question, the entire room raised their hands up. He then asked, "Would you buy one of Silverymoon?", everyone again basically raised their hands up. Now, this is when I personally noticed he had rolled his eyes at us like to the effect of 'Your full of it.' or something.

2. It was said that the new Drittz novels would give a hint to what is to come for the Realms. This could be a good thing or a bad thing for us I think, but I really can't make a stone decesion on that.

3. No Sourcebooks that talk about, discuss, and explain things like the Crusade featured in Last Mythall series for example wont likely ever come about..They where basically said that they wouldn't sell.

4. RPG/Novel teams have been merged to better them selves we where told.

5. Things that you mail into Wizards for Forgotten Realms (Ie: Stories, novels, etc.) are trashed.

Alright. So, now I have to state some other things. Eric, Kuje was plain and simply ignored when he had his hand up. I was sitting right beside him and I know the three of you had seen us, simply because I seen all three of you look at our direction several times during the time he had his hand up. Several other people where addressed first before him, even though these people had there hands up for a shorter amount of time.

I know that you or Ed have no control on who Chris chose, and I'm not trying to make them seem like any sort of "Bad Eric! Bad Ed!" sort of thing, I like you as an author (and Him) very well and you where very nice fellow after our failed meeting, so please dont take any of this the wrong way. But Kuje simpley did not have his questioned answered. There was a joke made, which I forget exactly what it was, and the statement from Chris "We have time for one more question from there in the back". He was ignored, and only got his question asked because I had raised my hand knowing fair well that he would go towards me. Surprise, surprise, he did. Let alone it was the "no no, the blonde boy" there, which means to me he knew Kuje had his hand raised. It felt to me that Chris had no real interest, and had less interest in talking to Kuje or hearing questions from him.

Besides this, there wasn't much exciting things in Secrets of the Realms, nto that I would call the above exciting. I was very disapointed after he had called on me and not Kuje. With that, you guys know what we had experinced and all the useful notes we took. Other questions where just questions that have been asked here on Keep before and have been answered properly here as well.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 13 Aug 2006 03:28:16
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  03:33:12  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Saddening, but believable.

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  03:35:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

3. No Sourcebooks that talk about, discuss, and explain things like the Crusade featured in Last Mythall series for example wont likely ever come about..They where basically said that they wouldn't sell.

Well, I think that's wonderful. I don't think the "crusade" deserves it's own sourcebook.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  03:45:02  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
I will be a good boy and keep my mouth shut; but not so good as to not post anything at all. I embrace my immaturity. ;)

*clings to Rino in sympathy.*

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  04:21:25  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
I have to join the not interested in adventures party here.

quote:

Originally posted by Sanishiver
I think if we got 'just lore' and no crunch to make it playable...well that would be a boring read for a sourcebook and a throwback to the 'lore filled but not very usable' game books of yore.

Those were the kind of books that were useful for me. Adventures and an overflow of rules material was not useful to me at any point of my gaming, and this is what to me personally, makes for a boring and uninspiring read.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  04:27:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Okay,

So I'm mostly done with gencon for the weekend except for Spin the Yarn tomorrow. However, it's time for some Secrets. This is long, so bare with me here and I'll probably not check this thread till morrow. The panel was Ed, Eric Boyd, and a WOTC employee to oversee.

5) I'm just going to say gratz to Brian for his timeline and let him, if he reads this, answer that! Rock man! So gratz!

-- George Krashos

George,

Kentinal wins with his guess. :) So, aye, I'll give it away and I hope Brian doesn't mind. WOTC has bought the timeline basically, they are going to add parts to it and other material to it, and then print it as a sourcebook.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  04:43:37  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

1. Thousand Page Books where talked about that would really detail such places as Waterdeep, Silverymoon, etc.etc. Chris, the WOTC fellow, had asked about "Would you buy a thosand page book talking about Waterdeep?" after a GenCon member had asked about something of that form. The panel discussed it with us and it eventually led to the question, the entire room raised their hands up. He then asked, "Would you buy one of Silverymoon?", everyone again basically raised their hands up. Now, this is when I personally noticed he had rolled his eyes at us like to the effect of 'Your full of it.' or something.

Well I don't think really it's about whether people in that room would buy it (all big enough fans to go to a panel about FR), rather whether people outside the room would buy it.

And about adventures
I like adventures, especially lore filled ones (well at least if they're good well written adventures, insert nasty comment about MotM here), but I'd not want an adventure in place of a source book.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  05:02:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay,

-- George Krashos

George,

Kentinal wins with his guess. :) So, aye, I'll give it away and I hope Brian doesn't mind. WOTC has bought the timeline basically, they are going to add parts to it and other material to it, and then print it as a sourcebook.

That's awesome... Brian must be ecstatic.

And it's certainly well deserved. I just hope that "add parts to it" consists of more Realmslore, and not feats, skills or PrCs that WotC think could work with the timeline material.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  05:58:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay,

-- George Krashos

George,

And it's certainly well deserved. I just hope that "add parts to it" consists of more Realmslore, and not feats, skills or PrCs that WotC think could work with the timeline material.

It didn't sound like more feats, skills, prcs, etc. They said he was missing some dates and they were going to fix that and add some other material to it. I didn't write it all down but, as I said, doesn't snd like more mechanics. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  06:15:19  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message
That's good. I'll definitely buy it as it's one of the online resources for FR I reference most. Just getting it in paper form without changes would be fine with me. But of course if the designers decide to add more lore to it, then that's awesome as well.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 13 Aug 2006 06:15:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  06:19:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay,

-- George Krashos

George,

It didn't sound like more feats, skills, prcs, etc. They said he was missing some dates and they were going to fix that and add some other material to it. I didn't write it all down but, as I said, doesn't snd like more mechanics. :)

That is really cool! Brian deserves it, with all the hard work he's put into the timeline.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  06:20:41  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

That's good. I'll definitely buy it as it's one of the online resources for FR I reference most. Just getting it in paper form without changes would be fine with me. But of course if the designers decide to add more lore to it, then that's awesome as well.

Let's just hope that Eric and George will be on the team of this product...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  06:21:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

Same here. I've been referring to it for years, and I think I was one of the first people to mention it on this site. Failing to share a wonderful resource like that is just wrong.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  06:24:02  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message
It's also nice for one of the hardworking scribes who toil to make Faerûn more readily available to all of us to be rewarded at last. But ah, maybe I am getting ahead of myself. It's just a rumor right?

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  07:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Why precisely is a book all about the world...
Will reply by PM.

-J-

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  07:09:22  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Alright, Sani. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  11:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:

George,

Well met

That's absolutely fantastic news! Congratulations, Brian, i'm over the moon for thee

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  11:35:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

Congrats Brian

But does this mean there wont be any more updates to A Grand History of the Realms? (Not including the source book)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  12:54:32  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Oh, I'm glad your all talking about that. If i remember correctly, and I could be wrong as I've not finished my coffee yet, I believe that they hinted also to things in side the timeline "Coffee Table book" also, like, again, things to come.

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  12:54:32  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message
Brian's timeline has been invaluable, priceless, and worth its weight in gold to me. My campaign planning has been so smooth that I am able to figure out a general idea of where popular NPC's are during any given time, what bad guys no longer exist at certain times, what cities where destroyed/in chaos. The list goes on and on. Brian has created a masterpiece. Check and Mate! (I just wanted to say that.)

Brian, you are my hero. In fact I will put down on my timeline (actually your timeline , I just printed it off) that Master Scribe Brian creates timeline for the Realms 1374 DR. 1375 DR Brian rocks the Casbah at GenCon with Realms timeline. Thanks for ther hard work Brian.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  12:57:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Just to be clear, Brian's timeline as a sourcebook is not a rumor. They are publishing it next year.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  17:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message
At this point I'm not exactly sure what I can and cannot say. Signing NDAs and such is still a new experience for me.

In any event, I'm glad many of you have enjoyed the chronology over the years. It has been a labor of love and I'm thrilled that WotC has seen value in it as well.

As to continuing updates of the timeline Dargoth... I'll have to get back with you on that one.

Also, If I'm lucky I'll be able to sneak a canon reference to the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen into the product

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  19:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message
With a new history book and no less than three adventure tomes, 2007 sounds like a splendid year.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000