Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How do you use Elans in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  02:34:08  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay i know that Elans are not standard and have not been placed in the realms but i was wondering how you view the Elans in the Realms or how you think they should be placed in the Realms. I recently asked this same question in the Wizards boards, however i usually get better feed back as a whole on this site so i am repeating the question. Thanks in advance, oh sages.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  03:55:45  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you already got the gist of my reply, Raven... ;)

Linking them to Jhaamdath would be best. I think it would be cool if it was still a small group that perhaps went into temporal stasis of a sort when the Elves' waters destroyed the empire - but POWERFUL ones, perhaps high-teens and maybe an Epic or two... Trying to bring back their empire, after recently having been reawakened.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:26:13  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay now i like that approach their gothicdan! i mean i could buy that the recently awoke from perhaps astral realms, or seeds perhaps. And have only been active as long as the time of troubles and all. The attempt to rebuild their realm would be a good idea, and before anyone nay says it Myth Drannor is back, and Blackstaff brought back oogles of people of power, and freed a city, so why not the Return of Jhaamdath at least one city that is, after all Shade came back......

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:28:05  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well.. I ignore Myth Drannor's return, and Miyeritar being semi-restored is really a very slow thing, and more powerful people were actually destroyed (Khelben himself, a 28th level Wizard, and Ulair was a 29th+ level wizard) then brought back. :)

But, it's just an option.... I got tired of the "ancient magical cities coming back" after Shade (which sucked). An "ancient psionic city" is different. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:39:50  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll give you that a anchient psionic city is different and cool cause they probably aren't expected in the Mage magic dominated Realms, not to mention it makes sense with their god stirring, and all.

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:41:22  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I thought the Jhaamdath concept rocked, can u imagine not one but twelve psionic cities. They probably could have kicked illithid tushy from this side of Faerun to ummm. . . Kara Tur?
Yeah the magical city concept has gotten old. . . especially since the various Myths and floating cities of Netheril. It would also have been a well unique experience to be in a city where at least half the population was psionically active
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:46:39  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well not only psionically active i mean the greater psions are psions, and Endurites, and wilders, while the weaker ones are psionic warriors, and lurkers. I mean even the priests could be mantle using psions. Now imagine the city is partially on the Astral plane, and you have all kinds of fun. Sure you have to worry about illithids, but who doesn't!

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:51:49  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I REALLY like illithids. In any game I play in, or campaign I make, Illithids are the primary psionic evil-doers. In my home campaign, they hold pretty much the key to all psionics on the continent, with a few VERY rare wild talents peaking up here and there, and there was also a former Psionic Thri-Keen Empire which eventually fell (in part due to the Illithids' machinations) to their slaves, the Manscorpions, who carried out a sort of Darwinistic rebellion to overthrow their 'weakened' masters.

In other words.. I <3 Illithids.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:58:47  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the first FR game i played in psionics were not involved but illitids were they were basically superior mages and psions. I think they are more dangerous than beholders but that is just me! :D

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  05:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah but at present the illthids are well more weird than cool, especially right now since they haven't gone on any real major conflicts yet. What would be an eye-opener is if the Githzerai or Githyanki for some reason or another (insert imagination here please) somehow got into a large-scale conflict with the Illithids. . . that would break out some massive buckets of whoop ass especially if one of the underdark races or the last city of shanatar decided to join in
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  01:15:41  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or it would be cool if the illithids tried to conquer something above ground though, or Skullport. I mean Illithids are so interesting especially when they go on an attack! I have been playing around with the idea of the Elans and how Jhaamdath handled them recently. I mean since they don't have but vauge memories of their past, could it have been used as some type of criminal rehabilitation process? Or perhapse for those that could not get over some great tragity or something i mean imagine you lost your love of your life and didn't want to go on, become an Elan instead of suicide, it has possibilities. Although it is probabbly not probable.

Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  12:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also note the elans may remember that the drowning the city was elves fumble in high magic, so some of them may seek revenge upon elven high mages for pay back (altough elan council woould not approve it likely).
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  21:10:06  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Elves' High Magic Ritual to destroy Jhaamdath was an accident?

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  14:25:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

The Elves' High Magic Ritual to destroy Jhaamdath was an accident?

no it wasn't...it was deliberate

under that scenario I would use that human-like race in the Stormwrack book and give them the pherenic (sp?) template...

If I remember right the Elan are immortal...if so I would use the Elan similar to the Surkh...ancient psionists from Jamdath...

I would also put the Elan onto another continent...have them the survivors of Jhaamdath who fled from Faerun from the elves...maybe have them have a genocidal hatred of the elves for destroying their culture and almost killing their god

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  15:28:59  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i would have them scatter, like one clan to an area, send them all over the realms as a way to safe guard them ever experiancing the same type of event again. Also i believe they would have created safeguards in place like say psionic portals to wisk them to Astral, safehouses, or fortresses if you would in case local disasters struck. How many clans do you feel there should be, i think that the Auppenser story line makes 6 - 7 the appropriate number, although the Jhaamdath cities would make it possible for 12 cities and 12 clans.
I think that they should have a new specialization class like the ArchWizard, for the psions of Jhaamdath and especially the Elans due to their immortality, call it the ArchPsion as per third eye's articles and update it a bit and that could work.
How i would do the whole Elven/Elan thing is that those Elans from Jhaamdath and created in the receint aftermath of the High Magic, would be anti-elven, but some would probabbly move on, i mean you to have to remeber that while they might be bitter still and untrusting of elves not all would be rabidly anti-elven. Of course that said there would be some that would never forgive the elves and would activly attack them. But i would have the newer formed Elans as the more elf friendly of the Elans most likely. Of course the Elans could see the Elves as another reason for their Secrecy policy, in fact it could be the reason for the policy.

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  17:20:09  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay guess this discussion died, darn an it was going so well. I was wondering how many clans of Elans for FR you think there should or would be. I was thinking 6 or 12 (6 psionic disicplines, or 12 cities of Jhaamdath.).

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  17:30:46  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say 12...

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  17:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

no it wasn't...it was deliberate

under that scenario I would use that human-like race in the Stormwrack book and give them the pherenic (sp?) template...

If I remember right the Elan are immortal...if so I would use the Elan similar to the Surkh...ancient psionists from Jamdath...

I would also put the Elan onto another continent...have them the survivors of Jhaamdath who fled from Faerun from the elves...maybe have them have a genocidal hatred of the elves for destroying their culture and almost killing their god

You could use them as a secret society. They are, in all aspects, humans in appearance. So, you could use them as ancient survivors of the fall of Jaamdhat. Some of them can be in hybernation, others can be mixed in some Faerûnian country, making secret gatherings, and working to preserve the true about themselves and to preserve the history of old Jaamdath.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  17:39:54  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm. Or perhaps combine the ideas...

Make them like the Twisted Rune. Say 12 Elan Psions, one from each city, survived, and went into 'hibernation' in an Astral state. And only recently have they awakened, and are funding secret Psionic societies across Faerun...

That? That's Faerunian style, right there, baby. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  17:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And put the players to wonder why the village cobbler, the hunter, the member of the militia, the wife of the elder, and some other members of "insert place name here" are doing, gathering all first day of each tenday, in that abandoned warehouse.

Spooooooooooooky!

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 17 Aug 2006 17:55:26
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  18:40:21  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehehe.

Good old D&D adventure, with psionic intrigue thrown in.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  18:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

And put the players to wonder why the village cobbler, the hunter, the member of the militia, the wife of the elder, and some other members of "insert place name here" are doing, gathering all first day of each tenday, in that abandoned warehouse.

Spooooooooooooky!

I like the idea but my players are too cany for the "whole village closes down and the villagers gather at one secret spot" trick..it's a classic but also too obvious...

I would have the whole village dominated...so their alignments still appear good/neutral...that have them attack as a mob a la Resident Evil 4

Thats how I did that old adventure SE of Shadowdale in the old For Draconomicon book (the Green dragon one)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  19:09:21  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heheh, that was not exactly my idea.

My point is that not the whole village, only some few, are elans and/or new psions, gathering to share knowledge, advance agendas, etc. They don´t need to be antagonists of the players (well, the players don´t need to know this ). But the players should have the oportunity to "stumble upon" that little mysterie, and start to wonder what is happening. Heh, better than all if one of the players is a psion and member os this group.. things will start to grow very interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  20:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
heh heh, am I the only one who saw this topic and thought "why would Elan be there, they have enough bards!" and was thinking of the Order of the Stick.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  20:14:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

heh heh, am I the only one who saw this topic and thought "why would Elan be there, they have enough bards!" and was thinking of the Order of the Stick.

This was the most hilarious thing that happened in weeks, for me. I burst in laughing here in the job after read that...
And now, I´m looking again in all the thread with "Stick´s eyes"
Hilarious.

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  23:50:49  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah i love the idea of you never know who could be an elan, and i think there could be many of them among 'us' especially in the reach i mean thats where any awakened elans from Jhaamdath would have interest, unless they were interested in Calimiport as well i mean they did have a few wars and all......

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  03:04:34  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting question for you all how would you structure the clans?

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  20:58:45  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have each city have a Clan, and then within each city, there would be 6 'Tribes' or 'Families,' for each of the types of Psion. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  22:48:39  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

Yeah i love the idea of you never know who could be an elan, and i think there could be many of them among 'us' especially in the reach i mean thats where any awakened elans from Jhaamdath would have interest, unless they were interested in Calimiport as well i mean they did have a few wars and all......

The "vs Calimshan" idea is cool...kinda like pick up where they left off :) maybe trying to take back the southern Vilhon Reach too...and in the Sea of Stars it states there are still surviving Jhaamdath city ruins there

quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

Interesting question for you all how would you structure the clans?

quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I would have each city have a Clan, and then within each city, there would be 6 'Tribes' or 'Families,' for each of the types of Psion. :)

I wouldn't go with the "one clan per city" thing nor the "one clan per psionic "school" thing...And I'm sorry but I think that is a pretty old and somewhat cheesy idea...in the same way as "we have a surviving evil netherese flying city so we need to bring in a good one" kind of way

The only reason why I think Thay got away with that in the first place was due to each schools in lethal competition of eachother for rulership of the country...

if you had to do the city:clan thing I would do the "they fled from Faerun" think and give them their own kingdom/continent on the other side of Toril (which also reminds me a bit of the Wheel of Time series). How many cities were there? and with six sub-clans per city? It would take an aweful lot of Elan to pull that off

If you plan to make them a secret power group in Faerun than only 1 clan made up of survivors from all the city states...and then maybe a network of secret psionic academies hidden in the old Jhaamdath region...cause there is no place like home

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  23:41:16  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay so your saying one clan, made up of the survivors from the other clans, with some interesting politics i would say i mean if you live technically forever wouldn't you have some interesting politics. Glad you like the 'vs Calimport' idea. I would say that they would probabbly be anti illithid as well i mean who do you think has most of the lore from Jhaamdath. Oh and i have mixed ideas on how they would relate to elves.

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  01:02:04  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know i was thinking they wouldn't really go with a clan thing at all they would in my opinion develop more akin to the Illithids, what with instead of clans, they would utilized creeds or belief systems. Although i would think that they might be a bit more socially active than the squidheads. Also i would say that the Elans would probabbly have a special relations ship to their sire's to steal the concept from some vampire lore that is. Although those are just my opinions on the subject, also they would probabbly despise the Illithids who are stealing their lore, ie inheritance from Jhaamdath.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000