Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How do you use Elans in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aelf
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  05:45:36  Show Profile Send Aelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just my 2cp:

If you're allowing PC Elans (or don't want to be a completely Evil DM), you might wish to reconsider the Elan's type (Abberation) as Alter Self would be a very powerful Level 2 spell - even given its limitation of 5HD.

Regards,
Aelf, a bard of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  20:19:35  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay Aelf that made no sense to me at all.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Aelf
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  23:49:57  Show Profile Send Aelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

Okay Aelf that made no sense to me at all.

Here's the issue as I see it:

Alter Self (Brd/Sor/Wiz2, I'm not sure if Psionic types get something similar) gives the size, mundane movement (to a limit of 120' flying or 60' nonflying), natural armor, natural weapons, racial skill bonuses and feats of another creature of your type not exceeding 5HD or your caster level (whatever is lower) for 10 minutes/level.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm

Most characters are of the Humanoid type. Alter Self isn't normally a big deal. A Trog is about the most useful combat form since it has a +6 natural armor bonus. Other humanoids are great for impersonation/etc.

Since Elans are Abberations, they have quite a diffrent list. Just from the 3.5 MM, they can Alter Self into a carrion crawler, choker, ethereal filcher, ettercap, gibbering mouther, grick, rust monster or skum.

Even though most special attacks, special qualities, and extraordinary abilities don't carry over, it's probably not what comes to mind when you envision an Elan casting Alter Self.

Finally, it is a personal spell which means that a familiar (as long as it remains within 5') can also benefit. When considering the shock value, a level 3 Elan wizard could transform himself and his familiar into adjacent Rust Monsters ...

I hope this makes sense of my earlier post.

P.S. I pray you folks don't interpret this message as Aelf == Crunch Monkey/Munkin. I just sit at the table with a few.

Regards,
Aelf, a bard of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  15:38:00  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay Aelf i get what your saying now. I hadn't thought of that to be honest as i don't think most Elans would take Wizardry being a psionically active creature but ...... the possiblities are still there.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  15:54:47  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are Elans???

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  15:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

What are Elans???

they are a PC race from the psionics handbook..

imagine a human going through a ritual to be reborn (but with no memory of their past life at all) as a highly psionic, immortal (as in the don't age, not indestructable) race resembling a human...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  16:00:55  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#elans
here are their stats if you are interested Mace.

Go to Top of Page

Gwaeren Tiliano
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  23:14:02  Show Profile  Visit Gwaeren Tiliano's Homepage Send Gwaeren Tiliano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what the holy symbol of Auppenser looks like?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  00:29:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gwaeren Tiliano

Does anyone know what the holy symbol of Auppenser looks like?

From Ed Bonny's write-up here at Candlekeep [see the '05 'Great Sages' reply file] -

"Symbol: An eye centered within a hexagonally shaped gem"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  06:16:17  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got big plans for them in the upcoming Class Chronicles: Psionics articles.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  15:35:45  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh thats good to hear Eytan Bernstein I like your work. I would love to see more of Auppenser, psionics and Jhaamdath in the realms. I mean i think the creation of this deity by Ed Bonny rocks and I hope you consult him, or he gets to detail it more. Reguardless i am looking forward to your article.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  21:57:30  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

Oh thats good to hear Eytan Bernstein I like your work. I would love to see more of Auppenser, psionics and Jhaamdath in the realms. I mean i think the creation of this deity by Ed Bonny rocks and I hope you consult him, or he gets to detail it more. Reguardless i am looking forward to your article.

There will indeed be more on all of those things.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2007 :  03:58:58  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has been posted about the Elan's as well as the Blues, and teh Duergar.

Article

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000