Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Here, Have a question.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
Acolyte

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  20:56:33  Show Profile  Visit OMeGA_FReaKY_7's Homepage Send OMeGA_FReaKY_7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all, I'm new here, and I know this sucks when new users ask this question. What follows and what doesn't. I would like to jump into the Drizzit books, all of them, and the war of the spider queen. Do I have to read anything else and is there a list of the order of books to read. I really want to jump into FR but don't know where to start! Thanks!

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  21:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Drizzt books are pretty self-contained - you can read them without any other Realms knowledge and not be lost. War of the Spider Queen - I'd read the Drizzt ones first - particularly the first couple trilogies.

Drizzt Series in Chronological order:

Dark Elf Trilogy:
Homeland
Exile
Sojourn

Icewind Dale Trilogy:
The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
The Halfling's Gem

Legacy of the Drow:
The Legacy
Starless Night
Siege of Darkness
Passage to Dawn

Paths of Darkness:
The Silent Blade
The Spine of the World
Sea of Swords

Hunter's Blades Trilogy:
The Thousand Orcs
The Lone Drow
The Two Swords

Several would argue that you should read the Icewind Dale trilogy before the Dark Elf trilogy, as that was the order in which they were published. I'll not weigh in on that decision.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  21:05:49  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If its the Drizzt books that is most tempting to you, that's the ones to read.

There is a list of books with notes on what follows what somewhere here at Candlekeep. If its Drizzt you want the Icewind dale books are the first written but the Dark elf trilogy is sett earlier.

As to what else to read, that's more or less up to you, but nothing is mandatory. Some FR books are better liked than others and tastes differ so I hesitate in advising you on what to read after the drow books. If I were to give one recommendation it would be anything by Elaine Cunningham as these fall in good taste with most readers and in many ways give a better picture of the realms than the Salvatore books.

Good luck with your reading.
Go to Top of Page

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
Acolyte

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  22:48:10  Show Profile  Visit OMeGA_FReaKY_7's Homepage Send OMeGA_FReaKY_7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, that clears Drizzit, but what about the rest of Forgotten Realms. Where do I start, or are there many different series. If so, where can I find a good list or info about which is which.

Also, does War of the Spider Queen fall under the same solution with Drizzit?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  22:50:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We do have a sticky'd thread about this here on the novel boards:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4893

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  22:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are indeed many series, about 200 novels and short story collections in all; the Realms is a place of a million interwoven tales and lives. As an addendum to the 'Experienced help for recommending FR Novels' thread, Ed Greenwood's Swords of Eveningstar, published today~! in hardcover, is a new 'first port of call'.

By the way, it's 'Drizzt' (just one i), which is pronounced Drist.
Go to Top of Page

mavericace
Seeker

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  23:36:15  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If ever you need help on what order to read books this link should be able to help.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/frng

It is the Wizards of the Coast book listing and sugested order of reading.
Go to Top of Page

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
Acolyte

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  00:23:26  Show Profile  Visit OMeGA_FReaKY_7's Homepage Send OMeGA_FReaKY_7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One final question. Can War of the Spider Queen be read without reading anything else?

And thanks for the help, it's clear now what I got to read! I know these types of questions are annoying (we get these a lot over at the Dragonlance forums)Thanks for your patience!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  00:28:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OMeGA_FReaKY_7

One final question. Can War of the Spider Queen be read without reading anything else?

And thanks for the help, it's clear now what I got to read! I know these types of questions are annoying (we get these a lot over at the Dragonlance forums)Thanks for your patience!

I think that Spider Queen novels could be read without anything else, aye.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

OMeGA_FReaKY_7
Acolyte

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  01:58:25  Show Profile  Visit OMeGA_FReaKY_7's Homepage Send OMeGA_FReaKY_7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  02:25:21  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can also check out my FR Checklist hosted here at Candlekeep Omega.

http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/frchecklist.zip

Opens in Microsoft Word. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

mavericace
Seeker

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  05:15:59  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do love the Checklist it is a great resorce for the Realms IMO. By the way if ever any updates to the checklist are made I would love to know so I can update mine.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  07:38:49  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I send the updates in when well, I need to start adding stuff to my personal copy lol. I'm kinda lazy about it. Then I send it in the Candlekeep and whenever the next site update is done it usually gets updated. It always gets noted here on the forums and on the site's What's New page.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000