Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Colson *Possible Spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Blah99
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  09:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Blah99's Homepage Send Blah99 a Private Message  Delete Topic
I wonder what Colson will grow up to be. I mean she's gotta be an important kind of character growing up with Drizzt, Catti-Brie, Wulfgar and Bruenor (Hopefully they get her back in the next book)

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  10:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message
not easy to say... My guess would be some kind of magic user. The general group needs a magic user to complete the mix of abilities.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  11:26:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Uh... Considering how slow time in the Realms is, compared to the real world, that means 20 more years of Drizzt books, at least, while we wait for her to be old enough to adventure. And that, quite frankly, scares me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  11:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Folks, let's consider this for a moment. Wulfgar is in his thirties, he'll be approaching 50 when Colson comes of age...by that time he sure ain't going on adventures anymore.

By the time she becomes an adult the only person still capable of adventuring, at least agewise, will be Drizzt.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  13:09:56  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Uh... Considering how slow time in the Realms is, compared to the real world, that means 20 more years of Drizzt books, at least, while we wait for her to be old enough to adventure. And that, quite frankly, scares me.

Likewise. I don't think any author's capable of writing about the same characters over and over and over -- for over twenty years -- and keep them interesting. (Well, Terry Pratchett, but he actually writes about new characters. And give existing ones meaningful development. Gosh.) The Drizzt books self-regurgitate and stagnate enough as it is; I shudder to think how stale they'd be in twenty years' time. By that point, you could probably use the plots and characters to grow several colonies of fungi and bacteria.

Edited by - Winterfox on 31 Jul 2006 13:12:05
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  16:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message
Try and approach it from a different angle. Humor me and lets pretend that the story develops (books written or not). How could you see the Colson character evolve with the present surroundings and other aspects of influence on an infant. Leave the criticism of the Drizzt books (gods know that there is to many cheap shots at them as it is) and focus on the question of the thread and the FICTIVE development of the colson character.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  17:14:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

Try and approach it from a different angle. Humor me and lets pretend that the story develops (books written or not). How could you see the Colson character evolve with the present surroundings and other aspects of influence on an infant. Leave the criticism of the Drizzt books (gods know that there is to many cheap shots at them as it is) and focus on the question of the thread and the FICTIVE development of the colson character.

I don't see how we can answer this question... Leaving aside the fact that some feel RAS doesn't develop characters, how can we predict what's going to happen in the Realms in 20 years? Unless you're going to drop Colson on an isolated island, she's is going to be affected by upcoming developments in the Realms -- and we've no idea what those developments are. Heck, for all we know, WotC is planning on killing off Drizzt at the end of the next trilogy. I'm not saying it's likely, but we don't know. So we can't make any predictions on what influences will affect her, because we don't know what influences are going to be around to affect her.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Jul 2006 17:18:27
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  22:50:40  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message
As the other posters have mentioned, this is a nearly impossible question to answer. First, the next trilogy will being and probably end when Colson is still an infant/small child. Secondly, RAS's has stated that he would like to take breaks from Drizzt. So, one would assume that their will be at least two books after the trilogy is completed (hopefully--those two books will focus on Jarlaxle and Zak's pre-Homeland days--as the author has hinted at in his interactive threads at RAS.com).

So, after RoTP, a trilogy, and two subsequent novels the first books that could possibly have Colson as a teenager would be seven years from now (i.e. Salvatore publishes one book per year).

Nevertheles, I will offer a crazy guess: Colson becomes the proud owner of a brothel in Chult.

Carthago delenda est.

Edited by - Ignorance Personified on 31 Jul 2006 22:51:16
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  00:48:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ignorance Personified
Nevertheles, I will offer a crazy guess: Colson becomes the proud owner of a brothel in Chult.

You sir, are brilliant. I say we call this one solved
Go to Top of Page

Akukakk
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  05:22:13  Show Profile  Visit Akukakk's Homepage Send Akukakk a Private Message
if she does grow up to be an adventurer, she would probably be like catti-brie or even wulfgar himself. That would be if she doesn't have an inclination for magic, then she could lean either way. though both wulfgar and catti woudn't be adventuring b/c of there age, and maybe the wee little halfing (forgot his age). so it would be bruenor, drizzt, gwen, and colson who would be on the road.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  05:31:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Alright, with all due respect, to those that think Colson would grow up to become an arcane spellcaster of somekind . . . from what influence? None of the dwarves of Mithril Hall appear to have any arcane talent (in fact there seems to be few divine casters among them). Wulfgar, Catti-brie, "uncle" Drizzt, "grampy" Bruenor, and Regis have no arcane skills to pass on.

Given the usual cast of characters this would leave perhaps Bidderdoo or Harkle Harpell . . . to borrow a phrase from Khelben in Blackstaff, I wouldn't trust them to cast a fishing line, let alone take on an apprentice.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  08:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
We are talking about an infat/small child... why do we even bother?

I doubt any author would jump that far ahead into the future? Unless, Colson is abducted by a chronomancer, taken into the future to study under Telemont Tanthul of course... and then take her back in time to join up with Drizzt and gang...and then, knowing Salvatore's loving detail to character development, they all would of course not deal with Colson's psychiological crisis until she follows her "father's" path to alcoholism, becomes drinking buddies with Pikel Bouldershoulder and then saves herself by becoming a druid...

Um...I don't think so...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Blah99
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  08:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Blah99's Homepage Send Blah99 a Private Message
Theres always Alustriel at Silverymoon, Elminster, Khelban of Waterdeep and Luskan for Colson to learn magic.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  08:50:09  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
I was just listing likely recurring characters. You make a good point with Alustriel, if Drizzt has any influence over the child (though she wouldn't likely be a day to day influence unless the group moved to Silverymoon or Alustriel chose to run the Silver Marches from Mithril Hall). However, I don't know why Elminster or Khelben would even be in the mix, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to remand the child over to Arkleem Greeth for any kind of training . . . the Hosttower doesn't exactly seem like a friendly acadamy of magic (thouth its likely better than Sorcere).

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 01 Aug 2006 08:51:41
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  10:24:45  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blah99

Theres always Alustriel at Silverymoon, Elminster, Khelban of Waterdeep and Luskan for Colson to learn magic.

Um...why would Khelben or Elminster take on an apprentice that has no magical heritage whatsoever? Just cuz it is the adopted daughter of a person they probably haven't even heard of?
Alustiel? Unlikely, she hasn't taken many apprentices recently, plus she is far too busy with the Silver Marches, especially now with Obould becoming a territorial lord/power.
The Hosttower of the Arcane...are you talking about the lot that has repeatedly tried to disturb the North and that has, on occasion, be thwarted by Drizzt and gang...um...yea, they would most definitely take on the adopted daughter of one of their enemies.

Just because a wizard would round out the muscle-heavy make-up of the companions is by no means a good reason for Colson to become a mage. That is a very illogical assumption. Wulfgar is a barbarian, and as such doen't really trust magic. Why would he send his daughter to study magic?
Besides, as we have repeatedly mentioned before, we are talking about an event that is still at least a dozen years in the future. None of us know what Wizards has in store for us until then, or, for that matter, if the Realms and D&D will still exist in its current form (meaning PRINT) in a decade or two.

Blah99, do yourself a favor and stop thinking game/effectivity-wise, we are talking about prose/novels. Those are two different animals and the companions of the hall have done fairly well without either mage or cleric, which in gameterms is more than unlikely...but as I just said, we aren't talking about powergamers etc but about stories.

Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  10:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message
Fellow sages. Let your imagination fly wild, and give us your thoughts on how the character "can" develop. Hell, set aside the obvious fact that we will never see her grow up and try to think beyond the timespan of the books. I would like to asume that such an impressive collection of great DM's, as we can muster in the great halls of Candlekeep, can give a professional GUESS without worrying about books not yet written or books that surely never will see the light of day. It isnt for nothing that it is called FICTION. It is all made up. So... Make up an answer. It is all we do every day in the world of RPG. We make up an entire world.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  11:11:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Make up an answer.

But that's all that it would be: made up. It's simply too far away to make an effective prediction. We might as well be talking about a random character.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  12:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
quote:
Make up an answer.

Colson will undergo a genderchange, pick up staccato-like singing native to Chult and other southern Realms, and will become rapping and traveling bard named Cool Son!

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  12:32:37  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:

Fellow sages. Let your imagination fly wild, and give us your thoughts on how the character "can" develop. Hell, set aside the obvious fact that we will never see her grow up and try to think beyond the timespan of the books. I would like to asume that such an impressive collection of great DM's, as we can muster in the great halls of Candlekeep, can give a professional GUESS without worrying about books not yet written or books that surely never will see the light of day. It isnt for nothing that it is called FICTION. It is all made up. So... Make up an answer. It is all we do every day in the world of RPG. We make up an entire world.

Why are you so keen on browbeating people who don't care into caring?
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  13:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
quote:
professional GUESS without worrying about books not yet written or books that surely never will see the light of day. It isnt for nothing that it is called FICTION. It is all made up. So... Make up an answer.

Oh another non-professional guess. Non-professional since I do not get paid for this.

Colson excels at the art of seduction. She becomes the Chosen of Sharess and starts a brothel in Mithral Hall, a venture destined to fail for dwarves prefer hammering metal.
Disillusioned she ends up buying several magical mirrors which she uses to broadcast her sensual dances in Sharess's name to various nobles in an effort to raise her deity's prestige. Unfortunately the nobles' spouses do not enjoy her strip-tease shows and it comes to the costly divorces of several important political figures, including, strangely enough, certain Cormyrian nobles, which in turn causes even more political unrest, especially since Azoun V spends all his time in front of the mirror, never leaving his chambers.
After a civil war in Cormyr, in which the Church of Sharess is officially banned and persecuted, Colson decides to have a great artist paint a nude of her, and she becomes the most saught after pin up model in all the Realms...

Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  16:05:43  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Colson excels at the art of seduction. She becomes the Chosen of Sharess and starts a brothel in Mithral Hall, a venture destined to fail for dwarves prefer hammering metal.

Then she will move to Chult and open the largest brothel in the Realms--now it is solved Faramicos.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  16:34:21  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
Geez, I guess you all want to make sure Blah99 never asks another question... the seething hatred for RAS gets old fast. You seem to forget that Drizzt is responsible for bringing legions of new fans to the Realms, so of course many of the newbies on these boards want to talk about Drizzt & Co. Ok, so we're all sick to death of Drizzt, but they aren't. Let them enjoy their part of the Realms as much as we enjoy ours. There's no need to attack folks because their interests are different than yours. Now I'm off my soapbox.

Now let me imagine what could be in store for young Colson. I agree with KEJR, definitely not an arcane caster. I don't see why she would grow up any different than Catti-Brie, a tough girl with a dwarven accent, only maybe she uses her Dad's hammer rather than a bow. I see one day in the future, Drizzt reminiscing about his dead wife Catti-Brie, while adventuring with their two teenage half-drow children, one male and one female, and Colson. Wulfgar and the others have also passed away, but Drizzt tells the children all about the old days, although they rarely go to Mithral Hall anymore. Eventually Drizzt stops adventuring and devotes his life fully to Mielikki, becoming a cleric and high priest. Drizzt's children remain with him. Drizzt's son becomes a ranger while his daughter follows the druidic traditions, both in service of Meilikki. Colson follows her own path and heads north to learn more about her father's people. She feels at home among the barbarian tribes, eventually becomes the first female chieftain.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Edited by - Xysma on 01 Aug 2006 16:40:19
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  16:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

You seem to forget that Drizzt is responsible for bringing legions of new fans to the Realms,

So?

quote:
There's no need to attack folks because their interests are different than yours. Now I'm off my soapbox.

Where's this attack you speak of? All I've seen are posts that either make a joke out of the premise or simply express disinterest. I'm sure that'll traumatize the original poster and stop him/her/it from posting again ever.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  16:56:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
*rolls a d20* I fumbled my attack roll...nah don't wanna attack the poster anyroad, I was just having a ball making up scenarios I could imagine for Colson...she could also inherit Aegis-fang and choose a different surname: and she'd be known as Colson Hammertime!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  17:14:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Geez, I guess you all want to make sure Blah99 never asks another question... the seething hatred for RAS gets old fast. You seem to forget that Drizzt is responsible for bringing legions of new fans to the Realms, so of course many of the newbies on these boards want to talk about Drizzt & Co. Ok, so we're all sick to death of Drizzt, but they aren't. Let them enjoy their part of the Realms as much as we enjoy ours. There's no need to attack folks because their interests are different than yours. Now I'm off my soapbox.

We're not attacking Drizzt or any posters. And we're certainly not discouraging anyone from asking any questions. What we're trying to say is that we simply don't have enough information to make any kind of accurate prediction. Anything we do is pure speculation, and it could all be chucked out the window by a single line in a single short story.

I doubt the folks at WotC know where the Realms is going to be in 20 years. Asking the readers to make that prediction is kind of unreasonable.

Now, if the question had been what fate we wanted to see for her, that would an entirely different matter. That would could answer more readily.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  17:26:13  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand
she'd be known as Colson Hammertime!

Now that's funny.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  02:40:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

We're not attacking Drizzt or any posters. And we're certainly not discouraging anyone from asking any questions. What we're trying to say is that we simply don't have enough information to make any kind of accurate prediction. Anything we do is pure speculation, and it could all be chucked out the window by a single line in a single short story.

Right...and I think this fact has become more and more apparent in recently years, with all the "Realms-shaking event" novels out.

As far as Colson goes, I can't see her becoming a mage of some sort to "round out the party". Why? Because it doesn't seem to me that RAS cares much about having an arcane caster in the party to begin with--if he was, he would not have written over 15 books and stories about Drizzt without a mage--or even a priest--in the party.

And by the way, this is the funniest thread I've read in quite a while.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 02 Aug 2006 02:41:04
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  03:46:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
I appologize if anything I said might have come across as overly critical, but my main point is that arcane magic really isn't a prime part of the Drizzt novels, and is usually only introduced as a quick plot point, not as something that is an ongoing theme with any of the characters. Also, no matter what your opinion on Drizzt and company, Drizzt doesn't have many ties to some of the "big guns" in Faerun . . . the main one being Alustriel.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  15:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Colson could also apprentice to Harkle Harpell. Then she'd become the court-wizard to her "uncle" Bruenor...after she botches her umpteenth truth-spell, flooding Mithral-hall with eels once again, Bruenor decides she could be way more useful to him if she worked for Obould Many-Arrows who gladly accepts the "peace-offering".
The orcs then become the major exporters of fresh eel, smoked eel etc. Obould changes his name from Many-Arrows into Obould Many-Eel. Gruumsh adds a domain to his portfolio "Eels" and thus is also revered by many fishermen along the swordcoast, thus adding to his power. Unfortunately the elves start a propaganda campaign ridiculing Gruumsh, calling him Gruumsh One-Eel.
Gruumsh, outraged at the insult, starts a new assault on Arvandor, flooding the elven heaven with smoked eel. Corellon, appaled by the smell penetrating his realm, adds perfumes to his portfolio to counter the repungent smell, thus angering Sune who always thought she smelled best. Sune in turn adds pointed ears to her portfolio, which results in a massive surge in demand for cosmetic surgery in every major city. Every person, be it small or normal sized, who thinks him- or herself even remotely en vogue, wants to have pointed ears!
The Seldarine, amazingly enough, in conjunction with Lolth, who also hates this new aspect of human fashion, start a massive invasion of ALL elvenkind which will only end when the last of Sune's followers has lost his ears.

And all this was caused by Colson studying magic...

Go to Top of Page

Blah99
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  07:40:59  Show Profile  Visit Blah99's Homepage Send Blah99 a Private Message
Hey why is everyone so mad? I just was voicing my opinion and see what others thought and I 'Should be made sure I never post another question?!' I didn't think there was a right or wrong answer when it came to peoples opinions. Okay if u don't like talking about Drizzt FINE! Im not forcing you to read my thread. And Mace Hammerhand stop being so sarcastic ur not an author for Forgotten Realms so don't tell people that their opinions are wrong I know that Colson will probably not become a mage but I can still talk about what if! Just trying to make that clear.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  07:46:45  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
The thought of Khelben talking Colson as his apprentice is just funny....

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000