Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "Left Behind" readers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  02:17:15  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
When I first decided to embark upon the FR novel universe, I referenced O-Love.net where I found the chronilogical-by-date-published list of the FR books. I decided to read the novels in order by date published and have gone from Darkwalker on Moonshae to Shadow's Witness. (I have made a few exceptions to complete trilogies or other series along the way).

I have loved every minute of my journey (except for Faces of Deception, Council of Blades, and Elminster in Hell). My only complaint is that I can't comment on any of the novels released within the last 3 years. I own them all, but I don't want to read ahead in fear of "spoiling" my realms experience. I'm curious if any other Candlekeep visitors suffer from the same prediciment. I love this website, but I can't read half of the posts because I'm terribly out of date.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: If anyone wants to discuss any novel published in the 1st 15 years of Realms Books, I'll gladly talk it over whit choo all.

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  02:29:02  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What didn't you enjoy about the three novels you listed? What were your three favorite novels?

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  02:32:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the problem at times because I force myself to wait until the whole trilogy is out, if it is a trilogy, before I read it. Except for Ed's novels, those I read even if they are trilogies. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Jul 2006 02:33:08
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  02:37:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I have the problem at times because I force myself to wait until the whole trilogy is out, if it is a trilogy, before I read it. Except for Ed's novels, those I read even if they are trilogies. :)

Same with me... although I include Ed's and Elaine's works here. They are my favorite FR authors, so anything new released under their names -- regardless of whether it is Realms-fiction or not -- I read through the instant I purchase them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  04:07:50  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am with you. Alaundo had for a very short time, a classic's novel thread, but I think he stopped it, due to not enough activity. Start a thread within the novels section and I am sure you will have others who are interested, including myself, who are willing to discuss "any" realms source.. novels or otherwise .
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  04:18:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quajack

When I first decided to embark upon the FR novel universe, I referenced O-Love.net where I found the chronilogical-by-date-published list of the FR books. I decided to read the novels in order by date published and have gone from Darkwalker on Moonshae to Shadow's Witness. (I have made a few exceptions to complete trilogies or other series along the way).

I have loved every minute of my journey (except for Faces of Deception, Council of Blades, and Elminster in Hell). My only complaint is that I can't comment on any of the novels released within the last 3 years. I own them all, but I don't want to read ahead in fear of "spoiling" my realms experience. I'm curious if any other Candlekeep visitors suffer from the same prediciment. I love this website, but I can't read half of the posts because I'm terribly out of date.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: If anyone wants to discuss any novel published in the 1st 15 years of Realms Books, I'll gladly talk it over whit choo all.

I would do a search to see if there was already a thread about some of the older novels that you read. Unlike some sites I have been to, we love to dust off old scrolls here at the keep, and often times, scribes will jump right back into the discussions they were having when the book first came out.

You may want to note in your post, if you revive an old scroll, that you haven't read recent novels though, so that later events won't be mentioned by the scribes picking up the discussion again.

I know I was away from the Realms for about five years or so, and when I started reading some older novels, I definately got some responses from my fellow scribes on the books I had just read.

And if you don't turn up a scroll with your search, heck, most of us, I'm sure, would be willing to check in on what you have to say.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  04:28:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Same with me... although I include Ed's and Elaine's works here. They are my favorite FR authors, so anything new released under their names -- regardless of whether it is Realms-fiction or not -- I read through the instant I purchase them.

Usually I go ahead and read the books as they're coming out... But, if I come to a series later, I'll generally wait until I have all of them before I read them. That's why I only recently started reading the (greatly over-hyped) War of the Spider Queen books.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  04:39:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd definately read a thread even if it was about older novels...and if I have something to say, I'll respond to it. Heck, I even made some comments about The Lost Library of Cormanthyr in the Lost Empires thread (shouldn't be too far down)...and that book came out back in 1998. People responded.

Writing about "old" novels isn't exactly something unheard of here. I don't think it's it's the case that anyone has been "left behind".

Lastly...I have to say, it must have been *ahem* interesting trying to track down all those out-of-print novels...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 14 Jul 2006 04:40:34
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  06:03:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Usually I go ahead and read the books as they're coming out... But, if I come to a series later, I'll generally wait until I have all of them before I read them. That's why I only recently started reading the (greatly over-hyped) War of the Spider Queen books.

Strangely, the WotSQ books were ones I read "as they were released."

I think that was mainly because my Drow-O-Meter was, at that point, again on Low, and I felt that I could handle a new "drow fix" so to speak.

At any rate, it's on High again, so I won't be reading any drow book for at least a year or so.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  07:54:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

I am with you. Alaundo had for a very short time, a classic's novel thread, but I think he stopped it, due to not enough activity. Start a thread within the novels section and I am sure you will have others who are interested, including myself, who are willing to discuss "any" realms source.. novels or otherwise .

Well met

Indeed. Worry not though, quajack. You'll find that if ye post thy opinions in a thread on an older novel of the Realms, scribes herein tend to respond and share their thoughts also A lot of the older novels are fondly remembered and I know of some who still go back to read many of them time and time again.

I'll look forward to hearing thy thoughts

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  09:01:18  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*blinks* When I saw the topic, I thought it had something to do with the Left Behind series of books and wondered what that had to do with FR novels.

quote:
My only complaint is that I can't comment on any of the novels released within the last 3 years. I own them all, but I don't want to read ahead in fear of "spoiling" my realms experience.

I'm not sure I understand.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  11:22:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

*blinks* When I saw the topic, I thought it had something to do with the Left Behind series of books and wondered what that had to do with FR novels.

I thought the same thing.

quote:

quote:
My only complaint is that I can't comment on any of the novels released within the last 3 years. I own them all, but I don't want to read ahead in fear of "spoiling" my realms experience.

I'm not sure I understand.

I think the concern is that reading ahead will reveal spoilers for earlier books.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  01:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I thought the same thing.

Me too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  20:42:55  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gah... I wish I'd get to be that picky, but I get about 20-30 books to choose from in Israel. Amazon ships in 11$, not so much worth it. But even if I got to be picky, I don't think every book would be worth reading, despite the fact it may have relevant information about the Realms.

If I got to be picky, I'll just buy all the books under "Realms Shaking Events" and "The Short Stories". They seem promosing enough, important enough, and should be enough for a good number of years.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/frng

Edited by - Horatio on 15 Jul 2006 20:43:21
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  20:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio

If I got to be picky, I'll just buy all the books under "Realms Shaking Events" and "The Short Stories". They seem promosing enough, important enough, and should be enough for a good number of years.

Why? As has been proven time and again, being considered RSE doesn't make a book (or usually, a trilogy) any better than the rest. Actually, in my experience, quite a few of them have been absolute stinkers, and considered pretty abysmal by most readers here. (RotA, anybody? The Avatar trilogy? Yeeeugh.)

That, or you could broaden your reading list a bit and venture out of FR some.

Edited by - Winterfox on 15 Jul 2006 20:57:12
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  21:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just read what you feel like reading...basically I read the Cormyr saga before Empires Trilogy, so I knew Azoun wouldn't die during Crusade and since I'd already read Prince of Lies as well I also knew there had been orcs there, but it was still a fun read... consider them...err..prequels so to speak, but better done than the Ep. I-III ones...if not in style then at least storywise...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  21:15:10  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even when you know someone isn't going to die because they're alive or die in Series X, it's still fun to see how they get out of it.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  21:21:05  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Why? As has been proven time and again, being considered RSE doesn't make a book (or usually, a trilogy) any better than the rest. Actually, in my experience, quite a few of them have been absolute stinkers, and considered pretty abysmal by most readers here. (RotA, anybody? The Avatar trilogy? Yeeeugh.)

Huh? why would you dare to presume information about me?

Well, *shrugs* I guess you asked for it. Especially for you, cobber, my non-FR list of books that I read:

Don Quixote, Oxford edition, by Cervantes, traslated by Charles Javis.
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, by Tolkien.
Henry V (the movie adaptation is still my favorite of all times), The Merchant of Venice, Hamlet and Much Ado about Nothing - Shakespeare.
Dublin, by Edward Rutherfurd
The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D Salinger
The Age of Miracles, by Catherine MacCoun

Okay, not a very long list (though some of them are THICK!), but I read them long before any FR stuff (I only started several months ago with the FR novels). So all in all, I'd say that your comment is out of place-- particularly because I still read non-FR stuff simultaneously.

Edited by - Horatio on 15 Jul 2006 21:21:58
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  21:50:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Horatio--read what you prefer to read. However, I have to agree that novels that are "Realms-shaking events" aren't necessarily the best novels to read, and I personally enjoy the more personal stories, myself. A novel may not change the setting very much (and around here, some of us consider that a good thing, not a bad thing), but it can still be a very effective tale for the reader. Elaine Cunningham's novels aren't really RSEs, but many people around here, myself included, love them.

Short stories are usually great (they usually are personal stories, which I like), but even those can be hit or miss...even when written by authors I love.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  21:51:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think Winterfox was just offering a friendly suggestion, actually.

Go to Top of Page

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  22:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unnecessary suggestion to a misconceived presumption.

I have no doubt you have a good point about some of the RSE. I haven't been introduced to many authors yet, but I'll see about Elaine Cunningham's.
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  22:13:45  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tracking down all of the OOP books wasn't as difficult as you'd think it would be. The Shadow Stone was the hardest to locate and the Double Diamond series cost me an arm and a leg. For all of the complaining I've heard about Black Wolf's availability I was suprised to find it in a local Borders about a year ago. Song of the Saurials was elusive as well. I owe my complete Realms novel collection to ebay.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  22:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aren't we jumpy and defensive?

quote:
Well, *shrugs* I guess you asked for it. Especially for you, cobber, my non-FR list of books that I read:

Don Quixote, Oxford edition, by Cervantes, traslated by Charles Javis.
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, by Tolkien.
Henry V (the movie adaptation is still my favorite of all times), The Merchant of Venice, Hamlet and Much Ado about Nothing - Shakespeare.
Dublin, by Edward Rutherfurd
The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D Salinger
The Age of Miracles, by Catherine MacCoun

Well, it... uh, is certainly very standard-ish. Yay for you?

I'd say you're looking for slights where none's intended. I made the "read outside FR novels" comment because you said this:

quote:
Gah... I wish I'd get to be that picky, but I get about 20-30 books to choose from in Israel. Amazon ships in 11$, not so much worth it. But even if I got to be picky, I don't think every book would be worth reading, despite the fact it may have relevant information about the Realms.

...which suggests you're rather limiting your choices, and if you're somewhere where FR books aren't available in great variety, then reading non-FR books would probably be a better idea.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  22:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quajack

The Shadow Stone was the hardest to locate

Had it not been for expensive shipping costs, I'd have been happy to ship my copy of that to anyone who wants it.
Go to Top of Page

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  22:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It suggests I'm limiting my FR choices, NOT overall. I never said I don't read anything beside the FR, so of course I'd be "jumpy and defensive" when you go:

quote:

Notice how it's written? as if you've known me for years and know what I read.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  23:12:30  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*shrugs* How you interpret it is not my problem.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  23:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of us are here to belittle or berate you, why would we?

As for RSEs, I'd suggest reading some other FR stuff... that, or other fiction, catching up on all the realms books is a long and hard, and in cases expensive task, and some don't come close to being worth the money...there are enough books out there to choose. For example, I didn't buy certain "Harpers" books when I had the chance, primarily because the author ... well...sucked (he was the one NOT writing Waterdeep in Avatar). Given the choice I'd prolly go back and read some Perry Rhodan instead of reading Shadowdale and Tantras...

So yes, instead of reading some bad books you should rather read some better books...but that's just me

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  23:27:36  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't matter if he tried to berate me or not, he based his opinion on perception, not on fact, and suggested something accordingly. Besides, "broaden your horizon"? give me a break.

Seriously, that's like someone going to a computer forum asking how to get rid of a virus, and someone telling him that he should get out of the house more often.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  23:34:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just let it go, all right? It's not a big deal.

Anyway, for some book suggestions, there is a sticky in this forum for that topic--take a look.

Go to Top of Page

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  23:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanna let it go, you keep replying about it.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  00:17:39  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Horatio, give Elfshadow by Elaine Cunningham a try, I think you might like it.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000