Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Sex & the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  01:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message
Or worried about hurting his true friend Wulfgar...

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:26:55  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message
So far as the goblins, I always got the impression that Drizzt tried to show tolerance, at least after the Nojheim incident - i.e. trying to negotiate with them in Sea of Swords. Of course, that didn't work out so well (neither did Catti-brie's earlier attempt in The Legacy), but I wouldn't say he took joy in the subsequent killfests. Also, in Starless Night another drow condemned a goblin to some kind of slow death, I think drowning. If I remember right Drizzt proceeded to have angst over being unable to help it.

I thought Alustriel had a thing for him ever since I read about the heart-shaped locket with his picture, even if it wasn't necessarily reciprocated.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  06:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
With all due respect, all that's needed for Alustriel to have a thing is a pulse.

:-)

And that's just until the Lady of the Courts meets a CG Vampire.

Bob Salvatore writes her more as Galadriel though.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  19:08:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
No sex in the realms since January...that is unacceptable!

I found it refreshing that with the amount of nudity in The Storm of Dead, that Lisa did not go the easy route and insert some gratutious sex. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)
But of all the types of books I read, Realms novels usually do the best job handling sex.
If it fits the character, it happens...If not, it doesn't. Hard to thing of an instance where it was "shoehorned" in just just spice things up.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  23:12:20  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
Drizzt getting jumped by Alustriel would only terrify him more, the things Alustriel would do and probably want... oh my!

Drizzt is young in elf terms, so yeah, sex is an awkward subject for him, probably made worse by the fact his system, the one that raised him more or less, wanted a piece of him when he graduated the fighter academy (if I remember right.)

quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

There are also - VERY rarely - Dwelves (Elf/Dwarves) and Human/Dwarf crossbreeds, too. :)

Lol.. elf women are too boney for dwarves and humans generally don't like women with beards. ;)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 10 Sep 2007 23:13:20
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  09:21:11  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Coming to think of it, the last (and only) time I read something sexy-ish in an FR novel was Liriel climbing all over her barbarian in Daughter of the Drow. Not exactly new, ain't it. Maiden of Pain wasn't showing any sex either, probably disappointing some who had hope for more insights into the practices of the Loviatans. :) If only the Wizards had accepted my proposal back then ...

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  12:42:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Coming to think of it, the last (and only) time I read something sexy-ish in an FR novel was Liriel climbing all over her barbarian in Daughter of the Drow. Not exactly new, ain't it. Maiden of Pain wasn't showing any sex either, probably disappointing some who had hope for more insights into the practices of the Loviatans. :) If only the Wizards had accepted my proposal back then ...

Yeah they could have done quite a bit in Lady of Pain and still fit the characters!!

I for one would love to hear about your proposal

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  14:50:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

Well its been a while, but I seem to remember there being something in Salvatores Spine of the World and in the first of Lisa Smedman's The House of Serpents books. Don't ask me what or how much though, as my memory is not all that good.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  14:58:28  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza
humans generally don't like women with beards. ;)

But we know beer was invented for a reason, don't we?

Sorry, too much of an easy shot.

On a serious note, what's the the consensus with Dwarven women nowadays? Second Edition had them with beards, and very strange they looked too. Whereas most illustrations since Third Edition have them as beardless, which I think is better by far.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 11 Sep 2007 14:58:53
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  15:12:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
From what I remember someone found out that it was wrong for the dwarven women to have beards in 3ed., as it was wrong for gnomes to have huge noses. Both of these irritate the *** out of me still. To me both dwarven women and elves are able to grow beards.
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  15:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message
The House of Serpents books had me going to google to find out about snake um... privates. I think Ms. Smedman must be a fan of the nature channel.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  15:49:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza
humans generally don't like women with beards. ;)

But we know beer was invented for a reason, don't we?

Sorry, too much of an easy shot.

On a serious note, what's the the consensus with Dwarven women nowadays? Second Edition had them with beards, and very strange they looked too. Whereas most illustrations since Third Edition have them as beardless, which I think is better by far.

2E canon had them just as hirsute as males. That's what I'm used to, despite the fact that, to human eyes, bearded females are not as visually appealing. However, I'm willing to assume a middle ground between what 2E and 3E says: either very fine beard or goatees, or maybe just a good set of sideburns.

I've honestly never quite understood why dwarves are so attached (pardon the pun) to their beards, anyway, but it's something I accept as a cultural thing and move on. After all, without going into specifics, I do know of real-world cultures where beards are important. I could analyze what I think is the psychology behind that, but I'm not a psychologist, and public speculation on that could get really ugly, real fast. People get sensitive about their cultural mores.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  15:51:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

FRCS page 10 says some woman grow beards and Ed's replies have the same info but I forgot which year it was in.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  15:52:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

The House of Serpents books had me going to google to find out about snake um... privates. I think Ms. Smedman must be a fan of the nature channel.

Now see, that's one of those things that, like certain female biological features, I put in the category of Things Man Was Not Meant To Know. Somethings we guys don't have to deal with, and I find it's better to not ponder them. The matter of snake winkies is a similar area: I just don't need to know about it!

... Though I do appreciate Ms. Smedman's willingness to be biologically accurate.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  17:02:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

[blink] Wait . . . Depths came out in March . . . definitely sex in that . . .

Oh. Right. You're talking about the thread.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  17:25:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

FRCS page 10 says some woman grow beards and Ed's replies have the same info but I forgot which year it was in.

Per the original lore, it's noted that only a few female Shield Dwarves shave, including the presence of beards on dwarven females. Aside from the FRCS, Races of Faerûn also claims that only a few are bearded.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Sep 2007 17:37:37
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  17:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Yeah they could have done quite a bit in Lady of Pain and still fit the characters!!

I for one would love to hear about your proposal

Not to quote the author, but I think he mentioned that he wanted to show Loviatans in a way that was different/broader from what a lot of people tend to think of them (ie. S&M lovers). If that was his goal, he succeeded I think.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  21:04:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Not to quote the author, but I think he mentioned that he wanted to show Loviatans in a way that was different/broader from what a lot of people tend to think of them (ie. S&M lovers). If that was his goal, he succeeded I think.

I did not catch that, thanks for the info.
I would also say he suceeded.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  21:06:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I did not catch that, thanks for the info.
I would also say he suceeded.

You're welcome, but as I said I don't have any specific quote.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  22:48:58  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Cheers

Indeed. Forgot that ... somehow. Perhaps because I was a wee bit disappointed about the way Fox had changed from Realms of the Elves.

As for Maiden of Pain, the lass presented in there was a low-level LN acolyte and the author did well in describing the faith in a more objective (matter of factly, much as it actually IS described in Faiths & Avatars) way. Same goes for Paul S. Kemp and the Sharrans - though I still don't like them.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  00:52:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Cheers

Your Incorrigable!

Wonder if 'Light will take on the big guy sometime in the future now that they are "stuck with each other"?
(With "light maybe be more of a when rather than if)

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  02:28:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:

Your Incorrigable!

Heck--I was one of the early participants in the thread. Happy to see it back.

quote:

Wonder if 'Light will take on the big guy sometime in the future now that they are "stuck with each other"?
(With "light maybe be more of a when rather than if)

Hmm. Well, a discussion of the elf/goliath sex scenes that may or may not happen in books I may or may not write is a little beyond the scope of this thread . . . or perhaps it isn't.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  03:07:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hmm. Well, a discussion of the elf/goliath sex scenes that may or may not happen in books I may or may not write is a little beyond the scope of this thread . . . or perhaps it isn't.
Oh, don't tempt us like that Erik!

Seriously though, I'd like to see a little more development in the relationship between Twilight and Gargan. His comments to her at the end of Depths left subtle hints in my mind...

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  14:53:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Your Incorrigable!

Heck--I was one of the early participants in the thread. Happy to see it back.

Participant....Instigator.....Same difference!

quote:

Cheers

I say it fits rather well. In the spirit of the Orc King discussions, we could say we are working on a Prologue for your next 'Light Novel!!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  15:12:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Oh, don't tempt us like that Erik!

Didn't you know? I have a Certificate in Corruption from the Abyssal Academy.

quote:
Seriously though, I'd like to see a little more development in the relationship between Twilight and Gargan. His comments to her at the end of Depths left subtle hints in my mind...

I guess we'll see. Though I rather think--instead of a sexual relationship--it would be far more interesting to explore a platonic friendship between the two. As noted, Twilight isn't the type who has friends. Lovers, yes--friends . . . iffy.

quote:

Participant....Instigator.....Same difference!

Tuition at the academy was 100 souls a year--gotta put it to good use.

quote:
I say it fits rather well. In the spirit of the Orc King discussions, we could say we are working on a Prologue for your next 'Light Novel!!

Heh heh--who's tempting who, now?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  15:22:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Heh heh--who's tempting who, now?

Cheers

Turnabout is only fair Erik!

We arent't trying to put you behind the...
Ok we are trying.

We only wanna help

P.S. We know you now have visions of 'Light and Gargan "prancing" around your head!

edit: Removed xrta [

Edited by - The Red Walker on 12 Sep 2007 15:24:21
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  15:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:

P.S. We know you now have visions of 'Light and Gargan "prancing" around your head!

Hmm . . . "prancing" . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  17:10:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I guess we'll see. Though I rather think--instead of a sexual relationship--it would be far more interesting to explore a platonic friendship between the two. As noted, Twilight isn't the type who has friends. Lovers, yes--friends . . . iffy.
Very true. And it's in-keeping with what we've previously learned about some of Twilight's past sexual experiences.

Strangely, it may be that Gargan is coming into any potential relationship between the two, looking for something more grounded and permanent. Whereas, Twilight's in it simply as a matter of course -- the relationship between Gargan and Twilight has led to this point -- she'll explore it sexually, and move on.

OTOH, this new relationship, depending upon how it develops, could affect Twilight in new and interesting ways. If things proceed slowly, and Twilight eventually becomes accustomed to her growing relationship with Gargan, she may begin to consider feelings and attitudes that she's rarely explored in the past -- it may become something more than merely platonic. And if that happens, she may finally reach a point where she realises a truly deep and meaningful connection to another living being.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  18:01:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
Sage:
Hmm--wise, grasshopper, very wise . . .

Stay tuned!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  18:58:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
I want to mention that I, too, would love to see Twilight finally become friends with someone simply for friendship. Maybe she has a new perspective on things after all she's been through...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000