Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Sex & the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  12:25:11  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Um...anyone who had sex at least ONCE is more experienced than Drizzt!

I am not sure normal elves would approve of a drow bonking a sun elf, even if he is a good drow. Kinda racist, but who can blame them *shrug*

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  12:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message
She's a moon elf i think and isn't that just the right kind of thing to bring a breath of fresh air to the series, imagine Drizzt having to meet his elf-in-laws and their friends, who realise that Drizzt has been bonking that said elf LOL!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  12:45:38  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Well, BatMan bonked Catwoman...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  12:53:05  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message
He did? Sorry i don't really follow his comics that closely haha but then again those two are real party animals :D
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  19:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Um...anyone who had sex at least ONCE is more experienced than Drizzt!

I suspect anyone who has masturbated at least once is more experienced than he.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  19:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Can you imagine a Drizzt journal entry on his first masturbation experience... hehehe

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  20:09:35  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Can you imagine a Drizzt journal entry on his first masturbation experience... hehehe

no, I vote that the best post of the week

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  03:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message
haha Mace maybe u could do a parody on that "MOMENTOUS" occasion.
U ROCK MAN!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  03:59:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Let's not...

Besides, this thread is about sex; while masturbation certainly falls into that category, the word "sex" is usually associated with two or more people engaging in intercourse. And that was the original subject matter, which we should perhaps return to.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  08:51:56  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
To get this discussion going again; what about mixed species relationships. The elf/human thing is well established. What then about exploring relationships between other species and where should the limits go? I am talking as much about romantic emotions here as about sex.

I think that's about the only subject this thread hasn't covered yet.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  08:59:12  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
I think this is one of those ideas that it's really hard to even discuss.

We have canon examples of some REALLY weird cross-breeds, often between intelligent creatures. The very fact that there's a slew of dragonspawn and half-dragon creatures of all species is kind of really creepy, if you think about it, given that dragons, while stupendously powerful and smart, still have psychologies equivalent to those of humans/mortals.

Fiends are a little different; they are so pure in a given mindset that they are further removed from human thought pattern, so to me it feels 'less icky' at the thought of half-Demon Whatever's running around.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  09:16:57  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message
But it should also be noted that not all Half-races in the game are the product of well. . .reproduction (for want of a better word), some, like the baphitaurs and half-illitids( i think) are the results of some really bizzare experimentations
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  09:27:40  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Which may have included sexual contact of some sort...

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  09:52:56  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message
As regards the latest comments about Drizzt, all I say is perhaps we have a reason why he wears those Bracers of Lightning Strike on his ankles.

Sorry, I am trying to get out more but the sanatorium insists I'm supervised...

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

what about mixed species relationships. The elf/human thing is well established. What then about exploring relationships between other species and where should the limits go? I am talking as much about romantic emotions here as about sex.

As regards inter-species offspring it does seem to be the 'glamorous' races that seem to get most of the action. Leaving aside the physical aspect of a glaebrezu and a drow mating to produce a draegloth, we have half-elves, various types of genasi and half-fiends.

Dwarfs, halflings and gnomes don't really get that involved in the mix. Although, as I recall derro are half human-half dwarf or the race derived from that combination. Wasn't there a halfling/elf race as well? (Elfling?)

As for romance, if two members of seperate species feel an honest and sincere attraction for one another then I'm sufficiently mature to cope with that. Although, I do wonder about the biological compatability.

The very presence of Half-elves suggest that elves and humans are biologically compatable. Likewise the presence of half-orcs strongly suggest that orcs and humans share biological compatability. Which probably doesn't make many people's day. Half-feinds and half-dragons can be explained as being possible due to certain magical effects; polymorph in the case of dragons and maybe a possible spiritual explanation for half-fiends and half-celestials.

Or maybe the game designers have to make up new monsters for each new sourcebook? I think I'm just too cynical for my own good.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 10 Aug 2006 09:54:09
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  10:02:38  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
There are also - VERY rarely - Dwelves (Elf/Dwarves) and Human/Dwarf crossbreeds, too. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  10:11:56  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message
Hmmm i think i read somewhere that sometimes Dwarves would kidnap human girls to replenish their population as their fertility rate had been going down, because the subsequent half-dwarf (or since human fertility is significantly higher, dwarves) would mate with a dwarf, which would produce another full-blooded dwarf, ack i can't believe i forgot where i read this from
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  11:25:38  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Well, for example, a story of a lovesick satyr would be both a cliche and the possibility to examine the species further. The same goes for more standard races; what about a human male in love with a (non-comical)dwarven female?

Biological nearness and fertility would play a role to a degree, but the emotional and intellectual part of love could give very strange attractions. Dopplegangers, centaurs, fey races, lycanthropes etc. Dark stories, funny stories, romantic stories; there are countless of themes that can be examined within the novels. When you have so many races mingling in a world this would give some strange combinations. It works to a degree in Star Wars novel, so why not in the realms?
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  11:39:31  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Biological nearness and fertility would play a role to a degree

Surely you jest. Since when has FR biology been logical or, well, biological? In D&D, anything can breed with anything.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  11:48:03  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
That's pretty much truth - because real world science doesn't exactly apply to FR science.

And look at Xanth for an example. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  11:53:36  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

Originally posted by Winterfox
Surely you jest. Since when has FR biology been logical or, well, biological? In D&D, anything can breed with anything.

My point is that the inter-species fertility question is one thing, but there are more than enough possibilities outside of these. The 3ed realms has half this half that all over the place, logical and illogical, but lust or romantic feelings need not, quite obviously, be tied to ability to produce offspring.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  11:53:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aes Tryl

Hmmm i think i read somewhere that sometimes Dwarves would kidnap human girls to replenish their population as their fertility rate had been going down, because the subsequent half-dwarf (or since human fertility is significantly higher, dwarves) would mate with a dwarf, which would produce another full-blooded dwarf, ack i can't believe i forgot where i read this from

Dwarves Deep and it was written as a rumor/untrue tale.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  14:31:18  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Aes Tryl

Dwarves Deep and it was written as a rumor/untrue tale.

what rumor? that they kidnaped human females?

as Dwarves Deep does say a human/dwarf crossbreed in game mechanics is a dwarf that is a few inches taller...for soem reason TSR never bit on the half-dwarf (until Dark Sun, but the muls don't count) and that dwarven men did eithor romance or hire human women to bear their children to save the dwarven race...

the evil side to that possibility (kidnapping, forcing women, etc.) was not mentioned but dwarves are just as capable of such evil as any other mortal race...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  14:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message
That would be an interesting twist/concept. . . imagine a desperate, turned evil(relatively) Dwarven realm which kidnaps human women as part of a breeding/repopulation program and begin to terrorise the areas adjacent to it. . . quite the adventure i would say. . . especially when confronted with the twisted yet logical rationale of dwarves perhaps driven to desperation and bitterness by years of hard war?
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  23:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
It seems that things have loosened up a bit around the Realms' novels depictions of sex. Ed has always wanted the Realms to be a place of liberal sexuality and unfettered by our typical concepts of monogamy and the like yet sometimes the novels can be pretty darn obtuse. Given that one shelf space over is books like Anita Blake, one tends to sigh about the prudishness inthe industry sometime (Not that I think that we should be anything like that series despite Miss Hamilton's former writing for Ravenloft).

Of course, sometimes Realms sex seems just STRANGE too. Isn't Alustriel usually pregnant but because of her magic, all of the weight is spread out across her body? I mean, that's probably just a way of keeping her luscious and desirable but its pretty darn creepy too. Plus, we never actually figure out how the Seven Sisters FEEL about sex except for a single bit of talk by the Simbul in Simbul's Gift where she says it's a memory for the mortals and not to make more of it than it is. I don't have a problem with Azoun or his daughter being some of the randy-est people in the Realms but it works better in small amounts than everyone is fine with everything. I actually rather like the diversity though for sexual mores. It feels more like real life.

Let's face it, the Middle Ages and well before were just as filled with sex and want as any other time period in history. There were folk who were chaste and worried deeply about it while others were "more please!" Part of why I like Arilyn Moonblade. Danillo is certainly a man whom has probably known the favors of numerous women yet decides to be faithful for Arilyn while she's utterly chaste except for a one night stand with Woodchuck (I forget his actual name) and later Danny. There's also the terminal virginity of Drizzt Do'urden even though a friend of mine keeps asking me to ask on the Salvatore boards whether Drizzt had an encounter with the elf lady in the final book. The fact that I have no idea whether he's right or not does tell me something is wrong though.

I'm not advocating the Realms turn into HBO's Rome (though oddly, the sheer volume of sex on that show strangely didn't seem gratituous to me but refreshing that there wasn't much more to do then). However, I rather enjoy it when character's odd relationships are spelled out. Artemis Enteri's tragic romance in his recent novel was something that actually made the character more interesting for me.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  01:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps
There's also the terminal virginity of Drizzt Do'urden even though a friend of mine keeps asking me to ask on the Salvatore boards whether Drizzt had an encounter with the elf lady in the final book.

I've read all the Drizzt books, and I'm 99% sure he never slept with the elf (Innovindil). Depending how you read one part of the last book, however, he probably DID sleep with Catti-brie, even though the wording couldn't be less explicit if it tried.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  15:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Drizzt needs to get laid, maybe his outlook on life will be less bleak

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  15:15:32  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I don't mind Drizzt's bleak outlook.

But it is always rather strange when he's bemoaning being judged for his skin then talks of his joy of murdering Goblins.

And to tie it into sex, I wouldn't mind Drizzt GROWING UP about it though. The character would be a lot more interesting if he'd had sex with Alustriel, a certain Dark Elf Chosen of Mystra, and generally playboyed around.

;-)

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 05 Jan 2007 15:19:18
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  09:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message
I think you're all forgetting he is an ELF, and he is a relatively young one at that (the last I knew). An elf's priorities are not like the short-lived humans. He also is'nt like Lolth's followers who disdain any profound positive emotions. He, like his lighter cousins, don't make the fast move like Morik or any rough human. He is patient and with patience, great things come, like a deeper relationship in the future. I admire THAT. Beeing around a beauty like Cattie-Brie and not taking any advantage.

I remember Jarlaxle's feelings when he saw Cattie-Brie when she went after him in Menzobarranzan, but Jarlaxle IS a devious and self-interested, not like Drizzt. Drizzt could possibly wait a few centuries for a lady he fell for. (Not Cattie-Brie of course)

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.

Edited by - Ranin on 06 Jan 2007 09:25:09
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  15:39:00  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
quote:
But it is always rather strange when he's bemoaning being judged for his skin then talks of his joy of murdering Goblins.

not so strange for me. I know lots of hypocritical people who always want people to do as they say, not as they do. I could give lots of real life examples.

But it does get horribly boring page after page, book after book. Maybe sex will lighten him up.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  23:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ranin

I think you're all forgetting he is an ELF, and he is a relatively young one at that (the last I knew). An elf's priorities are not like the short-lived humans. He also is'nt like Lolth's followers who disdain any profound positive emotions. He, like his lighter cousins, don't make the fast move like Morik or any rough human. He is patient and with patience, great things come, like a deeper relationship in the future. I admire THAT. Beeing around a beauty like Cattie-Brie and not taking any advantage.

Not that I'm really arguing that Drizzt should make a "fast move" (and by the way, it's not like human men are all "rough" and can't be patient--plenty of guys *can* be patient, as I know from experience ), but going by the actual text, it's not that Drizzt was waiting for Catti-brie to come around, it's that he was just plain indecisive about being with her, because he was worried about what it'd be like to outlive her, or what problems any half-drow children would face.

So Drizzt's "slow sex life" is really the result of worry and indecision rather than patiently waiting for Catti-brie to be "ready".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Jan 2007 23:20:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000