Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dales History
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  08:16:02  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What would be a good source for Dales history other than Volo's Guide to the Dales.. Got it, read it, looking for more.. Ideally looking for history dealing with the first human migrations to the Daleslands.. Any ideas?

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  08:23:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
several of the 2E sourcebooks, located at the WoTC site, reference the north. FRCS, The 2E forgotten realms campaign boxed set, There is also a great history of the realms, homebrew sourcebook, floating around this site that has an excellent timeline. ( sages please help with a couple of links )
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  08:52:20  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be this one -- http://www.geonomicon.com/portal/

And El, Rich Baker wrote a 2nd Edition FR sourcebook for the Dalelands -- THE DALELANDS (FRS1).

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Edited by - D-brane on 24 Jun 2006 08:54:14
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  09:03:18  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FRS1 The Dalelands? That sounds just about perfect.. Except for the 2E and being completely out of print part.. Hate it when that happens.. Guess I'll just have to poke about for a copy.. Wish they would convert all that old 2E stuff to downloadable versions - I'd imagine they would make a pretty penny just from the people on these boards.. Bummer..

And yeah, got the Grand History, invaluable piece of work.. And of course have the FRCS..
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  10:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's not much history in FRS1 The Dalelands. Far more is found peripherally in the Cormanthyr accessory.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  16:31:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e campaign box set really has the best info.... as far as I recall and the 1e campaign box set as well.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  16:56:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Magnifico Uno

FRS1 The Dalelands? That sounds just about perfect.. Except for the 2E and being completely out of print part.. Hate it when that happens.. Guess I'll just have to poke about for a copy.. Wish they would convert all that old 2E stuff to downloadable versions - I'd imagine they would make a pretty penny just from the people on these boards.. Bummer..

And yeah, got the Grand History, invaluable piece of work.. And of course have the FRCS..

A lot of the old 2E stuff is available for downloading from Paizo or RPGNow, for $4 or $5.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  18:45:31  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL.. Well ask and ye shall recieve.. Guess it's time for me to start shelling out some of those pretty pennies.. Thnx!!

EDIT - Oh, and D-brane hit it right on the head. The Dalelands FRS1 had the best info.. Didn't go as in depth as I wanted, but if they did we'd never want to buy another sourcebook..

Edited by - El Magnifico Uno on 25 Jun 2006 04:48:08
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2006 :  06:46:54  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Magnifico Uno

EDIT - Oh, and D-brane hit it right on the head. The Dalelands FRS1 had the best info.. Didn't go as in depth as I wanted, but if they did we'd never want to buy another sourcebook..
Personally, I prefer the VOLO'S GUIDE TO THE DALELANDS. I like the more mundane details Volo covers in his books.

I really wish WOTC would allow Ed Greenwood to submit new guides for 3rd Edition. I assume he probably has many ideas for new VOLO'S GUIDES in his notebooks.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2006 :  08:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I always loved Volo's guides (and they are free as downloads right now) because of all the little details about the region in question to liven up your campaign.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 25 Jun 2006 08:22:40
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2006 :  09:17:17  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

The 2e campaign box set really has the best info.... as far as I recall and the 1e campaign box set as well.

All are really good sources, especially the 2E box, for Shadowdale.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  03:29:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

Well, I always loved Volo's guides (and they are free as downloads right now) because of all the little details about the region in question to liven up your campaign.

Not all of them are available for download. Volo's Guide to Waterdeep is available as a pdf, but not for free, and I don't think Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II is available for downloading at all. The rest can, of course, be obtained for free from the Wizards downloads page.

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  07:26:07  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Not all of them are available for download. Volo's Guide to Waterdeep is available as a pdf, but not for free, and I don't think Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II is available for downloading at all. The rest can, of course, be obtained for free from the Wizards downloads page.

Ah, didn't realize a few weren't. Sorry.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  11:26:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, didn't realize a few weren't. Sorry.

No worries. I was just making sure everyone had the right info.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  17:48:50  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage

There's not much history in FRS1 The Dalelands. Far more is found peripherally in the Cormanthyr accessory.

The Swordsage

FRS1 covered just the basics, but it also did cover the "Lost Dales", which are not discussed much elsewhere. I is one of the better sourses of Dales Material

Kalin

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  10:43:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget Ed's novels that have concentrated on Shadowdale in the past, and a number of other novels that have featured some of the Dales to an extent.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  10:43:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II is available in a printed version from nobleknight.com.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000