Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 wierd question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  07:35:51  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
i am making a lvl 5 Cleric that was the result of a bad spell. see she was a demigod but then she was summoned by a mage who lacked the skills nessasary for the portal to work correctly. and somehow my cleric arrived at the destination 100 years later starting at a fifth lvl cleric and instead of being 50 she turned into an 18 year old. she also has Amniesia (im too tired to spell it. well anyways my question is, she is a cleric right but how do i make this work she is a demigod who is she a cleric of? how does she get her powers? i dunno how any of this would work. please help thank you

on second thought lets not go to candlekeep it is a silly place

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  07:45:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Help, brain overload! OK, one question, is she originally born a Demigod or is she a mortal that has risen to demigod status? If the second, which gods did she pray to in life? Also, with amnesia, can she not have turned to an other god than her self; maybe this god sees the humor in this and answers her spells?

No, this becomes a little to much for my brain to handle; I am sorry I cant help any further.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  07:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this a FR question or a general D&D question?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  08:05:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would depend on her backstory... If she was elevated by another power (which is likely), then she's now a cleric of that power. If she attained godhood by slaying another deity, then just pick whoever is closest in temperment to your cleric -- much as you'd do for any other character, in regards to a patron deity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  08:54:23  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why the bloody hell would anyone develop such a thing? It may be a nice idea storywise but it seems very much like powergaming and munchkinism at its best.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  08:58:22  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I cant really see the power gaming aspect as long as the character does not get back her memory and powers. As I red the post she is at the moment just a 5level cleric.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  09:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem for is the regaining the memory part. Items, no matter how powerful can be taken away or rendered obsolete. If the amnesia is magical what would happen when the cleric enters a dead magic zone? The 'curse' is suppressed, but all of the sudden she has this memory of who and what she is; at this point she might choose to remain inside the dead magic zone and tell her companions what to do to save her.

Lots of potential for abuse I see.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  09:34:41  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there has to be at least a wish for abusing the curse by player and DM before this becomes a problem and I can see no real indication of this in the original post. All story elements can be abused if one wants to and as we know nothing more than what the poster said, it is a little early to judge the result of the PC's background.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  09:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that I, as a player, should never be given the key to cause utter mayhem, not that I'd want it, but if someone was to give it to me I sure would use it.

One of my DMs years and years ago handed out so many things which at that time were quite useless but our magic-user packrat had catalogued every single bleedin' item (he also had a cart to transport all that junk!) and there came a time when an item he had stowed away was able to sink half of an invasion fleet.

So yes, I am naturally suspicious...well...some would say paranoid, but I always see the potential of abuse.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  09:48:12  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, but you will have to agree that there is little point in the two of us going back and forth over this when we don't know anything about the people and campaign in question? Unless brjr2001, tells us more of the game he is in this is only the two of us guessing. Fun, but little use really.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  10:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True enough on both accounts

Go to Top of Page

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  17:03:29  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry i took a nap. im going to say she attained her powers. and im actually going to change that whole Amnisia thing. what i am going to have happen is that she enters the teleporter and something goes wrong where she doesn't come out on the other side. eventually she does come out but when she comes out of the teleport she also deaged through magical means.

i just wanted to know where do Dieties get their powers? just for curiosity sake. i know i should propally check in one of the dieties books. i just don't have them.

on second thought lets not go to candlekeep it is a silly place
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  17:20:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From worship and veneration.

But unless she offed another deity, it would most likely take a long time -- as in, centuries -- to build up a serious worshipper base.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  03:37:10  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

While I personally do tend to like unique characters, this one is a bit much for me personally.

However - one thought comes to mind - depending somewhat on what your intent/need is to have the character being a demigod.

How about the character is not a demi-god, but rather a very powerful servant, like a Solar or some such - that is changed by the teleporter. Then, obviously - the cleric 5 could worship said power. Its even possible that said power sent the character forward in time, and de-aged them in order to help with some plan or mechantion that they are planning.

Just a slightly different take.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  03:56:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way to become a deity is to get a profolio. Divine Rank however is more a factor of how much the profolio is venerated, number of worshipers to the deity, how devoted one is to the deity and so on. There are no set rules as to how one gains divine rank, the rules do indicate that a deity needs to have at least one portfolio access (Divine Rank 0 do not need a portfolio, but also can not grant spells).
Portfolios can be shared, or an obscure one that is not claimed. It of course requires great skill to get either a share of a known one (which requires existing deities willing to share) or to find or invent one that currently is not claimed. A quest of at least one life time and might be one of many thousands of years.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  10:47:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brjr2001

i just wanted to know where do Dieties get their powers? just for curiosity sake. i know i should propally check in one of the dieties books. i just don't have them.

For a better understanding of the relationship between deities and their "power", I'd recommend you read through the introductory sections of Faiths & Avatars.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000